Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Yea, to be honest, it’s been seemingly hundreds of years since I did any actual electrical engineering, and much of that was before the existence of CEC, so my understanding of the spec is probably rudimentary at best. 

The joy of the whole thing is that there doesn’t appear to be any “enforcement” function in the spec, so each manufacturer has modified it slightly (in my most humble opinion) to match their own needs….giving priority to their own hardware over someone else’s. So it wouldn’t particularly surprise me that a feature that works on one line of TVs may or may not function on a previous year’s, or different line of TVs. 

It’d be nice if we all played well together, but that doesn’t work for many companies, who want to maximize their own profit over being easy to use with a bunch of random other hardware. Yea, I’m cynical that way :)

Always happy to share my (tainted) views. Having previously worked for Sony (albeit in a games division), I’m always fascinated by the frisson between “we need to work with everyone” and “we need to have/own Betamax/DAT/MiniDisc/ATRAC/MemoryStick/UMD formats that are under our control, and no, you can’t use them without our express consent”. From a corporate perspective, I get the “our company needs to own the market place”, but from a user perspective, I much prefer the “I can use X from company Y, and Z from company AA, and they’ll work well together”. 

Shoot, look at how none of the various networked speaker companies, including Sonos, allow you to mix and match in their home theater products :)

Issue still persists

LG G3 oled + sonos beam gen 2

Cannot even switch off cec/simplink on my lg

Problem has been going on for years. ** terrible support for such a premium brand.

This is a reason to return my sonos set-up

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

New AirPod pros. 

lg65 lied & beam

disappointing. Disabling the CEC disables my harmony remote functions

SONOS!!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Well first... it's not switching from Bluetooth. The Beam is not a Bluetooth speaker, but I digress.

Chances are your TV or Cable box is still playing and the Beam is set to auto-play. So turn them off when listening to other audio, or check the Beam's room settings and disable auto-play.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

HDMI-CEC is called Simplink with LG. I don not own an LG (and have another solution for my headphones - a Connect Gen 2), so I have no experience with this myself, It should be somewhere in de connectivity settings on your TV.

My LG C9 TV works fine switching from Sonos to headphones/Optical/etc...

Just turn on eARC in additional settings

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

What I am asking is - is there any other solution otter then pulling the power or HDMI cable out of the Beam?

At this point I would say your TV manufacturer would be the best people to talk to. Seeing how it's automatically switching where it's sending audio to, they can verify if that's expected behavior from their product.

I did and it worked fine, but honestly for me its not the best “solution”. As you know eARC gives you better audio quality, and lets see an example: 

I use my headphone and if I would like to swith from headphones back to the soundbar its automatically turn on the simplink again, which means I have to do the same settings again if I would like to use my headphone ----- go to HDMI settings turn off simplink and after that, I will be able to change my audio output--- and it is so elaborate. Tried with LG soundbar and it is worked perfectly, nothing has had to be changed.

By the way thanks for your time and advice but I sent it back, that is not how it’s supposed to work. Nobody could say if this is an LG or Sonos software bug, because it is a bug 

Userlevel 7
Hi Badgercop

If you get no help from LG you might try a device like the one in the link. Connect it via the LG's optical out and switch audio to it in the LG's menu. When done switch it back to HDMI-ARC.

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-Simultaneously/dp/B07BQYYDNJ/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3EXMEAUGZ2AAD&keywords=bluetooth+transmitter+for+tv&qid=1556109842&s=gateway&sprefix=blue+tooth%2Caps%2C169&sr=8-19

Another option which does not require switching outputs; but is more expensive is to purchase a Sonos Connect. You would setup the Connect as a room then connect the BT transmitter to it via optical out. When you want to use your BT headphones you would group the Connect to the Beam. In the Sonos app you'd be able to adjust the audio of the Beam and the Connect separately (i.e. lower the Beam audio completely). Assuming your BT headphones have volume control you would adjust the level accordingly. You could actually leave the Connect and Beam grouped permanently.

Note: Make sure you purchase the Connect from a source that has a liberal return policy. You may have to make adjustments for audio delay. If it proves to be a non-workable solution just return the Connect.

Cheers!
Using a Connect to feed a BT transmitter, grouped with the Beam, would not be very satisfactory. In addition to the BT delay -- which can range from acceptable with aptX-LL to annoying with SBC -- you'd have the Sonos ~70ms delay.

The Amazon linked item would certainly work, but something such as this one would make more practical and economic sense. aptX-HD has too high a latency for TV and the additional range of the more expensive model would not be required. You might well be able to tuck the small transmitter away behind the TV, powered off the TV's USB socket.

By the way there should be no 'switching' involved as the TV optical output ought to be live all the time. Just mute the Beam when using the BT. The TV would also need to send PCM to the BT transmitter, not DD, but this setting should be separate from that which controls the ARC output.

Found a fairly simple fix to this issue on my Samsung QN50Q80AAF with the Sonos Arc. Basically a Samsung 50 inch QLED purchased in 2022. 

after hooking up and setting up the Sonos Arc, I too could not successfully switch to my Bluetooth receiver setup, which is how I listen with headphones. Turns out you can just got to Settings—>External Device Manager—>Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). You turn this feature off and it will no longer automatically switch to Sonos Arc constantly, but you also don’t have to turn off or disconnect Arc. Can connect to Bluetooth as usual.

when you want to turn Arc on again, you go back to the Anynet+ setting and turn it back on. Sonos Arc hooks back up.

I have Sonos connected to the HDMI 2 eArc output.

Perhaps would work on other Samsungs?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You can command the Beam with it: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3402?language=nl_NL

Same issue here: LG GX TV, Sonos Arc, Airpods Max. When connecting the Airpods Max via bluetooth to the GX TV, I get 2 secs of sound then the HDMI ARC connection takes over. The temporary solution I found was to toggle HDMI eARC off and then on in the TV sound settings.

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Guess we keep bugging Sonos for a fix… 

Every poster in this thread has listed the TV settings menu as being the source of the problem.  What in the wide world of sports makes you think the settings in the TV menu are something Sonos can fix? 

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

STOP telling people to open tickets with LG, Samsung, Sony. ETC. The common product is Sonos

I tested and can confirm the BOSE Sound Touch 300 works perfectly with my Samsung Q80 75in and Samsung buds. Then I swap back to Sonos ARC and it fails. Same cable, same TV same Buds same port.  

Sonos, you are a premium product. Why does Bose work? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue here (some 2+ YEARS later) with Sonos Arc on Samsung Q80R’s ARC HDMI connection. Change sound output to Bluetooth device and the Sonos Arc steals the sound back in a few seconds, if not immediately. VERY frustrating.

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this. There are lots of your customers who need to listen to their TV audio from more than just the Sonos device connected via HDMI cable. This is a game changer for me and I’m heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem, yet this gives me pause.

Same issue here (some 2+ YEARS later) with Sonos Arc on Samsung Q80R’s ARC HDMI connection. Change sound output to Bluetooth device and the Sonos Arc steals the sound back in a few seconds, if not immediately. VERY frustrating.

Come on Sonos, you can do better than this. There are lots of your customers who need to listen to their TV audio from more than just the Sonos device connected via HDMI cable. This is a game changer for me and I’m heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem, yet this gives me pause.

Maybe try first toggling off CEC (AnyNet+) on the TV, that usually allows a user to then switch inputs.

It’s not a ‘bug’ per se, it’s the way CEC was written. Neither LG nor Sonos own CEC, they just use the specification as an implementation point. But since the CEC control (computer) is in the TV set, and the Sonos is merely a client to that, I’d start the discussion with LG. 

Every poster here has listed disabling a feature of the TV so the broken CEC implementation on the Sonos will stop continuously grabbing the audio for itself. No other make of soundbar does this.

​​​​​​If a stretch of road is bad and every car needs the tires taken to half pressure for it then pumped up again afterwards you don't fix ALL the cars. You fix the road.

Which means switching off CEC - same if you use Bluetooth headphones or BT speaker with the TV - you need to switch it off when you’re done using it. There is nothing wrong with how Sonos works when using the audio return channel and CEC control… the TV settings cater for the switching between input/output already. So there is nothing that needs fixing here.

I have a LG C2 TV with Arc bought last week, and the same problem here. I am not able to turn off the simplelink while my Arc is connected via eARC port, its automatically switch back on. Its only works when disable eArc function on the TV an after I was able to turn off the HDMi-CEC function. For me it’s a big disappointment.

LG suggestion was to have the Arc connected via Optical port and will have no problem but for me it’s just meh… Atmos is not supported via optical port, but if I keep the Arc I have to accept that I wont be able to use for example Bluetooth headphone or etc.. nonsense :(. Actually it is related just with Lg C2 and Arc so its model related within a brand...

Hi all, 

unfortunately I am another very disappointed user of Sonos eco system having issues with Bluetooth earphones disconnecting from  LG OLED GX3 TV when the Sonos Beam is linked via ARC & HDMI-CEC. 

I would kindly like to ask Sonos Engineering team to sort this out by providing fix to Beam’s firmware. 

Regards,
Grzegorz

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Thank you. Anynet+ is Samsung speak for HDMI-CEC. The solution you found has been mentioned before.

I have the exact same issue. Very disappointed with Sonos. They could at least clealry communicate on this issue...

Hi there - 

Also, a very simple solution I discovered: make sure eARC is turned on. Was having the same issue with my LG/Sonos ARC after I unplugged and restarted some things. I noticed eARC was turned off and when I turned it back on, it stopped switching from Bluetooth to Soundbar.

Steps on LG TV: All Settings > Sound > Additional Settings > Turn on eARC at the bottom.

Then Sound Out > Bluetooth.

Should stick. Hopefully works for you too!

Same for me. Using Sonos Arc with Sub and One SL as a 5.1. Sony Headphones will only connect 2s before it switches back to ARC.

I am currently un/replugging the Arc every time I want to use the BT headphones - still better then disabling CEC all the time / missing the Remote control.

please do something about this Sonos.