Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 1

I got an Arc with 2 Symfonisk rears 2 days ago, and I’m also having frequent issues with the rears disconnecting. I’ve had contact with the support multiple times since then, tried all of their suggestions including removing Wi-Fi devices near the Arc (including the router itself), changing Wi-Fi channels, activating SonosNet, changing the SonosNet channel and rebooting the devices.

Usually rebooting the Arc fixes the issue temporarily, sometimes it repairs itself after a while. Once it only stopped for a minute or so: I stopped the movie playback after the issue started and resumed it shortly after. I’ve been able to play some movies (2h +) & episodes without issues. Most of the time the issue seems to occur when starting a new film. Might be coincidence, though. I’ve also had the issue come and go during a single playback other times (thus far only using Wi-Fi instead of SonosNet). Playing music didn’t fix the issue for me, like others have suggested, but I haven’t tried it that often yet.

I’ve contacted the support with at least 5 diagnostics, and they always tell me it’s due to Wi-Fi interference. They’ve also told me that it’s not a common issue when this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

I’ve had a Sony 5.1 system with wireless rears & sub before, which never had any such issues. I also don’t have any other Wi-Fi issues. It seems to me, if it actually is an interference issue, that Sonos devices are way more sensitive to it than other devices.

What might also be interesting to note is that the pause & volume buttons of the rears always keep working even when the sound stops on them.

Finding this thread I feel relief that I’m not alone in this and reading that some people where able to get to talk to makes me feel more hopeful. I was already considering returning the Arc, but I’ll wait a bit more and hope for the best 🙌. It would’ve been so much more transparent & helpful if the Sonos support would’ve told me it’s a known issue.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all,

We appreciate the ongoing engagement around your setups, your experiences and the issues you’re having with your systems.

Please bear in mind that updating a system can occasionally surface an issue that hadn't manifested previously, and that this does not mean the issue was caused by the update. Additionally, submitting a diagnostic can also sometimes cause interruptions during the submission, and for a few minutes afterwards. 

For each case submitted, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. Many of you have already been in contact with support to get help. Thank you, that is the best route to get your specific issue addressed most quickly. As always, the Sonos team continues to work to optimize the Sonos user experience and resolve the root cause of the problems discussed here. If you have not already contacted Support directly, please do and share a diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the issue occurring on your system. This helps the Sonos team verify the symptoms and determine the cause of the specific issue you are contacting about. 

At this time, we have been unable to reproduce the reported issue related to the recent update, which seems to affect a very small proportion of the total number of Arc and Beam users. We understand this is frustrating and are committed to working with each of you to resolve any issues you are experiencing. Our shared goal is to ensure a smooth and effortless experience with your Sonos system.

You can contact support via phone from Monday to Friday 10am - 8:30pm ET or by chat 24/7 via the Sonos Digital Assistant on the Sonos Support Site.

Hahaha, WHAT??!!?  @Corry, I contacted SONOS the week of v14.6’s release as I noticed the drop the very same day my software was auto-updated.  At first I thought it was a fluke since I had never had any issues with my setup for 6+ mos prior.  After it kept happening I started messing with my network and then finally contacted SONOS for support.  It wasn't until a few days after did I come across a SONOS article mentioning the release of 14.6 the night my issues began.  I have since contacted and provided SONOS with 8 + diagnostics and been trying to remain patient for a fix for over 7 weeks now.  

To say you cannot recreate is laughable.  

The only reason I haven't boxed everything up and sold everything online is that Id be pawning this infuriating issue off onto some unsuspecting person.  I will be calling in to provide a few more diagnostics but this response from you/SONOS is just asinine.  “...this does not mean the issue was caused by the update.”  Roll back to 14.5, release it as v14.9 and if my issue doesn't immediately go away I will apologize and sit tight with this bricked unit forever more.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi all,

We appreciate the ongoing engagement around your setups, your experiences and the issues you’re having with your systems.

Please bear in mind that updating a system can occasionally surface an issue that hadn't manifested previously, and that this does not mean the issue was caused by the update. Additionally, submitting a diagnostic can also sometimes cause interruptions during the submission, and for a few minutes afterwards. 

For each case submitted, the Sonos team works on isolating the issue and replicating anything out of the ordinary. Many of you have already been in contact with support to get help. Thank you, that is the best route to get your specific issue addressed most quickly. As always, the Sonos team continues to work to optimize the Sonos user experience and resolve the root cause of the problems discussed here. If you have not already contacted Support directly, please do and share a diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the issue occurring on your system. This helps the Sonos team verify the symptoms and determine the cause of the specific issue you are contacting about. 

At this time, we have been unable to reproduce the reported issue related to the recent update, which seems to affect a very small proportion of the total number of Arc and Beam users. We understand this is frustrating and are committed to working with each of you to resolve any issues you are experiencing. Our shared goal is to ensure a smooth and effortless experience with your Sonos system.

You can contact support via phone from Monday to Friday 10am - 8:30pm ET or by chat 24/7 via the Sonos Digital Assistant on the Sonos Support Site.

Ladies and Gentlemen...INITIATING DAMAGE CONTROL SEQUENCE IN 3, 2, 1.....WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

No, I don’t think it will be a local wireless issue either, at least not in every case, although I guess it could be (I suppose) in some instances, as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.

I was just wondering in your own reported case, when you said Sonos had said that it was a wireless issue, if they had advised you to change your your router (and/or extender) WiFi channels to ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channels and to maybe reduce the channel-widths etc. I would have thought that might have made a difference if it was ‘local interference’. Maybe give that a go and see.

Note: if the router channels are not fixed, then things can certainly change. A router reboot/update might change your network environment and, if using SonosNet, it might even cause a clash with its channel too. So it’s often worth making things static, but perhaps keep your eye on any neighbouring networks too.

Hi Ken,

As someone who isn’t experiencing this issue but seems to have followed along reasonably closely to this thread, I’m a bit curious that you still don’t seem to agree that this is likely a Sonos software problem and keep going down the interference path. I agree with your comment “…as there are a variety of different matters now reported in this quite lengthy thread.” however I think that’s just the nature of a thread this long. The core issues of:

-observing a loss of audio in sub and surrounds

-missing audio is completely missing, not picked up by the Arc 

-everything looks normal in the app, no errors showing, no speakers disconnected

-many things such as power cycling can bring the audio back temporarily

-Audio drops when starting new content, rarely mid stream. More likely to occur if switching HDMI inputs or audio types

-can be preceded by an echo or generally strange/poor audio. When restarting audio stream to fix echo, sub and surround are gone

-system was solid prior to 14.6. The issue for many was noticed shortly after. No other significant changes were made except the update.

As someone experiencing the issue, as soon as someone lists a combo of the above, it’s clear as day to me they’re experiencing the same issue as I am.  Given the tremendous effort by the user base here in troubleshooting and trying to isolate, I just don’t know how it could possibly be anything other than a Sonos software problem  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Just got off the phone with SONOS (escalation L2) and was asked to connect my Arc via ethernet cable instead of WIFI.  On a previous call with SONOS they asked that I hardwire any component besides the Arc…. Anyway, after being on the call for 58mins and 20mins of trying to “break the system” everything remained in tact without a drop. I will continue to monitor today/over the next couple days but explained that I bought this system as a wifi system, my Arc is mounted…. I had to pull it off the wall and just have it resting on my stand for now to run this test.  Her thought is that there’s an issue with the router and/or ISP - Broadcast vs Multicast.    Never had any issues with the entire system being connected via wifi until April 17th…. v14.6.  

@Corry P - this is what concerns me.

The L2 feels there is an issue with the ISP - Multicast or Broadcast. (Did the L2 mean Unicast rather than broadcast?). I am not sure what this really means, and with my experience of networking I am struggling to understand how an internet connection is involved in the sound drop-outs - after all, the video and other devices seems to work just fine when the drop outs occur. 

Logic would suggest that the same router that @Frank Smith is using, is the same router that was working in April. Also, there are affected users on this forum that are based in the US, Europe and United Kingdom. Again, logic would suggest that the different ISPs are not going to change how they deal with network transport all in the same month. And surely not everyone's routers are going to change behaviour in the same month without mass firmware updates across varying brands. 

This is not the first time I have heard its a local network issue, or its an ISP issue. However, there never seems to be any follow-on analysis of how and why this is the router or ISP. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

So there is no way to rollback the update?

THIS! How can something like this go on for so long? Sonos? Anyone? Respect to all of you who have kept your cool and decided to troubleshoot for a company that releases a bug into there system rendering their product unusable, but that’s not what I signed up for. I purchased what I believed to be a functioning wireless sound system. It isn’t. Full stop. Wait, IT WAS until 14.6. That’s what even more maddening. If I botched something at work and just walk telling my clients to figure it out, I wouldn’t have that job. Who would? Let’s not forget censoring a previous post with one of many diagnostic numbers in it. I have a call tomorrow with Customer experience person… I would prefer Patrick Spence. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

just chiming in quickly to say my system has still been stable since 14.10. I’m still touching my subwoofer occasionally though 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Yeah, sadly its 3 weeks tomorrow sitting at L3 with no contact for me. 

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m so pleased this is finally sorted. I’ve got a pile of new Blu-rays to catch up on now!

Thanks to everyone on this group who a) made me realise I wasn’t alone in having this problem, and b) spent time fault-testing and submitting diagnostics to get this fixed.

I’m still waiting for those surrounds to drop at any moment - I think it’s mild PTSD...

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

working directly with sonos support and submitting a diagnostic just results in them asking me to power cycle everything which of course fixes it temporarily but it just eventually comes back.

what else am I supposed to do?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’m still lurking also waiting for any news/fix for this.. I’ve got as far as a ‘level 3’ engineer with support after emailing the CEO and getting a response from Sonos on twitter, but I’ve been left hanging for about 2 weeks now with absolutely no response.

I guess my question is, has anybody had any kind of conversation with any of the level 3 techs yet about this? From what I can tell, when going the support route, that seems to be the point where the line goes dead.

Yeah, sadly its 3 weeks tomorrow sitting at L3 with no contact for me. 

I spoke with L3 yesterday and for the first time in 7+ weeks I’m optimistic this will be resolved.  I cannot say much but just wanted give hope to this community.  Its moving in the right direction in large part because of this tread and the work that’s gone on in here.  Thanks all!

Really appreciate you letting us know. If this does get resolved, a few things still needs to be done.

A) Everyone in this thread should be getting something from Sonos. $50 credit, year of Sonos music, etc...but something

B) Most of us are due an apology. I was essentially told I didn't under stand what bass was and how a subwoofer should sound by the last tech I talked to and was treated like a child even when I explained I fully understood what I should be hearing and how to tell if the sub was firing. While explaining that this happened after 14.6, but being told it was a network problem no matter how much you pointed to the problem occurring if you used an ethernet. Many of us were treated like simpletons.

C) I'd like to thank everyone on here that was going through extensive testing of things beyond my understanding with things such as the network diagnostics. I'm sure without that information disproving the myth that it was our networks, nothing would have forced Sonos hand.

So this is to crossing g our fingers and praying this really is going to be resolved.....let's wait for an update a BIG apology.

I don’t need any of that just a fix is fine

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Take to social media. Public shaming seems the only way they will step up and be acceptable. I just want my money back and they refused because of the 30 day 3rd party purchase. If enough of us make noise maybe those of us that just want a refund can get it.

Just posted this - will do more

https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/sonos-says-there-actually-isn’t-an-issue-with-the-latest-firmware.124255/

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Also, as an update it has just occurred again when on native Wi-Fi. (Sonos Support ID: 274543566)

When the speakers went off, I was running pings to see if they drop off the network.  But they were pingable throughout - whether working or not. Below you can see the subs and rears, all looks reasonable but there is no sound output. 

At this miserable point, and after many hours, Brad is going to retire and have a small cry 😀 until Sonos a) acknowledges an issue and b) they provide a fix to restore stability like it was prior to 14.6.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Perfect. 

Just in time for Doctor Strange 2 on Disney+ :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hello all,

Today, we released a software update (14.10) that includes targeted improvements on audio synchronization for home theater surrounds and Subs. If you have been experiencing delayed audio or dropouts to your surrounds or sub, this update should address your issue. We encourage you to update your system to the latest software release and to retest your system. 

If you continue to experience issues after this upgrade, please contact Sonos Support so we can help identify your specific issue and work to resolve it. 

Thank you for your continued engagement with the Sonos community. We understand any disruption to your experience is frustrating.  The Sonos team is committed to resolving any issue you experience so you can continue to enjoy your music and listening in the seamless manner you should expect.

We appreciate the fix and you communicating it to us. I'd like to suggest that in the future the company adds some protocol to better communicate with your customers as well as you first level tech support on issues thst appear to be more wide spread. Soooo many of us on here knew we were all experiencing the same issue as well as being aware it wasn't wifi glitch (due to many tests with ethernet connecting, etc), yet were told it was just a hicup as a result of network interference. Hell, I was told on the one call that I was misunderstanding what a sub was, what it does, and what the sound of bass should sounded like. When there is a mass group like this, the first level tech should be able to see that this is an larger issue and in order to properly collect the data they should be pushed through to the next level where they could possibly be hooked up with someone who was aware. I'm pretty sure the data I was trying to send you guys was swept under the rug and labeled as solved by the entry level support techs. Again, we do appreciate the fix though. I bought into the Sonos system because of articles and word of mouth about hiw rock solid the systems were. Hopefully that continues to be the case. Have a safe day.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

HELLO!?!?!? I am going to need someone from Sonos to acknowledge their update has broken our devices!

I feel for the poor moderators having to sift through all of this. So how about instead of them having to dig, sort and move the information on, they get #PatrickSpence in here to explain. What the hell is going on? His sitting high on the hog either the money from these sold devices. The silence is alarming. If you are a moderator, do yourself and us a favor...let them know you are tired of having to ignore this issue and force someone with some control to come on here and face the music for this mess.

I think they calculated how much the returns would cost to projected sales of the new system rollout and #patrickspence said, oh well, too bad for them. We stand to make x even if we loose Y in repeat customers. Tell me I'm wrong.

Sounds accurate. Guy needs his fifth swimming pool.

I emailed Mr. Patrick a few days ago, btw. No response 🤣 . douche-nozzle.

Trying people… Make noise, like someone else said

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

I have been puzzling of what is the point of me getting the SONOS Boost if my Arc + 2 x Gen 3 Sub + 2 x One are connected to it but still will be affected by my wifi router…? I thought the SONOS Boost creates a dedicated SONOS Net to connect SONOS products privately and not be affected by the wifi router? Am I buying a BS SONOS product which does not do what it claims…? The Tech Support had been pointing at my wifi setup for the dropouts! Peers have been asking about my near SGD$5,000 SONOS system and I have told them to avoid SONOS products at all cost. Unless they want to face the BS I am facing after spending thousands of dollars on a crap system. I must admit that I am pretty happy with the system before this SHIT dropout issue start happening since April this year… It was working near flawlessly b4 Apri.

I bought a Boost after the problems started occurring after the 14.6 update. $100. Didn’t help. Bought a new Asus zenWifi AX 6600 to replace my Orbi RBK50 mesh. Didn’t help. $450

So, the Boost can go on eBay or the trash can, but I’m keeping the Asus mesh cause it is better than the Orbi, but I’m over $500 in the hole trying to fix a problem that belongs to Sonos.

Don’t listen to tech about your system - it’s their problem.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Here’s my latest theory:

Looking for commonalities in this thread, everyone experiencing this issue has an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield and a newer high end TV that should support eARC.

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K and a Sony A1E OLED with the older ARC (not eARC) standard. The problem initially occurred in my system not with Apple TV but through the native Android TV apps. Navigating between various Youtube (on Android TV) videos, all encoded differently, would trigger it, in fact it would kill all sound not just from surrounds and sub but also from Sonos Arc soundbar itself.

I only noticed the subs and surrounds dropping out after I stopped using Youtube on the native Android TV OS completely and switched to watching Youtube on my Apple TV 4K. At that point I started switching more regularly between various sources i.e. I would watch Netflix, Prime, Disney + on native Android TV and I would use the Apple TV for Plex, Apple TV+ and Youtube as well as regular TV through the Cable Box.

After this, I noticed I had set my Audio Output on Apple TV 4K to ‘Dolby 5.1’ and not ‘auto’. Using the the Apple TV solely would not trigger any sub or surround drops and I assumed it was because all audio was being encoded to a single codec output. That is when I had initially surmised that something was going on with codec changes that was triggering the issue. (I initially reported my findings on page 13 of this thread)

I feel like there’s a pattern in all this somewhere. Just too many Apple TV’s represented in this thread. Even if you initially saw the issue on internal TV apps, you still have an Apple TV like most others. Where are the Roku Ultra or PS5 primary users? Apple TV is like 3% of the streaming OS market yet practically everyone experiencing this issue has one. Non eARC TV owners like yourself experiencing the issue seems to debunk multichannel PCM as the cause. Not sure if Dolby Mat could still be in play but seems less likely. Not saying it’s an Apple TV issue rather than Sonos but what does an Apple TV do differently than most other devices. 

I have a Shield Pro 2019 and I’m having exactly the same issue, no Apple TVs in my house. I’m pretty sure this one lands squarely with Sonos unfortunately (as we’re at their mercy for a fix).

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

The end of the nightmare is close at hand for me...

Good luck @ban25 - I hope you find peace with the new system. I am just too smitten with the Sonos sound (for AV) and will just keep plugging away. 

In my old house, I had Arcam AV8, 2 x REL 1200W subwoofers and M&K Speakers. It was awesome - until we moved of course! Sonos has been the only decent compromise in sound and is ‘New House’ (read Wife!) friendly. I am just going to stick with it. 

Userlevel 2

I 100% agree that 14.10 changed the overall mix.  I’m noticing way more coming to the rears than before, and slightly more stereo separation.  It all sounds good. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

If you experience a dropout or any other issue on your system, please contact support with your diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the drop-out occurring and we will look into it right away.

Hi @James L. 

Thanks for the comments, it's reassuring to hear a Sonos voice back on the forum again. 

I spent over 2 hours on a call today (which is completely fine) providing very explicit details of the issue and went through my setup, symptom's, current diagnostic approach, lots of questions and several tests. The good news was that we was able to replicate during the 2 hour call and 10+ diagnostics were submitted for analysis. Some when the system was working normally, some when the issue occurs. The case for this is 03907201 but waiting for an email as I had to leave to pick up my children from school. (Email has not arrived in the last hour). By the time I had to leave the call, support noted they had seen an error (when subs/rears dropped) but yet to understand what that is and if it's relevant to the issue. 

All,

The issue was replicated when changes sources/apps and then the sound dropped. Previously I had been playing a film on loop for many hours and nothing had dropped. This ‘extended single source’ test I have done a few times before and the sound has been solid. Mess around with formats, and the issue occurs. 

I don't think I can do much more to support remediation path at this stage. The support team seem satisfied with my remediation attempts and its down to the analysis of what they can see within the 10+ diagnostics submitted during the call.

As always, I'll keep you posted when I hear something back from Sonos. 

Thanks,

Brad

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Please........roll.......us........back

I don’t think they can - all their recent products would probably not integrate. It’s gone to far now sadly.

Ugh. I've got a wife just asking my to unplug the thing until they fix it because it is so annoying. This better not go the route of "not us, good luck". Everything worked fantastic, no equipment change, etc until an update and I was tossed into this boat with you fellas. We are going to need a Sonos Anonymous Support group. Meet once a month to talk about what once was.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

look I’m frustrated too but paying money doesn’t entitle you to be a jerk

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi all,

So I guess it's too bad you have a problem because it's not our problem? That's the company line?  THE SYSTEM YOU SELL DOESN'T WORK POST 14.6! I want my money back. Take your products back and give me my money back. I'll move on to another wireless system. You are not the only one, but you are definitely becoming the worst one. Your company broke the system and now you are blaming us?!? The customer!?!