Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

almost 2 years ago came across this problem ( LG 65 inch OLED + beam + airpods)

no resolution since then?

Unacceptable. 

Bad Sonos, bad.

Whether you were to switch off CEC control on Sonos, or deactivate ‘Simplink’ on the LG TV - it’s still means a user will have to interact with either the App, or the LG Settings to switch to Bluetooth audio output - As the LG TV already supports switching off ‘Simplink’, arguably, there isn’t anything that Sonos needs to fix here.

Hi. I have an LG C8 OLED TV and a Beam, connected Via HDMI Arc. I also have some Sony Bluetooth headphones. Whenever I try and play the TV audio via Bluetooth after 2 seconds it switches back to Arc. Is there anyway to prevent this? I have to pull the HDMI lead out of the Beam, but can it be disabled via the app or some other way? Thanks.

Just researched the same problem….best solution I found was to add the optical adapter to the HDMI cable and plug into the optical port on my TV (Samsung 7000) instead of the HDMI-CEC (ARC) port.  This is good and bad….good in that the TV will recognize when I put my bluetooth headset on (Bose Quietcomfort ear buds) and start playing through them automatically (and it fixes the problem you mention above)….bad because it requires a manual step to put it back to using the Beam...when I turn off my bluetooth headset, the sound begins to play through both my TV speakers and the Beam...have to use the settings in the TV and select the Optical source again to get it to just play through the Beam.  Oh and if you do this, not sure it would matter but be sure to turn off your HDMI-CED selection.

Hey, new to the forum. Recently purchased the Sonos Arc and ran into the same issue with my LG OLED C9 77 inch tv, with the HDMI Arc input being the only audio input I could play while using my sound bar unless I unplug the power cord or the HDMI cable. If I try using any other input it goes back to the HDMI Arc input immediately. One work around use could do is purchase an HDMI splitter. I listed the link below: 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JQ9XXV/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_xM-XFbTJ3V16Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

You'll be able to select the input you wanna use while leaving the HDMI cable in both the sound bar and tv as long as you select the splitter to the opposite input so it's not conflicting with your tv/sound bar. I hope this helps. 

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

What does the Securities Exchange Commission have to do with this?

Badge

Same issue with a BT headseat and Sonos Beam. Keeps switching back to the Beam after a few seconds. Needs a fix or very good and easy workaround.

Me too now..

CX OLED

Sonos BEAM

AirPods Pro.

Just kept switching back to eArc when trying to connect the AirPods.

Badge

Realise this thread is a bit old but came across it when I was searching for an answer to the same issue I am having and can confirm that the brand new Sonos Arc also has the exact same problem. Using Sonos Arc with LG C9 connected via eARC with CEC enabled and am now not able to use any other audio outputs. After selecting any of them, it jumps back to ARC after a couple of seconds.
Hope its a bug that gets resolved as currently the implementation of CEC on this flagship Sonos soundbar is quite disappointing.

hi, just bought  BT headphones the BT switching to sonos arc HDMI e-arc still happens on my lgc559pla TV.

Badge

cec blocker available uk amazon 

anyone had any luck using this on e-arc hdmi on their tv ?

Moderator edit: link removed at request of author

Ok this is a weird twist for you guys:

I’ve been enjoying my LG GX + Sonos surround (arc sub ones) during the day and just connect my Bose QC35 at night with no problem. For. Months. 

Well, until tonight.

I'm glad I found this thread but I’m sad there’s no answer! Again, it’s been working fine, no cec thing stealing and no disabling that on the tv options…

All I know is that tonight, I tried connecting my BT headphones while my show was already playing. It was a Netflix show in Dolby atmos.

oh gosh I’m sad and tired. I love the Sonos surround, but jeez.

edit: ok so turning eARC on and off made the problem disappear :) I’m back enjoying sound in my Bose and the Sonos surround is on. hope it helps someone!

Hi. I have a LG 65QNED90 and when I turn off “Simplink”, about 2 seconds later the TV automatically turn ON Simplink again. I have Sonos Arc conected to TV (eARC port).

You would be best to discuss this matter with the manufacturers customer support desk - maybe give them a call. I have their C9 TV and that switches off Simplink with no issue and it stays switched off allowing the audio output to be changed. It might be the case that the TV firmware needs an update, but perhaps see what LG say about the matter.

Etherial has a fixer that can simulate yanking the HDMI connection.

I looked up that product and it’s around $300! 

By the way the Kasa smart plug solution worked! Tried it out just now before bed. 

The Kasa smart plugs set is currently $26 for four of them on Amazon. I have several reserved for situations just like this. They’re also very convenient to have around in case you want to turn anything into a ‘smart’ item that turns on and off on a schedule or just from where you’re sitting/laying down.

This is not the automatic solution that you may have been looking for, but all you have to do is take out your phone and shut off the sonos with one button as soon as the Kasa app opens. 

Just a quick note you have to first turn off the Sonos speaker before you connect your bluetooth headphones. I had to delete the headphones from the TV for the first time for some reason, but after that it worked just fine. 

As I understand the other threads about this, the behaviour is confirming to HDMI-CEC standards. There’s nothing to fix. Certainly not by Sonos.

If this is a HDMI-CEC standard issue millions of people should have the same issue with other sound systems for years. This standard is over 10 years old. I highly doubt this is the case and there’s nothing Sonos could do about it.

I'm yet another with the same issue: LG CX65 with a Beam+Sub and Sony WH-1000XM4 Bluetooth headphones. I try to listen with headphones at night to avoid the sub waking up everyone within 50 miles, and the sound just switches back to the Beam immediately. Switching off CEC/Simplink is a stupid workaround, made even stupider by the fact that it switches itself back on the instant I do actually want to use the soundbar. 

As it looks like other soundbar makes do not have this issue with LG TVs, and Sonos soundbars with multiple TV brands do; it is surely down to Sonos. To those saying that it is a 'feature' of CEC, do you honestly think that the CEC standard states 'compliant devices must hijack audio output contrary to direct user choice'?

Sonos please sort this out.

Badge +1

Same issue - brand new Sonos Beam gen2 with 2 play:1 surrounds plugged into eArc on a 55” LG C1. Can’t seem to watch TV using the internal TV speaker, as it switches back to eArc audio after 2 seconds or so. 

Guess we keep bugging Sonos for a fix… 

I found an even better free solution.

I have the C2. There’s a remote with a mic. You can press the mic and say ‘Simplink off’, or enable voice recognition without touching anything.

If there’s no mic on your remote just turn off Simplink. 

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Bill H. Wow. And here I was explaining that:

1. this is within HDMI-CEC spec for the TV (so Sonos can’t do anything about it); and
  2. there is a work around (turning HDMI-CEC off temporarily).

As I understand it it is your TV that by HDMI-CEC specification sends the sound to a speaker connected via HDMI-ARC. There’s no need to unplug anything.

Wow, just found this thread. I have the same issue with a sonos arc and an LG E9.

Very disappointed that Sonos didn’t fix the issue years after, that’s very poor for supposedly high end product.

Nope. The ERC is automatically re-enabled by Sonos and only when Sonos arc  device is used in that port

Presumably it’s any device designed to connect to the TV ARC/eARC port that makes use of the CEC protocol. Usually (in most cases) it’s just a case of switching off CEC on the TV to then allow access to all other audio outputs.

@106rallye There’s no way/no setting that I can find (and I’ve looked VERY hard) to turn off SimpLink (a.k.a., HDMI-CEC) on the most recent firmware from LG (which is 05.00.03). I’m left with just one workaround (which itself is a kluge): unplugging either the Sonos Arc power cord or the HDMI cable to prevent the Sonos Arc from grabbing the sound output back from the sound output that I had selected/want to listen via (e.g., AirPods Pro).

This behavior doesn’t seem to be intended. An analogy might be wanting to watch CNN, but having the TV switch to FOX every time you choose CNN.

Others have said in this thread that other soundbars or external speaker systems do not have the same issue. Choose them via the TV, and the sound output comes from and remains from the selected output. Again the “choose this, but get that” behavior does not seem logical or particularly desirable.

Wow, just found this thread. I have the same issue with a sonos arc and an LG E9.

Very disappointed that Sonos didn’t fix the issue years after, that’s very poor for supposedly high end product.

You could just toggle ‘off’ ‘Simplink’ on the TV in your case - at least that’s all I have to do on my older C9. Then toggle it ‘on’ to restore connection to the HT on the HDMI-2 Arc/eARC port.

I can’t believe the Sonos Beam Gen 2 doesn’t have Bluetooth ability.  Wow, I just paid $500 for a soundbar that doesn’t even do what the cheap one it replaced did.  I was going to blast some Spotify tunes from my phone.  SO DISAPPOINTED!

Had the same issues here - Sonos beam (GEN1) connected to OLED LG G2 with HDMI ARC, well recognized by the TV.

1. When connecting Bluetooth device (e.g. Apple Airpods Pro), it switches back to BEAM after a couple of seconds. Same when selecting the TV speakers, it switches back to BEAM automatically.
    ==> could not find any better alternative/solution than to turn off the CEC/Simplink in the TV settings to prevent the BEAM from taking control over the other audio devices/tv speakers.
    Not optimal solution though (because it forces you to change some TV settings before switching from BEAM to bluetooth device), but I can live with it.
  1. When connecting other HDMI devices (e.g. satellite box) to the TV, it switched back to TV speakers. When selecting back again the BEAM as audio output, no sound coming out from the BEAM.
    Seems to be a conflict in HDMI ports, due to the CEC thing.
    I purchased a CEC less adapter on Amazon, connected it to the satellite box, and now it all works perfectly.

Obviously when buying these products (TV, soundbars, etc...) you don’t expect to encounter these kind of issues (I spent quite some time reading forums, also discussed over the phone with LG customer service, etc...), and you expect the manufacturers to solve this (be it TV manuf, Sound device manuf… I don’t care).
But in the end there are some workarounds that can be found.

Still, hope this helps for those who are still having issues.

Hi all, How about this method of switching Bluetooth?

Try switching between both when using Bluetooth sound, it's just a few steps, so ease your mind.

Go to Advanced Settings > Connections
Click on Device Settings Configuration
- Turn off the simple link
- Remove sonos in universal control

- Not used, but removed just in case

Reasons:

Turn off the convenience feature that sonos automatically activates

Click on sound

- Turn off eARC in additional settings

Reasons:

Simple Link will not start automatically the next time the power is turned on.

I use Air pod pro with lg OLE48cx and tried it with beam(gen2),thanks.

Hi all, How about this method of switching Bluetooth?

Try switching between both when using Bluetooth sound, it's just a few steps, so ease your mind.

Click on Device Settings Configuration
- Turn off the simple link
- Remove sonos in universal control

- Not used, but removed just in case

Reasons:

Turn off the convenience feature that sonos automatically activates

Click on sound

- Turn off eARC in additional settings

Reasons:

Simple Link will not start automatically the next time the power is turned on.

I use Air pod pro with lg OLE48cx and tried it with beam(gen2),thanks.

Supplementation.
If you wish to return to the sonos soundbar, please reverse this procedure.
When ARC is selected, Simple Link is automatically turned on.
This is probably because there are frequent problems with no sound if it is left off, so it is necessary to turn on the path so that there are no problems with manual connection in any home.
I am Japanese and not affiliated with LG or Sonos, but I would like to try the IKEA rear speakers from now on.

regards.