Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Hi All,

Firstly, I spilt beer on my Apple Keyboard. This is not good. And the keyboard is not happy with me and continues to protest with sticky keys. This is the first actual victim of this incident - I say this as I do not expect its life to extend much longer. 

Onto more important things. This is what I learnt from tonight's experiment. (Previous reporters of specific symptoms, please forgive the repetition below). 

1. I managed to replicate the problem even though the system is fully wired with no Wi-Fi. (No discredit to those who have said this before, its just that I now have 1209719091 as a reference during my Engineering conversations). Thanks to @Simple Panda
  2. Again, at least for me, I went to Amazon Prime and played a few trailers. Once I switched back to Netflix (Iron Man 2) the Subs and Rears were not functioning. 
  3. I then proceeded with the tip from @rsint and just disabled the Ethernet, and then re-enabled the Ethernet. All sound and normal operation was restored from that point. IMPORTANT NOTE: whilst doing this, my TV went blank and then come back to life. i.e. the disabling of the Ethernet and re-enabling did ‘something’ to the TV. whilst it was doing it. This (I think) has to be a clue in the investigation. I don’t know what that clue is/means, but whatever happens during that process is something to do with the issue - directly or indirectly. And it restores sound.

So Wi-Fi now has to be completely eradicated from the analysis. It's something more ‘up wire’. Some connection between the ARC and the TV (i.e. the network reset impacted the TV, quite visually) is in the mix. 

I don't know what this all points too, but it certainly eliminates communication and points more toward software at the ARC, TV, AppleTV level. 

If anyone has a spare keyboard, please send. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

How comes on this issue/thread, the Sonos team was happy to ask for short term testing to help diagnosing the issue?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

14.8 lasted 45min

D# 2005309792

FYI this forum blocked 4 different versions of me trying to air out this issue. I had to thin it out to above...Customer experience call was a tow the line 101.I’m up on twitter airing this out. @FailSonos

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

After keeping up with this issue for weeks and worrying when/if it’ll hit me, it finally has.

Sub and surrounds dropping out.

Such a shame this hasn’t been fixed yet or allowing us to roll back to a stable version. 

Really sorry to hear that @azing - we would not wish this on anyone. 

Ken is correct, you should submit a diagnostic and then contact support. This will both show a growing issue and also provide more data to allow Sonos Engineering to triangulate the issue. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@terrysilver +all

Been monitoring this thread.

This is my experience too. I experienced this last night again after updating to 14.8 - I was watching Hulu live tv for a few hours, switching channels in the Hulu app now and then, sometimes quitting Hulu and going to another app like Disney+, but never changing inputs - stayed on the Roku TV.

This is on a TCL Roku Series 6 tv. When it happens is just random - for a few hours it’s fine - maybe more than that, then the subs and surrounds just stop outputting sound. The subs and surrounds still show up in the app and my Asus router map as connected. Have experienced this both on Sonosnet and wifi to router.

Have tried a Boost as well - still happens.

I do have an Apple TV 4K, but rarely use it. I’ve reset everything many times (like everyone has done) and disconnected the Apple TV, both power and hdmi, and just use the Roku apps (Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, etc.) and the issue still occurs - when, how or why is not understood.

Sometimes it’s just surrounds, sometimes surrounds and subs. Have also experienced the sub echo thing occasionally, but not always.

Just wanted to chip in that in my experience it isn’t just input switching that triggers it (maybe this has been discussed already).

Have started to submit diagnostics when it happens. Anyway, hope they resolve this as it’s very frustrating.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Has Sonos stated that it’s definitively not a software issue?  I’ve only seen responses that say they can’t reproduce the issue.  Granted, I haven’t read every page of this thread.

That's a very fair question. 

Sonos have remained fairly neutral in their responses. They have not explicitly ruled out a software issue, but neither have they offered any root-cause to why a subset of their customers are having an issue despite this thread and multiple support/diagnostics submissions.

I am certain this is challenging and specific edge case problem - which makes it hard to diagnose especially in lab type environments. But as mentioned before, there is a Sonos process to diagnose and resolve technical issues.  But the process is being followed and once it gets to the Engineers, contact is severed or responses are untenable. In my personal situation, I now have two dead ends despite Corey P’s statement of the process to follow and Sonos commitment to fix.

Just checking in. Some of my posts have been deleted (external links of where to complain - heck - I even got banned from one of those sites for complaining, lol!)

Can’t remember my last post but can confirm that I haven’t had a drop since I installed the sonos voice assistant and power cycled everything. It’s been over a week and it’s just working flawlessly with my TCL series 6 Roku tv. I have not, and will not reconnect my ATV 4k (said I would try it but I don’t want to mess it up - too tired of this).

Two Ones, two gen 3 subs and an Arc, all up to date (14.8.1 in app). Even reconnected my satellite back up (Asus zenwifi ax 6600) and haven’t had a problem. Only installed voice assistant on Arc.

Hope this post doesn’t get deleted. I don’t switch inputs, just use the Roku and it’s been solid.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Guys - I have an expected day in the office tomorrow and won't have time to ask Sonos where they are with my case unfortunately. Ill therefore provide a progress update on Wednesday.

If anyone else has any updates, then I am all ears. Getting desperate for some good news!

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

there’s also “Hey Sonos” coming soon

“Hey Sonos, can you rollback my devices to 14.5” 😉

🤣

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

We've got 27 pages of this. Lol. Sonos just needs to come o. Here and acknowledge it. The secrecy thing does not look good and gives a bad taste to your loyals.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Even if they could just give us the last firmware back somehow.  At least we could enjoy the multi-thousand costing system in the interim!

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I would personally take a different approach to @Foxis and that is to submit a Sonos diagnostic report to this thread when you encounter the issue - it’s that reporting process that will likely get the matter resolved far more quickly than threatening to ‘shoot the bunny’.

You can do both. However, at some point you just lose patience and want to move on with life. I am not paid to do QA for Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Please do not only post problems here. To make Sonos aware of any problem make a diagnostic after the problem surfaces an call Sonos. The diagnostics might give them a clue to a solution too….

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Just installed my CEC blocking adapter and was able to reproduce the issue still 

this nightmare will never end

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I guess that rules out the HDMI cable being faulty then…

Almost immediately after people post here saying ‘so far, so good’ …the issue then suddenly shows up again.

I feel so beaten. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I suggest that one who abuses people who, for whatever reason, are unable fight back most certainly is a symptom of exactly what’s wrong in this world. 

look I’m frustrated too but paying money doesn’t entitle you to be a jerk

I agree while at the same time I understand the frustration. Let’s not resort to hyperbole. We can all setup strawmen only to knock them down ourselves. I believe the individual in this forum was expressing his frustration. The blame for this frustration falls at the feet of Sonos who is failing hard to address this situation 49 pages into this thread. That’s where the focus should remain.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Frank Smith Just to warn you; There are lots of us with Arc’s on Ethernet that are suffering from the issue still

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I just got the issue again, this time only switching channels via the TVs internal Freeview tuner. So not a change of source. It then followed the usual pattern of coming back out of sync/echoing then it eventually sorts itself out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

This may be a completely ridiculous thought, but is there anyone with this issue and is deep in this like us, that is from Santa Barbara or somewhere relatively close that they could send a top engineer over and diagnose that system and finally be done with this?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I just got the issue again, this time only switching channels via the TVs internal Freeview tuner. So not a change of source. It then followed the usual pattern of coming back out of sync/echoing then it eventually sorts itself out.

Did the channel you changed to have a different video format or sound format?

I don’t believe so. Both Dolby Multichannel PCM 2.0. When it goes out of sync, it sounds like you are watching TV in a large sports hall or a tunnel.

Yeah, I have experienced that ‘Concert Hall’ sound from time to time. 

I think we only have the Engineering path now guys. As time consuming as it is, we need to all get on the phone and help Sonons triangulate this issue. The alternative is endless fix attempts and a system that looks great but performs inconsistently.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Support had me change out the HDMI cable to see if it was an issue with HDMI CEC interference that might be causing the dropouts/errors. I changed out the HDMI cable to a brand new cable however it did not alleviate the issue.

I have changed every single cable in my system, moved from Sonos wired to actual wired (i.e. all speaker connected via Ethernet) and nothing has helped. My next stage is to replace all the speakers! (And I know that is not the answer!)

Well, you could replace them with something other than Sonos. I’m not there myself, but I really can’t see myself buying any new Sonos gear going forward after this experience.  We have Sonos in every room and we’ve had Sonos for going to back to first-generation so this isn’t something I say lightly.

To be honest, the primary use case in my household is HT (Arc, 2xOne, 1xSub) and AirPlay 2. I open the Sonos app to do software updates and change the settings. My wife never opens the Sonos app and I’m not sure she even has it installed despite using the Sonos speakers literally every day (AirPlay 2 streaming for her devices = so much easier).

In 2022, there are so many other vendors who are shipping systems who check these boxes (Atmos HT w/ AirPlay 2, “smart speakers” with AirPlay 2, etc). With AirPlay 2, I don’t even need to replace my Sonos gear with gear from the same vendor. I can get the crazy new Sony Atmos speaker setup for the living room, a Bose speaker for the kitchen, a HomePod Mini for my bedside table, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my Sonos gear.

But, the lack of any response on this is unacceptable at this point. I regularly see threads on Reddit (or other forums) where users are asking “Why is my sync going out all of a sudden?” or “Why is my sub suddenly cutting out?”

This issue is obviously affecting many many more people than the folks in this thread who are discussing it directly.

Would be really, really nice to get an official update from Sonos about this as well as a timeline for a fix.

Honestly just some kind of acknowledgment would be amazing in and of itself. Even if there is no timeline for a fix. Because as it stands right now, I have about $1100 worth of useless gear and it’s making me nervous that it’ll stay useless given that it’s been a really long time with these issues

Userlevel 1

So again, had this happen today for 3 times already. Tomorrow i’ll be submitting reports as well.

However…

Does anyone know if returns are possible considering i got a worthless sub and 2 Sl because of their software? 

The 100 days have passed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

at first glance it seems okay after power cycling everything but that’s how it was before too until it happened again. Will keep an eye on it and report back 

Happened to me right now after a power cycle unfortunately..

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Corry P - for reference, this is the email I was sent nearly two weeks ago after hours of testing on the call and many, many diagnostic reports sent. At one point, there was a CEC error that was noted but that was I last I heard after this on May 26th.

At this point based on the information provided so far and all the diagnostics and troubleshooting that has been done, I will have to escalate the case to our Level 3 engineers so they can look further into it. Once the case is escalated, they will be in touch with you for further instructions.

Without trying to inflame the situation, I am unsure why Sonos direct us to a process that does not seem to be producing solid communication or any results. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Since before and after the issue started, I have used all the same hardware. The only change has been Sonos firmware updates and all the issues started after 14.6 rolled out. I find it hard to believe they can’t replicate the issues.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That all sounds logical. Just don’t understand why some people have not got the issue. 

We would really need an extensive amount of time comparing settings on a working setup and a non-working one. 

They might not have noticed, simple. The escalation team from Sonos needs to be held accountable and they need to fix the problem now. Feel cheated to be honest!