Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Reading the 14.10 release note again, and thinking about the various differences in how each of us experienced this issue is interesting. I don’t feel like I ever experienced the delay or ‘echo’. Maybe a handful of times (less than 5% of my dropouts) I heard some poor audio that I characterized as a mis-mapping of channels and when restarting the stream to fix, immediately got a dropout. But it sounds like the root cause is the delay (transient processing or buffering glitch of some kind??) which the Sonos system seemed to handle poorly by dropping the satellite channels completely and then not self-healing? I wonder if the fix was more on the processing or buffering side or the handling/healing side. Maybe both? Might also explain why some users (myself included) attributed the issue to higher bit rate stuff like Dolby Mat (higher likelihood of processing strain?). And if the processing glitch was upstream of the Sonos device (TV or streaming box), could explain why some users attributed to Dolby vision or other high bandwidth video formats (sacrifice the audio for sake of video?). Also makes me think back to this thing on Nakamichi website I found:

Dolby Atmos MAT audio playback:

Some content devices output Dolby Atmos audio in "Dolby Atmos MAT" format, a new audio format that adds Dolby Atmos metadata into lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio. The content devices are designed to prioritize internal buffering for high quality video when playing Dolby Atmos MAT contents. Therefore, the buffering process might cause random audio cut-outs. This is reported by various users with content devices that outputting Dolby Atmos MAT format

Anyway, all just speculation for which we’ll probably never have a definitive answer.

The fun y thing about the "echo" is the first time I heard it was a scene in Apple TV's Severance.  I dont know if you have seen it, but it is a mystery type show and I actually thought the echo was someone's muffled talking in another room and thought I was catching onto a clue no one else had....sadly when I watched another completely different show and got the "echo" I realized how big of a clown I was.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

How can I check the channel thing? I don’t have the problem anymore so maybe it’ll help with something.

That's a good point! 

• Go to http://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:1400/support/review (where XXX is your IP of your Rear Speaker or Sub).
  • A bunch of links will appear on the web page.
  • Click TV Room (RR) - which is TV Room Right Rear (although you could use Left Rear or Sub). 
  • Once that menu expands, click /proc/ath_rincon/status link.
  • In here you will see a load of data, but you want to focus on Operating on channel value - which is the frequency. Example screen shot below where mine is currently on 5220 whilst playing a movie. 
  • Compare this to the TV Room (LF,RF) value. This time look for the HT Channel value.
  • The value of Operating on channel in the rears/subs should match the HT Channel in the ARC (which is the TV Room (LF,RF))

NOTE: You must be playing content/movies before you capture the frequency. It goes back to a 2.4Ghz frequency when the system is idle. 

Let me know if that works for you.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have many Apple TV’s in the house I could hook one up to my LG CX system and see if it reproduces the issue. I don’t really feel like power cycling anything in my office though haha 

Don’t do it!!! Don’t invite more pain on yourself

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

It’s weird. I didn’t have a problem either since Friday. Didn’t change anything except for a power cycle on that day.

I know - it's so strange. I have been able to consistently make this break previously. In fact, my youngest is the the TV Room right now watching a film and I went to check all was OK, and all speakers are firing as expected. It so strange, 

Don’t worry. It’s waiting for us to believe that it’s fixed and then it’ll happen again.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Here’s a little fuel for the fire. I haven’t had a dropout in about a week and decided to try and cause one to support the fault finding effort. For the last week I’ve only had my main Apple TV connected, no other sources. I’ve watched all kinds of content on multiple apps with no problems. In preparation, while watching content on Prime on my main Apple TV,  I connected my second (vpn) Apple TV and powered it on. Before switching over to it, I tested my favourite atmos test scene and observed my first dropout in a week. I did not even have to switch sources to cause the dropout, just connect the second device and have my TV recognize it. 

I restored sub and surround with the new disable/re-enable Wi-Fi trick on the arc and played a bunch of trailers on Prime and then auto play trailers on Netflix (still on second Apple TV). While on Netflix I had a second dropout. I unplugged and disconnected the second Apple TV and restored sub and surround again.

I connected and powered on the second Apple TV again to see if it would trigger another dropout immediately which it did not. I watched my show on Prime for a while then flipped around different content a bit (on main Apple TV). Then I watched trailers on Netflix and triggered a third dropout (all in the space of an hour). Super interestingly, after watching various content and then trailer hopping in Prime and Netflix, the second and third dropouts both occurred when viewing the same Netflix trailer (Venom) after watching maybe 10-12 other Netflix trailers.

I restored again and jumped straight to Venom but a fourth dropout did not occur (just a coincidence then?) I disconnected the second Apple TV and jumped around content a bit on the main Apple TV. I went through the same trailer hopping exercise and was not able to trigger a fourth dropout within a similar timeframe. I won’t do a full disconnect/reconnect and power cycle of all devices and see how long I go before another dropout.

I’ve had a case open with Sonos support for a while and now that I think I can force a dropout, I’ll try to get escalated as high as I can to demonstrate it.

Takeaways: My system is far less stable with 2 Apple TV’s connected. My system might be completely stable with just 1 Apple TV connected. There appears to be more to it than just codec changes. It seems to be HDMI source related. Perhaps a codec or format change can appear like a source change (or source renewal?) depending on how certain devices handle format changes. This might explain why some people’s systems are more stable than others. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It’s weird. I didn’t have a problem either since Friday. Didn’t change anything except for a power cycle on that day.

I know - it's so strange. I have been able to consistently make this break previously. In fact, my youngest is the the TV Room right now watching a film and I went to check all was OK, and all speakers are firing as expected. It so strange, 

Don’t worry. It’s waiting for us to believe that it’s fixed and then it’ll happen again.

100%

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

For clarity, my system is: Boost, ARC, 1 x Sub Gen2, 1 x Sub Gen3, 2 x One SL’s and 2 x Fives. Orbi RBR20 Mesh. AppleTV 4K 1st Gen. Sonos has been Try-Play setup and run the ‘Connect TV’ setup. (NOTE: Voice Control has NOT been setup). 

Since before getting (more) stable, this is what I have done - which is a lot but going to list them out. 

1. Full factory reset of EVERY Sonos device to 14.8.1. (I have never done this with 14.8.1, only 14.6 so thought this would be worth a try). 
  2. Removal of one of my ORBI Satellites. (I had 1 x Router and 2x Satellites, went to 1 x Router and 1 x Satellite).
  3. Fixed IP address on every Sonos Component, and also the NetGear ORBI devices.
  4. Replacement of a NETGEAR switch to a TP-LINK switch in my office. 
  5. Moved my Sub which was very close to the ARC (around 1 foot to the left) to further away.

I am not saying the issue is gone, but its the most stable its ever been.

Well, several more days have passed and I am still unable to get the surrounds and subs to drop.

I really don't know what I did to make this increasingly more stable, but its the longest it's ever gone without an issue since April. Feels like I got lucky (for now) with a combination of things which has placed it into a more stable position. But what that is I just do not know, and I am petrified to actually touch anything.

Wrap that b#$@h in saran wrap, tell the wifi and kids not to look at, don't breath on it, and keep your fingers crossed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Wrap that b#$@h in saran wrap, tell the wifi and kids not to look at, don't breath on it, and keep your fingers crossed.

To be honest, I am totally paranoid about turning it on and finding the issue has returned. Certainly taken something away from the days that I never worried about the sound and just enjoyed what we were watching! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Well it just happened to me again!  After 6 days, the issue reoccurred as we all thought it would. However, on this occasion it was my rears and just one sub.  So a slight change there!

Funnily enough, I had just been listening to a Dolby True HD Demo via the USB PORT on the TV. It did not sound right and as I flicked back to my normal AppleTV, the problem was there. And it was the first time I used my TV remote to turn the TV on as I was just going to use the USB so there was no need to turn everything on via the AppleTV remote. 

So there we go, its still present and no combo of voodoo and tricks removes it. I did enjoy them 6 days though. 

Still not sure what @Frank Smith is alluding to in terms of hope. Frank, is there anything you can say or have you been told to not engage in such discussions publicly?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Everyone still good?

All good here. My Move has not dropped since the update. Before the update it would only play for about 10-20 mins before dropping the group sound. I think I was also having some voice/sub weirdness. It's also gone as best I can tell.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been experiencing this issues too, I normally don’t post on forums like this but I love my Sonos stuff and this has been such a bummer. I’m running a 2021 Apple TV 4K with LG C9 (and Arc with Sub and surrounds). Not only do I lose the surrounds and sun occasionally/they fall out of sync, but I’ll also lose sound entirely every now and then for 2-3 seconds. Totally takes you out of whatever you’re watching. I have noticed that there are times when the sound cuts out, that the Dolby Vision notification from my TV pops up. It doesn’t happened every time, but that leads me to believe that something somewhere is losing connection for a brief moment and is messing things up. I’ve also noticed that I get the issues most when watching something with Dolby Vision/Atmos. For instance, I’ve been watching Stranger Things and will get weird issues at least 4-5 times throughout and episode. I’ve also been watching Better Call Saul (amazing show by the way) and won’t have any issues for an entire episode at a time. Oddly, I also watched the first two episodes of Obi Wan Kenobi on Disney+ and had 0 issues then too. I’m really hoping a fix is incoming this week, I’m hosting a movie night on Friday. 

I tried to watch Stranger Things with my C9’s built in audio and it’s awful…I’ve been spoiled by my Sonos system and I’m super bummed at what’s been going on. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Sonos, just release 14.5 as 14.9.  In the release notes call it Bug fixes and performance enhancements.  Let it sit out there/be available for 2 weeks giving people a chance to roll back and turn off “Update Automatically” then re-release 14.8 as 15.0 so you get back your SVC etc… You frustrate your SVC users for 2 weeks but get us off your backs.  Pipe dream, I know but with 2 more drops yesterday simply switching inputs/going between built in TV apps (Netflix/Amazon/YouTube) - I just sit there stewing on my couch.  TV watching experience has severely been impacted when it was once something to look forward to when the SONOS system worked.

Could 14.5 not just be put on their site and let those who want it have at it??? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Everyone still good?

Yup

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Another day,  another day of deafening silence from Sonos

Hi everyone.

Yup, just found this thread! I’ve been going mad with my Sub and Surrounds “ghosting” after I launch the Apple TV app!

Like everyone on here, I’ve tried everything from power cycling my Arc/Sub/Surrounds as well as my eero pro router. 

Definitely not my router. (not network related)

I’ve managed to figure out what “action” causes my Sub and Surrounds to “disconnect”. 

For me, it’s every time I launch the Apple TV app. (100%)

I’m not sure if this is a SONOS issue, or a tvOS issue. For now at least I can add them back successfully. Just annoying when I notice them getting disconnected. Hopefully either side is aware, and a fix is on the way!

Sonos Arc, 2nd Gen Sub, 2 Play:1s, LG C1 2020 65”, Eero Pro router

For anyone with the same set up as me above:

The eeroOS 6.10.2 update, released last night, seems to have fixed the issue for me. I’ve been switching apps and watching shows on Apple TV all day, pretty solid.

I’m wondering if the people who are now posting (late) in this thread and mentioning they have this same issue, have followed the advice of the Support Staff posts here, which clearly say they are looking into these matters on a ‘case-by-case’ basis.

Note: Staff have kindly asked that anyone experiencing the HT issue, submits a system diagnostic report within 10 minutes of it occurring and to then make direct contact with Staff via this LINK. It’s perhaps taking that requested action, which may help to get the issues resolved.

It appears some people are mentioning things here, but maybe then not giving Sonos the data asked for, nor getting in touch with them, in some instances.

Little point in posting here, if you are not currently providing the requested data and contacting/speaking with the Support Staff about the issue you are seeing with your own HT setup.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Sonos, just release 14.5 as 14.9.  In the release notes call it Bug fixes and performance enhancements.  Let it sit out there/be available for 2 weeks giving people a chance to roll back and turn off “Update Automatically” then re-release 14.8 as 15.0 so you get back your SVC etc… You frustrate your SVC users for 2 weeks but get us off your backs.  Pipe dream, I know but with 2 more drops yesterday simply switching inputs/going between built in TV apps (Netflix/Amazon/YouTube) - I just sit there stewing on my couch.  TV watching experience has severely been impacted when it was once something to look forward to when the SONOS system worked.

Could 14.5 not just be put on their site and let those who want it have at it??? 

I think they might have to push out an old firmware over a support call which should be totally doable for us affected users. That’s what I would like to see happen

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’d love to get involved in the troubleshooting as I’m a software engineer so fault finding is right up my street but because of how my stuff is setup, it would be hard for me to hardwire stuff, start pulling HDMI cables, etc.

Appreciate the efforts of everyone else though!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos should take accountability for this issue. 

Notify all of your technical support team that it is a known issue, I’ve spoken to over 6 agents over the past few weeks… no one said it was a known issue to me… mentioning it could be my wifi interference, my router settings, my Sonos settings or my tv was faulty… 

Arc / Surround / Sub users should be notified that it is a known issue and Sonos is supposedly working on a fix.

This will stop others from wasting hours trouble shooting and spending money replacing items that are not at fault. Like me unfortunately replacing hdmi cables, routers and having technicians come to check the tv.

All because your support team did not address the real issue and are suggesting its everything but Sonos’s fault.

It’s actually shocking that they haven’t properly chimed in here and at the very least tell us that they know it’s an issue and are looking for a fix, even if they told us they have no idea what’s causing it.

Just an acknowledgment would be enough for most of us to chill a bit. 

This has to be one of the most active threads on this site too, how have they not so much as noticed it? Almost 500 comments, many different users with various different set ups. 

Awful. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Humble request to @Sonos to diagnose and roll out a beta release to only the affected users, this is the only thing that makes sense. Roll us back to pre 14.6 and allow us to monitor if we still get the same issue. This then gives Sonos engineering a chance to diagnose what’s changed post 14.6 that is significantly causing this dropout issue. My 8 year old Harman Kardon SB26 performs better than this and has always played music no matter what at the very least. @Corry P and @Sonos - my HT system is going end of warranty soon in Aus, please update if you are able to rollout a fix or assist to return the entire system. It’s an expensive system and we have all been very patient, co-operative at the same time and I think everyone deserves to have a working system at the very least.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

What steps do I take on the app to do this?  I’m not home but this sounds like a way better way to reset it rather than resetting my entire router and/or unplugging the Arc power!  

You need to have the ARC hardwired for this, or Sonos will not let you disable the Wi-Fi. Is your ARC hard wired @JohnnyDo123 ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

My setup is 100% hardwired. No wireless enabled on any speaker, including my surrounds and sub. All Sonos speakers are their own dedicated VLAN. 

I periodically lose rear sync as of 14.6. Power cycle fixes the issue. 

Thank you - this really is closing the gap with it something to do with the HT. I am going to try and break this tonight and then I also have a diag to share. In effect, I can robustly state that Wireless or Ethernet is not the issue and focus the investigation on the ARC and elsewhere. 

Update May10: **IMPORTANT: This is NOT anything to do with version '14.6' which is the app software version, this is actually to do with the speaker software which is on version '68.2'**

The two are equivalent. Build number prefix 68.2 equates to external version 14.6. Controller apps and players need to stay in step.

In Settings/App Preferences you’ll see both version and build listed under “App Version”.

Likewise in Settings/System/About My System each device lists its firmware version, with the build number in brackets thereafter.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I think they might have to push out an old firmware over a support call which should be totally doable for us affected users. That’s what I would like to see happen

@Freddy45764 - your comment actually brought something into my mind.

When managing technology in complex environments, change is the most probable cause of incidents. The normal procedure is that if there is an impact post a change, the default position is to roll back that change. To be frank, in the financial industry, you are not allowed to roll in a change you can't reverse - and it you know you can't reverse it (i.e it really is fix forward only due to data reasons) then you need appropriate contingency, support and playbooks in place to support that eventuality.

I am sure there is a way that Sonos could provide firmware to an affected user which could be used as a test bed to see if the issue is actually resolved on earlier code. It also provides a real test bed, in a non-lab environment to start working through the issues. i.e, Sonos could then release each subsequent code version (even the ones we don't get) to better isolate where the problem exactly started. 

So, most of us know this sort of sensible industry approach already so why has it interested me? Its interested me because why would Sonos not perform this roll-back on an impacted device and test forward (in a structured approach) to isolate the problem?

I think that question is what is playing on my mind more than anything else. 3rd line is not responding, and there seems to be no willingness to roll-back the software and assess whether 14.5.x really was more stable at a code level - that would rule a problem in/out, and may even address an issue which is a sitting time bomb (potentially) for a much wider audience.

More then the problem itself, there is a process and cultural problem surfaced here which I don't understand. I can offer plenty of reasons why a company would do this, but I don't think it's fair to speculate on this forum. What I would like to see is stronger engagement between Sonos and just one affected user - working together in a solid cadence with a collective view to understanding what this issue actually is. 

And I don't care if the problem happens to be lunar phases causing interference for 1 in 10. I don't care if the problem is my network or my implementation of the kit. What I do care about is Sonos providing a statement that this is really a trivial matter in the larger scheme of their customer base, suggesting a support process and then that process actually comes to a grinding halt.

Userlevel 1

Had 2 sub/surrounds dropouts last night watching Ozark, no app/hdmi switching. Just a pause to use the bathroom then when I resumed, only arc audio…