Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 2

I have gotten tired of my subs / surrounds constantly kicking out.  As others have indicated, its obviously triggered by format switching (PCM Stereo / Dolby 5.1 / Atmos).  For context I’m using an Apple TV as my only source connected to a LG CX.  I had been using PassThru mode with audio set to original on the Apple TV with eARC on the CX.

To mitigate the issue until they produce a fix, I have fallen back to adjusting audio to Dolby Digital on the  Apple TV, changed the TV settings to ARC, and Auto to eliminate possible opportunities for the encoding to change and break the experience.  So far, I have been able to enjoy my setup again even with lower quality audio, it still sounds better than losing my sub and surrounds.

I’ll wait for Sonos to fix this mess before adjusting my settings back.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have gotten tired of my subs / surrounds constantly kicking out.  As others have indicated, its obviously triggered by format switching (PCM Stereo / Dolby 5.1 / Atmos).  For context I’m using an Apple TV as my only source connected to a LG CX.  I had been using PassThru mode with audio set to original on the Apple TV with eARC on the CX.

To mitigate the issue until they produce a fix, I have fallen back to adjusting audio to Dolby Digital on the  Apple TV, changed the TV settings to ARC, and Auto to eliminate possible opportunities for the encoding to change and break the experience.  So far, I have been able to enjoy my setup again even with lower quality audio, it still sounds better than losing my sub and surrounds.

I’ll wait for Sonos to fix this mess before adjusting my settings back.

Sad that we have to resort to this. I upgraded from Playbar to ARC in April. If I was happy with regular Dolby digital I might as well just return the ARC and go back to the Playbar

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Noticed Peter Pee has a video here addressing 14.6

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

All of those have pretty much been debunked in here as being fixed. And having to buy another roofer of Sonos hardware is a ridiculous solution for something that Sonos themselves have broken!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

don’t get me wrong, this bug sucks but on streaming devices using Dolby digital instead of LPCM is not lower quality. The source stream is Dolby digital and lossy anyway the device is just decoding it and outputting as LPCM

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

don’t get me wrong, this bug sucks but on streaming devices using Dolby digital instead of LPCM is not lower quality. The source stream is Dolby digital and lossy anyway the device is just decoding it and outputting as LPCM

Most common streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1 titles I think so Dolby Digital could be considered a downgrade. I’m not sure how noticeable the difference is in practice though. Probably not much. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Most common streaming services use Dolby Digital Plus for 5.1 titles I think so Dolby Digital could be considered a downgrade. I’m not sure how noticeable the difference is in practice though. Probably not much. 

Fair enough but yeah not noticeable at all in my experience 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As someone without eARC on their TV who had only ever used Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital+ (not Atmos, other than converted) … I’m still suffering from the issue. This workaround doesn’t resolve things for me. I’m on an older (no eARC, just ARC) Sony Bravia and still plagued by the issue when the AppleTV is set to output Dolby Digital. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hello,

Just an update, did another test and made sure the network was perfect by plugging in the ARC and the AppleTV to my router. The Matrix showed as solid green all the time - it was pretty much optimal conditions. 

132955780 is the next diagnostics where the issue occurred switching between Amazon Prime (Stereo PCM) and then to Disney (MPCM 5.1). There is (as others have said time and time again) no way this is a networking issue! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

As someone without eARC on their TV who had only ever used Dolby Digital (not Atmos, other than converted) … I’m still suffering from the issue. This workaround doesn’t resolve things for me. I’m on an older (no eARC, just ARC) Sony Bravia and still plagued by the issue when the AppleTV is set to Dolby Digital. 

Interesting. Does the Sonos app report Dolby Digital or some kind of multichannel PCM when you’re watching 5.1 content?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There’s another new software update y’all. Maybe this is the one?! 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Newer than 14.6.2?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Here’s my latest theory:

Looking for commonalities in this thread, everyone experiencing this issue has an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield and a newer high end TV that should support eARC.

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K and a Sony A1E OLED with the older ARC (not eARC) standard. The problem initially occurred in my system not with Apple TV but through the native Android TV apps. Navigating between various Youtube (on Android TV) videos, all encoded differently, would trigger it, in fact it would kill all sound not just from surrounds and sub but also from Sonos Arc soundbar itself.

I only noticed the subs and surrounds dropping out after I stopped using Youtube on the native Android TV OS completely and switched to watching Youtube on my Apple TV 4K. At that point I started switching more regularly between various sources i.e. I would watch Netflix, Prime, Disney + on native Android TV and I would use the Apple TV for Plex, Apple TV+ and Youtube as well as regular TV through the Cable Box.

After this, I noticed I had set my Audio Output on Apple TV 4K to ‘Dolby 5.1’ and not ‘auto’. Using the the Apple TV solely would not trigger any sub or surround drops and I assumed it was because all audio was being encoded to a single codec output. That is when I had initially surmised that something was going on with codec changes that was triggering the issue. (I initially reported my findings on page 13 of this thread)

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I am stuck on 14.6.1 (UK based) so have not even got 14.6.2 available. Also, I suspect 14.6.3 is something to do with the music issue they are reporting…..

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wait… maybe not. It just did a super fast update, like 15 seconds. No idea what it was, still on 14.6.2

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I am stuck on 14.6.1 (UK based) so have not even got 14.6.2 available. Also, I suspect 14.6.3 is something to do with the music issue they are reporting…..

App is still 14.6.1

Firmware should be 14.6.2 for you too I think.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

App is still 14.6.1

Sadly not - 14.6.1 and it says all my system is up to date. 🙄

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry - you are right - firmware is 14.6.2. 

Jelly brain!

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

App is still 14.6.1

Oh, that’s weird then.

But it’s fine. It’s not like you’re missing anything really.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

App is still 14.6.1

Ah damn. I think I might’ve just updated my Roam. It might’ve been out of battery when I did the update and subsequent checks for further updates. Sorry to get your hopes up! 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Unfortunately, he really doesn’t address 14.6 at all.  He just makes some general suggestions regarding WiFi, which most of us were already doing (SonosNet, Boost, etc.).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I refunded my Arc and 2 subs today since I was within my return period. Got really tired of Sonos not acknowledging this bug after a whole month of frustration from us. Will use my money towards a stable sound setup.

Hope you guys find a resolution soon! I’d be really upset if I couldn’t return my system due to this bug.

I have 13 Sonos devices throughout the house that I am preparing to put on eBay if this is not resolved by the end of the month.  Please post here and let us know what you move to for a Home Theater setup.  A wired setup is challenging for me because one wall of my living room is glass.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Here’s my latest theory:

Looking for commonalities in this thread, everyone experiencing this issue has an Apple TV 4K or Nvidia Shield and a newer high end TV that should support eARC.

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K and a Sony A1E OLED with the older ARC (not eARC) standard. The problem initially occurred in my system not with Apple TV but through the native Android TV apps. Navigating between various Youtube (on Android TV) videos, all encoded differently, would trigger it, in fact it would kill all sound not just from surrounds and sub but also from Sonos Arc soundbar itself.

I only noticed the subs and surrounds dropping out after I stopped using Youtube on the native Android TV OS completely and switched to watching Youtube on my Apple TV 4K. At that point I started switching more regularly between various sources i.e. I would watch Netflix, Prime, Disney + on native Android TV and I would use the Apple TV for Plex, Apple TV+ and Youtube as well as regular TV through the Cable Box.

After this, I noticed I had set my Audio Output on Apple TV 4K to ‘Dolby 5.1’ and not ‘auto’. Using the the Apple TV solely would not trigger any sub or surround drops and I assumed it was because all audio was being encoded to a single codec output. That is when I had initially surmised that something was going on with codec changes that was triggering the issue. (I initially reported my findings on page 13 of this thread)

I feel like there’s a pattern in all this somewhere. Just too many Apple TV’s represented in this thread. Even if you initially saw the issue on internal TV apps, you still have an Apple TV like most others. Where are the Roku Ultra or PS5 primary users? Apple TV is like 3% of the streaming OS market yet practically everyone experiencing this issue has one. Non eARC TV owners like yourself experiencing the issue seems to debunk multichannel PCM as the cause. Not sure if Dolby Mat could still be in play but seems less likely. Not saying it’s an Apple TV issue rather than Sonos but what does an Apple TV do differently than most other devices. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Here’s my latest theory:

I feel like there’s a pattern in all this somewhere. Just too many Apple TV’s represented in this thread. Even if you initially saw the issue on internal TV apps, you still have an Apple TV like most others. Where are the Roku Ultra or PS5 primary users? Apple TV is like 3% of the streaming OS market yet practically everyone experiencing this issue has one. Non eARC TV owners like yourself experiencing the issue seems to debunk multichannel PCM as the cause. Not sure if Dolby Mat could still be in play but seems less likely. Not saying it’s an Apple TV issue rather than Sonos but what does an Apple TV do differently than most other devices. 

There are people in this thread with the issue that don’t have an Apple TV 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Here’s my latest theory:

There are people in this thread with the issue that don’t have an Apple TV 

Ya I’ll have to go back and check. The ones I recall had an Nvidia shield and the one fellow who used internal tv apps and occasionally a pc. That’s what put me on to Dolby Mat since the shield and windows also have Dolby Mat. Maybe I’m just remembering what fits my theory and ignoring the rest though.