Answered

Beam: Keeps switching back to ARC from Bluetooth - how to stop?

Show first post

213 replies

Same for me. Using Sonos Arc with Sub and One SL as a 5.1. Sony Headphones will only connect 2s before it switches back to ARC.

I am currently un/replugging the Arc every time I want to use the BT headphones - still better then disabling CEC all the time / missing the Remote control.

please do something about this Sonos. 

Truly unbelievable that Sonos know about this issue. Know that its their issue as other manufacturers don't have it. AND DON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. If it was made clear or better publicised im sure many people would make different purchasing choices.

Lets see what happens when Sonos release their own much rumoured  headphones. If theirs connect to TV's without all the continuous setting changes or unplugging and other brands dont I think their end up in court. In the meantime I'm going to post this issue far and wide so others can make an informed choice of what TV audio to buy.

Badge +1

Thanks for all the replies. 

Seems like CEC needs to an update to read what audio output the TV is set to. Something LG / Sonos and whoever oversees the CEC protocol need to work together on. It’s supposed to be a “smart” solution, so its understandable why users don’t like the way it works in its current form.

Before EArc/ Soundbars / Sonos etc, most enthusiasts had their home theatre systems running through AV receivers, which although bulky allowed the user to easily switch inputs to pick and choose what goes through the speakers. Intuitively, it seems like the newer systems should work in a familiar way.

Anyway - solved the problem by plugging the Sonos beam into one of these -
https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-white-grid-connect-smart-plug-in-socket-with-energy-meter_p0273367

We just use Google home to cut the power to the Sonos Beam if we want to force it to use the TV speakers or the TVs bluetooth audio output.

Unfortunately got the same issue with a Sonos Beam setup and bluetooth headphones. Switching off HDMI-CEC seems like a work-around, but it still extremely annoying this doesn’t work otherwise.

Badge

Think I understand the issue now. I was disabling HDMI Simplink, but I still had eARC enabled in the sound settings - it evidently re-activates it if eARC support is enabled.

With eARC disabled, Simplink stays off. 

Indeed this is right👍

Hi,

I opened a ticket at LG. This is the feedback I received (translated via google from german to english):

My request:

Ladies and Gentlemen

I recently purchased an LG TV "OLED65C39LC". I use Simplink and have connected the TV to a Sonos ARC. Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to change the audio settings so that you can either use the TV's speakers or use a headset connected to the TV via Bluetooth.

I would like to continue to use the CEC function in conjunction with a Sonos ARC, as I normally use the Sonos ARC for audio output. In the evening, however, I would prefer to use a headset that is connected to the LG TV via Bluetooth.

Problem: Every time I switch to audio output “headset”, the TV resets the settings back to HDMI ARC (Sonos ARC) after 2-3 seconds. The problem has already been described by people in various forums and has existed for more than 3 years. I find it disappointing that a product like the OLED65C39LC also has this problem - even considering the very high price.

Deactivating the Simplink function is not a solution either! I don't understand why LG hasn't implemented the feature so that the audio settings that you set manually don't remain permanently configured.

I hope that LG finds a solution here and offers it to us customers.

The Feedback:

Dear Mr. x,

Thank you very much for contacting LG Electronics Deutschland GmbH.
- Due to the CEC control, the HDMI-ARC connection is always prioritized and functions normally. I can't offer any solution other than interrupting HDMI.

A direct reply to this email is not possible. If you would like to contact us again, please open a new ticket using the contact form. If you have any further questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Best regards

x

A workaround using fiber is no option for me because the Sonos ARC does not support fiber :-(

I can confirm it’s a Sonos issue.

Downstairs: Sonos Beam / Samsung The Frame ”65 / Bose 700 HP = problem

Upstairs: Harman Kardon Citation / Samsung The Frame ”55 / Bose 700 HP = No problem

Fix would be nice so you don’t have to manually turn E-ARC off.. every.. time.. and.. back.. on.. every.. time.. 

@Ken_Griffiths

Hi, i definitely not the only one with an LG that can't switch off simplink while the beam is connected through arc. .If you read through the whole thread,, many people mentioned it already. If you swifch simplink off, it automatically switches back on within seconds.That is when the beam is connected.

Which workaround using fiber are you speaking of? I thought the workaround was using optical for the connection between the TV and the Sonos Arc? The Arc ships with an optical to ARC adapter, as far as I know.

All TV’s work with BOSE’ and not Sonos. That hurts. 

Case closed. You have a clear choice now. 

Sonos sells well 2nd hand on ebay. 

Hello 

LG CX, Sonos ARC, airpod pro/xbox wireless headset.Same thing for me ! GRRRR

The unique solution is to disable simplink and we loose the possibility to control the arc with the remote …. So it’s not a solution !

Please Sonos do something ! It’s a basic option to be able to choose easely the source of the sound ! 

:(

Thanks  only thing which makes me think is that Bose as far as I know doesn't have amplifiers and I have a bunch of external speakers. Without this I would have switched long ago

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You only temporarily disable it...

You only temporarily disable it...

Yeah Superbe ! And I have to go to settings, device connection etc… each time I want to use a bluetooth headset ... Very very friendly :thinking:  And I have to explain that to all the member of the family ...

Seriously … 

The most simple solution I found is to put a switch on the AC in the wall and when I want to use a headset, I cut the power of the arc… On a 900$ soundbar, not very 2021...

If I switch off Simplink, the TV seems to re-enable it anyway, so even that isn’t a solution for me. I need to unplug the Arc altogether.

I like the smart plug idea further up the thread - thanks for that. That’s at least a semi-nice solution. 

If I switch off Simplink, the TV seems to re-enable it anyway, so even that isn’t a solution for me. I need to unplug the Arc altogether.

I like the smart plug idea further up the thread - thanks for that. That’s at least a semi-nice solution. 

That’s strange, I have two LG TV’s here and if I toggle off Simplink to use Bluetooth - it stays off with either a Beam or the Arc attached?

Hello there. It’s funny that when I’ve read the thread and it was 3yo when started I was sure that by the end of the thread an anew solution would come oute.(maybe it’s like the build in Alexa they have and it’s like only for 5countries?😀

Overall their products are very good I have to say that!

I used to have 1 beam and 2 ones while now I bought a new tv (QNED 86inch 866).

I did what TD2014 said(as the latest solution but nothing happened ofc)

I am testing it with Airpods Pro2.

is there any solution this could fixed with Apple TV?(highly doubt it but HAD TO ASK😂)

I guess I won’t be able to watch movie or play PS while my newborn is sleeping.

I can live with that but would be so good if i could

It’s a ‘feature’ of the HDMI-CEC spec. Connect your Beam via optical, or your headphones, and there won’t be that conflict. 

Hello, I think I solved the problem, I went into the sound options and select E-ARC mode, and  my Bluetooth headset was working well after that without having to unplug the hdmi arc!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Same issue with the LG C9 and a Samsung QLED.

With the Samsung it's even worse since very often when switching source (from cable TV to PS4 to some TV app like Netflix) the sound is completely lost, and I either have to change output to TV speakers (which jumps back immediately to the beam gen 2 and sometimes fixes it), or completely turn off and on the TV and sometimes this also works.

Extremely random and very disappointing for such a premium product.

It's unacceptable that I have to play around with the output settings every time I switch source because the Sonos beam goes silent on certain sources randomly.

I have the same problem, brand new LG 65CX OLED with Sony Bluetooth headset, everything was working well before I add my new Sonos ARC plugged with ARC-HDMI. As soon as I put it on my Bluetooth headset it automatically switch back on HDMI ARC… really frustrating. I have to unplugged HDMI ARC each time I use my Bluetooth headset… that’s not normal 

I don’t wan’t to plug the Sonos with IR connection because the sound of my tv won’t be automatically Controlled. 

is there anything to do?

Because people have reported not experiencing the same issues with non-Sonos products, i.e. Bose soundbars.

So what?  People have reported it working fine with other brands of TV's too.  That tells us nothing.

Appreciate the feedback.

Though switching off cec should also not be necessary in my opinion. Probably will tryout a Samsung audio set-up and if that sounds satisfactory without problems switching to headphones (and no cec workarounds) , I'll probably move away from sonos (for Tv at least, already have a 2.1 sonos for many years for music which i'll keep) 

In very simple setups HDMI-CEC can work well, however, in more complicated setups it is a hazard. You can get into a situation where the order of commands is important. For example if one turns OFF the TV, then turns OFF the Blue-ray player, the TV is likely to turn ON again and switch to the cable box. This can create interesting dramas if one partner is sleeping and the other had been watching a disc. This becomes worse if the viewing partner falls asleep without properly shutting down the system. Eventually, most Blu-ray players will automatically turn OFF after a disc ends and there are no further commands. Another drama unfolds if the cable company updates their firmware in the middle of the night because the TV might turn ON after the update is complete.

Overall, Airgetlam’s solution of using an optical connection for Bluetooth is the most practical, but I can imagine misadventures here too. Eventually there will be cost effective add-on control systems that can manage CEC, but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for these.