Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

Hugely irritating and unnecessary noise, likewise am considering returning my Sonos one for this single reason (oh and that Alexa can’t play tidal either and seems intent on selling me amazon subscriptions).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can always disable the skill on the other sonos speakers in your house so that only the ones you want voice control on duck in sound.

Sonos has said what they want is the ability to make a default speaker for each Echo unit so that only the default speaker ducks (and also then plays without having to say room name). We don't know where they are with Amazon in being able to do this - but that they have said is the plan in getting the ducking issue resolved.
Badge
Another one that get my vote
Userlevel 1
Ditto, really need this please, we have the Sonos one in the bedroom and voice control is really useful but we have a baby in with us and it disturbs him!
Badge
Is this question related enough to keep on the same thread or should I start a new one?

My Sonos Beam works as I would like: "Alexa, what time is it?" "It's 3:03 PM"
However my Sonos One still has an annoying bong, but at the end of her reply. "Alexa, what time is it?" "It's 3:03 PM"

I can't figure out why the difference or how to make the Sonos One, act like the Beam. Any ideas?

Maybe you're still working this out? Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this :(

There isn't an issue tracker, but if this becomes an option I'll make sure to post in this thread to let everyone know. You can subscribe to this thread for notification.
It's great that the wake tone can be turned off now. However there is still an annoying tone after Alexa acknowledges the command that sounds exactly the same as the wake tone. Can this be turned off to? Feels like half a job has been done! The Echos don't have this issue.
I agree if you want the chime to be turned off when using Alexa you should be able to turn it off completely!

Why do you need a chime at the end, when clearly we know Alexa has worked because she has responded!

Amazon speakers don’t do this why does Sonos feel the need?
I agree if you want the chime to be turned off when using Alexa you should be able to turn it off completely!

Why do you need a chime at the end, when clearly we know Alexa has worked because she has responded!

Amazon speakers don’t do this why does Sonos feel the need?

Disable in the Alexa app the 'Follow Up' mode for each Sonos ONE.
Userlevel 7
It appears many people don't like the audio tone given by the Sonos One with Alexa. There are threats not to buy another speaker or return the product. Here's the thing....if enough people complain Sonos will probably work to get the annoyance corrected. Not doing so will jeopardize sales.

That said...one of the Sonos staff said it may come in a later update. Until then assuming you want to keep the Sonos One (or you are pass the return date) until the update to remove the audio tone occurs you can integrate an Echo Dot and turn Alexa off on the Sonos One. If you already have an Echo Dot it's a no brainer; if not you have to consider the $50 USD to get one. Is it worth the trouble?

Remember, the Sonos One without Alexa activated is still a Sonos speaker. Alexa via an Echo Dot wherein you can turn off the tone may be a temp work-around. Just throwing this out for consideration. Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for sharing everyone! @curlyel, there isn't currently a change in status for the request that I can share. There's a lot that the team is working on but I can't speak to the tone specifically right now. We do make sure that the team knows how many people are asking for what features so they know which ones are the highest in demand.

I'll be sure to let you know when I hear anything new that can be shared.
Userlevel 1
Kudos to the dev team for fixing the mic sensitivity in the 8.2.3 update, but this issue is preventing me from replacing the rest of my echoes with One's, and from recommending the same to clients. Should be a really quick fix, please prioritize.

Sonos App. Settings, Services, Amazon Alexa

Tap the room name of your Sonos One.

Under Voice Settings, disable Wake Word Chime 

Now, my Sonos Beam doesn’t have an end of request Chime, but my Sonos One does. 

Does anyone know when this annoying tone will be able to disable also in the german app?

I would love to take out some of my Amazon Echos. But unfortunately it makes me aggressive when the sound in the whole house is going on when someone in another room says the word “Alexa”. Even in the night when I want to sleep and someone whispers to Alexa. :rolling_eyes:

I could understand it with the Beam, I´m talking to. But that doesn´t make sense in all rooms. :hear_no_evil:

Disabled the Alexa chime (could only do this in Android, didn’t find in Windows app). Now have an end of response chime on my One (gen 1) but not my One (gen 2) nor Move. 

Just got the Sonos One and the beep drives my dog crazy the same way a thunderstorm does. If this continues it has to be returned.

It was like this for me;

settings > services > amazon alexa > select room > deselect ‘wake word chime’

Politely +1, would love to disable this sound/tone
Agree with all the others Please provide an option to turn off the tone and also adjust Alexa voice level. WAF has plummeted due to these issues.

“Best Answer” is incorrect for Sonos 11:

Settings->Services and Voice->Amazon Alexa->”Each Sonos product listed”->Voice settings->Wake Word Chime->off

Badge
I read through this thread and thought it can’t be they bad can it?

Well yes. Yes it is. Especially when follow on is enabled and/or the volume was previously set high or is high.

I gave it a week and decided it’s not for me. Seeing this thread is over a year old with no action, it’s obvious Sonos ain’t going to change anything, so back they go.

Shame as if the alert could be disabled and maybe have an independent volume for Alexa these would have been great.

Echo dot + *insert other speakers here* here we come I guess.
Badge
The team is definitely aware of this request and has been looking into it, but it's not quite at the "we're definitely doing this" stage. I don't have any specifics I can let you in on, but it hasn't been forgotten or disregarded. The development team is working on a lot of things at the moment. I'll let you know if there are any details I can share.

Anything new to share nearly half a year later, Ryan?
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
+1 on this, just got the beam and this is the first thing I want to change. 10 month old topic, not looking hopeful.
Badge
The team is definitely aware of this request and has been looking into it, but it's not quite at the "we're definitely doing this" stage. I don't have any specifics I can let you in on, but it hasn't been forgotten or disregarded. The development team is working on a lot of things at the moment. I'll let you know if there are any details I can share.

Anything new to share nearly half a year later, Ryan?

Heh. Smooth. Get an email saying my question has been answered linking to the year old post stacked at the top of this thread.

Guess that answers the question tho. Will return, and revisit down the road. Maybe Google will be integrated then as well.