Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Didn't want to start a new thread for this - in forums under General discussion I had started a thread of recommended music. Where is that now?

They are sorting threads that were posted to General Discussion and they will appear in the appropriate forum over the next few days.

And under my profile how do I see all threads I have started here? I could do that in forums, can I do that here?
On your profile page, click the number next to topics and it will show you a summary of your threads

Thank you, I found the topics thing, though I am quite sure I have started a lot more threads than the 25 shown over there.

This isn't a question to you but to Sonos - is there a date by which this sorting will be done? I am surprised that it is a work in progress given the advance nature of this move, and the fact that you have also taken the benefit of leaving a three day hole in forum activity for the migration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
If 39 out of 64 topics have not been migrated, it doesn't speak well of the migration quality. That standard would not be acceptable inside Sonos if it happened while changing or upgrading email platforms.

I suspect we will hear more of this from others as well, and since this isn't a service we are paying for, we don't have much recourse.

Most of those threads I'm sure have been migrated over, but they're unsorted. Our team's going through them and getting them in the right place, but it'll take some time. They have to get put into the proper board so that the community is cleaner. Stick with us, we're working on it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Yeah, this is very much style over function. The old vBulletin was ugly and outdated looking, but it worked so much better than this! Moving to something like ZenForo would have added the style while keeping the function. Sigh.

What functions do you feel are missing most that you'd like to see on the community here? I see you've added a few things to the Wish List thread. Let us know what you're missing, we'll see what can be added and what can't. Some features that can't be added now may be available in the future too, so please let us know.

Most of those threads I'm sure have been migrated over, but they're unsorted. Our team's going through them and getting them in the right place, but it'll take some time. They have to get put into the proper board so that the community is cleaner. Stick with us, we're working on it.

I see all 62 threads now, so I have to commend you for that. Perhaps I was too quick on the draw:-), sorry.
"Question: ------| Trump |Windows 10 Help Desk Number 1.888.269.0130 Windows 10 Tech Support Phone Number
5 minutes ago ‐ 0 Comments"

Blame it on The Donald, lol.
I have been on the Sonos forum since 2007 but now I am a "Novice"!
You can turn that off, in Settings/Settings.

Where has the unsupported area gone?

Errr.. it's not supported? On the other hand it could be that the threads have simply not been sorted, post-migration.

How do I see New Post since my last visit?

Activities/Active since last visit
However it's not terribly informative as it stands. You'd need to click through to the forum then hit View to jump to the last post.
And the last post times appear to be stuck at European Time with no user time zone control.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Quick note - the spiritual successor to the 'unsupported area' is the 'advanced setups' forum, where that content has been migrated to:

https://en.community.sonos.com/advanced-setups-229000
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
My private messages are gone. I asked where they are. No answer.

The Dutch Forums are gone. The French Forums are gone. The Spanish Forums are gone.

So I'm not satisfied, not by a long shot.
XenForo is horrible to begin with, and switching it to another theme makes it even worse. A few mentioned early on after the mention of the switch in the old forum that the white space was a concern, and you still went ahead with it. Who thought a white with all that wasted vertical space was a good idea? I've not purchased products from some companies because their user forums were horrible. Glad I already have my Sonos kit. I purchased it because of stuff I read on the forums... it wouldn't be the case today. And you're actually advocating a third-party browser add-on to actually make this place readable?
Userlevel 2
Badge
It's got to be tough moving the old threads over.

Some suggestions for consideration -

I see why you'd want these forums to have the same look and feel as the rest of the website, it's basic web design guidelines. Perhaps some smaller versions of the fonts to increase the readable area of the page? Less scrolling is always good.

The green area on the opening page could probably benefit by being smaller, or keep it the same size but add links to the various subforum categories - maybe below the search field?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
We are also listening to your feedback around features you'd like to see and your concerns around the design - we're going to be capturing, sorting and considering all of your thoughts and feedback, and will let you know about any changes and improvements that are coming.

Be sure to check out this post whilst you compile that list !
https://en.community.sonos.com/new-community-feedback-229090/wish-list-6730681
I guess the more savvy current millennial users like this type of layout. I for one do not, but I am also an old fart. It wastes way too much screen real estate. Its much too bright white. It makes me work too much at getting any usable information out . Rather than scanning most of a thread with my eyes I have to use the scroll wheel on my mouse. I used to visit daily to see what's new and happening with other users. I don't see that happening anymore. I will visit only if I have an issue. Sorry to see a concise information and entertainment source go away.

I shouldn't be surprised though. This new and improved version follows the trend set by the new and improved controller versions. I will persevere here as I have done there. Just please don't mess with the hardware. It works just fine thank you very much.

Oh does this mean this is a SONOS moderated and controlled forum(?) now; rather than a SONOS supported USER forum
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Oh does this mean this is a SONOS moderated and controlled forum(?) now; rather than a SONOS supported USER forum

The new site doesn't have any user moderators, however there are many very active users who are here hanging out and helping. I'm sure you've already seen many of the long time forum moderators around here.

Though we're the moderators on the site, we aren't going to be doing any moderation that any other moderator wouldn't. We aren't in the habit of removing posts, deleting threads, or silencing communication unless it is in breach of the terms and conditions of the community itself.

I understand the concern that if the company is moderating the forums they might hide negative statements or messages that aren't friendly, but that isn't the way we work.

The forums had a great sense of community and belonging which we absolutely loved seeing, and we're hoping to take that to the next level here on the new platform. We've got so many talented and experienced people involved here and we can't wait to see where it goes.

We're looking into all the feedback on the site and are happy to look into changing what can be done to make everyone happier. Some things can certainly be done, some can't. So please let us know if there are specific features you'd like to see, and any suggestions you might have.
Retiring them is minor compared to putting all content in those languages on the shelf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Retiring them is minor compared to putting all content in those languages on the shelf.

I think it's a bloody shame Sonos dumped the Spansh, French and Dutch Forums and their contents!
Seems to me that only ex forum members are unhappy. Is that because we are a bunch of oldies that can't stand change or is it because the ask folk are seeing a lot less change than what forum people are?
Seems to me that only ex forum members are unhappy. Is that because we are a bunch of oldies that can't stand change or is it because the ask folk are seeing a lot less change than what forum people are?

I've got a buddy that is interested in purchasing, and while he believes my biased testimonial, he's not a tech guy like I am, so he comes here for more insight. The last few days he's been less than thrilled, especially being technically challenged, so I would say no.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Not even mentioning the casual way in which Sonos decided to eliminate the Dutch, French and Spanish forums, in doing so showing blatant disregard for many users.
Maybe the new community will be like new Coke was in the 80s and they'll bring back the old forum. Though I doubt it... Coke management seems smart.

Look at the reviews for Insided, the software chosen for use here. Not pretty.
I suppose it takes some experience bought wisdom to understand the truth about the "if it ain't broke..." saying.
Like you said... the suits make the decisions and leave it up to the front lines to pick up the pieces.
Know what's awesome? Used to be able to click the 'new posts' link on the old forum from anywhere. To access it here easily, the easiest thing to do is go to my bookmarks for Sonos, which takes me to that page when nothing around here easily does. Convenient, right?
That's a good workaround. Which one though, recently active or posts since last visit? How is last visit determined? The last time I moved to another site while remaining logged in here, or does that list restart only with logging out?
If my memory serves me well, ask was created as a platform to capture, assess, and keep track of ideas and suggestions in a structured way, in place of the Sound Ideas section of the forum where this wasn't easy to automatically do.

The funny thing is that this functionality has been discontinued here, because it never worked on ask, as Sonos has reported here - somewhere.

Other than a merging of two communities, and very occasional responses here by Sonos staff, what is the benefit - if I may used a MBA beloved term - net net? Anyone?
Guess community answers are going to go the way of feature announcements for new releases... non-existent. They wanted a single experience... guess they're REALLY moving toward it!