Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Another vote for this. Drives me crazy and makes me want to unplug.
Userlevel 2
I’m jumping on the pig-pile. Hate the response sound. Would like to disable or at least make it something appealing. The current sound is like my computer makes when I click something bad. Kerplunk. I’ll give it a while but if it doesn’t change, I’ll buy an alexa and use the Sonos speaker as just a speaker. Had high hopes...
Badge
Another +1. Would be good to be able to use a light to determine when Alexa has started to listen. Currently, it wakes my house up when I speak to it at night time.

Another option would be able to have it and Alexa to be the same volume as the current/last played song.
Long time Amazon Echo user. I just bought two Sonos One's. They're both being returned -- the tone is obnoxious and absolutely unnecessary. I've had no problem using Amazon Echo since the first release without a tone.

Aside from the tone being obnoxiously loud, the issue for those of us who are experienced with Alexa is that we dictate our commands without pausing between the wake word and the command: "Alexa turn on the bedroom lights". Right now, the tone interrupts my command and makes it so Alexa has a harder time hearing my command. That is completely unacceptable for an Alexa device, and I'm surprised this made it through QA; it makes saying commands quickly much more difficult.

I've been a long-time Sonos user (since their first device), but I gotta say I'm pretty darn disappointed with how Sonos has responded to this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would assume at some point we will get a method to disable tone. Yea the tone comes in late when your already talking but Sonos One is great otherwise.
I doubt it. I suspect someone at Sonos feels very strongly about keeping the tone, otherwise this thread would provide ample evidence of how their customers are responding.
The initiation noise on Sonos One ruins the Alexa experience. Echo is much better experience. #cutitoff
Yes, this is terrible. I expected the same experience as the Echo.
Badge
Add my name to the list. I finally bought a Play One to see how the integrated experience would be. I was already aware that some features (like calling and intercom) were not currently available. Didn’t see this coming though.

I don’t think we will get used to it and it is annoying that it is different than all our other Alexa devices. Probably will just disable the Alexa features and will hold off on buying any more Ones until this is resolved.

I still have faith in sonos and expect they will resolve this as soon as they can.
Bought two Sonos ones today, really happy with them so far until I started to watch TV. This sound has happened several times in the space of only a few hour! I'm glad it is listening but very dissatisfied with hearing this sound and knowing it can't be turned off. Seems like such a basic thing the Sonos should be able to do. Please add an option asap.
Userlevel 1
Could I recommend something to the Sonos developers, which I guess is something that just hasn't been done, take a Sonos One speaker home with you and set it up in the bedroom.

Then do the following:

1) Listen to some music at a reasonable volume during the day
2) Once it comes to bed time, the room is dark and you are in bed and thinking about sleep, try using Alexa

It will become immediately obvious what the problem is and why this is now a 5 page long thread. It certainly seems like nobody has tested this speaker in a real life situation.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The tone may be a dealbreaker for me. My daughter’s name is Alexis so we’ve been using “computer” as the wake work on our echo devices.

I know we can’t change the wake word on Sonos, so at least allow us to disable the bong! Now with my new Sonos One in the room it’s “bonging” constantly when I’m talking to my daughter.

“Alexis (BONG) what do you want for breakfast?”

“Did you finish your homework Alexis (BONG)?”

Aaaargh!!! Fatal flaw in an otherwise great product. At this point I’m thinking of just returning it to Best Buy and getting a better BT speaker for my Dot.

This is hilarious, I have a friend named Alexia and it happens all time when she's at home. I think I need to change friends xD

Speaking seriously, I think that Amazon needs to leave the community to change the wake up word for Alexa, also to third party like Sonos.
How annoying when the Sonos has to make a noise from the kitchen when I’m talking to the echo in the living room.

Ryan, you stepped up to the plate - we need you to go to bat for us.
That tone is so incredibly annoying! How can we make it stop? My other Echo devices don't do that and Google's don't either...argh. Help. Please. Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the continued feedback everyone! The suggestion list for Alexa changes and requests isn't a short list, but I'm making sure to keep the most active discussions here in front of the team that's working on them. I don't have any specifics today to let you in on regarding turning off the "boop". You'll see some improvements to ducking and some other things soon though, so stay tuned. And you might have noticed that Deezer was added today!
I'd like to add my agreement about the pointless response tone.
Also, I've just spent the best part of 5 hours trying to get Alexa to play my iTunes library which is located on my NAS. Tried it with Plex and MyMedia and the result is the same. She says "playing X" and then silence. I can play the music from the app, but that's not why I bought it! (I was specifically told by a Sonos rep in a web chat that this was easily implemented, but there are hundreds of people having the same issue.
Not happy.

Wow - 4 months not to do this very simple software change, I am sure everyone who took time out to post on this thread is pleased that you are still on the case. :P

I guess Sonos is just as good at turning a deaf ear to new users as to the early adopters (check out the "SAVE THE CR100" thread!). - Well that is my axe well and truly ground!

Your axe is down to a nub because of all your off-topic posts about the CR-100. No need to pimp your cause, lest those of us who originally had great sympathy start to lose it due to your annoyances.
Badge +1
+1 ... Most irritating things for me ..wake sound and Alexa "ok" response .Please give us option to disable or lower volume ...anything.
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable. 5 months.... unbelievable

* 30 years later *

Hey guys any updates on this suggestion that a huge amount of people wanted to happen to sonos one?

You're actually not far off there (in electronics/app terms, where most updates from other vendors come in days). I just posted this elsewhere, but it may help you to be aware too.. Sonos works very slowly. What would take other apps a week to push out an update takes many months, and there are rarely if ever any status updates. I don't know if they just have very small teams or it's due to having to do a lot of hardware testing, but I've learned to just check the forum when a new software update comes out. Don't check more than once a month. In the end, they usually create a good result, so I am begrudgingly patient.

Just an example. Casting directly from the Spotify app works awesome now. But it took maybe 2 years for it to be released from when Spotify put out the capability. Definitely more than 1.

The One will probably be even worse in this respect since Sonos isn't in control of the smart aspect; Amazon is.

I'm extremely impatient, but all I can say is be patient. There isn't really a better ecosystem out there if you value sound quality.
Userlevel 2
Interestingly, (well it seemed that way to me), those of us using an echo dot can already choose whether or not to have it make a sound after she hears her name and /or after you've finished speaking.

Yeah, same with Echo. But it's yet another Alexa capability missing from One.
The inability to implement this feature is surprising and frustrating but the lack of clear communication from Sonos re this matter is appalling. It shouldn't be difficult, for a company of this caliber, to follow up and clarify an issue like this in this forum. I'm assuming then that they don't care much about our views. Let's see if we care about Sonos next time we have the need to buy a speaker.

It is quite possible that you are not hearing anything because this is an Amazon requirement and Sonos would be understandably reluctant to blame its partner, Amazon. No sane business throws their working partner under the bus.
Gee, it seems unusual that people who have vowed to never buy another Sonos product and never update again are this interested in Sonos' future feature set and market share. :8
Userlevel 4
I hate that tone. Not just the fact of it, but also that it sounds very much like an old-school Microsoft Windows error dialog. Please give us the option to disable or change it.

My wife is using Alexa less on the One than on our old Echo because this is so off-putting.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I'm sure if Sonos commented something about it (whether it's Amazon's requirement or something that can not be removed because of privacy), but give us an answer. All I want is to be able to change the sound in some way, or disable it, as well as if there is any way to change the wake up word. But an answer like "we are working on it and the team is now informed" it is not the best response.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The team is definitely aware of this request and has been looking into it, but it's not quite at the "we're definitely doing this" stage. I don't have any specifics I can let you in on, but it hasn't been forgotten or disregarded. The development team is working on a lot of things at the moment. I'll let you know if there are any details I can share.