Trade up scheme

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

This is not only “not adding value” you are “taking away value” we have already purchased.

I hate this. 

If you do this to me I will never buy another product from you.

I have been a massive promoter, but if you break my stuff for no reason, I will become a massive demoter. Deliberately breaking a persons’s hardware with software is unethical.

This is the wrong direction to go in. If I had stock, I would be selling it. 

I am 100% with sjoop1985 - this is wasteful and “a bridge too far.”  

As someone whom has spent literally thousands of dollars on Sonos equipment I am so angry.  I am not able to express how angry.

So far I own:

• Connect AMP
  • Connect
  • Bridge X 2
  • Beam
  • Sonos Play3 (Gen 1) X 6
  • Sonos Play5 (Gen 1)
  • Sonos One (with mic)
  • Sonos One (no airplay)

You should be delighting me, making want to buy another thing, and move on, not filling me with rage.

:-(

Tori & Jeff

If concessions are made (the 30% discount) it’s an attempt to compensate those impacted.  

It’s semantics at this point.

Yea, I can agree to that.

I agree they botched it.  It’s all in the way the message is presented.  If they said, “hey everybody, we’ve been doing some big things that we would like to roll out our new S2 platform but we have an issue that would affect our legacy equipment which are just not powerful enough to run S2.  We’re considering these options so we can all be on one platform, 1,2,3 let us know what you think.  

Again, just thoughts.

I don’t think Sonos really could have put this to a vote, the reality is that Sonos has competition to deal with and needs to appeal to new and current customers...and current customers don’t have to consider this.  But perhaps they could have done some testing of the messaging to get a better idea of the best way to communicate.

What I take out of this whole thread and this trade in scheme is that Sonos are now planning on end of lifting the Play 5 and Connect:Amp. 

As someone who has already been burnt by Sonos bricking product, why on earth would you think I would want to buy more of it?!?

Well, quite…  

I’m used to consider my phone as a device to update every two or three years, and my computers, my printer and so on.

But I consider my HiFi should last a bit more. Moreover, I would like to be able to decide by myself when is a good time to replace all my sonos devices and not being forced to change them at a time.

Time ago, Ubiquiti did a big change between their first and second generation cameras and the third one. They made a special offer of 50% discount to replace the old cameras by new ones. That was a good offer, and if you didn’t want to change your cameras you they allowed you to continue using them with a concrete NVR sofware on your server. It was a nice offer and at my job, we decided to change a lot of really_old cameras by really_new with high improvements in resolution (that’s the most important thing in a camera). We’re still happy Ubiquiti customers and I still recommend Ubiquiti products. In fact, after that I decided to buy Ubiquiti cameras for my home. That's what I spect of a good company that sells tecnology.

I hope Sonos will think about and gives a solution for their customers, otherwise I believe they will have a problem.

Regards,

Manuel Martínez

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Before you go to commit to the Trade Up there’s a link for the terms & conditions. I suggest you read them. Basically for each product you recycle Sonos is offering a discount on any other Sonos product. Once the credit is applied, your view of the prices in the Sonos web store would change accordingly. There’s no “you should replace X with Y”. 

In any event if your products are working fine you may perfectly well choose to continue with them.

Whilst not a bad answer (the last point especially) I inadvertently marked this as the best answer. To be honest , I didn't even know it was an option , can it be undone or we stuck with it? Ta!

Badge

Yeah sounds good.

If concessions are made (the 30% discount) it’s an attempt to compensate those impacted.  

It’s semantics at this point.

Yea, I can agree to that.

I agree they botched it.  It’s all in the way the message is presented.  If they said, “hey everybody, we’ve been doing some big things that we would like to roll out our new S2 platform but we have an issue that would affect our legacy equipment which are just not powerful enough to run S2.  We’re considering these options so we can all be on one platform, 1,2,3 let us know what you think.  

Again, just thoughts.

I don’t think Sonos really could have put this to a vote, the reality is that Sonos has competition to deal with and needs to appeal to new and current customers...and current customers don’t have to consider this.  But perhaps they could have done some testing of the messaging to get a better idea of the best way to communicate.

that was my hypothetical, I don't really care that much.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I unmarked the answer. And also swapped this thread into a conversation instead of a question, it’s not really the type of thread that gets a “best answer” which solves it.

Thanks Ryan! 

Userlevel 2

Ryan S, it would be nice if you could confirm that Sonos aren’t intending to brick more product.

I’ll make it easier for you, how about just confirming that Sonos aren’t proposing to brick products eligible for this discount in the next 18 months?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos rarely gives advanced notice, if Ryan leaks we may see him outside Starbucks with a cardboard “Hungry” sign.

Userlevel 2

Sonos rarely gives advanced notice, if Ryan leaks we may see him outside Starbucks with a cardboard “Hungry” sign.

Just a denial would suffice

Badge

Thanks for advice everyone. Am going to keep current stuff and fingers crossed they don't make it redundant ...

This is not only “not adding value” you are “taking away value” we have already purchased.

I hate this. 

If you do this to me I will never buy another product from you.

I have been a massive promoter, but if you break my stuff for no reason, I will become a massive demoter. Deliberately breaking a persons’s hardware with software is unethical.

This is the wrong direction to go in. If I had stock, I would be selling it. 

I am 100% with sjoop1985 - this is wasteful and “a bridge too far.”  

As someone whom has spent literally thousands of dollars on Sonos equipment I am so angry.  I am not able to express how angry.

So far I own:

• Connect AMP
  • Connect
  • Bridge X 2
  • Beam
  • Sonos Play3 (Gen 1) X 6
  • Sonos Play5 (Gen 1)
  • Sonos One (with mic)
  • Sonos One (no airplay)

You should be delighting me, making want to buy another thing, and move on, not filling me with rage.

:-(

Tori & Jeff

The power to break hardware with software is the new reality. But it’s wrong.

And it is a reality that must be resisted, by both manufacturers and consumers.

As much as I have loved my Sonos system until now, if you really do this, I won’t buy another thing from you. I don’t care if my Sonos system completely stops working. My utter powerlessness in this situation makes my resolve stronger. Be advised, I have posted my first #SonosSucks social media post. 

It’s just sad. They are just adding “planned obsolescence” into what was once a great product. 

Which is not easy to do, because if you accidentally update your App on your mobile device, it will immediately demand you update your speakers and do nothing else until you do.  This is the annoying aspect of Sonos, which almost no other update system employs.  I’d happily just not update, but Sonos makes it unnecessarily difficult to not update.

If they made it easy, they would be acting in a proactive way, and they’d have to support it.  Unfortunately, that is not technically (in the case of iOS) or financially possible.  On top of that, by the very definition, Sonos users locked at one release are eventually going to have a useless system (except possibly local libraries) and are very unlikely to ever purchase again.  

How about how misleading the process is in your app and that it activates without real confirmation. I was looking to see what it was and I mistakenly activated it for my 2 Play5’s. So I called support to cancel and they said they would cancel the exchange. Well that didn’t happen and now support tells me to talk to sales. Sales does not ever answer a call or email. 

Once a happy customer with a lot of products now very frustrated.

I own 2 play5, 2 sub, 2 play bar, 1 sound bar and 2 play 1s

I am thinking of selling them as once push comes to shove and. you need service they are not there.

Has anyone experienced this and able to cancel a trade-in?

Thanks

Seems odd to me. When I went through the process, during the time that Sonos was requiring the ‘bricking’ of the traded in device, I recall at least three, if not four pop up warnings about the consequences of my actions.  Are you saying you didn’t see these? Or did you not read them? Or not believe them? 

For me, it was annoying. I knew what I was doing, I wanted fewer pop ups warning me about the fact that my devices would no longer be usable. 

Yes, now I’m unhappy that I took the decision when I did, and didn’t wait it out. On the other hand, I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. I took the decision based on the information available at the time. I read the warning pop ups that Sonos put in my way, but for me, it was an end to get to the 30% discount. 

I’m sorry you’re upset with Sonos about this. I wish there was something that could be done to recover your two PLAY;5s, because then I could recover mine (if I hadn’t already recycled it, per the instructions Sonos gave). 

Had both of us waited a bit longer, then we’d both be much happier. I just don’t think that there’s an opportunity to change what has already happened. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Note, there will not be any change in current functionality for the legacy devices, they will just stop getting software updates. They will continue to work. You are not being forced to buy new equipment. 

That’s not true. We’ve seen recently that you now need v10.4 to control speakers via the Spotify app. In 6 months time, Spotify may need v10.7 to run, which legacy devices will not get.

Wrong thread.