Trade up scheme

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Mate Sonos can write middleware for the streams and do it in the cloud.

I really don’t know why you are complaining, if all you do is stream from an NAS and TuneIn, you can stay at a legacy version, not receive updates and your Sonos will play on until the hardware breaks.   Sonos has given you exactly what you wish for. 

Well for one I recently purchased a Sonos Beam for my TV so they’ll be screwing with my network. The stupid thing doesn’t work with TV properly either makes it reboot. I wish I could send it back to them :-)

You do know “encouraging” is not a gun to the head, right? Of all the policies to complain about, you pick one that encourages recycling?  First world problems indeed. :rolling_eyes:

You see it as encouraging recycling and I see it as encouraging waste. So I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Sadly though it's not a first world problem. Just a world problem.

I don’t seen how the Sonos tradeup program is a problem for the world.  Are you saying the volume of Sonos speakers that are recycled instead of used is going to have a significant impact on the environment?  Or maybe suggesting that the program is going to encourage people to recycle instead of reuse in general...and that’s going to damage the environment in a noticeable way?

Man I wish I had the kind of time you people do to argue about dumb stuff like this.  I was just trying to find the answer to my question about how to get around the deactivation of my connect so I could resell it in order to re-coop some of the outrageous amount of money that the Ports cost.  Get jobs sheeple.  Then no one will have to waste time reading your dumb, irrelevant arguments. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At any rate people poo hoo’d my post that this would happen and I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Anyway most of their modern stuff is tinny subpar mono speakers that are no substitute for even a stereo system from the 1970s which would eat them for breakfast in terms of sound quality.

The ZP’s leverage off your existing systems - the new stuff are just glorified Amazon echos or whatever you call them. Pathetic toys.

Man I wish I had the kind of time you people do to argue about dumb stuff like this.  I was just trying to find the answer to my question about how to get around the deactivation of my connect so I could resell it in order to re-coop some of the outrageous amount of money that the Ports cost.  Get jobs sheeple.  Then no one will have to waste time reading your dumb, irrelevant arguments. 

You do realize that you are replying to months old posts that do not even apply today, since the “recycle” program that bricked the old devices is no longer in effect?

At any rate people poo hoo’d I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Didn’t poo hoo it at all.  I personally said it was inevitable, so you spiking the ball means nothing.

Anyway most of their modern stuff is tinny subpar mono speakers that are no substitute for even a stereo system from the 1970s which would eat them for breakfast in terms of sound quality.

And yet you bought them, and signed up for an internet forum to talk about them.  :laughing:

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

At any rate the people poo hoo’d my post that this would happen and I just posted this stuff to say I told you so. 

Didn’t poo hoo it at all.  I personally said it was inevitable, so you spiking the ball means nothing.

And yet you bought them, and signed up for an internet forum to talk about them.  :laughing:

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsequential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsiquential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

So you’ve not heard them in the home but know how they sound?  Hot take, man.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

No I didn’t - I bought a sound bar for an inconsiquential  bedroom TV and the ZP’s (these so called legacy devices) use my Stereo systems. I don’t have Sonos Ones etc.

So you’ve not heard them in the home but know how they sound?  Hot take, man.

Haha - I have heard the Sonos Beam and I know how much air the tiny little speakers move. It’s physics. They do an impersonation of larger speakers only.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

grazey I’m missing what Sonos is forcing you to do?

Everything I have seen on the Trade-Up program is optional and voluntary. What am I missing?

Sonos is t forcing me - yet, but it is coming. They are a company I no longer trust. You completely evaded the points I actually did make such as the aim of controlling the market, turning customers into cash cows, the fact that its not ethical to brick tech that works. 

I didn’t evade. I ignored your opinions - not points, as points have facts behind them, opinions have feelings.

no you ignored my feelings based on facts. Sonos seeking to control the market is a fact backed up by experience. Sonos killing me using my iphone is a fact, not an opinion. Perhaps you are not capable of producing a coherent argument? 

Other than enforcing their patents which is perfectly reasonable what is Sonos doing to control the market?

Why are you blaming Sonos for Apple dropping support for their older devices? Apple should follow Sonos’ path and keep their old stuff working, like my 13 year old ZP.

So I’ll wait patiently for your facts now.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

You do know “encouraging” is not a gun to the head, right? Of all the policies to complain about, you pick one that encourages recycling?  First world problems indeed. :rolling_eyes:

You see it as encouraging recycling and I see it as encouraging waste. So I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Sadly though it's not a first world problem. Just a world problem.

I don’t seen how the Sonos tradeup program is a problem for the world.  Are you saying the volume of Sonos speakers that are recycled instead of used is going to have a significant impact on the environment?  Or maybe suggesting that the program is going to encourage people to recycle instead of reuse in general...and that’s going to damage the environment in a noticeable way?

Dumb!

Ha ha, "re-coop".

:-)

I also see it as a bit of a stupidity test as well to be honest. 

Who in their right mind would gladly agree to buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

There is no requirement that you trade in for the current version of the device your are recycling.  For example, you can trade in a Connect ($350) for a playbar+sub package (1400).  The 30% discount is actually greater than the original price of the Connect.

Userlevel 4
Badge

I also see it as a bit of a stupidity test as well to be honest. 

Who in their right mind would gladly agree to buy a new device to replace the one they already have (and still works) and agree to let Sonos brick there old one at the same time so they can’t sell it. 

🤔🤔

There is no requirement that you trade in for the current version of the device your are recycling.  For example, you can trade in a Connect ($350) for a playbar+sub package (1400).  The 30% discount is actually greater than the original price of the Connect.

Yeah I know but I’d rather keep the thing I have and then wait for frequent sales where you can buy a Sonos device for 30% off anyway (or close to anyway). 

That way I have more. There is no advantage to their offer nor is it acceptable either to be honest.

Userlevel 2

Could you trade a Z80 in for a Beam or does it have to be for an equivalent bit of kit?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Let’s be honest here. Sonos just wants to kill the second hand market. The 30% discount is so that when you upgrade,  someone else also buys new instead of your second hand. Sonos wants to shorten the replacement cycle and kill the second hand market. It’s about $$$.

I read someone saying that 5ghz support was important. Are you kidding me? 5ghz is only short range, it doesn’t go through walls and is only useful for very high bandwith applications. Not audio and certainly not the lo-fi audio Sonos transmits.

There is no reason to stimulate the trading in of my connect:amp for example. It works perfectly and really needs no more updates or anything really. What are you going to add? I bought it to power my built-in bathroom speakers and control it wirelessly, that’s what it does and i don’t need other functionality. There is no functional update that Sonos can give the new AMP that will cause me to switch.

From my perspective, they don’t need to further update the Sonos app either.

How about these technological pioneers add DTS support to their home cinema stuff?

Danny (melvimbe) thanks for taking the time to read and respond.  Sure, I hope it was obvious some of my comments were inferences and I think (well hope) you’d agree some of your responses are opinions too, and quite slighted to Sonos’ favour.  (And no, I’m not saying that’s a bad thing - I’ve been there.)

I appreciate the civil debate.  I don’t want to say your opinions or mine are slanted one direction or the other.  I think we are both attempting to be objective, even when it comes to things that can’t be clearly stated as fact and require some opinion.

And apologize for this post appearing possibly difficult to read.  The quoting feature on this forum isn’t that great.  I did remove comments I had nothing to comment on.

Sonos have claimed that in the FAQ of the Trade-Up program that, “because all our products are part of a system, older ones may affect the performance of newer ones”.  This is a clear indication that you need to trade up.  I was pointing out, only, that an argument along the lines of “this was designed 10 years ago” doesn’t hold much water when it was being sold as current just over a year ago.  And as I mentioned the connect:amp is still being sold as a “last chance” on the Sonos website.

The performance issue I’m aware of is the wireless connectivity, since Sonos net is a net involving all the units in your system.    In that regard, it’s a chain that’s only as strong as it’s weakest link.  There are some features that available on certain products, but I’m not aware of how old products limit features on new products.

That’s kinda pedantic – I’m referring to 30% of the value of an appropriate “current” device.  Your math goes a bit awry – eg if I trade-in a connect:amp and use the 30% off a Sonos One that’s a significantly lower value.  I’m saying the kit you bought (possibly) just  over a year ago is worth 30% of its replacement – that’s the number the sticks and any other scenarios about buying a new product that isn’t representative of the old lead to a range of values.  Should we take a median?

I’m looking at the value from a individuals perspective, where your trade in value does change depending on how you use it.    I agree that trading in a Connect:amp for a Sonos One gives it lower value and is not a good deal, unless the person trading doesn’t want to go through the effort to trade on ebay or what have you...and believe they won’t ever want to use the trade in for a higher priced product.  For me personally, I am holding out a trade in value (on a Connect) for nothing less that a $700 product that I want.  Even then, I don’t know that I’d use it if there is a near 30% off sale currently, which I believe is the case with upcoming black friday sales.  I also have a Connect:amp in service that I use regularly, and have no plans on replacing with a Sonos Amp.  I don’t see the value in it right now.

I get your point though that, if someone is currently using their Connect:Amp, the likely replacement would be the Sonos Amp.  There are many though that have unused products they want to trade up (as I do) or will decide to get a Sonos Amp and Sonos sub, for example, using 30% off the sub.  Again, how an individual uses, the trade in, and their personal tolerance for reselling a unit as an option, is going to dictate what the value of the trade in is.

I think disallowing stacking is very poor.  If I give up two of my existing end-of-life products, why can’t I get a bigger discount on the item I choose in their place?  I lost two things here. 

Note I use the predicate “I think” in giving that opinion.

You don’t have to trade in both your products.  Only trade in one if you want one new product.  Save the other for the next product you may want to buy.   It sounds like you’re assuming that your old product will be de-supportted and you’ll be forced to buy new effectively.  This isn’t the case currently.  In my opinion, even if that were the case, I don’t know that Sonos has any obligation to offer compensation whatsoever for the older products.  Product bought within the last couple years is different, but again, nothing is being de-supportted right now, so it’s purely hypothetical.

Supporting old kit is just a real pain; I think Sonos have actually been pretty honourable in this regard up to now, actually. 

I’d prefer to see them offer a proper incentive and then switch off that old kit – do it properly, not cheaply.  Which is what I think this is.

Old kit is still supported and hasn’t changed.  How are you concluding that support that was honorable no longer is?  If we make the assumption that Sonos is going to stop support for the  ZP players,  Connect:amp, and Connect at this time next year (not a good assumption IMO), the I would agree that a blanket 30% is not a good incentive/return for those that just bout a new product a month ago.  I get that you’re predicting something like that scenario is going to happen.  I withhold judgement till it actually does.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Danny (melvimbe) thanks again.  I hear you with formatting answers for individual responses so won't this time.  Also I do understand where you’re coming from and don’t want to make this forum tennis, boring so many others with over-defensive responses, so (hopefully) won’t.

The performance issue I’m aware of is the wireless connectivity, since Sonos net is a net involving all the units in your system.    In that regard, it’s a chain that’s only as strong as it’s weakest link.  There are some features that available on certain products, but I’m not aware of how old products limit features on new products

Yep I read that too.  But still the quote is from the FAQ on the Trade-Up details, that “because all our products are part of a system, older ones may affect the performance of newer ones”.  That’s Sonos, not me.

where your trade in value does change depending on how you use it. 

Sure, with the 30% thing you can create all sorts of interesting  possibilities - eg trade-in a Connect:amp for 30% of a Sonos One.  That would be a rubbish trade-in.  My point is, to avoid going into a land of weird maths it might be reasonable to assume the “normal” trade-up is like-for-like; ie I’d  give up a Sonos Play:5 gen 1 in order to get a gen 2.  In other words, a comparative price-point.  As you say, you could gain an above average discount, or as I say a below average one too.  (Can we say that sorta evens out?)

You don’t have to trade in both your products.  Only trade in one if you want one new product.  Save the other for the next product you may want to buy. I t sounds like you’re assuming that your old product will be de-supportted and you’ll be forced to buy new effectively …. (etc)

I keep coming back to this but it is important.  Sonos (not me) said: “because all our products are part of a system, older ones may affect the performance of newer ones”.  They also say,  The memory and technology of your device has reached maturation and has a limited lifespan.“  This is in the FAQ on the trade-up page.  And it does sound like writing on the wall...

… which actually I get and don’t particularly have a problem with.  It is a proper pain  having to support so diverse an ecosystem, and I’m sure Sonos would like to move on from those  10-year designs.  And, probably, in a good way - eg two networks without impacting new kit on a new protocol.  But if I have multiple items that are viable for trade-up (I have 4) I’d like  to limit my losses with embracing change within reason, eg allowing a max of two to stack for 60% or just offering a better trade-up discount, possibly even banded by when I bought them.

All the best to you Danny and thanks for the interesting point of view

Simon (senecan)

Recycling the older products is a condition of the agreement for receiving the discount, and recycling locally is more eco-friendly and sustainable than packing up and shipping back to us. According to the terms and conditions of the program outlined here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/tradeup-terms Emphasis added to the specific note.

[quote]

PRODUCT RECYCLING

ISSUANCE OF THE DISCOUNT CREDIT IS YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE CONSIDERATION FOR PLACING YOUR SONOS PRODUCT IN RECYCLE MODE. ONCE YOU HAVE INITIATED THE RECYCLING PROCESS AND RECEIVED YOUR DISCOUNT CREDIT IN THE “MY ACCOUNT” SECTION OF SONOS.COM, YOU SHOULD FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS IN THE TRADE UP TAB OF THE “MY ACCOUNT” SECTION TO SHIP YOUR PRODUCT BACK TO SONOS OR DELIVER THE PRODUCT TO A CERTIFIED ELECTRONICS RECYCLER FOLLOWING DEACTIVATION OF THE PRODUCT.

ONCE YOU HAVE INITIATED THE RECYCLING PROCESS, YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WILL NO LONGER BE USABLE. BY PARTICIPATING IN THE TRADE UP PROGRAM, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WILL NO LONGER FUNCTION AS A SPEAKER OR NETWORK DEVICE AND DISCLAIM ANY WARRANTIES RELATED TO THE SONOS PRODUCT, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, WITH RESPECT TO YOUR SONOS PRODUCTS, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT AND THE IMPLIED CONDITION OF SATISFACTORY QUALITY. YOU AGREE THAT YOU WILL SHIP YOUR PRODUCT BACK TO SONOS OR RECYCLE YOUR SONOS PRODUCT WITH A CERTIFIED ELECTRONICS RECYCLER WITHIN TWENTY-ONE DAYS OF INITIATION OF THE RECYCLING PROCESS.

[/quote]

There are also retailers that are participating in this program. They handle the process slightly differently, but they are also required to recycle the products responsibly, per our agreement with them.

This is all bollocks and you know it,its just a con trick to disable customers old speakers, like you have done with my 4 sonos 5’s while i looked at the email. Then you said you would not reverse the enquiry into Trade up scheme and shut them down. It’s a three card trick we see performed on the street. You should be ashamed, it will catch up with you and your company. If you are from UK it is the equivalent to Ratners and look what happened to them.Boom.

Yep I read that too.  But still the quote is from the FAQ on the Trade-Up details, that “because all our products are part of a system, older ones may affect the performance of newer ones”.  That’s Sonos, not me.

I think we could both agree that it’s not a very clear statement in that FAQ.  “Performance” is too vague.  I think it only refers to network performance, but I can’t say that for sure since I don’t know what I don’t know.  And I can’t say it doesn’t leave room open for interpretation.

Sure, with the 30% thing you can create all sorts of interesting  possibilities - eg trade-in a Connect:amp for 30% of a Sonos One.  That would be a rubbish trade-in.  My point is, to avoid going into a land of weird maths it might be reasonable to assume the “normal” trade-up is like-for-like; ie I’d  give up a Sonos Play:5 gen 1 in order to get a gen 2.  In other words, a comparative price-point.  As you say, you could gain an above average discount, or as I say a below average one too.  (Can we say that sorta evens out?)

I think we are on the same page here as far as what the discount is.  I just don’t want to say 30% off means $120 (or whatever the median or average means), even though it may be pedantic because I’ve see generalities taken to be exacts in my experience on these forums.    I think it’s important to be clear.  There was another post here today where a guy was thinking his $300 original purchase price resulted in $30 off a new product.  Besides his math off, the original cost of purchase price is irrelevant.

I keep coming back to this but it is important.  Sonos (not me) said: “because all our products are part of a system, older ones may affect the performance of newer ones”.  They also say,  The memory and technology of your device has reached maturation and has a limited lifespan.“  This is in the FAQ on the trade-up page.  And it does sound like writing on the wall…

If the writing was on the wall, it was already there before this program came about. I see this as Sonos trying to ease transition for customers with older products into new ones.  Marketing probably also wishes this would push people to buy several new products.

Kind of an aside, but using myself as a customer, I’ve had several mental roadblocks to buying into Sonos through the years.  I liked the product a couple years before I bought anything, but couldn’t pull the trigger until they came with the smart app.  $400 for the CR100 controller was too much for me.  And I also didn’t see the point in buying speakers, I bought the Connect and Connect:amp only. I had my own speakers I wanted to use.  I don’t think I ever would have bought any ever I hadn’t gotten a playbar+sub_2 play:3s as part of the deal when I bout my current house about 4 years ago.  And I didn’t buy a Sonos One until it had been out for a year, as I felt having separate echos was good enough (still do in some cases).  Anyway, point being that sometimes customers can get ‘stuck’ in settling from what they have, and a little push to make the transition to new products is needed.  (And not saying there is something wrong for just keeping what you have)

… which actually I get and don’t particularly have a problem with.  It is a proper pain  having to support so diverse an ecosystem, and I’m sure Sonos would like to move on from those  10-year designs.  And, probably, in a good way - eg two networks without impacting new kit on a new protocol.  But if I have multiple items that are viable for trade-up (I have 4) I’d like  to limit my losses with embracing change within reason, eg allowing a max of two to stack for 60% or just offering a better trade-up discount, possibly even banded by when I bought them.

I can agree that it’s a judgement call on how much trade discount Sonos should offer.  Personally, 30% isn’t quite enough for me to move on some of my units, while I would have moved for 20% on others.

All the best to you Danny and thanks for the interesting point of view

Simon (senecan)

Likewise.  Refreshing conversation.

Badge +2

What’s going to happen is we’ll see these ‘bricked’ units being sold through 3rd-party channels, like Ebay etc…  The market will be flooded with ‘as-is, for parts or repair’ units that have nothing physically wrong with them, but cannot be used.   Unsuspecting buyers (who may have had previous experience buying such units and getting them to work) will be flooding Sonos tech support only to find out their serial number has been permanently blacklisted.   Used Sonos has an unusually high resale value (which points to how much people really enjoy these products!)    Tanking that market will not necessarily result in more sales of new units for them, IMO...

Atlanta non bias veiw 

So I've owned a connect amp and play 5 gen1 for awhile now that I picked up at a yard sale. Been serving me well and like my used inexpensive hottub and headset, if they broke today, I would be replacing them tomorrow. I've come to realize I can't live without them.

First world problems!

So my amp acts up a little and thinking it's a dead stick, I call Sonos, get an option of a replacement for $350. Something to consider and cheaper than new model at $600. Hit or miss finding one used. Managed to get up and running again by blowing it out and resetting it, but realizing there is a life expectancy!

I think like many people, I look around my house and see old cell phones, speakers, DVD player. Hell 2 tablets, an old PC, a 2 Gig iPod, and a 21" LCD monitor. 

Now they all work, but some are obsolete, a few are old technology unable to keep up, and some have just been replaced to have the bigger, latest and greatest!

Unlike an old TV or receiver that physically outdates due to connection issues, eg. Cables and or Bluetooth capabilities, the Sonos speakers never required anymore than an update to keep them current. But I'm still thinking about the life expectancy. 

So when Sonos offers a trade up for 30% off. I have to consider the offer for what it is. I can gamble that my amp will last another 2-5 years, or bet it will die in the next year. Either way, it's my choice. A nice sale available for the next three months to think about unrushed is attractive. Now I've found when you're working all the time, you don't have time to spend money, let alone deal with selling things you no longer need. Hence the items mentioned above. (I did recycle my old CRT door stop several years back) So when I do spend money, convenience and saving a buck is something I jump on. Otherwise I'm one of those less fortunate people your wanting to give your old unit to, but can't.

I may trade up to a new amp for Christmas before the old one dies, have the latest and greatest with a Two year warranty ( by using my credit card) while saving $180.00. Nice deal! If it dies tonight, I'm paying full price. And with all the talk about recycling, it may be the push I need to gather up all those things, load up the car and finally dispose of them properly.

Let's face it, you look out for you first. If you want a new amp, sell your old one for a profit (or give it away.) Buy a new one at the present cost, and see how you make out. Chances are it will be a financial decision. Sonos trade up offer (or lack of)will make no difference to you.

I don't see this being the downfall of the company, they will come out just fine. Might even raise the used speaker price due to less availability. Win-Win!

Or you can weigh your options and take advantage of a trade up, betting you will only do it if there is personal and financial gain. Or just enjoy what you have and in four or five years gain some bragging rights about choosing Sonos quality speakers that last longer than the import your driving.

So take it, leave it, but talking about it and complaining about it has no value and definitely has nothing to gain from it.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. if you've been dropping your old phones in the donation box. Bringing your old items to Goodwill, I commend you! Best intentions here, usually. But I do keep a clear conscience knowing at least a little bit of my taxes go to help others, I think! I hope! But definitely recycle everything you can, eventually. That's 100% on you!

I got the “trade up” right from the Sonos site hyperlinked from there Email.  Says $279.30 after Trade Up.

Userlevel 2
Badge

The so called “Connect Amp” has two different models, one of which is obsolete under this program, one is not. At the time when the hardware got rev’d there was a mix of the two Connect Amps in the marketplace, a person could have purchased one of each and inadvertently ended up with an end of life product. I’d call that false advertising, or some sort of violation of consumer laws.

Badge +2

I have a Gen 1 Play 5 that qualifies for the trade up program. First I would like to thank Sonos for such an offer , no other companies really do this. That said if I were to trade up I would like to go to a new play 5. Problem is Gen 1 came out in 2009 and eol at least for new software is May 2020. Play 5 Gen 2 came out Nov 2015. We are now 2020 so that makes it already about 4 and 1/4 years into its life cycle. Thus perhaps it would last another 7 years before it is slated for doomsday.  For this reason I won’t spend money at this time.  Sure I could buy one of the other speakers, but value wise my play 5 gen 1 still sounds great . It sounds better than the play one, it plays equally as well as the move does (IMO). Even has a carry handle  when I take it to my deck. My wish right now is that Sonos gives the Play 5 gen 2 some love in the form of an upgrade.  Then I may upgrade with confidence. Other than that it may be time for me to move on. 

Imagine a car manufacturer bricks your car and it is only 4 years old, that would suck. If Sonos doesn’t go through with this new program. Can I get my Play5 reactivated for a fee, since I purchased new speakers only because they said they would not update the speakers anymore. That would be a good idea.

The so called “Connect Amp” has two different models, one of which is obsolete under this program, one is not. At the time when the hardware got rev’d there was a mix of the two Connect Amps in the marketplace, a person could have purchased one of each and inadvertently ended up with an end of life product. I’d call that false advertising, or some sort of violation of consumer laws.

How?  There was no advertising about end of support life at all during the time of purchase, except for probably something about Sonos having the right to drop support at any time or a certain time.  Both amps in your example would be covered under your scenario.  At the very least it would not matter that one is continuing support and one is not.  You might have a case if the devices you bought listed the tech specs of the device, and one of the devices didn’t meet that spec.  But Sonos doesn’t release that information.

I’m not saying you have to be happy about this situation.  I’m just not seeing how your scenario results in any unique kind of grievance.