Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

If the Wi-Fi trick works, then that is doing something to reset the situation. i.e. it must be setting up new routes to the Speakers (STP?) or something to suddenly enable the sound. 

It actually forces the arc to restart which causes the bonded speakers to lose their connection and then re-establish it when the arc is back online. It’s the same as if you power cycled the arc. 

I suspect whatever the problem is causes some exception in the software stack which prevents audio going to the bonded speakers (although they still have network connectivity) and the process of restarting their connection avoids the bugged software path (until you run into it again with whatever causes it)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

almost to a thousand replies in here

Userlevel 1

I’ve been running with eARC turned off for the past few weeks with a lot of success except when switching to the Xbox.  I got cocky tonight and turned eARC back on because I really wanted to be able to use the Atmos I paid for by upgrading from my Playbar.  Within five minutes of watching TV and just changing channels, not changing input sources, my sub and surround dropped out.  Back to just using ARC.  Will try the voice assistant activation route this weekend and see if I have any more luck.  At this point the Arc is just a waste of money if I’m only going to be using Dolby 5.1.  The Playbar handled that like a champ for years with no dropouts or problems.  Not really happy I dropped $800+ right now for a worse experience.  

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind Regards

Corry P

Hi Corry,

the problems with the failure of the rear speakers and the sub are only present since the update to the 14.6. Even if you have no idea about the matter, it is clear that it has to do with the update! Various forums are full of this topic!

Regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Today - after 5 day’s working - the issue occured again. So not making trueplaj adjustment is not solution.

What you think about WPA version? I have WPA3 now and as I know each device in WPA3 network is individually encrypted. Could it be reason that devices loose connection between each other?

I really doubt its anything network related. I suspect its some software issue that occurs sometimes when switch codecs

TMI…. :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

still rock solid for me

Everyone suffering from this problem: Please take the time to submit a diagnostic, and reply here with the reference number, preferably within 10 minutes of the dropout occurring.  Simply stating the problem is not enough, Sonos needs data to pinpoint the cause.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There is definitely a serious problem ever since update 14.6.

I had zero problems with my system (arc+rears+sub) until I installed this update.

Now, I constantly stop hearing the rears and the sub (while they still appear on the app) and I also have the weird echo sound from the rear sometimes.

Turning off and on the system fixes it but then the issue comes back. Switching inputs on the television seems to trigger it sometimes.

I also didn’t change anything in my router, TV and anything else that comes to mind. Everything is exactly the same as it was before the update.

I even tried to use use the system with LAN cables to see if the WiFi has something to do with it, but it doesn’t help at all and the issue keeps coming back no matter what.

I hope a fix will be released soon, because I have spent a lot on this system and it’s pretty much not usable right now.

It shouldn’t be like that!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Everyone still good? Any dropouts after 14.10?

Other than the music hicuo I ran into (that a system reboot seems to have fixed) it has been a rock. Not only have I not experienced a sub loss, I am also getting Dolby Atmos everytime I should, even when skipping between services. It's a happy day. Beers on me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I really wish they would tell us what they fixed/changed after all of this...with as big of a head ache as this has caused and the amount of time I've seen some of you soend on this, I am extremely curious what it ended up being.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

It might've helped if it were a connection issue, but that's not the case. The rears/sub stay connected and you can still see them in the app while you hear no sound from them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I have made some progress. With some settings changes on the Apple TV and Sony TV I cannot currently trigger the issue.

On the Apple TV 4K:

- Force Dolby 5.1

- Force 16 Bit Sound Mode

On the Sony Tv:

- Digital Audio out: Auto 2 (output only compressed audio for Multichannel content without change)

- Dolby Digital Plus output: Just Dolby Digital, not plus.

Not sure why this helps. It does strengthen my thesis that the problem is codec switch related.

I am really worried that Sonos will turn this around into “hey, it’s the combo of the Apple TV and older Sony Tv that is the cause”, when this worked really well up until a few weeks ago when the 14.6 update hit… More so when the changes I have made are all quality degrading.

i should also add that I am quite confident that this is a good stopgap for me. I have been able to very reliably trigger the problem by pausing content, especially Apple Music spatial audio. Now nothing will break the 5.1 signal playback through all speakers.

Granted, I could be back with bad news in an hour or 10,  but it would still be a vast improvement as I previously triggered it in 2 minutes.

Userlevel 2

I just want Sonos to acknowledge there is smoke and say they are looking for the fire.  I’m tired of them thinking its a configuration issue outside of the ARC when its so obviously been proven by so many posts here its directly related to something they introduced in an update.  (I’m still 100% certain from my own testing its related to audio format switching). 

I’m done with troubleshooting for them, and have stopped recommending their products to people because of this.  I’m very disappointed with how this has been handled. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I am loving this “disable/enable wifi” trick. It’s basically an unofficial restart function 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just want Sonos to acknowledge there is smoke and say they are looking for the fire.  I’m tired of them thinking its a configuration issue outside of the ARC when its so obviously been proven by so many posts here its directly related to something they introduced in an update.  (I’m still 100% certain from my own testing its related to audio format switching). 

I’m done with troubleshooting for them, and have stopped recommending their products to people because of this.  I’m very disappointed with how this has been handled. 

Yeah, its 100% a software issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am loving this “disable/enable wifi” trick. It’s basically an unofficial restart function 

It’s great that we might be finally getting some traction with Sonos support but a big benefit of this forum has been finding work arounds to make living with this easier while we wait for a fix. This is the best one!!!

I just spoke with Sonos support.  They admitted that there was an issue with the 14.6 update and that the developers are working on it.  Asked for that to be better communicated to the user base.  Also awaiting a callback from a manager to drive this point home...  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
@ peterbaultcongratulations to you, you've been there since the beginning, you always try to find a solution by all possible means, it's nice to have someone like you in the forum!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Please understand, I am DEEPLY disappointed this did not work out thus far.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I'm following along with you guys.....I have no idea WTF you are talking about, but you have my full support! GO GENTLEMEN!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just had it happen again. I’m convinced this is not network related 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Missionsparta  

We appreciate the fix and you communicating it to us. I'd like to suggest that in the future the company adds some protocol to better communicate with your customers as well as you first level tech support on issues thst appear to be more wide spread. Soooo many of us on here knew we were all experiencing the same issue as well as being aware it wasn't wifi glitch (due to many tests with ethernet connecting, etc), yet were told it was just a hicup as a result of network interference. 

For each case submitted by a customer, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. We strive to be transparent and accurate in our reporting of an issue and its resolution. In this case, we did not see an increase in reported issues nor were able to reproduce any reported issues that connected to the 14.6 update. 

We do acknowledge that some customers have been experiencing delayed audio or dropouts to surrounds and sub. 14.10 includes targeted improvements on audio synchronization for home theatre surrounds and Subs that will address these customers’ issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Missionsparta  

We appreciate the fix and you communicating it to us. I'd like to suggest that in the future the company adds some protocol to better communicate with your customers as well as you first level tech support on issues thst appear to be more wide spread. Soooo many of us on here knew we were all experiencing the same issue as well as being aware it wasn't wifi glitch (due to many tests with ethernet connecting, etc), yet were told it was just a hicup as a result of network interference. 

For each case submitted by a customer, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. We strive to be transparent and accurate in our reporting of an issue and its resolution. In this case, we did not see an increase in reported issues nor were able to reproduce any reported issues that connected to the 14.6 update. 

We do acknowledge that some customers have been experiencing delayed audio or dropouts to surrounds and sub. 14.10 includes targeted improvements on audio synchronization for home theatre surrounds and Subs that will address these customers’ issues.

All is well. System sounds amazing once again. Again, appreciate the help, nobhard feelings, keep up the good work, and be safe. Kudos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I had an update from one of the support contacts (the one that responded to my email to the CEO):

My apologies for my late response. I reviewed the case that you provided and it looks like it has been escalated to our Level 3 support to check the issue further. 

So I am back waiting for contact from level 3.

Its been 2 weeks now after performing hours of on the line tests/diagnostics which could not be resolved (or pin-pointed) during that call. This is on top of fully wiring the speakers, several factory resets, controlled power-downs/power-ups, Wi-Fi Scanning for interference, Router config changes, TV config changes, complete cable replacement, installing SVC, speaker repositioning, boost/no boast testing and general network diagnostics to ensure STP/loops are not a problem. (And I work in technology for a living, so I am not trying this as a novice). 

But if there’s a real issue here, I’d have thought that the Sonos team could have recreated it based on the information they’ve been handed. The fact that they haven’t is somewhat telling, although it’s certainly possible they just don’t have enough information yet. I don’t know, one way or another, but can certainly express that this issue has not appeared on either of my Arcs, both of which have Subs and Surround speakers set up. 

I do agree that there are multiple avenues to finding this problem. And it is possible that it is not caused (directly or indirectly) by the software update. But so many people in different parts of the world with different kit can pin point April as the start time of the problem, and a lot of them have not had problems before. So something has changed - and I can't hear any other suggestions on a resolution despite the myriad of testing that has been completed by the community. 

Quite frankly, I have tried everything, not getting much of a response from Sonos Support so don't know what to do to progress to resolution. It's a really depressing situation for something that was rock solid in stability before April.