Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

212 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Without knowing about CEC protocols and how to adhere to them (there does seem to be a difference between Samsung and Sonos) we still do not know if, technically, there is a problem to fix.

For you the LG turning on Simplink automatically is an extra disadvantage.

I disabled HDMI-CEC function, or Anynet+ on my Samsung QLED settings so that my Sonos Arc is no longer the default speaker, and I could use my BT headphones. But in doing this, is there a way to use BT headphones AND get sound from the tv speakers at the same time? I want 2 people to be able to watch tv, with 1 getting sound from headphones, and the other from tv speakers. Or, is the answer, as some have indicated on this forum, to purchase a Sonos optical adapter and plug my Sonos Arc into the Optical port? Will that enable 1 to listen to BT headphones and the other to listen to Sonos simultaneously? Is there any downside to using the Optical for the Sonos speaker?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@Geniusiron @sridhg Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC (Anynet, Bravia Link, Simplink) for the time you are using your headphone?

@mafm How is this answer disrespectful? Giving you an extra work around and stating the disadvantages of that seesm good practice to me. There are technical reasons for this, it's your TV (not Sonos) that does this, and as I understand it this is conform HDMI-CEC spec, so an industry standard. To me it seems Sonos is not the one to change this…..

I found a solution for most streaming services at least :)

Won’t work for live TV though.

Buy a Roku, I have a Roku Ultra which is great when using the arc. All of the Rokus have the streaming services: Netflix, Disney, Apple TV etc.

Link your headphones to the Roku. When you want to use them switch them on,  and select. All done! Sonos  out of the frame

I have the same issue as the OP with a Samsung TV.

Seems like the Beam must be sending a constant signal over CEC to force the TV to switch back to it. I thought that CEC would only change the input when a device was first turned on.

Annoyingly this even happens when the Beam is set to output something other than TV. This makes for a poor user experience 😔

Same issue , sonos amp. Please sonos fix this problem.

@RBM1505 
As Danny mentions, whatever system you go with next, ensure it doesn’t use HDMI-ARC/eARC with CEC as you’ll certainly just end up with the same issue.

I also agree that powering off the Arc is not the answer - but I would certainly get in touch with the TV Support desk to make them aware that CEC is auto-enabling itself on the TV as ‘that’ is clearly a TV fault with the TV firmware.

I use an LG C9 TV and to switch from the HDMI-ARC/eARC output  to use Bluetooth output, I just toggle off ‘CEC’ (calked ‘Simplink’ on an LG TV) and it automatically disables auto-power-sync (used to power devices on/off) and clearly in the case of your TV that is not working as it should be. I would certainly make the TV manufacturer aware that has caused you an issue here and that it may arise in the future too if you have other CEC enable devices connected to the TV that ‘may’ go onto occasionally steal the output port focus when listening to the audio over a Bluetooth connected headset.

If you disable CEC on the TV - it should stay disabled.

Do you have eARC enabled? 

I have an LG C1. I can get CEC to remain off, I just have to turn off eARC in audio settings first. 

From looking around this doesn’t seem to be an issue with the q950a for example, nor the Bose systems. I will find out soon enough once this return is processed. 

The Q950a has HDMI inputs(source) and outputs to the TV.  It does have eARC, but I doubt many users are turning this on, as it would only be needed for TV internal apps.  And it would be a smaller subset of people who use eARC and bluetooth headphones...and the TV CEC doesn’t stay off.

I could use something like the Q950A + an Nvidia Shield and that would be cost neutral to the Sonos return. Plus I have a bit more functionality with the Shield. 

I tried to turn off auto power sync on the TV and it just re-enables itself - same issue as Simplink. The only option to get this current setup to work would be to either unplug the HDMI (PITA to faff about behind the TV daily) or smart plug which as you say is bad for the speakers. Due to lack of HDMI pass through on the Arc I am limited in work arounds. 

One other potential solution is to use an HD Fury Arcana, as that would bypass using the TVs eARC and CEC.  Arcana isn’t cheap though, and you would need an external source like a Shield.  So  I would understand if you just want to go with the Q950A for budget reason. 

Figuring out if this a fault with the LG or Sonos doesn’t really help me - this issue seems to have been going on for >2 years so I think a software update from either side is unlikely. The Sonos is within it’s return period but the LG is not, so the Sonos system has to go back. 

It clearly sounds like an LG issue, but LG has little motivation to fix audio related issues on their TVs.  And your return period does matter.

Might be worth reading the Wikipedia entry for CEC . Sonos doesn’t really control that system, they just implement the API as it is agreed upon/written by others. 

I have the exact same issue. Very disappointed with Sonos. They could at least clealry communicate on this issue...

Yeah same here. This is a ridiculous issue. My previous soundbar didn’t have this issue, and I am considering returning my Beam.

the solution is also not working in my C1, CEC is immediately turned back on automatically by the Beam.

any other solutions out there?

Hi All, BOSE 300 WORKS

I can confirm an Error with my Sonos Arc BUT works perfect with Bose soundtouch 300. Both tested on my Samsung Q80 75in

I used a friends Bose and it does not switch back to HDMI once I select tv speakers or Bluetooth Buds.

However, my Sonos Arc fails and does auto switch back to HDMI after 2 seconds when I select TV speaker or buds. I have videos to prove this.

Typical Tech giant answers = Samsung says it works with Bose so contact Sonos because this proves our TV sees a soundbar correctly. Sonos says call Samsung because there TV is choosing what port to push sound out. We don't control it.

Can anyone else please test or confirm if thier TV works with other soundbars after failing with Sonos and post back here.

Why does Samsung TV see a Bose 300? What are they doing different?

Can Samsung and Sonos please get together and resolve this issue. I'm sure it's a few lines of code because it's proved it works for 2 seconds already.

So frustrating to buy High-end goods and get pushed back and forth. 

Someone step up please.

+1

Beam & LG GX connected via HDMI. If i select another Audio Output like Bluetooth or TV speakers the audio is switching automatically back to the beam after a couple of seconds. 

#notsolved

Well first... it's not switching from Bluetooth. The Beam is not a Bluetooth speaker, but I digress.

Chances are your TV or Cable box is still playing and the Beam is set to auto-play. So turn them off when listening to other audio, or check the Beam's room settings and disable auto-play.

Sorry you didn’t understand what I wrote.

I know the Beam isn’t a Bluetooth device, I didn’t say it was. I said I’m trying to play my TV audio via Bluetooth to my Bluetooth headphones. I can’t turn the TV off, because I’m using it with my Bluetooth headphones.

Perhaps I should just start again...

My TV is connected to the Beam via Arc. I’m trying to use my Bluetooth headphone with the TV (late at night, so I don’t disturb the household). When I go into the the TV’s menu and chose Bluetooth as the audio output it plays audio via the headphones for 2 seconds before it automatically switches back to the Beam. This is because the Beam is ‘always on’ (unlike other amps I have used).

What I am asking is - is there any other solution other then pulling the power or HDMI cable out of the Beam? (I know one solution is to change to optical, but I want to stick with Arc is possible).

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  Could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Turning off the Sonos Arc soundbar with the smart switch, the LG automatically switches back.   You can navigate back if needed to your Bluetooth option.

Sure, but switching inputs is a single CEC command right? So Sonos must keep sending that command. Either that or Samsung is switching input based on some other CEC feature. 

It’s a ‘feature’ of the HDMI-CEC spec. Connect your Beam via optical, or your headphones, and there won’t be that conflict. 

Optical option you will lose many other features of HDMI Arc including the Dolby Atmos feed (for Sonos Arc)

My solution

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.  I control the smart switch via Apple Home but could be Alexa or Google controlled too.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  I could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical while the Sonos Arc was powered because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Turning off the Sonos Arc soundbar with the smart switch, the LG automatically switches back.   You can navigate back if needed to your Bluetooth option.

@Geniusiron @sridhg Have you tried turning off HDMI-CEC (Anynet, Bravia Link, Simplink) for the time you are using your headphone?

@mafm How is this answer disrespectful? Giving you an extra work around and stating the disadvantages of that seesm good practice to me. There are technical reasons for this, it's your TV (not Sonos) that does this, and as I understand it this is conform HDMI-CEC spec, so an industry standard. To me it seems Sonos is not the one to change this…..

I will happily try this. Any ideas how I do this on an LG? I’d read earlier on this thread that LG’s switch straight back when HDMI-CEC is turned off too. 

🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s been a while since I read the full CEC spec, but I think, if I remember correctly, its not a turn on/off signal, it’s a “is a client present” or “is a client not present”, matching what you initially suggested in your post.

Which is why, if you read a bunch of the threads about this, folks suggest turning off CEC on the TV set, so it’s no longer looking for the client’s existence, particularly for folks who are trying to add a set of headphones. But it’s the CEC controller, i.e. the TV set, in charge, as opposed to any particular client, such as Sonos.

i have the same issue with LG CX and sonos arc.

I have to go to TV sound menu and toggle the eARC switch off then on.  Then the bluetooth headphones will connect 100%.  Its an annoyance to have to go through this but proves its a software problem that can be fixed.  It’s a SONOS problem if folks with multiple TV brands are experiencing it.  

SONOS, are you listening?  I see replies on other forums but not this one.

I love the soundbar so much I bought your stock.  Hello?

Hi folks, thanks for reaching out with the Sonos Community! I understand that we all want to keep the Sonos Arc/Beam and headphones connected to our TV at the same time and that kind of behavior is based on your TV on how the HDMI connections work because you are connecting two output devices to your TV. As others suggested this is more and can be handled appropriately by the TV manufacturers. You can try optical for better options but it will still up to you on how to proceed. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.

If you do this you lose the atmos function of the sound bar.

My solution

I bought a smart plug and use it to shut off my Sonos Arc when I don’t want to use it.  I control the smart switch via Apple Home but could be Alexa or Google controlled too.

I have a hearing  aid transmitter connected to Optical output on the TV and had the same problem you had.  I could not switch settings on Sound to TV speakers and Optical while the Sonos Arc was powered because it would continually switch back to HDMI/ARC after a couple of seconds.  

Why not choose to just switch off Simplink on the LG TV, rather than powering off/on your Arc? Would that not have been easier, particularly as you have to goto the TV settings anyway to switch to Bluetooth or TV/Optical audio-out.

Unfortunately I have this same issue. Every time my girlfriend watches TV with headphones we need to disconnect the ARC in order for the LG CX to connect to the headphone. Could SONOS please look for a solution?

Thank you.

Userlevel 1

Hi All,

Same issue here for me - recently purchase a brand new LG G1 65’ with a Sonos ARC + Sub Gen 3. 

Trying to set the G1 to use a pair of wireless headphones using Bluetooth whilst the ARC is connected using eARC.

The ARC keeps forcing the audio out connection back to itself. The Bluetooth connection to the headphones disconnects after about 1-2 seconds when it reverts back to the Sonos ARC as the audio output device.

I understand that this is how HMDI-CEC is meant to work but have tried everything to stop this behaviour, even setting the TV to optical out but the ARC just keeps taking over.

Things I’ve tried:

1. Disable QuickStart+
2. Disable eArc Support
3. Change Audio Output to Optical
4. Disable HDMI-CEC (reverts back to Simplink On after a few seconds)

Basically no way to connect headphones whilst power is on to the ARC and connected to the TV over eARC. Really annoying problem….

I reached out/logged a ticket via Online chat this morning but was also advised that there isnt a solution to this problem and to try contact LG. I have opened a case with LG but I dare say this is a problem with Sonos looking through this thread.

Please fix this :( its not unrealistic for people to want to watch TV with headphones at night…...

Interesting, thanks for the response!

I did find this page (https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01111222/#turn-off-automatic-hdmi-switching-with-smart-remote) which suggests it's possible to turn off the automatic switching without turning off CEC, but it had no effect on my TV. 

Hi all, 

I bought a pair of Sony xm4 headphones yesterday and suffered the same issue, which had me thinking overnight. 

I think I have sussed out a work around to stop whichever Sonos sound bar cutting in, after a couple of seconds of Bluetooth headphone sound. Forgive me if this is elsewhere on the forum and I am repeating something that has long since been known. I just haven't read all of the stuff that's been posted but clearly from what I have read, it has remained an issue for some, as until this morning it was for me. 

Firstly, I own a ‘18 LG 65 wallpaper TV with which I found that switching off the Simplink hdmi cec toggle in All settings/general, then selecting Bluetooth device in the usual way the headset should connect and remain so. To revert to the soundbar turn Simplink back on. 

However and secondly, this did not work with my ‘21 LG 77 C1 set. I remembered from the initial TV set up, that there was a eArc toggle buried in settings and this turned out to be the key. 

Therefore;

All settings (3 vertical dots)/General/devices/hdmi setting, then toggle Simplink HDMI CEC to off. Then still in All Settings go to Sound/Advanced, scroll down to eArc and toggle off. 

Come out of ‘all settings’ then change sound source to Bluetooth and connect device in normal way. When you want to revert, first turn Simplink back on  and then toggle eArc to 'on’ (it won't work the other way around because eArc is greyed out. 

This is far from ideal and still requires some fannying about with settings but at least it's better than physically disconnecting power or hdmi cables which in my case and no doubt many, can be very awkward and in any case, I understand that  hdmi is not supposed to be routinely plugged in and out.

I haven't lived with doing this yet and it maybe that Simplink turns itself back on when the TV is turned on and off (the eArc will not btw) but hope this helps someone out. 

I've not been able to get any Bluetooth headphones to work with my LG C8 for ages and I kept thinking it was the headphones. It was only until I recently bought a pukka pair of cans that I realised its the Sonos! To get round it I've used the optical to hdmi adapter so the Stuipdos doesn't use hdmi anymore. Now I can swap between both outputs easily. The only downside is that I can only control the volume on the sound bar from the Sonos app.