Answered

Disable Sonos One Alexa from playing a sound when I say "Alexa"

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

313 replies

I looked under every single entry on the app and none of them had the option except for my Dots. But I was able to see the option when I went to the website. There are different options available on the website than on the app. But regardless, I was able to turn it off online. Thank God I will stop hearing those incessant beeps.
Totally agree with this, the sound is offputting when you’re thinking how to frame a question and also hinders Alexa
I fully agree with the comments regarding the response tone. It is most annoying, for all the reasons given by the responders to this topic. As my pair of Sonos one’s are placed high in the room, I am unable to see any of the LED’s on top. An option to switch the tone off would be fine but, in my case a modified tone, shorter, quieter, with attenuated lower frequencies, would be just fine. Tried a HomePod but, came back to two Sonos ones.
Badge +1
I strongly agree. I really want to turn off the acknowledgement tone!
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Interestingly, (well it seemed that way to me), those of us using an echo dot can already choose whether or not to have it make a sound after she hears her name and /or after you've finished speaking.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
I believe it is time to start a petition to disable the chime or create a toggle. I want to love my Sonos one, BUT I don't. My guess is that the rewrite of the code is so difficult for them thus costly, so they just don't want to do it.

As has been repeatedly pointed out here, Sonos must conform to Amazon's requirements in it's implementation of Alexa on the Sonos One. One of those requirements is that any Alexa-enabled devices must provide the user with an adequate notification whenever is Alexa is listening for security purposes. The Sonos One currently uses the same tone as Amazon's own Echo devices, although that sound is disabled by default on those devices as they instead rely upon the notification provided by the light ring. Whether the tiny light on top of the of the Sonos One provides an equally acceptable notification in Amazon's view is an open question.

My point is that while I fully agree with you on the need for a toggle, I seriously doubt that the delay in implementing one has anything to do with it being difficult or costly for Sonos to do. Feel free to start a petition if you wish, but I think Sonos is very aware of the widespread popularity of this request and will hopefully find a solution.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Its this attitude and slack response to issues like this that will kill sonos. Look at the announce feature, doesnt work on sonos one. The acknowlegement tone which in rooms that have echos causes misheard instructuons.

The latest audio quality from amazons own devices is getting on par with sonos, and unless sonos actually start fixing these issues then people wil simply start to migrate their estate to amazon hardware to ensure they get all the functionality. Ive stopped purchasing any more sonos products and new hardware for rooms will be amazon from now on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
The inability to implement this feature is surprising and frustrating but the lack of clear communication from Sonos re this matter is appalling. It shouldn't be difficult, for a company of this caliber, to follow up and clarify an issue like this in this forum. I'm assuming then that they don't care much about our views. Let's see if we care about Sonos next time we have the need to buy a speaker.

It is quite possible that you are not hearing anything because this is an Amazon requirement and Sonos would be understandably reluctant to blame its partner, Amazon. No sane business throws their working partner under the bus.

All agreed, but it it does not explain the Sonos marketing blub that seems to have over promised and under delivered on Alexa functionality.

This has the potential to alienate the very market segment Sonos now wish to woo. As "andreslopez" said:- "It shouldn't be difficult, for a company of this caliber, to follow up and clarify an issue like this ..." Perhaps not in this forum but a press release or amended marketing info and POS could be more appropriate?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Gee, it seems unusual that people who have vowed to never buy another Sonos product and never update again are this interested in Sonos' future feature set and market share. :8That description does not describe me 😛 , I have never "vowed" anything on these forums, I have never said I would not purchase further Sonos Products, in fact I have almost begged Sonos to release a CR300 (as Sonos have always made the best controller hardware). When it comes to updating passed 8.4 I would love to, as soon as the benefits outweigh the losses, which could be just around the corner unless you know about Sonos plans better than the rest of us.

Now can we (well you really) get back to topic of the thread? I think the points being made by el-matt0, Master T, andreslopez and others are valid, if voice control via the Sonos One is to be anything more than a "party trick" it needs to work better.

Now as a first attempt it is not too shabby and without doubt a reasonable start. It is however not the finished article and needs further work. History shows us that Sonos will issue updates aimed at improving things and that they will not announce in advance what or when those improvements will come. The first bit is great but many posters here (like me) are less than content with the second bit. A bit of communication on the matter would be breath of fresh air but probably unlikely at this point.
I have a feeling this issue will only be resolved by switching over to the Google voice assistant. Maybe they don't have the same requirements. But at a minimum I won't heard that annoying loud BONG every time I say my daughter's name in the same room, once the wake word is "OK Google." In the meantime my Sonos One is just a dumb speaker linked to my Echo Dot.
Userlevel 2
Wow - 164 replies so far and that represents the tip of the iceberg of misfeature haters. Hopefully Amazon catches wind of this as it is as much of a black eye on Alexa as it is on Sonos. #stopthebloop
Userlevel 1
Why the fridge magnet do you have to repeat everything i ask you to play. I'm not f...ing stupid. Just shut up and play my music....stop f....ing beeping at me.....BEEEEEEEEP
+1. It's all been said but still not addressed.
Come on Sonos, why aren't you listing to your customers feedback?
This has been an ongoing issue for 12 months at least and you've done nothing.
At least Amazon listened and removed the "OK" from the Echos.
Any business that doesn't react to feedback, especially from the very people that keep you in business, is never going to create lasting relationships and lose any potential repeat business.
Badge
+ 1, My shiny new Beam arrived on Saturday, I absolutely love the sound for music and movies, but the loud acknowledgement noise, and Alexa shouting 'PLAYING whatever' at me, currently make the voice control unusable.
Still deciding whether or not this is a deal breaker for me. Reading this thread and seeing how many months people have been begging for a fix is making me lean towards returning it rather than waiting for a fix that may or may not materialise...
+ 1, My shiny new Beam arrived on Saturday, I absolutely love the sound for music and movies, but the loud acknowledgement noise, and Alexa shouting 'PLAYING whatever' at me, currently make the voice control unusable.
Still deciding whether or not this is a deal breaker for me. Reading this thread and seeing how many months people have been begging for a fix is making me lean towards returning it rather than waiting for a fix that may or may not materialise...
I believe it’s called the 'notification tone' by Amazon .. I hate it too. Whilst ideally I would like it gone completely, I wouldn’t mind if I could change it to something like Alexa now uses for 'OK' when the Echo devices are set to 'brief mode'.

Give me 'anything' except the current (aggravating) tone that we have now. ???
I'm staggered that this is still unfixed. We've had Beam and a One for a day and already both of us have started to go crazy at what feels like an error tone. Horrible to the point where we're sending the One back.
Wo, I just bought 7 units of Sonos One for replacing all my alexa devices. After reading this, I am preparing the returns. Showstopper for me. The whole house is beeping with a loud ugly "alexa-ready" sound. Sorry, Sonos. NO WAY.
Please add me to the list.

Just bought a Beam and found this ridiculously long thread 10 mins later when I was trying to turn off the tone
Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Since the Sonos One doesn't have the light ring that you might find on the Echo Dot, the tone was enabled so that you know when the Sonos One heard you and when it's communicating with the cloud. There isn't a way to turn that off, but I'll pass on your request to the team for you.

Thanks for reaching out!

Good news! On the Echo Input, which also does not have a light ring, Amazon plays the sound but also includes the option in the Alexa app to disable the sound! (It's under Devices > (choose your device) > Sounds > Request Sounds > Start of Request.

Now that Amazon has an official supported mechanism of turning off the sound, has Sonos begun the process of implementing the same feature? This would be wonderful news to so many people. Thanks so much!
Userlevel 1
Ryan, it's been a month since you took this request to your team - what is the latest? I've just hooked up my new Sonos system and find this "feature" so annoying that I'm wondering whether to return my Ones or wait for a fix?
There isn't a status change on this one at this time. I can't say one way or the other if it'll happen, but I'll make sure to keep asking for you all. If there's any word to share I'll let you know.

Is there any issue tracker or similar where we can subscribe for updates? or any way to get notified when it's possible? I really want this facility, I chose to get a sonos with Alexa built in to have a single device, but partly wishing I'd bought an echo dot and then a play:1 speaker separately as I'd have been able to do this 😞
It's great that the wake tone can be turned off now. However there is still an annoying tone after Alexa acknowledges the command that sounds exactly the same as the wake tone. Can this be turned off to? Feels like half a job has been done! The Echos don't have this issue.
Absolutely agree. It’s most annoying when it mistakenly hears the wake word (often with three screaming young children) and you aren’t even trying to speak to it. My wife thinks it just randomly beeps and it must be broken. Option to change please.
Userlevel 2
Badge
This really needs to be disabled. The tone is so loud it makes me think twice about using voice control. It’s actually laughable.