Why does my Sonos system turn itself on, playing a random song!?

Show first post

157 replies

This has happened to us twice, just happened! I have submitted a diagnostic 1820645923 whats causing it?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe...

Well, the only other possibility that I can think of off hand is if someone has at some point connected their Spotify account to your Sonos speakers, and then failed to remove the connection. The next time they tried to play on their phone, it would start up on your system, unless you cleared it out, I think.

And I completely understand the not doing the diagnostic when awoken. I certainly wouldn't be able to do so if it happened to me, but I guess if it happens again, perhaps you'll be more inclined to remember to do so. I'll hope it doesn't happen again, though. I generally say within 10 minutes, but I think in truth there's actually 15 minutes of data stored in what is sent when you submit a diagnostic. What I don't know is if it's 15 minutes from the last Sonos command, or 15 minutes of use...so if it happens again, I'd say doing it while you're cursing would be wise.

But those are the only things I can think of that would cause music to play. Oh, random thought, if you have a pet, like a cat, it's feasible that they are on top of a speaker and actuate one of the buttons that start playback. I had that occur once, so I was happy to turn off all of the buttons on my speakers in the controller app.
Badge
Sorry. No coherent thought when getting awakened in the middle of the night. No Diagnostics were acquired.

And we have never intentionally used Sonos alarms for anything. Ever.

Any other ideas at this late date?
Did you submit the diagnostic as I mentioned? If so, post the number here, so Sonos can look at the data from your system. Or check your alarm settings, as I also suggested.
Badge
We had Sonos wake the two of us in the middle of the night June 28th, playing some genre we do not listen to, and a song we had never heard before - loudly, and more loudly than we play on our Sonos devices. We do not use Spotify. We do have access to Pandora and Amazon Music and others.

Any ideas what could possibly have happened to cause this randomly in the middle of our sleeping time? No one else was in the house.
What is the source of the music it's playing? It could be someone who connected via Spotify at one point who is playing to your Sonos system. Or, it could be that someone set an alarm on your system, and it's going off.

Why don't you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of having it happen, and contact Sonos to discuss it. There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.