Answered

Sonos Move randomly turns on?

• 15 October 2019
  • 96 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

96 replies

Badge

I just got mine a week ago, and noticed the same issue. However, a few days ago, I tried switching it from wifi to blue tooth and it does not seem to still be turning on. Has anyone else noticed that that may be a solution to this problem?

I have the same issue!   I returned my first one after I went through the Sonos Case issue system .  They sent me a new device .. but now, the replacement device is doing the same thing ( turning on by itself)

It is NOT on  charging base, I held the power button to insure it was completely powered down - now one week later , I hear it playing on its own in my closet 

Sonos.. PLEASE listen to us and provide a fix.   This is unacceptable 

SAJ - Milwaukee 

Sonos what’s the answer?

Same here. :-( 

I bought the Move to use it in two rooms without a power outlet nearby. So I use it e.g. in the bathroom in the morning, then switch it off at 69%. When I come home in the evening, battery is almost empty and I have to charge it before I can use it again. 

Switching the power off by pressing the button until the chime sounds (as described above) is a workaround but not really a solution for everyday. So I really hope Sonos will fix this properly - or explain why this speaker turns itself on after the user has switched it off.

Badge

Just set up my new Move a couple of days ago. And have already experienced the unit turning itself back on after I power it off. From the thread this looks like an issue Sonos needs to address.

Same problem here …

This is my first Sonos product … good start :-(

Userlevel 2
Badge

My Move seems to turn itself on when I turn on additional Sonos speakers with the Android app, when already listening to one or more speakers. This is frustrating!! Please advise!

The Sonos move it doesn't turn on by itself, the problem is
you are not turning off the speaker completely

That is unfortunately not true. Also turned off completely after hearing the turn off chime, it will eventually turn itself on again. Not sure about the interval. But it does and many people have the same issue.

Has there been an answer as to why the move turns on by itself?

I have the same issue. Turning the move off using the 5 seconds method and it will turn itself on again after hours/days (not sure) and be visible in the app. This will drain the battery and leave the move empty when i finally want to use it.

I would have expected to turn it off until I turn it back on again. Is this an update mechanism?

Userlevel 3
Badge +6

Just adding another voice here. Love the Move but this behaviour drives me crazy. 

My use case… The Move resides in a bathroom throughout the week where I briefly listen for an hour each morning. UK bathrooms don't typically have mains power outlets, so it's off the charger and using battery.  Once a week or so I move it into its charging base, then return to the bathroom when fully charged.

When I finish listening daily I placed into standby with a tap of the power button. I don't want it fully powered down (i.e. by holding the button 5s) as I want it to wake quickly when next used.

I constantly find it powered back on, at random intervals after having put into standby. It simply should not be doing this, in my opinion, unless the user chooses to wake it from the app.

Badge

I have the same issue. 

I was disappointed to find that my new Move discharges it’s battery so quickly if it is removed from the docking station, even if not being used, and I have switched it off using the on/off button on the rear of the unit. Therefore I need to leave it permanently docked so it is juiced up when I need to use it.

Does the Move automatically stop charging when it has reached 100%?

Thanks,

Mike

I had this problem weeks ago when “google assistant” was configured as default assistant.

In my case, I changed to “Alexa voice assistance” and the problem just dissapear :-S

thought I would pass on a response to my letter.

hope it helps others

“I understand you would like to fully power off the Sonos Move, so it doesn't start up on its own. This should only happen when the Sonos Move is in sleep mode.

The Sonos Move has two power settings: Sleep and Power off modes. 

How to enter the modes:
Sleep Mode - Short press of Power Button to enter and exit
Powered off - Hold Power Button for about 10 seconds or until the Sonos Move plays a sound

Please note that while Sleeping or Powered off lithium ion batteries will continue to discharge. It's suggested you charge the Sonos Move when possible.

How many days until the Sonos Move needs to be charged to power back up:
Sleeping Mode - about 6 days
Powered off Mode - about 30 days

Please note: the times for the two modes are variable based upon battery usage history.”

The Sonos move it doesn't turn on by itself, the problem is
you are not turning off the speaker completely, maybe you are
just pressed and release the power button, this is only a
light turning off, to turn off the speaker you have to
Press and hold the button until the speaker turning off
that the correct way,
good look
Daniel Diaz

The best long term strategy for battery life is to keep MOVE on the charger when not used as a portable device. Repeated full discharge is not optimal for this type of battery technology. (this is the case for most modern battery operated gadgets)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello there @bsolomon82, how long does your Move last on battery power without being on the charger?

Are you able to fully power off the unit by pressing the power button and leaving it off of the charging ring?

You can find more specific instructions on the Move here.  

Please feel free to  submit a diagnostic report and post the confirmation number here so that we can look into this with you. 

I have had the move for a few weeks now. I also noticed it turning itself on (from off, not standby). And I’m experiencing battery drain whilst powered off. 

I do not use / have not set up voice control / corporate privacy invasion. 

I turned off the automatic software update feature via the app and I’ve not noticed it turn on again since (1 week ago). 

It still looses battery charge very quickly after turning it off, compared to all other battery devices I have, including a MacBook Pro in sleep mode. Which is fairly poor for the money spent on the Move. If this can be rectified by a software update I would recommend Sonos fix this. It’s pretty pointless having a wireless product that needs to be kept on the charger all the time if you only use an hour or two per day. I’ll just need to remember to manually check for software updates :)

Couldn’t recommend this product with the above faults for this price tag. Sounds fairly good though considering the size. They got that bit right. 

Hello,

Same problem for me.

My Sonos move, when it’s out of its charging base, turns on randomly, even if it has been completely shut down.

Is it hardware ? Software ? 

Please Sonos, fix this !!

Thanks Clark the answer I was looking for. I’ll give it a shot otherwise sounds like it needs to go back until gen 2 comes out. Which would really be disappointing. Best feature of this is blue tooth to play your own music

My Sonos Move will turn itself on after hours/days when turned off by pressing the power button for 5 seconds until I hear the sound. I appears offline in the app, but after a while it turns on again. Not sure why? I expect it to stay off until I turn it on again. This will drain the battery whe not expected and leave the Move empty when I actually want to use it.

I just spoke with Sonos about this as I noticed that even when I turn my Moves off properly (five second power off), every time I open the Sonos app, the Moves turn on. But I don't use them all the time with the rest of my system, so they’re sitting in a cupboard with the batteries depleting. 

I was told that this was the intended behavior for the Moves.

They will turn on no matter what you do, when the app is opened. So that is a pain, but there is no “fix” because that’s how they’re supposed to work. That’s the intended behavior. I was told it’s best to leave them on their charging rings at all time so that they’re always full power when I want them. So now I’m putting them in a spot where I can leave them tucked away but still on the charger because I know that whenever I access the rest of my Sonos, the Moves will turn on. Not happy about this, but looks like that’s the way it is.

That’s what I was told by Sonos Support on the phone today (April 21, 2020).

Same issue here, submitting a support claim went nowhere (have you tried factory reset?! lol)...I thought switching to Bluetooth function before hard power off worked at first, but sure enough I opened the Sono app and the Move was available for use and powered on again. Sonos please fix this. If I wanted another component that was always available I would have bought one, this is a portable speaker that I want on-demand and for the battery to be intact from the last time I used. I hope you release an update soon to correct this please.

I bought the Move when it first came out.  I have a sonos amp outside for my backyard.  The move started to turn itself on when I came home and when I left the house.  They sent me a new one.  The new one worked perfectly from December until now.  I keep it on the charging base.  This happens when both on the base and off.  I'm not sure what Sonos is doing to fix this issue.  It's obviously a real issue.  I'm very frustrated.  I can ask for a new one, to me that's pointless, it's not a defective unit, as it's happening with many people, and for me with 2 different units, where everything else works fine.  Sonos please do something.  This is bad.

I, too, am having this issue with Move turning on after being shut down.  I do not have Alexa or Google Play programmed   Do not wish to be listened to but don’t trust it.  I’ve had for 6 days and not happy.anout it. Topic has been going for 4 months with no resolve.   Think I will return and if it’s ever corrected, may give it another try. 

don’t even know if I have the battery drain issue