Answered

Sonos Move randomly turns on?

• 15 October 2019
  • 96 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

I have the same problem. I will return this product seeing that this issue is common and has  no solution planned

Badge

@Jean C. I just purchased my Sonos Move two days ago and update it to the latest version, but the issue is still not fixed yet, if I turn it to sleep mode (off the chargin base), it will wake up in around 20 mins, are you working on fix this issue?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks Loucypher, however the response from Sonos does not address the issue. Even with a full ten second ‘power off’ my Move keeps turning itself back on again! 

To anybody from Sonos reading this thread, I have submitted a diagnostic report, 1904798772, and I look forward to a swift resolution to this issue...

Hello everyone,

Following up my initial experience related above, I have made some discovery.

The Sonos Move is waking up automatically when the speaker is on his charging base and electric plug in the wall. If you unplug or move away the Move from is charging base and switch off, then it will never wake up.

Strange is it it? I will open a ticket with support

Regards

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ianacwilliams 

If you leave it out of the charging ring, the Move should remain powered down.

If you place it back in the charging ring it may power on to charge or receive updates.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Jean,

It should remain powered off, but it doesn’t, and when the unit is left off the charging ring and the unit turns itself on again (sometimes after a number of hours) the battery then completely drains...

Ian

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ianacwilliams, which is exactly why we want to track the ones that aren’t behaving as expected.

Thank you for submitting a ticket with support, by the way, direct user feedback is the first step to getting things fixed. 

Just a general FYI that putting it back on the charging ring will essentially turn it back on.

To be able to verify that the power-on is spontaneous, it’s important that it doesn’t end up on the charger in the interim.   

Same issue. The MOVE turns on randomly. I did notice it was in a group with my living room. I removed it from the group and did the 5 sec hard off.  Lets see how long it stays off.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Anecdotally, I can confirm that my Move turns on from “soft” power-off when not on the recharge ring, for about an hour, and then turns off again.  (S1, no mic, WiFi mode)  Then about a half-hour later, mine turns on for another 20 minutes, then turns off again.  Seemingly it never turns on again thereafter (but I do not watch it 24/7).  To me, this does not seem to be related to (my 24-hour) DHCP lease duration (but I only watched at sleep+lease time).  It definitely does keep the connection to the Wireless Access Point alive: if you reboot your WAP, the Move wakes up fully, presumably to get its IP address.  When in “hard” (long-press) power-off it apparently does not wake up for a WAP reboot.  (But who knows if you can rely on the LED to tell you truly if it’s partially awake -- at 5% battery drain per day, it must be doing *something* even when “hard” asleep.  Also @Zeek78 , who knows what Sonos engineers care about anymore --  you’re probably too young to remember the Wendy’s commercial where Clara Peller (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Peller) shouts, "Where's the Beef?", then for the tag line says, “I don’t think there’s anyone out there...”)

Same issue here. 

Been behaving this way probably since launch. It’s pretty sad that Sonos can’t solve what is almost certainly just a software issue or a software workaround for a hardware issue.

ok folks I have contacted the support (french) and got an explanation. I’m not sure this is a valid solution but they told me that SONOS engineers are monitoring community chat and our feedback is valuable. So let’s go and here it is, I’m translating

“If your SONOS MOVE is waking up alone even after switching off, this is because it is designed as this to regularly wake up and check network and potential updates. This is not occuring when MOVE is not on his charging docking because it will drain down the battery.”

I agree with this mechanism, but

• why don’t we have a wake up only once per day and not every 10 or 20 minutes? And by the way, I personally do not like to have automatic updates. Very often you apply a patch that compromise your system and it is better to wait piggy pig experience trouble first. So I would like to have a better control on patch update thru mobile application for example.
  • if MOVE wakes up automatically and do not find something to do (connect to internet) or do not find an update, why it does not go back to sleep automatically? At least it may be switch off when you look at it and you will not worried about…
  • Finally I do not have voice recognition set up on my system, but what is happening if system wake up alone and listen? Does it records what is in the room?

I have asked to provide this feedback to support, they said they will talk to engineers but I really would like to have na RFE opened

Regards

FYI my assistance diagnostic code is 27357474

Hi

I just bought the move a few weeks ago and I am having the same problem keeps turning it’s self on thinking I don’t want too drain battery, I will try the method of pressing power button more than 5secs too see if that will solve the issue( as watched recommended videos reviews) on this speaker and the person testing speaker advised turning off via power button too save battery life when not in use. So am hoping it’s just a wee glitch.

I’ve just got mine today. It is also turning itself off. I have just tried the 5 second turn off. Let’s see it works other wise is is going back. 

Same issue here, and wondering if it’s tied to the launch of the Sonos app on iOS? This seemed to be the cause for turning on power to the Move, however I now notice it powering on without the app. Fingers crossed a software update fixes this issue. 

Badge

I have a lot of Sonos products, and bought a Sonos Move for occasional use outside. Unfortunately the device rapidly drains the battery even after beeing completely turned off. (Long press → Chime).

After a couple of weeks, the battery is at zero, and needs a recharge if I want to use the product outside. It doesn’t make sense that the Move must be docked and powered on at all times, if you just need to use it once or twice a month.

Please fix this issues Sonos - thanks.

I am having the same ongoing issue. As a test I tried holding down the power button for five seconds in an attempt to completely turn off the speaker when it was fully charged. I then left the speaker for a week in the dock with the charger turned off. After turning the speaker back on again the battery charge was completely empty and so the speaker must have turned back on again. Is there another way to turn the speaker completely off to conserve battery levels?!

This seems to be a common problem which I have now too discovered with my Sonos Move recently. I am reporting the issue to support team and hopefully will be able to get some answers.

Hi,

Not sure if you have tried this, but when you turn your move off- hold the power button for 5 seconds. This completely turns the unit off. If you just press it, it will use power. Also, doing the 5 second power off should prevent it from turning back on.. I've had no issue with doing it this way, but did have problems with just the single press option.

To turn the unit back on, just do a 5 second hold again.

Hope this helps.

Hello, 

Same problem as everyone else here. My Move is always out of battery because it drains while I’m not using it.

Would love to return it / be able to use it. Searching here for solutions but this thread seems to have been going on for months.

Any news yet?

Cheers,

Simon

Same issue here, and wondering if it’s tied to the launch of the Sonos app on iOS? This seemed to be the cause for turning on power to the Move, however I now notice it powering on without the app. Fingers crossed a software update fixes this issue. 

I am on Android, but we have all operating systems in my home. The 5 second hold has worked all day so far.

I got my Sonos Move about 2 weeks ago and I've got the same issue. Incredibly annoying, keeps draining the battery. And I'm definitely turning it off the right way, holding the power button for a few seconds and then releasing until the chime sound.

Badge

I have the Move and the battery life is abhorrent in both “standby” and while playing. As a comparison, I have a Bang & Olufsen Beolit 17 portable speaker. I used it over the weekend, it hasn’t been used nor charged since Thanksgiving 2019. Battery was at 70%. What gives SONOS??????

Badge

Battery drain issue happening for me exactly as described with my recently purchased Move. As promoted by Sonos, raised the issue as a problem. Sadly as indicated above by 1923MainStreet  Sonos support either doesn't talk to each other or hope to fob customers off . My response from Sonos support indicated this is normal behaviour :

From the diagnostic you submitted, we do not see any issues regarding the Move's battery. However, what we did notice is that the device "wakes up" at around half of the lease time to check whether the IP is still available and nothing has changed, then it "goes back to sleep".

Please be informed that this is a normal behaviour for Sonos Move.

If by normal behaviour my battery goes from 100% to less than 20% in fully switched off mode over 5 days this does not match Sonos claims for the battery.

Disappointing and ignorant response from SONOS!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Frustratingly I am still having the same issue even when the unit is turned off. It sounds like a design flaw...

The Move’s power management is far from optimal. I have mine in the bathroom and thought it would only use power when being used or use minimal power when not. Instead the battery depletes at an alarming rate. Other mobile products I have used don’t work like this. 

One of the issues is when I open the sonos app it automatically ‘wakes’ the move. I was hoping to keep the move in the bathroom for at least a week before charging, instead it lasts about a day. It desperately needs better power management options within the app as wandering around with a 3kg speaker back to charging station all the time is not really how many people use these mobile speakers. my Cambridge Go can last a month without a charge as it doesn’t use at battery when off. 

i think this is a big flaw in this product which desperately needs sorting. 

I’m reading the above post a year after it was written. I have just acquired a Sonos Move and have the *very same problem*. So it seems Sonos have not bothered to fix this issue. The solution could be quite simple: only wake the Move when you make it the active device in the Sonos App, not every time you open the app. I quite often open the app to play music on my other Sonos devices and each time I do that the Move wakes up and stays awake for at least 30 minutes. This is an unnecessary drain on the battery. Sonos please fix this or I will return the Move. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

To be honest, as per most responses from Sonos, that answer is garbage.

Check the Forum for just how many users come to their Moves after being completely powered down and off the base - and it's completely flat after a day or so.

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/my-move-keeps-turning-on-and-then-it-is-dead-6844813?postid=16476772#post16476772

It's been going on for a year plus and I certainly don't believe that the engineers monitor these forums.

At Sonos, the left arm hasn't seemed to know that the right arm is doing for some time sadly.

Even ‘Support' respond to such instances as though it's the first they've heard of it.