Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This sums it up for me perfectly. And the fact that Ryan and the crew have stated numerous times they are working on fixes, none are forthcoming, so it appears to me they bought this 'community' software without really doing all the necessary research and are hoping the software company is going to provide fixes for them. I, like you, would come in every day and click 'New Posts.' At LEAST once a week I would find a tip or trick that I didn't know existed. I loved the forum. Now I only show up if there is a response to a thread I posted in to see if hopefully something changed and I can start reading here again.

This was exactly the way I used the previous forums too. And my reaction is the same as BlueCrystalMan. A real shame.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
The page gutters on this are so f'ing wide I am going blind trying to read the posts because of all the white space. Email me when you fix or go back to the old system. Later.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ryan S,

Is there anyway to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order?

When I click on "Activity since last visit" I would like to see the search results under the standard headings of; "Welcome, Getting started, Life with Sonos, Advanced and troubleshooting, Other language forums and Community feedback" and then the respective sub headings.

Without such functionality this new community thing is pretty useless to those of us like BlueCrystalMan, SteveM etc. who used to check in every day (or week) to pick up on tips and tricks. It is very unhelpful to have the posts I might be interested in buried by loads of "Getting started" ones!!
Good luck TJRL... I'm still waiting for the contents of the post to appear on the notification emails. That's been 'coming' for months.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Is there anyway to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order?

Good question, there isn't currently extra sorting options on that list but I like where your head's at. I'll pass the suggestion on for you. We'd like to make it easier for all the regulars, so believe me it's something on our to-do list. I don't have any specifics right now, but we will let you guys know as soon as we have more.

Good luck TJRL... I'm still waiting for the contents of the post to appear on the notification emails. That's been 'coming' for months.

This is one I'd like to see myself, but it isn't currently planned to be added. I don't remember it being mentioned as "coming" but if you locate somewhere it's been called out as being on the list please let me know, I'd like to correct that. This is a feature that isn't built into the InSided platform currently and may not be added right now.

____
Thanks for sharing guys, we know the community still has some growing to do and we're going to help do just that. Let us know where you see room that needs improvement too.
Thanks, ratty... exactly what I was going for. In the beginning, it sounded as if the company sold Sonos a bill of goods, and based on mods' comments, changes were being made and coming. Guess not anymore once the check was deposited.
Is the software company even entertaining the features everyone needs?
Even if they were, the fact that so many features are missing from the InSided platform doesn't fill me with optimism. Possibly the only hope is that someone will eventually have the courage to order a further migration, to a platform built from the ground up to satisfy the basic requirements of a modern board.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is the software company even entertaining the features everyone needs?
Even if they were, the fact that so many features are missing from the InSided platform doesn't fill me with optimism. Possibly the only hope is that someone will eventually have the courage to order a further migration, to a platform built from the ground up to satisfy the basic requirements of a modern board.

I wasn't registered before the current board so can't compare. But it is true to say that this forum is not very good in terms of seeing latest posts and the layout within a post is not very good either.

Surely there are plenty of forum templates out there that would do the job?
Months ago I already concluded that this forum is not there to help customers and allow them to share their views but to stifle that as much as possible while pretending otherwise.

I am little more charitable on this point; while what you say is probably the outcome to a large degree, I don't think it is a planned one. I see this a classic example of marketing leadership making decisions based on personal preferences and persuasions, without ever being in active touch with ground realities. And I can assure you from my experiences in other companies that none of the Sonos responses are from these people/this person.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Perhaps that is coming across stronger than appropriate, but the drift is accurate, I suggest.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't have an issue with the new password being sent plain text (not sure how else it could be sent?) but share JasonAlex's concerns as well as:-

1) The new password should expire after, say, 24 hours

2) A new password should be forced to be set by the user immediately they use the new password

3) Password complexity rules should be used - pain in the neck but really should be activated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
So I am back on my now monthly (was daily) look around the Sonos Forum and it seems nothing has been improved in the last month or did I miss something?
Besides missing the old forum, no. This new one is still a clunky mess that still features weekly problems.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ryan, many thanks for the update, I guess I am just waiting for this (now not so) new style forum to get back to the usability / functionality of the original one.
I guess I am just waiting for this (now not so) new style forum to get back to the usability / functionality of the original one.
In that case I suspect you could be waiting for ever:
https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/community-platform-updates-6731275?postid=15969962

There's never been any commitment that this platform would be retrofitted with the kind of basic board facilities offered by the old vBulletin forums, or even Ask/GetSatisfaction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Ratty, I was working from the posts earlier in this thread from 2 months ago (near the top of page 😎 where Ryan S replied to my post with:-

""TJRL wrote:
Is there anyway to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order?"

Good question, there isn't currently extra sorting options on that list but I like where your head's at. I'll pass the suggestion on for you. We'd like to make it easier for all the regulars, so believe me it's something on our to-do list. I don't have any specifics right now, but we will let you guys know as soon as we have more."

So whilst I agree this is not an actual commitment that this platform to be retrofitted with the kind of basic board facilities we used to enjoy, in regard to my request to be able to sort "Activity since last visit" searches by subject area rather than date order, he did say "so believe me it's something on our to-do-list".

I do believe Ryan S which is why I keep looking back here every 4 weeks or so to see if it has happened yet.

PS - Does anyone know of a better way to reference earlier posts other than my ham fisted "(near the top of page 8)" attempt at the start of this post?
PPS - Ratty, how did you embed the link to the other thread?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

PS - Does anyone know of a better way to reference earlier posts other than my ham fisted "(near the top of page 8)" attempt at the start of this post?
PPS - Ratty, how did you embed the link to the other thread?

in the top right of each post is a small icon looking like a figure of 8 /chain link. Click this (or right click and copy) and it will give a link directly to that specific post and page.

A bit like this to your post 'near the top of page 8'

https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/a-huge-step-backward-what-are-you-guys-thinking-6730677/index8.html#post15995484

This site really continues to be very poor as a community platform as is really missing the most basic of features like the ability to go directly to the unread posts in a thread or sort/narrow search results according to ANY criteria at all !

Nicka99, many thanks for the info on how the 8 /chain link works much appreciated.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The shortcomings of the InSided platform have been called out in detail and in various locations. Here we are 6 months since inception yet still stuck with basically the same features, give or take a bit of tinkering round the edges and a grafted-on attempt at highlighting unread posts on a per-subforum basis.

Is there actually any development going on at all? Forgive me but I have my doubts. On the face of it we're lumbered with a bespoke wheel reinvention with missing spokes.

I just received a community survey and directed them to this topic. Lets hope someone has noticed a nosedive in community activity and actually plans on doing something about it sometime soon.
I just received a community survey and directed them to this topic. Lets hope someone has noticed a nosedive in community activity and actually plans on doing something about it sometime soon.
As it's now a year since this board debuted I somehow doubt it's going to receive anything like the remedial attention demanded. Maybe it's headed for a complete overhaul/replacement?

Apart from the odd thread with some earnest discussion this 'community' is now mostly a support site. Part of that may be a simple reflection of the changing demographic in the user base, the amount of time/money/commitment the user is willing to expend, and the fact that for longstanding customers Sonos 'just works'.
Do as I say, not as I do.
Yes. Petty whining.

Not to mention constantly complaining that Sonos doesn't enact a technically unsupportable, financially unviable policy of developing, maintaining, and allowing for release every software version ever made going back over a decade in order to placate the wishes of a tiny fraction of its users who want to remain frozen in time but not lose any functionality, while still being able to add new devices. This insane request has nothing to do with not liking a support site, and has everything to do with . . . (now saying it a third time) - Petty whining!

Not even a remotely accurate description of my position. My recurring theme in every thread has been that Sonos needs to find a way to prevent disruption in large installations where frequent hardware obsolescence (controllers) or feature changes (players unintentionally coming off local mute due to a group volume change) simply do not scale well and cannot be managed the same as they are for somebody with only 3 or 4 Sonos zones.

If some of the suggestions for how they might do that are impractical then fair enough, I'm fine if they pick some other way to address this as long as they do address it. As far as this issue being petty, I'd say no more (or less) so then the current concern over the changes to the queue. What is important vs. what is petty seems to vary based on whether the feature in question is used by the person handing out the labels... which was the point I was making in the earlier post.
I have not been told this by Sonos. Nor have they stated they do not intend to address any of these concerns or that they are walking away from the large installation/custom installation segment, regardless of what fraction of their business it represents. When they do make a definitive statement about their intentions then I will stop pursuing it. If their choice is to make no comment then hearing it come up again is a consequence of that choice.

You have certainly given an opinion of why you think any solution is technically and financially impossible and I respect your view but that does not solve the problem... and again I only highlight issues that were not issues at some earlier point in time, not pie in the sky features that have never existed. In other words, things that used to work a certain way and now don't.

I'm sure if my requests become a problem that the moderators will take steps to reel me in. They really don't need you to help them with that.
I'll tell you what, when they address it and it turns out to be possible, then you can tell me what I can and cannot post. Until then, I will post what I want and when I want. Also, I kindly ask you to stop attacking me, and instead address the glaring inconsistencies and outright impracticality I've raised about your requirements, rather than hiding behind Sonos' silence on the subject as a shield for your apparent unwillingness or inability to defend your ideas. Deal?

It was not my intention to attack you or tell you what you can post. I am just saying that you do not need to attack me or make it your mission to shut me down... Sonos will do that if they think it is warranted.

I already made a deal some months ago to stop criticizing the controller app and have agreed in other recent threads to terminate the discussion rather than continue defending my position when the discussion runs on between the two of us without providing value to anyone else. I have, and probably will continue to defend my position whenever a change appears to be detrimental to large installations or custom installations. I probably will NOT drag out the defense of any proposed solution because at the end of the day I don't care how Sonos chooses to solve the problem their change created as long as they come up with a solution. It seems if I propose a solution I get hammered if it involves technical or financial challenges and if I don't propose one I still get hammered for just complaining without offering solutions. So going forward if I identify a problem that Sonos has created with on of their changes to their product that impacts the group I care about I am going to leave it to Sonos to explain how they intend to address it. Deal?
I just had to verify my email address. I've been logging into this mess for over a year and was a member of the old site for seven on top of that. Looks ike insided just came into the 90s.

And yeah... those are very self-serving statistics. CEO is clueless about one of the biggest forward facing features of his company. Kind of explains why the music library feature is all but forgotten.
SO MUCH WHITE SPACE! another web site to help me go blind.
LOL. I think I agree, particularly if used late at night with no lights on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Night Mode Eye Guard makes it easier on the eyes. I'm sure that alternatives exist for Chrome and Safari. Unfortunately the website still shows up white for half a second after a refresh.