End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

I rest my case, thanks for your support.

Also @train_nerd wrote ‘I was worried about whether those two older Sonos Ones would work or be obsoleted’.

Therefore, he was equating ‘obsolete’ with ‘not working’.

You are funny, one day you are telling me Google home and Alexa are like 50 year old Ford Anglia cars and the next you are redefining the meaning of words away from what is specified in the dictionary to your own definitions to suit your own purposes. I mean its laughable.

Perhaps I should redefine the word square to mean triangle - I mean that’s how it works isn’t it?

Still at least you are making me smile, which is nice :)

Perhaps you should not attribute someone else’s remarks to me?

Also @train_nerd wrote ‘I was worried about whether those two older Sonos Ones would work or be obsoleted’.

Therefore, he was equating ‘obsolete’ with ‘not working’.  (Note that I referenced his use of the term by using quote marks.)

The Collins Dictionary seems to agree with the fact that 'obsolete’ means ...no longer in use, or practice and is 'discarded' and that is most certainly not the case with the Sonos Play:1 Speaker. Just more attempts, by some here, to try to twist the truth and meaning of the actual Sonos announcements.

Users can choose to responsibly recycle their older devices if they want to.. I do not see anything in any of the Sonos announcements that is forcing them to discard, or make obsolete any Sonos device. The old devices can apparently “continue to work just as they do now”.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

You are funny, one day you are telling me Google home and Alexa are like 50 year old Ford Anglia cars and the next you are redefining the meaning of words away from what is specified in the dictionary to your own definitions to suit your own purposes. I mean its laughable.

Perhaps I should redefine the word square to mean triangle - I mean that’s how it works isn’t it?

That’s not what I posted

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Therefore, he was equating ‘obsolete’ with ‘not working’.  (Note that I referenced his use of the term by using quote marks.)

The Collins Dictionary seems to agree with the fact that 'obsolete’ means ...no longer in use, or practice and is 'discarded' and that is most certainly not the case with the Sonos Play:1 Speaker. Just more attempts, by some here, to try to twist the truth and meaning of the actual Sonos announcements.

Users can choose to responsibly recycle their older devices if they want to.. I do not see anything in any of the Sonos announcements that is forcing them to discard, or make obsolete any Sonos device. The old devices can apparently “continue to work just as they do now”.

obsolete

/ˈɒbsəliːt/

adjective

1. 1.

no longer produced or used; out of date.

"the disposal of old and obsolete machinery"

Similar:

out of date

old

defunct

verb

US

1. cause (a product or idea) to become obsolete by replacing it with something new.

"we're trying to stimulate the business by obsoleting last year's designs"

@train_nerd said he was ‘worried’ that his Sonos Ones might not work - clearly not something he felt he had any choice over.  That even one user should have that concern shows what a twisted picture has been created by some of the language used by some of the complainants on here.

That’s not what I posted

It most certainly is. I quoted without amendment.  I trust you are not suggesting otherwise.

Edit - ah, I see you have gone back and edited out the reference to Ford Anglias etc - but too late because I had already quoted you.

Further edit: I have no objection to that in principle.   I have realised I made a mistake in the past and gone back to edit.  But by the time I had corrected the mistake my original had been ‘captured’.  It happens.  But PLEASE don’t imply I added that.  I haven’t got a clue what you are referring to with the Ford Anglias.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

FWIW, it took several days and exchanges with Sonos Support to figure out the status of the old Sonos Ones. Then we have an apology from the CEO, ad naseum reading of these fora both of which also helped to clarify then confirm the status.  Shame on me for thinking sharing my experience adds value and becomes subject shall-we-say “commentary” (this author’s quotes.)  I’m inclined to think worried about status is indeed what I felt initially, rather than someone else’s interpretation.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

FWIW, it took several days and exchanges with Sonos Support to figure out the status of the old Sonos Ones. Then we have an apology from the CEO, ad naseum reading of these fora both of which also helped to clarify then confirm the status.  Shame on me for thinking sharing my experience adds value and becomes subject shall-we-say “commentary” (this author’s quotes.)  I’m inclined to think worried about status is indeed what I felt initially, rather than someone else’s interpretation.

Sorry, let me be the first to apologise - all the best :)

If it took Support more than three seconds to conclude that a Sonos One is modern I would be amazed. There has to have been some misunderstanding here. How old is an old Sonos One? The product was launched only just over 2 years ago. 

Guys,

Look here…

Sonos legacy and modern products

The table below shows which Sonos products are classified as legacy and which are classified as modern.

Legacy products will continue to work with your Sonos system but will no longer receive software updates or get new features and services. If you have at least one legacy product in your system, your system will no longer receive software updates. You can learn about what the end of software updates for legacy products means for you.

Modern products will continue to get new features and services as they’re released via regular software updates.

Check your My Account page on sonos.com to see if you have legacy products registered to your Sonos system.

Legacy Products
Bridge
Connect
(Manufactured 2011-2015)
Connect:Amp
(Manufactured 2011-2015)
CR200
Play:5 (Gen1)
ZP80
ZP90
ZP100
ZP120
Modern Products
Amp
Boost
Beam
Connect
Connect:Amp
Move
One, One (Gen 2), One SL
Play:1
Play:3
Play:5 (Gen2)
Playbar
Playbase
Port
Sub

Sonos legacy and modern products

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

But they have said what the options will be.  If they haven't changed their minds what else is there to say?

Sounds like you are across or then. So John, what happens in a few months or years time, there are more legacy "part 2" devices? Do those devices that were part of the modern group in modern firmware working with the latest streaming services, be pushed back to the legacy group? So in effect then all future marked legacy would go back to what will work ending May 2020?

Or will there be multiple legacy groups, all supporting different services? You could end up then with 3 or 4 groups in years to come.

I don’t know.  There is no way Sonos are going to repeat this exercise in months, so it will be a few years before this possibly becomes an issue.  Given how long they have have kept the 32MB devices going on miniscule marginal amounts of memory, I believe that is likely to be many years.  And I can live with the possibility that I might be wrong.  Life is uncertain.  II have no intention of worrying about what my options might be in a hypothetical situation some years from now.  I’ll make my choice on the information available at the time, and then change if necessary as things pan out.  If this is the biggest thing I have to worry about in that period I shall count myself truly blessed.

Its not the point John and pulling the "life is uncertain" and "biggest thing to worry about" cards might be fine for you, but others see it differently and you have to respect that. Also you were saying "what else do you want Sonos to say". You can't belittle people who are asking these questions.

People investing thousands of dollars in whole home systems have the right to know how it's all going to work in a few years time. 

You think Sonos knows?  Or should make themselves a hostage to fortune with a best guess?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

You think Sonos knows?  Or should make themselves a hostage to fortune with a best guess?

It doesn’t come with a choice for any decent organisation. And that’s their issue to contend with John.

No-one should be guessing at this point … not the organisation and certainly not the high price ticket paying public spending his/her hard earned.

Ask Boeing, Ask Hotpoint, Ask Cathy Pacific with their current trading conditions. HSB this morning. IHG in Wuhan this last same period of time. A half dozen others. It’s the parameters of the game. 

The organisation that has a strong affinity with it’s customer base, goes the extra distance and sets expectations, sustains. Can even grow as a result.

Bore you to death for a moment. I wrote a published paper years back (yawn) about industrial systems, reliability and repeat sales. Conclusion: Buyers’ love reliability and dislike failure. But guess what? The system that fails but the company concerned responds with clarity and a cast-iron solution gets the repeat sale. Not the company that ‘never failed’. True if odd. 

Having empathy is admirable. Having a degree of understanding likewise. Having an expectation as a higher price ticket owner (and potential buyer) is also reasonable. 

Buying a 40” 4K TV from Aldi you have differing expectations than a 2019 GZ2000 Flagship OLED from Panasonic. About £3.2K worth of difference.The product & price tag defines the expectation.

Premium products (and organisations) absolutely should be expected to behave in a premium manner. That does not mean trying hold Sonos shotgun … sometimes the answer might be one we do not like. But a premium buyer will have a significantly higher expectation of it being a satisfying answer. I reserve a room at an an Intercontinental Hotel, you have a significantly higher expectation that say at a  Holiday Inn Express … no disrespect to HIX.

And as mentioned some days back, if Sonos do not know their corporate way forward at this point, then they really are in trouble. Nearly end of Feb, so that’s 8-9 working weeks till May? I know of no organisation in the upper sector that would not know their business plan and deliverables for that time frame. Operational details? Most likely not. 

Regardless of the pressure, risks, then yes, Sonos do need to reassure these folks as to their investment and the way forward. Is their problem to contend with. In the most decent possible way.

And this is very real …. I’m hovering on buying a Roon Nucleus +. I’ve already bought Roon and Tidal. And the Sonos debacle prompted me pull my new NAS investment forward.

Ask yourself why? Is obvious … lack of certainty and confidence. And then the curious nature of buyers (me) triggered by those emotions. Is what the last poster said. He’s concerned as the Sonos future and his investment. Who’s fault is that? Very clear answer.

Until Sonos manage things, the more folks will defer investment, cancel investment or find other solutions.

I don’t understand -- is Sonos’ way which is here recorded in writing not straightforward and obvious?

I have to agree with John B. Sonos have already committed themselves to a lot of things already in their announcements, which I will try my best to very quickly summarise below. This is how I interpret their words so far...

Sonos have given a guarantee/reassurance that the 'customer support' for a product will be for a minimum period of 5 years after the product has ceased manufacture and so is therefore no longer available for sale at Sonos.com.

In practice however, Sonos have provided a lot longer support than that post-manufacture period, for a good many of their devices, far more than double the period in fact in some instances. Even then, these (now called) old 'legacy' players still continue to work today and apparently will continue to receive updates to help provide them with any necessary security patches or minor fixes to keep them going, but they just will not receive any new features, going forward, as part of a legacy system.

Sonos have mentioned that their aim is to keep all the legacy devices running with all the features that they have now, for as long as it remains practicable for them (or presumably their 'partners') to do so. Thats at the very least for the 'foreseeable future'.

No one can truly know what will happen beyond the foreseeable future… and I don’t see that trying to second-guess what may happen achieves very much at all here, as a comment about any product/device in that situation could apply to absolutely anything we purchase from any manufacturer. Speculation and guesswork aside, I think we should just patiently wait and see what happens in May.

It is perfectly clear what the fundamental options are now. Detail in May. Nobody knows what the options will be in five years and that includes Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I have to agree with John B. Sonos have already committed themselves to a lot of things already in their announcements, which I will try my best to very quickly summarise below. This is how I interpret their words so far...

Sonos have given a guarantee/reassurance that the 'customer support' for a product will be for a minimum period of 5 years after the product has ceased manufacture and so is therefore no longer available for sale at Sonos.com.

In practice however, Sonos have provided a lot longer support than that post-manufacture period, for a good many of their devices, far more than double the period in fact in some instances. Even then, these (now called) old 'legacy' players still continue to work today and apparently will continue to receive updates to help provide them with any necessary security patches or minor fixes to keep them going, but they just will not receive any new features, going forward, as part of a legacy system.

Sonos have mentioned that their aim is to keep all the legacy devices running with all the features that they have now, for as long as it remains practicable for them (or presumably their 'partners') to do so. Thats at the very least for the 'foreseeable future'.

No one can truly know what will happen beyond the foreseeable future… and I don’t see that trying to second-guess what may happen achieves very much at all here, as a comment about any product/device in that situation could apply to absolutely anything we purchase from any manufacturer. Speculation and guesswork aside, I think we should just patiently wait and see what happens in May.

Yes yes… but the bottom line of all that is that you can only categorically state that a Sonos product you buy will be viable for 5 years - anything beyond that is down to trusting the company’s historical support. Which was, until now, excellent. But now it’s a matter of debate. It’s possible, however unlikely, that something you buy brand new from Sonos today will be dodoed in 5 years time. 

Yes yes… but the bottom line of all that is that you can only categorically state that a Sonos product you buy will be viable for 5 years - anything beyond that is down to trusting the company’s historical support. Which was, until now, excellent. But now it’s a matter of debate. It’s possible, however unlikely, that something you buy brand new from Sonos today will be dodoed in 5 years time. 

The seldom hardware failure outside of any manufacturers guarantee period not included of course, but what’s not to like about 5 years as being a bottom line support contract. Does any such provider offer anything better than that these days and do similar manufacturers have any better past support track record?..

I’m struggling to find a company that compares, or even comes close, to this type of commitment for customer support. The fact that 92% of Sonos products made, are still in use today speaks for itself in terms of the abilities of the hardware. You should not simply ignore the excellent past record when trying to determine the future of Sonos and their products in this instance.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

The seldom hardware failure outside of any manufacturers guarantee period not included of course, but what’s not to like about 5 years as being a bottom line support contract. Does any such provider offer anything better than that these days and do similar manufacturers have any better past support track record?..

I’m struggling to find a company that compares, or even comes close, to this type of commitment for customer support. The fact that 92% of Sonos products made, are still in use today speaks for itself in terms of the abilities of the hardware. You should not simply ignore the excellent past record when trying to determine the future of Sonos and their products in this instance.

I suppose it all comes back to the question of is it hifi, or is it tech… and it’s something in between. From the hifi perspective 5 years sucks! I have 30 year old speakers and 20 year old amps/power amps that are 100% working as good as they ever did. They don’t need to be supported in the same because there is nothing to support - I get that, no software. So then if you view it from the tech side then 5 years isn’t unreasonable… but as I’ve mentioned in previous posts - it sucks if you end up having to throw away the hifi elements just because the tech interface can’t be supported anymore. The physical waste is appalling, even if the cost was of no concern.

As an aside, one of the drivers in my main hifi speakers did fail - the company no longer made the speaker, or the driver but said to send it back and they’d see what they could do. They managed to fix it for a small fee (approx 1/20th of the overall speaker cost) - that’s what I call good product support! Sonos would tell me to bin the whole item and buy a new one! ;)

As an aside, one of the drivers in my main hifi speakers did fail - the company no longer made the speaker, or the driver but said to send it back and they’d see what they could do. They managed to fix it for a small fee (approx 1/20th of the overall speaker cost) - that’s what I call good product support! Sonos would tell me to bin the whole item and buy a new one! ;)

Not true. Replacements for defunct units are refurbished products. Therefore Sonos would ask you to send the broken item back to them where it would get refurbished and integrated into the RMA cycle.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Not true. Replacements for defunct units are refurbished products. Therefore Sonos would ask you to send the broken item back to them where it would get refurbished and integrated into the RMA cycle.

Eh? They replace broken units out of the normal warranty, whatever it is, 2 years? Are you sure?

Eh? They replace broken units out of the normal warranty, whatever it is, 2 years? Are you sure?

Each case is handled on its own merit, but there have been hundreds of examples where Sonos gave a significant discount on a refurbished unit to replace a non-working, out of warranty device.

Yes, Smilja is correct I believe, from what I have seen mentioned by others. Out of warranty broken Sonos items are quite often replaced with discounted refurbished or new products offered to the customer (the discount rates set are presumably dependent on the age of the original item and use, I guess) and the faulty item is returned in the packaging sent out. 

The replacement also carries a further 12 month warranty. 

In many countries (not all) free shipping is included in the fee paid and a further shipping label is also supplied for the returned item.

I am sure. A few years back I had a faulty Connect which was replaced out of warranty with a refurbished one; the European 2-year legal guarantee period also started anew.

I have seen examples of Sonos doing this but it isn't standard practice. I have often seen worthwhile discounts offered to replace significantly out-of-warranty failures despite no legal obligation.  Sometimes the threads are started by someone complaining that the discount offered is too small.