Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

And one from today. 
I asked Alexa to play something in the kitchen (which would have played from Spotify) and then moved into the lounge and longed pressed the play button on my lounge speaker to play the music in the kitchen also in the lounge. 
this worked well - but I’ve just had my music interrupted by what sounded like a radio station. It played for about 15 second then went off - the music is now back to playing only from the kitchen. 

id had the tv and switch on about 10 minutes ago - so it does seem there might be a connection here with turning the tv off and then something paying on the Arc after about 10 mins. 

it’s very very odd. 

today’s diagnostic : 804698996

Tonight’s diagnostic : 1401675340

Tonight’s diagnostic : 1646806054

seems to happen about 10 minutes after we’ve turned the tv and PlayStation off following watching Netflix on the PS4. 

the things that are played we haven’t been listening to - no idea what it was tonight but it comes on really loudly - sounded like some sort of documentary. 
In the past we’ve had some U2 playing, some teenage kick (the undertones) - nine of which we’ve been listening to - it starts midway through the songs  

it plays for about 15 seconds really loudly then goes off. 

if it keeps happening I’m afraid I’ll have to return my whole Sonos setup. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Gremlinsky

Thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community and letting us know about your concern. Apologies for the late response. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking the diagnostic, there are AirPlay and Spotify direct sessions detected in the report. These sessions can be performed directly played from the mobile device or Spotify app to start the playback on Sonos devices without using the Sonos app.

Are there other devices that you're using to stream music on your Sonos speakers?
How often do you experience this with your Sonos devices? Do you have a specific time?

I'd like to recommend that in case you encountered the issue is to submit a diagnostic and let us know the confirmation number for us to check. You can also contact our phone support team to perform real-time troubleshooting to determine what's causing the issue. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Can anybody help ?

This has been happening to me since installing my arc and one SLs 

diagnostic : 1415100533

I didn’t have any alarms on Alexa either. Logged off on everythig on spotify.com and changed the password. Haven’t had any new cases the last two days so that hopefully solved it.

You don’t have any alarms in Sonos…. what about in Alexa?

Has anyone else used their own Spotify app to play music on your system recently?

Has the device used to set up Alexa on your system also been used to set up Alexa elsewhere?

The diagnostic should help identify the origin of the ‘play’ command.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Any idea what might be causing it?

Spotify Connect is the usual cause.

My Sonos have started playing lullaby-like music at around 8-9 every morning the last week. I have checked and we don’t have any alarms set on the Sonos App nor do we have a cat or any other pet. We have a daughter but she hasn’t been near the speaker or any other smart device. We have WiFi that is password protected and haven’t handed it out to any of our neighbors.

We use Spotify to play music and I ran diagnostics a minute after it happened this morning and got the confirmation number: 1822972322. I checked the Sonos app while the music was playing and I couldn’t see that any music was playing so turned it off via Alexa.

Any idea what might be causing it?

Most previous instances of 'random' play on Sonos have turned out to be caused by pets, Spotify Connect or Alexa. 

Sonos is not a cloud based system.

This has not happened to me, but the Amazon Alexa forum also has similar reports of Alexa randomly saying things when not asked. My view with Alexa (and I don't see that it couldn't also apply to Sonos) is that these are (presumably) both cloud-based systems and they presumably also have bugs. I.e. responses to requests don't also go to the originator, they go to some random client. 

Had the same thing happen.  We were outside without our phones and the house started thumping some genre I don’t listen tO

I lost the first number .. hopefully this one isn’t too late.  I pressed play on a device a few minutes ago to see if a cat could have pushed it (no). The others have the touch buttons turned off

Sonos, please fix this issue. Aside from this thread, Google shows others having the same trouble across various products, but all with the mobile app.

My specific issue is with a linked TIDAL account playing via the Sonos (Android) app randomly. I’ll submit a diagnostic next time it happens, but you should have plenty of these from others already.

https://en.community.sonos.com/amazon-alexa-and-sonos-229102/randomly-playing-music-in-the-middle-of-the-night-6796580
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/aug01q/random_music/
https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/bwqhj0/sonos_randomly_turning_on/
https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/why-does-my-sonos-system-turn-itself-on-playing-a-random-song-6809234/index4.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I

Has someone succeeded in solving this issue?

Gather a diagnostic right after it happens, post the number into a fresh thread, and Sonos support can tell you why (or at least the IP address of the offending device). The Spotify app is the most common non-physical cause, based on empirical evidence here.

I have exactly the same problem. I think it will be a hell of a problem to see what the exact cause is, given that I have several Google Homes connected and a Homey (device from which you can create automatically iftt's scenarios). 

However, I've never encountered this problem before. I do not have cats and did not give anyone access to my WiFi or spotify. 

I read a lot of the same problems on this forum, but I don't see an actual solution provided besides that it is an external problem. 

Has someone succeeded in solving this issue?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I should point out that I have an amount of expertise in the IT monitoring / diagnostics / root cause analysis world and access to some relatively impressive tooling, too…

;)

On an unrelated question, the apps your signature reference - are you allowed to name them here? Always interested in options, particularly if the IOS app restores the ability to play directly from my phone’s music collection...

LOL understood. My apps are listed in my Profile, I get into trouble putting their names in posts. Its ok for me to post other people’s app names, just not my own. It does not do direct play which you asked about, because it could not for the same reason the Sonos app cannot, even if I was to write a ton of code to try. There is no allowed iOS background mode that works for it.

I should point out that I have an amount of expertise in the IT monitoring / diagnostics / root cause analysis world and access to some relatively impressive tooling, too…

;)

On an unrelated question, the apps your signature reference - are you allowed to name them here? Always interested in options, particularly if the IOS app restores the ability to play directly from my phone’s music collection...

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

OK, thanks.

And, damn. It’s the kind of thing that would be a whole lot easier to figure out for ourselves if there was any form of accessible event logs.

Not really, as someone who reads [Xbox] diagnostic logs on a daily basis, this level of logging requires serious domain expertise. The PC log I listed is somewhat readable, but it is the exception for this kind of thing in my experience, not the rule. Its actually one of the more readable ETW logs I’ve seen.

On a related note - can I see the Sonos logs data anywhere myself? Is it available to view alongside the other data visible via the controller’s IP address via http?

Basic logs are available on the PC (at C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime), but not detailed enough for this type of issue. Those require the UPnP telemetry, which only Sonos support have access to.

OK, thanks.

And, damn. It’s the kind of thing that would be a whole lot easier to figure out for ourselves if there was any form of accessible event logs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

On a related note - can I see the Sonos logs data anywhere myself? Is it available to view alongside the other data visible via the controller’s IP address via http?

Basic logs are available on the PC (at C:\ProgramData\SonosV2,_Inc\runtime), but not detailed enough for this type of issue. Those require the UPnP telemetry, which only Sonos support have access to.

Mine has just started doing this - it’s like someone has pressed the start/stop button as it resumes the radio station we normally listen to, except... louder.

So far it’s done it three times:

05:33 on Monday;

05:35 on Friday;

05:37 on Sunday.

I’m struggling to see those times as random, or as times that some external influence would pick.

Yes we do have cats, but after Monday (when I assumed they were the cause) and after reading all the above, I checked on Friday and Sunday and none of them were near the bedroom unit at the time (the only one they can get to overnight); all were fast asleep elsewhere.

No we don’t use Spotify.

Diagnostics 501954724 submitted immediately on Sunday...

Could something be interfering with the Move, I was grinding coffee at the time and the coffee grinder is sat right next to the Move, the Sonos started to play and the lights on top of the move were flashing white and red (i think). I have submitted a Diag report so hopefully got it in time

Badge

BTW, this is not a one off. It happens every few days. I've submitted multiple diagnostics.