Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve reluctantly returned my full Sonos system whilst I had that window of opportunity. Gutted. It really sounds good

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

@Corry P  Really shocked that Sonos havn’t been able to reproduce the issue, just feels like a deflection to not be held accountable. I would recommend they take a few of the TV’s on this spreadsheet of users suffering from the issue and test Arc & Surrounds with that - and follow the user notes of how to trigger the issue. (AppleTV start netflix/amazon trailers, start netflix/amazon shows, Youtube then repeat on internal apps)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Q6Iq2xXXZ--RmnsGnbZhujxJj1BcwJlvqSzj5iZXz2U/edit?usp=sharing

Not a single user has said ‘Sonos support fixed my issue by doing X with my system/network’. This is clearly a software issue. It’s also very likely that only a portion of Arc users are suffering as some don’t have surrounds/subs, some don’t change sources often, some power cycle every day, or some don’t even notice.

For the first time since this saga started, yesterday I started googling alternative home theatre setups, and stopped myself because I still have faith in Sonos as a brand and really do love their products. Hearing you’ve been unable to reproduce the issue, and thus, are clearly not working on a fix makes me feel like I really do have to start looking at alternatives.

I second you , unsure why Sonos isn’t owning the problem. @Corry P there may be a few proportion of people reporting this on the forum, they might have contacted your support while still waiting on the fix. My issue started on 21st April, never before that and I am using the complete immersion set. Sonos can’t wash hands by running away from the problem. Please issue a recall as so many people on this forum aren’t crazy to try alternatives when your engineering team isn’t able to recreate a problem. Please ask your engineering team how long they run the systems? After a power cycle, my system works fine for 1-2 hours and once the issue occurs, it just becomes super frequent. I as a user was one of the first ones to experience and report the problem and while your team was focused on pointing it to the network, I tweaked but the issue regardless occurred. I have provided your Level 3 engineering team with good and bad diagnostics. Why do they need to recreate an issue at their end? What’s the purpose of submitting diagnostics when you want to recreate the issue at your end. I don’t want your updates, please provide a solution where I can rollback to 14.5 and permanently disable Auto updates. This isn’t acceptable by any standards

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Frank Smith Just to warn you; There are lots of us with Arc’s on Ethernet that are suffering from the issue still

Hey, yes, I know this is only temporary - sadly.  I let her know that many have it wired and experience the same drop.  Just doing this to provide one more diagnostic report to them.  9th time the charm?  

No real surprise.  Was using the built in YouTube TV app and switched over to PS5.  The game I was playing didn't really require a lot of sound so had the volume on low.  After a while I turned it up to see and sure enough, nothing coming out of the rears.  Switched to Netflix, put on a movie I always test this against and yup, rears/subs dropped.

Disconnected the ethernet from the Arc, mounted it back on my wall and shut everything off.  Cant be bothered with this anymore today.  11 days short of 3 months since I first experienced this issue.  v14.6 is the cause, not our network, wifi signal vs ethernet cable, TV….. its the SONOS software we foisted with.  

Diagnostic sent - back to waiting for a fix.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

An update on progress so far.

After my 2 hours + yesterday investigating the issue, I was contacted by an engineer today who has taken over the case. I would like to say that both the 1st line and Engineer have been very helpful, supportive and forthcoming. And I don’t mind spending the time if it means we can move forward.

I have some tests to run tonight to help fault-find the issue further. The current investigation is based around an error observed with CEC when the issue is triggered – and this is where the engineer wants to investigate further to assess whether it’s the TV, AppleTV or Sonos etc.

Although I do not know a lot about CEC more than the very basics, I do know that each time I switch between sources within Apple TV (i.e. going from Disney, to Amazon Prime to AppleTV+) my Panasonic will look like it has changed source fully. i.e. it will come up ‘HDMI1 + Atmos’ or ‘HDMI1 +  DD’ etc on the screen like you have gone from HDMI1 to HDMI2. This is because I have Apple TV set to change based on the source signal via Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate settings.  Enabling these settings is logical as different films have different video encoding and you want to match that as best as possible.

This is early in the investigation so lets not jump ahead of ourselves, but I did want to keep you updated. I also feel this line of investigation has some merit.  Not just because the engineer can see a CEC error, but also the symptoms a lot of us are reporting are based on moving between formats and this type of source change issue is not exclusive to Apple TV. It certainly could occur going from your PlayStation to you favorite native TV App.

As always, Ill keep you posted.

Regards,

Brad

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

the fact that they specifically called it out gives me hope

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Honestly, Sonos has really dropped the ball here and the latest reply from @Corry P is an extremely carefully worded response that seems to have been run through legal. The reply is designed to cover Sonos from all angles without committing to a fix or acknowledging the widespread nature of the issue. Thus allowing them to indefinitely kick the can down the road. This is not how a company should respond.

Even though I was advised I would hear back from Sonos after my discussion with an L2/L3 engineer a month ago I have not heard a thing. Calling in over and over again does nothing for those of us who have already escalated the issue with Sonos and have not received a response.

Does anyone think that this might be a hardware related issue and not just software related hence their inability to fix the issue in software. It might explain the careful wording of the response from @Corry P. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Its back again - triggered when moving between AppleTV and Amazon Prime.

Experiment over.  Brad 0, Sonos 55.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

One of the worst side effects of all this (apart from the obvious) is that you cut even decide to move away from Sonos and sell your kit to put toward a new kit. You would literally be selling this pain and torment to someone else.

We kind of really are sitting with an attractive Brick. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

the nature of the issue is so inconsistent I won’t really believe it’s fixed until I’ve had a week of no issues. I’ve also now developed an annoying habit of touching my subwoofer whenever I walk by it to make sure it’s working 

Holy crap.... My wife just said "why in the hell do you keep touching that thing everytime you walk by". Lol

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

This sux

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems.  The  typical cause is duplicate IP addresses.  These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

several people have already done all this and already reserved IP addresses. the issue persists

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Personally, I am getting tired of hearing to submit reports and each situation is different....it is painfully obvious the mass majority of us is experiencing the same issue occurs g at the same update. I am losing my patience with the denial and refusal to acknowledge the major issue. I'd like someone from this company to confirm this issue and tell us how they plan on issuing refunds if they are unable to fix this issue. I'm not going along the "oh well, I'm out $2K" route. This is either getting fixed quickly or time for some reimbursement.

Take to social media. Public shaming seems the only way they will step up and be acceptable. I just want my money back and they refused because of the 30 day 3rd party purchase. If enough of us make noise maybe those of us that just want a refund can get it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Well the hell with it - go here and advertise

tips@cnn.com

I’m doing it

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’ve emailed Patrick Spence this morning, and have been trying to make noise on Twitter about it.. I’d advise everyone else to try and do the same. Going to contact the UK supplier I bought from as well now. I think that’s the only thing that will make Sonos move any quicker with this. They’ve clearly prioritized the new products over sorting this out and current loyal customers have been hung out to dry.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

So I just was using the system. Action scene...loud booms and not...sub working great. Someone at the door. I pause. Five minutes later, unpause and sub is out. I submit a report, I call sonos and try and get then on the phone to look while the issue is happening. After being on hold for five, the sub is back when I unpause it. After about twenty minutes of the usual of blaming the wifi, it actually cuts I out while I have support on, but he keeps wanting to explain to me the basics of a sub and bass, while telling me when I'm on a scene with no action or loud noises, I wouldn't notice sound from the sub anyhow. When I explain I know how the sub works and it's not working right then, he goes into a lecture about the wifi. Like an idiot I pause and unpause it and it comes back. I tell him this occurred after the uodate and I get the second lecture that updates don't cause this, poor wifi causes this. I am about done. I'm glad everyone's wifi/router setup decided to take a crap all at the same time as the update. I'm also glad that apparently my router has decided that this system is the only thing I own that it is choosing to cut out.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

So I just was using the system. Action scene...loud booms and not...sub working great. Someone at the door. I pause. Five minutes later, unpause and sub is out. I submit a report, I call sonos and try and get then on the phone to look while the issue is happening. After being on hold for five, the sub is back when I unpause it. After about twenty minutes of the usual of blaming the wifi, it actually cuts I out while I have support on, but he keeps wanting to explain to me the basics of a sub and bass, while telling me when I'm on a scene with no action or loud noises, I wouldn't notice sound from the sub anyhow. When I explain I know how the sub works and it's not working right then, he goes into a lecture about the wifi. Like an idiot I pause and unpause it and it comes back. I tell him this occurred after the uodate and I get the second lecture that updates don't cause this, poor wifi causes this. I am about done. I'm glad everyone's wifi/router setup decided to take a crap all at the same time as the update. I'm also glad that apparently my router has decided that this system is the only thing I own that it is choosing to cut out.

Remember... They are not going to fix this. They are now walking away saying we did something wrong. Start tweeting, post on Facebook, Insta, whatever. The only way they are going to fix this is a public shaming. What a joke of a company.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Everyone still good?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Chris85 @PeterYo Just a reminder, that even if you think others are reporting/diagnosing the issue with Sonos, it will really help if you call Sonso support and log support diagnostic numbers with them directly, as it will make Sonos more aware of the issue and help them hone in on what the issue is. More data will likely mean a quicker fix.

Ok so after todays messing around I’ve lost connection with the surrounds. The surrounds DO still control the volume though.

So my question is, why would we lose sound to the rears and subs, but still be connected enough to control the sound? I am not sure what the answer is, buts its pretty obscure. 

Simple. The network connection carries multiple types of traffic, between different software modules. Control commands are evidently making it okay, but it seems that something is stopping the streams, possibly at their source in the Arc.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Sadly, I spoke too soon. 14.8 does NOT fix this issue.

Recent diagnostics when the problem happened: 1548160082

Userlevel 1

Sonos should take accountability for this issue. 

Notify all of your technical support team that it is a known issue, I’ve spoken to over 6 agents over the past few weeks… no one said it was a known issue to me… mentioning it could be my wifi interference, my router settings, my Sonos settings or my tv was faulty… 

Arc / Surround / Sub users should be notified that it is a known issue and Sonos is supposedly working on a fix.

This will stop others from wasting hours trouble shooting and spending money replacing items that are not at fault. Like me unfortunately replacing hdmi cables, routers and having technicians come to check the tv.

All because your support team did not address the real issue and are suggesting its everything but Sonos’s fault.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

She did say she would pass it along to the development team, but I’m not optimistic that will lead to anything. She also said she was unaware of any threads in the community section on this and “couldn’t find” this thread, so definitely appears like Sonos is presuming the issue is not on their end.

What would be helpful from Sonos is them substantiating why the issue is not their software.

We seem to all be hearing that this is not a problem (or it would be happening to more people) but affected users never get the BECAUSE part.  i.e. “This is not a software problem BECAUSE we can see that the source device cut the sound due to a signal it sent to the Sonos device”. Or “This is a problem with your speakers BECAUSE we can see errors on the ARC”.  For some inexplicable reason, at current we receive “This is not a software problem. Thanks.”

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi all,

We understand the frustration any customer feels when your experience isn’t what it should be.

We equally understand the frustrations around and apologise for the recent communications that have led to confusion about the 14.6 update.

Please be assured that your listening experience, the sound quality, and the performance of our products is and will remain our absolute priority.

If you experience a dropout or any other issue on your system, please contact support with your diagnostic report from within 10 minutes of the drop-out occurring and we will look into it right away.

There are different reasons why drop outs may occur, and we want to make sure that we can help you.

Seeing as this topic is not resolved for those commenting, I have removed the ‘best answer’ until further notice.

I had a pre-arranged SONOS - Ampac call with higher level support after spending hours with regular support. I have submitted over 10 diagnostics. I have all the diagnostic numbers still.

I was informed I would hear back from support on May 10th after the issue had been discussed internally. Never heard back from support. No email, No phone call. Nothing. Details below. Kindly, tell me exactly how much more time I should spend talking to support. How should I proceed?

Date and Time: Saturday, May 07, 2022 - 4:00PM EDT
Preferred Phone Number: XXXXXX
Alternate Phone Number:  
Confirmation Number: G196288M
Case #:

I will be calling Sonos later today and screaming at them I'm beyond pi**ed. For them not to say it's a software update is bizzare. I didn't change sh*t to my setup, as soon as the update hit I went searching for answers in the local FB group. Then was pointed to come here. And wallah same situations. 

You may find this link helpful in your case… I think it’s worth you reading some aspects of it, prior to any contact.

https://www.sonos.com/en-ie/legal/customer-guidelines

HTH

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Brad Porter

Admittedly that’s the sort of approach I would prefer to take, had I been experiencing this issue. I still believe giving Sonos the data/information they really need, is the best way to resolve the issues, rather than running off to other forums/outlets and shouting about the problem from the rooftops as @Foxis would have us all do. 

All that ‘impatient’ shouting achieves nothing other than creating pressure on people to put a ‘sticking plaster’ on the issue quickly, which will undoubtedly continue to leak, whereas I think it’s better for Sonos to cast their net wide, gather all the data/information they need and then allow them time to fix, test their work and release a software update that will hopefully solve the problem once and for all.

@Ken_Griffiths 

Are you paid by Sonos to shoot down legitimate opinions? You do not even appear to be experiencing the issue by your own description? Do you just hang around other threads defending Sonos for free? Hardly.

I HAVE been in contact with Sonos, and given them numerous diagnostics. I am STILL waiting for their tech / escalation team to get in touch with me. They simply don’t call or email when they say they will.

So again, at some point my patience runs out and I will call them out on their bad customer service.