Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Too many workarounds to make this place usable. And still no text in the body of the message. Come on guys... enable the option... its a two second fix. If it doesn't have the option, then the sales rep for this software took you for a ride.
Is there any benefit from this platform compared to the one forum was on? Not counting the avatar/likes and other bells and whistles. There has got to be at least one substantive way how this platform serves the target user better than the old one - which is that? It can't be all negative surely - more than one would be nice of course.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Is there any benefit from this platform compared to the one forum was on? Not counting the avatar/likes and other bells and whistles. There has got to be at least one substantive way how this platform serves the target user better than the old one - which is that? It can't be all negative surely - more than one would be nice of course.

I struggle to see any. Apart from the fluffy stuff about profiles etc but Id trade that for decent functionality that is used regularly !

I also wonder about the whole Question and Answer thing. Based on this explanation https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/how-the-ask-a-question-forum-works-6730730 you would expect very few unanswered questions but I see some going back 2 years ! Can Sonos sent on 'Answered' or only the author ? Why havent all the answered questions already been moved to other sections ?

I struggle to see any. Apart from the fluffy stuff about profiles etc but Id trade that for decent functionality that is used regularly !

I don't count the fluff. Let's see if someone can point to some functional advantages that have come about.
I don't get this ever on my android phone. And I just checked - not on my mac/safari either. It does not appear to be a general problem.
I do, just got the error again. That's using Firefox on a Mac. Did a reload and then it goes to the right page.
Did you guys look at Discourse (http://www.discourse.org) at all? I've been using it over at BoingBoing and it feels like a better platform.

Just had a /very/ quick look - still seems to have a lot of the kiddy facilities that put me off. Looks better than this, though.

If you mean badges etc it looks like they can be customised, as can much of its behaviour:
Encourage positive community behaviors through the included set of badges, or add your own custom badges.
I'm using the mobile version at the moment and cannot quote. Hermie, I saw this message once on day one. You may have a stale entry in a cache somewhere, but I can't explain why you have this issue in multiple browsers. I usually use Firefox on a desktop and I keep Firefox locked down as far as cookies, pop-ups, and tracking are concerned. Sometimes this lock down causes troubles, but I haven't noticed any while using this community.
Hermie,

I just had a wild thought. Perhaps your router caches DNS entries and there is a stale entry.
It is hit or miss, buzz. Mostly miss. I've cleared all that and even used it on a WIFI system away from my home system and it still happens. The redirect that the link in the email is supposed to trigger doesn't work most of the time. It is a software problem... not a browser problem.
FWIW, posting replies using my S4 is not much fun. After a Submit I can't use the page until I refresh.
I found one functional benefit - one can post a problem here with a diagnostic number and get Sonos to look at it for troubleshooting actions.
I found one functional benefit - one can post a problem here with a diagnostic number and get Sonos to look at it for troubleshooting actions.
As one has always been able to do via the Send an email link off the main support page.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
With the old forums, I would usually stop by once a day, not because I needed help, but because I just enjoyed reading many of the conversations. These new forms are not enjoyable. I am now another who will probably only visit the forums when I need help on a specific issue.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
The other thing I dislike here is that you have to scroll down to the bottom of the page before you can page forward. Also no ability to go to a specific post number or page. User interface is very poor.
Looks like you can go to a specific page in a thread by machoing the URL. Right now I'm on page 5. This is the URL: https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index5.html

If I want to go to page 4, I can change it to this: https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index4.html

But that's only in a thread.

There doesn't seem to be a way to do this from an index page.
Thanks John. Do you have any ability to reduce the amount of white space that the forum pages use? Additionally, while there's a mobile version, the "full web" version isn't responsive, so on my 13" Macbook Air, I have to have my browser just about full screen to be able to read the content. And only about a 3rd of the page is content. Also, who chooses the quotes that appear after people's posts. Is there an option to turn them off?
Badge +18
Oh, I almost forgot. The quotes after people's posts are how signatures appear.
Badge +18
Awesome, thanks for sharing the screenshot. Very helpful. Hope you have a great weekend as well.

I'd also keep in mind that we've migrated to a single, unified platform which combines all the content from both ask and the forums.
In addition to that, there was no mobile version of the forums. .

The first was a problem Sonos itself created by bringing about ask though, and if as I remember the main reason for ask has now been junked here, it sounds quite funny - and I hesitate to concede going backward as a benefit. I suppose it is one of sorts though, although outweighed by losing the much higher user friendliness of forums.
I can't comment on the mobile aspect, I don't use that route.
I'm hoping that the people in this thread will try to work with us before resorting to walking out the door. I say this sincerely and without agenda: the people on these boards have contributed to making Sonos what it is today. Please don't give up yet.
I am sure you must have factored in some loss of expertise when you decided to make this move, and you have to hope that the loss with stay within that reckoning. In time I suppose we will see what in audio is called the burning in thing where one gets used to the new and attributes this to equipment burn in.
There are a lot of comments about large, bright white space, here is another viewpoint.

Should one live long enough, one will be developing cataracts and floaters. Large, intensely white backgrounds complicate viewing by older adults -- viewing can be outright uncomfortable. Younger eyes cannot fully appreciate this experience, but if you look through a slightly dirty or fogged window, then sharply light the fogged layer, you can begin to appreciate the visual complication caused by cataracts. I'm sure that automobile drivers have faced this situation when oncoming headlights hit a slightly fogged windshield -- whiteout!.

It's really difficult for generations to appreciate the different perception capabilities of another generation. My father had hearing damage resulting in the top few notes of a piano being mechanical thuds, there was no pitch. As a small person I could not understand how we could come to such different conclusions about an "obvious" event -- each of us feeling so strongly that the other person was, er ... WRONG! ... out of it! I was at the other end of the spectrum, "bat" would be a good description. I could hear all of the high frequency stuff that was out of reach for him, and he noticed low frequency stuff while I was distracted by the highs. Eventually, I figured out and appreciated what was going on, unfortunately he never fully made this leap.
I'm currently experimenting with Google's High Contrast extension for Chrome, with this site set to Inverted Colour. At least the unrelieved mass of white is now black.

Using AdBlock Plus, select Block Element and the (now white) top bar can also be removed. The page is then mostly white on black, and the immovable header no longer takes up excessive screen space on a 768 pixel display.
White compounds the problem that all computer displays have, of aggravating the eyes. Which is why it isn't easy to sleep directly after using one, as an example.

That's where Kindle scores with its passive technology where reading it is very close to how it feel to read a book, at least from a purely visual perspective, and it doesn't interfere with the going to sleep process. While this isn't the same on an iPad, which is as aggravating as a computer.

White is tolerable on the controller where one isn't looking at it for long durations, but is terrible for long use active displays.
Using AdBlock Plus, select Block Element and the (now white) top bar can also be removed.
In fact you can use AdBlock Plus to de-clutter the display no end, suppressing footers, 'related', signature lines, badges and so forth, thereby modestly improving the genuine information density.

The element containing the 'like' and 'quote' buttons can also be taken out, squishing things up some more, though the loss of 'quote' could be a mild nuisance.