Skip to main content
Answered

random muting on my system

My entire system mutes randomly and without touching any buttons, The voice Assistance not activated and that's not what appears to be causing it. Are there any solutions? I have updated my system. 

215 replies

Same problem here since a few weeks. I sent a diagnose a few minutes ago: *************.

Moderator edit: Diagnostic number recorded and removed

Hi Sonos team.

I listen to the system from when I wake up until I go to bed. It's on all day long to keep the dog company when I'm out.

Since the latest app update, the volume on different devices sets to 0 or -1 randomly. It doesn't necessarily happen to all the devices at the same time, or even to device groups.

This happens throughout the day, and it causes great frustration.  I had to reset all my devices last night because even though the app showed them grouped properly and supposedly all playing at volume, only one had sound. The others were not muted, and all the LEDs were white.

Help!

​​​

Exact same issue here. Why is there no in house testing done prior to release of these updates? As you took a perfectly working system and with the latest update killed it! Awful.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Morgpierre et al

Thank you all for your assistance - we have identified an issue making speakers randomly set their volume to 0 and are investigating. We will update this thread once a fix has been implemented.

So it’s been over a week, any idea on timeline for getting this sorted?   Side question: was all this really worth it so a pair of crappy headphones could get launched on time?  

On android, I have force closed the app and that seems to stop the muting. Can control volume through Spotify. Obviously not great to have a completely useless app on my phone. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

On android, I have force closed the app and that seems to stop the muting. Can control volume through Spotify. Obviously not great to have a completely useless app on my phone. 

Uninistall the v80 app and reinstall the 16.1 original.

Posted how I did it a a few posts back.

Seens all working with no issues now, with the 16.1 build

This is still happening and it's unacceptable. Sonos doesn't seem to care. I am definitely returning all my Sonos products. I got the era 100's at Costco and they have a three month return policy. I'll keep the Roam and sell the One SL's on offer up. 

F you Sonos. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

This is still happening and it's unacceptable. Sonos doesn't seem to care. I am definitely returning all my Sonos products. I got the era 100's at Costco and they have a three month return policy. I'll keep the Roam and sell the One SL's on offer up. 

F you Sonos. 

It's been 13 days since a Sonos support guy said they were aware and were looking into it and they'd let the Community know when it will be fixed. Crickets ever since.................,.....not a single update.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Same problem. 

I have the same problem randomly no audio and system on mute

I thought this was due to the change of my network components. loosing the Wifi connection. NOw I see this is a common problem and waiting for the solution 

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I have the same problem randomly no audio and system on mute

I thought this was due to the change of my network components. loosing the Wifi connection. NOw I see this is a common problem and waiting for the solution 

Thanks

Could be a long wait……….

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

All mine are also running on build 16.2 (79154060).

When you mean 'turning off any device loaded with the Sonos app'. You have to restart the phone and not just uninstall?

Yes, if the phone is turned off, then the app can not be running and sending any commands.

If it still happens with the app and phone off, commands are coming from outside of your Sonos subnet (more than likely from a Sonos server)

I will try mine tonight, forcibly turn off the app within settings, and turn off phone for the night.

If I get the green mute, will let you know.

Thanks! I restarted my phone which is the only device with the Sonos App and it seems stable atm. I skipped the restart part previously since I thought uninstalling the new Sonos App and reinstalling 16.1 would be enough…

I’m signed into my Sonos account on 16.1, did this cause issues for you?

Sonos server? Apart from blocking the auto updating, did you have to block anything else?

Last night turned off the app within settings on my android a33 5g phone. Then turned off phone for the night. Can report no "green mutes" experienced during the night / morning.

Just turned the phone back on, and the build 16.1 app is running.

Will monitor system today, and tonight will leave phone and app running to see what happens.

Will let you know?

After going back to build 16.1. My system has been running without issue for 24 hours!

Early days?

Just submitted a diagnostic report for the muting as well. 

It happened overnight on the Sonos One before 1:30am EST. However, all of my sonos speakers were green/muted, but the One is what was playing at the time.

I am also experiencing this. I use Sonos for overnight playing of white noise and this has been waking me up as suddenly everything just cuts out!

Fix this issue now!

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Sounds like Sonos themselves are muted.

Surely if they have identified the issue it shouldn’t take this long to fix.

All mine are also running on build 16.2 (79154060).

When you mean 'turning off any device loaded with the Sonos app'. You have to restart the phone and not just uninstall?

Yes, if the phone is turned off, then the app can not be running and sending any commands.

If it still happens with the app and phone off, commands are coming from outside of your Sonos subnet (more than likely from a Sonos server)

I will try mine tonight, forcibly turn off the app within settings, and turn off phone for the night.

If I get the green mute, will let you know.

Thanks! I restarted my phone which is the only device with the Sonos App and it seems stable atm. I skipped the restart part previously since I thought uninstalling the new Sonos App and reinstalling 16.1 would be enough…

I’m signed into my Sonos account on 16.1, did this cause issues for you?

Sonos server? Apart from blocking the auto updating, did you have to block anything else?

Last night turned off the app within settings on my android a33 5g phone. Then turned off phone for the night. Can report no "green mutes" experienced during the night / morning.

Just turned the phone back on, and the build 16.1 app is running.

Will monitor system today, and tonight will leave phone and app running to see what happens.

Will let you know?

After going back to build 16.1. My system has been running without issue for 24 hours!

Early days?

Same, i’ve had no issues last night and today. After downgrading to 16.1, disabling auto-updates and restarting my phone, it worked. Do not forget the restart step!

I emailed this thread to customer service and got this generic response below.

What a silly response. It does not even address the core issue of the muting and random volume changes. Forget about adding back old features (why did we even need a new app if you’re going to make it crapper, more buggy and less functional?) - the speakers are not even usable as a speaker when your volume constantly drops to zero randomly lol.

Oh, my issue was worse than occasional random muting. I literally was watching the volume decrease on the app and I would battle increasing it back up and it would battle me back by decreasing. Then it would go to -1, get stuck there, where I would have to use the sliders as my phone buttons would not work.

Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reach out to me.

I’ve received a great deal of feedback regarding our new app, on both the improvements made, as well as where we fell short. If you are among those for whom the experience is falling short, I want you to know that I hear you. Teams across Sonos are working diligently to address customer concerns as quickly as possible.

Since launch, we have reintroduced a number of features via updates, including the ability to add and edit alarms, sleep timer settings, add songs to the queue and play next, as well as initial screen reader improvements for iOS VoiceOver that will allow users to more easily navigate the app. We continue to roll out updates regularly, so please ensure your Sonos App and products are all up to date: https://support.sonos.com/article/update-your-sonos-speakers

Over the coming weeks, we will reintroduce local music library search and playback, as well as Update Wi-Fi settings, at the same time that we continue to address bugs and performance issues.

In the meantime, if you are experiencing an issue with your Sonos System, you may find the following resources helpful, and are always welcome to reach out to our support team directly.

-Sonos Community: https://en.community.sonos.com
-Sonos App User Guide: https://www.sonos.com/guides/sonosapp
-Sonos Support Home: https://support.sonos.com
-Sonos Support Contact: https://support.sonos.com/contact

Thank you again for being a Sonos customer, and for taking the time to reach out to us to share your feedback. I, and the full team at Sonos are committed to delivering on a Sonos experience that brings the joy of unparalleled sound into your lives every day. Delivering on our promise of an easier, faster and better app experience is fundamental to this aim, and you have my personal word that nothing is more important to us at this time.

Sincerely,

Patrick Spence

Same issue here. Does anybody tried to remove all legacy speakers (Play 1-3-5, Playbar, etc) from their system? I plan to do this today, to see if it’s related to faulty devices or firmware. 

Badge

Same experience here as others: random muting of Arc while TV is playing content, random muting of all speakers when nothing is playing content. Tried all kinds of combinations of rebooting, resetting, reinstalling, etc. Sonos seriously dropping the ball here.

My entire system mutes randomly and without touching any buttons, The voice Assistance not activated and that's not what appears to be causing it. Are there any solutions? I have updated my system. 

I’ve been experiencing this since the update too. The light randomly goes to green (meaning it’s muted). Pressing the volume buttons doesn’t fix it nor do voice commands. I have to go into the app (which I try to avoid since the update) and manually increase the volumes

Badge

Same issue here. Does anybody tried to remove all legacy speakers (Play 1-3-5, Playbar, etc) from their system? I plan to do this today, to see if it’s related to faulty devices or firmware. 

I don’t have devices that old but still had the muting. Uninstalling the app from my phone entirely has ended the issue with no apparent repercussions. Now all the speakers work fine.

We have been having the exact same problem for nearly 2 weeks. Some or all speakers muting overnight. It would be good to get a progress update from Sonos on the fix and a temporary workaround too, if one exists

Happening to me now too. Happened 3 times tonight watching football and about 5 times last night Then lost one play 1 then the other then they came back after a few seconds. Seriously guys. Let's revert back to the old set up till you get this fixed. 

Listen to your customers!!

What a joke Sonos support and dev teams. Two weeks on a client wide critical issue, that was a result of your own update.

Sonos being called a premium product company makes this two weeks without a proper fix or client explanation quite unbelievable. Never forget that so many company leaders in history have disappear after ignoring their costumer base. I do genually hope this is not the begining of the end for Sonos.

Same problem here suddenly today. Please get this fixed. I do not need new features, I just want working speakers