Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The only playback command I see came around that time came from a Samsung S10 phone. Does that timeframe link with anyone leaving the house to go to work or school at that time? I've seen mobile devices that connect to Bluetooth in a car and immediately send a play command, which could trigger the Sonos app to tell the players to play, if it's still on WiFi.
HI, we have the same issue with our system. Seems to be routinely starting at same time most days 8:23 am.
2-3 users with Spotify linked accounts. No alarms are activated although ee have used them in the past.
Is it a Spotify alarm setting?
Aalthough when it is playing it shows Deezer logo above the track name. (We sometimes use Deezer within the Sonos app). Diagnostic 2111556366
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@laurileincecini the most recent command on that diagnostic to play music came in around 13:46 UTC on the 7th. And that command came from your Android phone. Other than that, I don't see any other play commands in the log for the last day or so. If you can get a diagnostic right after it starts playing, that's best.

If you have something else in your Queue, does it still load and play that same Spotify playlist? If so, I wonder if this could be some smart home integration acting up. Do you happen to have IFTTT or something along that front connected with your system?

Also, as jgatie said, this could be Spotify direct control acting up, so I'd recommend playing a radio station and then stopping it before you wander off. That'll disconnect any Spotify direct control sessions.
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks

Has an outside person used their Spotify app to play to your system recently? If so, they are still connected and can be triggering the mystery track. To disconnect them, clear the playlist from the queue.
One of my Sonos Play 1 plays at random times night and day by its self. Same song from same Spotify playlist

Diagnostic number is 1439363373

been going on now daily for over 3 weeks.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A small charge of C4 and a sensitive trigger should break the cat of that bad habit at the cost of only a few speakers.

Or... Wipe the Cheetos off your fingers before adjusting the Sonos! 🙂
Hah! After a dozen or so random music starts in the past year I decide to google whats up. Had two tonight. Wondering if one of my friends that has been on my wifi controlling spotify was trolling me.

It is definitely CatMode(tm). He was licking the top of my Sonos One rears. Great thread thanks all!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If Spotify keeps triggering playback from one of your devices that was connected, the best way to disconnect is to just play something else. All Sonos systems have Internet Radio on them, just play 2 seconds of any station. It'll disconnect the active Spotify Direct Control session, and you won't have to worry about someone else starting up a stream.

Same problem. More info please.

diagnostic #: 1587053013
Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

Diagnostic conf 718617016
@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...

@Ryan S So what is my solution if I use Spotify solely to play music?
I ended up purchasing a cat bed that was heated, so my cat, who loved any heat he could sit on, had a place other than the top of my speakers. 🙂 Then Sonos came out with the ability to turn off the buttons, but by then, my cat was too old to get up on top of the speakers, and liked his heated bed too much.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Caught red hand-pawed! Well if you find that you don't use the buttons on the units themselves, under Room Settings you can disable the buttons. Otherwise, you'll have to figure out some other way to prevent the cat from getting to them...
@Ryan S

After nine years, my cat finally crawled into the back of the media rack (it has a locked front door) and was sleeping against the Sonos Connect units. Caught him today.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Called it. Just sayin'.
Internally, we called the setting to turn off the speaker touch controls "cat mode" because of the number of times a pet sitting on a warm player would trigger volume or playback changes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Called it. Just sayin'.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Looks like most of the recent playback commands your system has received are from a Spotify app, I can't say which one though. If you usually use Spotify direct control to play music on Sonos, you can disconnect a previously started session by using the Sonos app to play anything aside from Spotify on the players. This will prevent your phone from randomly starting something due to an errant button press, or maybe swapping to Bluetooth.

I would also love to know what started my Sonos which happened this morning sometime close to 6:10 AM ET.

@Tmarin, from what I can see on the diagnostic, it looks like someone (or something) pressed the play/pause button on the Master Bedroom device, starting the playback of what was last played. If it wasn't a person, there could have been something pressed against the front of the player, touching the button, or perhaps a pet swatted the front...

Hi Ryan,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I'll keep a close eye on it 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
@Double-U-Dee, on both of those diagnostics the player was sent a play command from the IP address of a Synology device on your network to load and play a song. It's most likely you have an app installed on that device (likely a NAS drive) which triggered the playback to start. From the command that's trying to load a song I'd start with looking at /../webman/3rdparty/AudioStation/webUI/
My Beam also starts playing by itself. It happens about half an hour to an hour after we turn of the tv. Not always but more than sometimes.

I never play Spotfiy. I always play songs right of my phone or my NAS. The songs that start playing by themselves are the songs I played the last through my android app.

The two last times:
30/05/2019 round 17u-18u: diagnostics rapport: 956711032
30/05/2019 22u45 diagnostics rapport 1786817551
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The diagnostic within 10 minutes and then directly (not here) contacting Sonos support (see the contact page for options) would be my suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Also cats and small children have been identified as causes too, but its most commonly Spotify as Bruce says.
Since this has never been exposed as an actual Sonos software problem, but a variety of external inputs, from Spotify Connect (is that the name?), to TV's turning on for firmware updates, to alarms not cleared properly, it would be hard for Sonos to answer, without a diagnostic from your system. If they have that, they can see what prompted your Sonos to start playing.
Happened to me . My wife was screaming. Like horror music. Any answer sonos?
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
This has happened to mine twice overnight, please could someone check 1854147491