Android and Trueplay

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

176 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @ihavoc, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos Community.

While it may not be specified on the Arc page that an iOS device is required for Trueplay, you can find here a list of Trueplay compatible devices, and it’s also stated on the main TruePlay page that an iOS device is required - that being said I’ll be happy to pass on your feedback to make it a little more obvious.

Regarding the different models of each iPhone line having different microphones - while this is true, the number of different models of phone running Android operating systems is on a different scale (a quick Google search showed 24,000 different models in 2015), with potentially thousands of different models of microphone installed, and different combinations of microphone, OS, and other hardware components. While we would love to bring Trueplay support to all Sonos systems, accounting for that level of variability in a process which requires precise measurements like Trueplay is unfortunately not feasible.

I do agree though that bringing Trueplay to non-iOS households (like my own) would be a great improvement, and hopefully it’s something that will be possible in the future.

I’m also somewhat sensitive to the whole “I read about it in the forums, it must be happening” phenomenon…. :) 

I don’t mind speculation, I just worry when neophytes don’t understand that it’s merely thought, and not a promise that Sonos is doing something. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have a really nice iPod 4, only used to tune my Sonos about a dozen times. Now too old.

I have a used iPad for now but that will be my last Apple device, I’ll just give up on Trueplay when it is obsoleted.

Hi everyone. Trying to skip over if it is right or not for Sonos to not have trueplay for Android. I did just get my first Sonos product which is an ARC. We have no Apple devices in our house but I am hoping to ask a neighbor to borrow theirs to do the one time trueplay tuning. That being said, what minimum iPhone should they have, and what would they need to do on their end before letting me borrow the phone? I am assuming that they need to download the Sonos App, then I just need to log into my account and find the trueplay setting in the app. Is that correct? Anything else?

It's very basic and convenient software that's been available on most home receivers for the past decade. 

Software is not the issue. These receivers are using a microphone of known characteristics. With Android devices, each model phone will have different microphone characteristics and these characteristics change during production. In order to achieve reliable results, SONOS would need to test each production run of Android phones and develop a database of microphone characteristics by phone serial number. Given the number of Android production runs, past and present, this is not a practical project.

Would you be willing to submit your Android to a service facility and have it’s microphone calibrated?

Most of what you’re asking is covered in the FAQ

Yes, you’d just need to download the app on their device, log in to your Sonos account, and do the process. Once it’s there, it sticks on the speakers memory, like most everything else, and you can turn it on or off using your Android device. 

In addition to the raw microphone characteristics, case construction is in the mix. Also, how long do we need to wait before we know what the best selling Androids will be in a given year? Although this is not a scientific sample, my techie friends all have Androids, but a majority of people I encounter who own SONOS systems, use iPhones.

The SONOS database knows the iOS/Android ratio and may be aware of model numbers, but is unlikely to be able to track variations during production runs. SONOS would need to accumulate at least a year’s worth of data before deciding which Android models warrant further research. Then SONOS would need to sample units from different production runs in order to decide if it would be practical to develop a profile for that model. Regardless, millions of users who don’t own that model would be disappointed and grumbling that SONOS ignored the “best” Android.

Although this is not a scientific sample, my techie friends all have Androids, but a majority of people I encounter who own SONOS systems, use iPhones.

Digressing a little: I can completely understand the latter part quoted, but I also find it ironic/funny that there are some vocal fans of Sonos here who are also Apple haters, largely because - hold your breath - Apple is a closed system...:rofl:

Thank you @Airgetlam seems simple enough. Not ideal but certainly not horrible since you only have to do it once.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Why not check the Sonos website (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3222) before wildly borrowing and ordering iOS devices?

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

@buzz the suggestion is for a specific usb microphone so your point about different mics in android devices is irrelevant in that case. Sonos can hand pick the pic from another manufacturer, maybe one they are already partnered with, or manufacturer their own. That “dedicated” mic may well have a much better frequency response than an iOS device mic so the tuning process would be more accurate. It may even be an option iOS owners would be inclined to purchase if the results were more successful.

It’s technically feasible, assuming the mic is the only constraint at play. It’s down to Sonos if they feel their ROI would be met by mic purchases and/or making the Sonos experience more consistent for their customers. I would imagine the latter was their reason for developing Truplay to start with.

I wonder has anyone ever encountered differing tuning results from different iOS devices. 

I bought the Arc, 2 One SLs as surrounds and a One (gen2) in another room knowing that I would not be able to use Trueplay on my Android.    This was with the expectation that this would eventually be resolved. 

I work with software development with a focus on firmware and I know how hard it can be to align firmware(speakers) with web and app APIs.  I am curious if there is a technical reason why it is not yet supported or whether there is an exclusive agreement as you see with game companies and consoles.

So once again if there is a technical issue, is this Sonos waiting on a future change to Android, difficulties integrating with Android for some existing issue or lack of development resources? 

I do not have any friends with Apple devices since they are expensive and most people don’t just have one Appple device, they need to convert all (most) existing devices to get the best results.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As explained on many occasions the main reason for this is there are a lot of different microphones used in different Android phones. Since there are a lot less iPhone models, there’s a lot less difference in micorphones.

I have read the thread on no Android integration for Trueplay, but I would hope spending 1500 on a system there would be a better solution than "borrow an iOS device from a friend"!  Especially after3+ years!!!  First thought, if it is a microphone issue, then standardize your system with 1 mic to calibrate your system with.  Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer etc ALL provide a setup mic with their systems.  Microphones among iOS devices also differ, they are different from year to year and model to model.  So that verbage doesn't add up or holdmuch water.   Second, before the android bashing begins, I bet the cost of my system if the table was turned and it only worked on android and not iOS devices, there would be a loud outcry of Apple users, especially if told to go "borrow" an android from a friend.  Not that this will change anything but I got to express my opinion.  I'm the proud owner of a top-of-the-line Sonos system that is"Meh" at best.

Wish I would have bought Bose!!!

I have read the thread on no Android integration for Trueplay, but I would hope spending 1500 on a system there would be a better solution than "borrow an iOS device from a friend"!  Especially after3+ years!!!  First thought, if it is a microphone issue, then standardize your system with 1 mic to calibrate your system with.  Yamaha, Marantz, Denon, Pioneer etc ALL provide a setup mic with their systems.  Microphones among iOS devices also differ, they are different from year to year and model to model.  So that verbage doesn't add up or holdmuch water.   Second, before the android bashing begins, I bet the cost of my system if the table was turned and it only worked on android and not iOS devices, there would be a loud outcry of Apple users, especially if told to go "borrow" an android from a friend.  Not that this will change anything but I got to express my opinion.  I'm the proud owner of a top-of-the-line Sonos system that is"Meh" at best.

Strongly agree and applaud you on your honest and fair assessment of the Sonos product.

I included it with other links to opinions that expose the drama and pretentiousness of the product, to some guys that asked me about my system.

I know two of the guys are not as bullish on Sonos anymore after hearing the experience I was listening to.

Now I have to figure out why a One SL doesn't like being connected to the Ethernet.

I doubt any Sonos product will last as long as my legacy audio/video, including my SelectaVision video disc player and Yamaha YPD-6 turntable (from a 1978 purchase).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Thorium Prime Or you could just borrow an iOS device from a friend or relative for 10 minutes. You only need to perform Trueplay tuning once.

Yes, or until I rearrange something. :) Truth to be told, I have some  other audio hardware that needs an iOS device, and my borrowed (stolen from my kids) iPad 3 is getting a bit long in the tooth. Time to upgrade to a 6th generation I think…  

I don't know how better to explain it  but my Sonos system is playing the same file.

Using the Sonos app, I was listening to an audio file off my server on a pair of One SLs in my bedroom, at a volume setting with a numerical value of 13 (but I am now using 33 at this time).

The bedroom and basement pair of One SLs and the 5.1 system were all setup using Trueplay on my iPhone 6.

I introduced another pair of One SLs (1from the garage & 1 from the sunroom) but was not able to setup Trueplay because the operating system is not longer supported on my iPhone 6.

Over time, I noticed there was  sound degradation from the apps I was using inside the Sonos app.

I also started to notice, when I would switch between running the complete system as one or separate rooms and then back to whole system, at different times, the bedroom & the basement pairs did not sound as brilliant and bright, from room to room.

I did a Google search and and found out that the Maserati of Wi-Fi Speakers requires that I go to their approved third party to tune my system if I wanted to get my sound back to the way it was, apparently.

I'd be pissed too if someone ripped off my proprietary intellectual property but the drama created by product vendor that can alter and control their purchased product and be able to render that product no longer unsupported goes right back to my original point that the Sonos products that I am listening to today will not be a functional device in 20 years (without modification of the vendor's no longer supported settings), the same way my 40 yo legacy equipment works now.

It would be possible to include a calibrated microphone with a SONOS product. Unfortunately, there is a small universe of connector types and phone users would be annoyed if the connector did not match MY phone. Of course, a calibrated microphone could be plugged into a SONOS product that does not include a built-in microphone, but older SONOS products do not include a connector that could be used for a microphone.

Trueplay is an interesting technique because it can characterize the room environment better than a microphone sitting at a fixed point.

With the current Trueplay approach it is unlikely that the user will misplace the phone. For many users this is a big advantage.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

A static microphone is never going to be equivalent to the current method/technique. If it’s sub-standard to the current method in terms of results it’s not worth it as I doubt many will use it.

It needs to be movable in the same way the phone is. USB-C is the standard on all phones now, even iPhones, so I would guess any future prospect needs to align to that. Or Bluetooth but I can imagine all sorts of curveballs with BT.

I also think including it with the product is wrong as that inflates the price for those who don’t want, or would never use it. I’ve no problem paying for the privilege. Others may have a problem and for those they can use/borrow an iOS device.

Agree on the old iPhone, I have one myself.

I call BS on the “variability/variation argument”, especially with modern mems microphone packages. All manufacturers would have variations across batches (including Apple).

Wherever the “umpteen variations of mic supply” statement comes from, doesn’t mean it still holds true today and is true for all Android manufacturers. I would be very surprised if the Google Pixel 6 flagship had any more mic variability than an iPhone (my opinion). So if your “fact” is from 2015, might be time for them to re-check 7 years later.

Whatever the real reason (technical/marketing/legal), I don’t think we will see TruePlay on Android any time soon.

Thing is, if Sonos had never invented Trueplay and added it as a free upgrade on iOS a few years back, you would probably be delighted with your new Sonos product.  Trueplay sometimes makes little or no difference - it depends on the room.  I haven’t got round to tuning my Arc yet, but love the sound.

Shame you won’t be buying more Sonos - you will miss out on so much.

I call BS on the “variability/variation argument”, especially with modern mems microphone packages.

An assertion that could be just as accurate as the earlier theory that the issue was related to legal cases.

Just ask yourself this: why would Sonos not implement Trueplay on Android if it was as straightforward as with (approved) iDevices? 

Well that’s an easy one, bad blood between them, potential $50M USD in yearly royalties, moving engineering teams to support Alexa instead instead of Google, not wanting to set a legal precedent of supporting Google products during a case (and appeals).

You have made an assumption that the exact same reason has held true since 2015 as to why they haven’t released it.

And you appear to have made a series of completely unfounded assumptions as well. 

Your profile is empty of Sonos products. You joined today, apparently to pick a fight. There’s a word for such antics. I refuse to feed this any further.

I call BS on the “variability/variation argument”, especially with modern mems microphone packages.

An assertion that could be just as accurate as the earlier theory that the issue was related to legal cases.

Just ask yourself this: why would Sonos not implement Trueplay on Android if it was as straightforward as with (approved) iDevices? 

Well that’s an easy one, bad blood between them, potential $50M USD in yearly royalties, moving engineering teams to support Alexa instead instead of Google, not wanting to set a legal precedent of supporting Google products during a case (and appeals).

You have made an assumption that the exact same reason has held true since 2015 as to why they haven’t released it.

And you appear to have made a series of completely unfounded assumptions as well. 

Your profile is empty of Sonos products. You joined today, apparently to pick a fight. There’s a word for such antics. I decline to feed this any further.

This is all rationale discussion, no one is fighting. I don’t agree with all of your statements and you don’t agree with mine, we are still forum pals right?

I do own Sonus products (6 of them in fact with receipts if you want to see them), I don’t need Sonus products in a profile to actually own Sonus products. This is how “facts” get distorted.

This is all rationale discussion, no one is fighting. I don’t agree with all of your statements and you don’t agree with mine, we are still forum pals right?

I do own Sonus products (6 of them in fact with receipts if you want to see them), I don’t need Sonus products in a profile to actually own Sonus products. This is how “facts” get distorted.

It’s ‘Sonos’, S-O-N-O-S.  How can we take you seriously when you can’t even get the name correct? 

And unless you have two accounts, one to register your products and one to post here (a highly unlikely occurrence), you most certainly would need products in your profile in order to own Sonos products.  Yet another clue to your purpose here. 

I use two sonos five on stereo as test system befor going further with sonos or not. 

After first setup the "standard sound" is disappointing to say it nice. I thought about sending both back. Accidentally a friend dropped and i used her iPhone for this true play stuff and then the sound is, well, ok.

But the system is designated for our cottage where nobody has a iPhone. Again the sound is not bad but far beyond to be good. As long as no iPhone addict drops in Sonos is good as a radio background player. 

Before, i had several other Sonos products on the list but didn't buy any, because of this annoying fact.

​​​