Answered

Sonos Move randomly turns on?

• 15 October 2019
  • 96 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Hello,

even though the Sonos Move is turned off and not plugged on the charging base when I open Sonos S2 app on my iPhone, it turns on the Sonos Move.

do you guys experience the same behavior?

regards.

Yes with S1 App same issue

I find that if I shut the wifi off on my phone, the move doesn't turn on itself.  It's a bit of a pain, but it works.

Badge +1

https://en.community.sonos.com/wireless-speakers-228992/move-battery-drain-test-6831876?sort=dateline.desc#comments

There are some comments from RyanS from SONOS in this forum on this problem.

I’m at SW 11.1 and still seeing this issue happening weekly

Very frustrating still no fix

Hello, mine is showing same boring behaviour… any fix under preparation?

It’s somehow not comforting when various Sonos support people people give entirely different responses to the same issue. I was told two days ago on the phone by a Sonos support person that the turning on is intended behaviour and no “fix” is being worked on because nothing is wrong.

The response from RyanS is completely the opposite response, lol.

I hope that RyanS knows more than the individual with whom I spoke (who did put me on hold for several minutes while she went to find the answer).

Badge

I just received my Move and started to notice that move turns itself on while in the dock periodically. I always have my Sonos devices playing so this may be the issue. I just tried holding power button for 5 seconds and heard the chime. I will see if this helps-although from the messages this is only a temporary fix. Diagnostics 396253199

Also, does anyone know the most responsive way to submit diagnostics? I use to send it via twitter but the last couple of times Sonos has not been responding? 

Hello there

I’m still learning about my 2 Sonos move but for this question I have no answer ( yet? :-) )

My 2 sonos move are configured correctly on my Wifi. I do not have set up voice recognition or control.  I have turned them off (button on the back and led on the top off) and go to sleep. They are both plugged for battery recharge during the night.

When I wake up I discover that both are powered on, the power led on top was switched on. No one was touching the power button during the night.

Can you please explain how the hard power off status can be changed to on magically?

I’m asking because I will be travelling (7 hours drive) and I do not want the battery to discharge during this trip, but if the hard power off button is not working, I’m wondering what’s used for then? 

Thanks

I had the same problem.  It would power on automatically whether it was in the charging base or not.  Really sucked because it just drained the battery, and I wasn’t getting much time on the unit.  I ended up returning.  Really disappointing.  I sent a diagnostic...nothing.  I reset it to factory settings...nothing.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Edit to add: (No Sonos controllers are running anywhere on the network.)

I wish I had seen this thread before I bought one of these power hungry devils. I was shocked in the first day of light use to see the low battery light on and 10% remaining after a full charge just the day before and maybe 4 hours of use with (naive single-button-press) power downs between usage sessions. Just did my first full off-the-ring power down and we’ll see. 

This is my only Sonos product and my use case is in an AirPlay 2 setup. It seems that altering the AirPlay playback in any way also wakes the Move. Even if that’s, for example, to pause AirPlay playback on devices that excludes the Move; the Move will power on. That’s disappointing because if I’m not using the Move I’m not thinking about it’s power state. 

Badge

Same here.

Of course I switch It off by pressing 5 seconds and hearing the "closing" tone to make sure.

Nevertheless, today I have noticed while having breakfast that it has switched on because I see the low battery red light beeping. 

Could it be that it switches on when hearing noise? I mean that the microphone is not completely switched on?

EDIT:

I've just the app and it was "off". I check the speaker and it is really off. So red light beeping because of low battery even with the speaker off? I switch it on and app says has 82% battery. What is happening here?

I just run the diagnostic 1916437599.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Baimendi,

After a lot of email dialogue with Sonos support and no resolution, I was asked to phone up the Sonos helpline. A decision was then made to send out a brand new unit to replace the first unit. I will let you know how I get on with the new one…

Ian

Unfortunately I have the same problem. I can see that Sonos Support advice went from holding the button for 5 seconds, to 10 seconds, then to 15 seconds. None of these work, as after 5 seconds, when the chime sounds, it is powered off! One of my issues with the Move turning itself on randomly, is that the Sonos Ones do the ‘wake-up’ chime when the Move is activated. It did this last night at around 1am and the S1 in the bedroom woke me up! We were both in bed asleep, so there was nothing that could have stimulated it, such as opening the Sonos App, or knocking it. I’ve only had it a few days, so haven’t noticed battery issues yet, but if I turn it off, I expect it to stay off. This needs sorting out with an update, or I will return it.

Userlevel 7

Hi Jerofthewoods

I can’t verify this behavior as I ‘ve never shut my Move down when on battery but I’ve seen it with other battery powered devcies. It may be that if you turn the Move off when it’s not on the charging ring and later place it on the charging ring that may trigger the low power mode.  I know that the charge light will appear monentarilly.

Maybe you can provide more details on how and when (i.e. under what circumstances) the issue occurs.

Cheers!

Badge +1

My Sonos Move is also powering on spontaneously, after full or hard power off.  Can be days later and accompanies significant battery drain as well eg 15% in 7 days.  Have raised a case, advised its escalated, assisted with diagnostics but no indication of resolution.  It’s a very annoying fault as battery depletes and/or unit powers on when wanting to put away in medium term storage eg when I’m away.  Sonos please apply some resources to this to fix it.  Its not normal or expected behavior and not what I paid for.

Had the same issue because I only pressed the power button short and after a while the Sonos Move turned on automatically.

Do like the answer above (ClarkE).

Press the power on/off button for 5 seconds until you hear the chimes...

Userlevel 7

@Jerofthewoods

for Thanks for the reply.  Since this a relatively new product what you are describing sounds odd as “off” should be “off”.  That said you have a few options:

1. Submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID oin this forum and call Sonos Tech Support to discuss the issue or contact via Twitter or Facebook (recommended)
  2. Factory Reset the Move and run setup again to see if that corrects the issue
  3. If the issue reoccurs after a Factory Reset follow the steps in 1 above (within 10 minutes of occurence)

Click here for instructions to Factory Reset

I found this in Sonos Support. I had been just hitting the power button once, and the LEDs went off but no chimes are heard. Keep pressing the button until the chimes are heard and then the LEDs become dark. The next time you turn on MOVE, it has to find the WiFi network, just like when you unplug any other type of Sonos speaker.  I think this is the answer!

Turning off Sonos

To turn off most Sonos products, disconnect the power cable.

The battery-powered Sonos Move is the only product that includes a power button. To turn off Sonos Move, press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds until your Move chimes and the LEDs turn off.

It is the answer, as you say but it’s pants. You should have to power it down fully. Mine switches itself on and connects to the rest of the system without warning. Cr@p really for something that costs £400.00

Same with mine.  Following. 

Jean, 

I already submitted a ticket. I was sent a new move as I guess the we’re assuming it was my unit and the new one does the same thing. 

My Sonos Move does exact same. Trying the 5s switch off...if that doesn't work it will keep draining its own battery and every time I go to use it it will have no juice. Maybe they will just rename it the Sonos 'Dont Move'?