Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

The big disappointment for me is that I just wanted to be able to say to google “play 96FM on home group” and have it play on all my sonos speakers throughout the house like I use to do with all my google speakers but sonos cant even be bothered to support this on their own speakers. Can’t  have sonos voice and google assistant running at the same time so cant even use the sonos voice command to bring the music into a room because i have to choose between the voice systems if I choose sonos then the rest of my home automation doesn’t work. Sonos know exactly what they are doing here this is a gigantic marketing scam, for the price I have paid for sonos equipment I feel completely ripped off how can I recommend Sonos to anyone when the basics are not there? 

Are you sure about the bolded?  Because I have both Alexa and Sonos Voice running on my system and it works just fine.  So if Google and Sonos Voice cannot coexist, it would logically follow that it is a limitation imposed by Google, not Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wow doom and gloom.  Sonos are doing very well with year on year growth and I can see them maintaining a healthy market share.  Can’t see Apple buying them as there is no technology Sonos has that Apple would want for their core products, which is the normal reason they buy companies.

Being able to group and play a common source across different speaker manufacturers with different software and communications protocols is a headache I can’t see any of the players in the market trying to resolve.

Another disappointed new arc/sub owner checking in here.  Given that Google integration is advertised it is frustrating that the capabilities are limited.  For a premium product I would expect better.  I'll be reconsidering my purchase for a JBL system

Well I think this may explain a lot of the seemingly-inexplicable missing features within the GA-Sonos ‘integration’. As I suspected it’s nothing to do with any technical limitations.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/8/21056198/sonos-google-statement-lawsuit-ces-reaction-big-tech

I don’t think the recent news really changes much of what I said above.  Although Google may have used some of Sonos tech to do their multiroom audio, they are still not the exact same protocols.  I don’t think the lawsuit is really going to change much as far as this goes.

As far as other missing features, it’s hard to say whether Google didn’t want to give those features, Sonos didn’t want to implement and maintain them, or the Sonos hardware just couldn’t do the required processing.

It is too bad that after 2 years since this topic, still I can't sync my Sonos speaker with my Google home speaker. Disappointed. Do you have any update? Google or Alexa are able to group with Sonos?

Indeed, Sonos has been doing very well, but thats because they havent had any real competition in the smart speaker market, but that has also changed with more brands making their own. And once the big three start making their own line of decent speakers that can match or even out perform the sonos speakers it wont be easy for Sonos to keep up, mainly as they dont have a smart home system with voice assistance.

And even if Sonos were to try building their own smart home system, like so many others (yes Im looking at you Samsung), I feel that train left a long time ago and I just dont see them ever compete with the big three.

And as you say, the integration between the systems are very complex and will cost too much time and money to develop and relies heavily on a sold long term relationship that rarely last. (Sony Ericsson is a good example)

It is just my opinion but for the long term future as we see it develop today I just dont see Sonos maintaining its position as just a solid smart speaker for very long.

One idea for sonos would be to drop their own software, put that money into R&D to build even better speakers and beg the big three to help develop a true integration software using their platforms, paying them a royalty.. And maybe, just maybe they are lucky one of the three will say yes, but I doubt it as the they are already on their way to out perform them in hardware anyway..

I think it would be good if some of those complaining on this thread could get one thing straight in their heads: Sonos do not make speakers.  They make whole home wireless audio systems.  It’s an all or nothing sort of thing.  You either buy into it or not.  If you don’t, then that’s OK.  But please don’t complain that your misguided attempts to combine two different ecosystems have not been successful.

Just bought a Sonos Beam, two Ikea speakers and consider buying the Sonos Sub. I know noticed that I cannot add the Sonos Speakers (or in my case the speaker group) to Google Home groups. I also cannot control the speaker throught the Google Home app (pause, next and volume).

This is unaccaptable… Both my Lenovo Smart Clock and my JBL Link are able to do this and they cost a fraction of what Sonos costs. I am still in my return period and might actually make use of it as this…

I just bought a few thousand dollars of sonos speakers and subs. 2 full theater sets and an extra gen2 One to replace a bedroom assistant. I'm about to pack up the lot of them and return. Because I set up one in my bedroom and I can't integrate it with the existing speaker groups. So....., no sonos I'm not happy. I find it to be an underhanded attempt to sell more speakers and I don't want your speakers if I can't say "ok Google, play x on all speakers" or "play the latest news on all speakers". I also suspect I won't be able to run my morning routine on your speakers either. This is a really stupid place to dig in. Either allow full integration or go back to being "dumb" speaks, stop with the infuriating half measure. My opinion of sonos has always been "smart" bose. But if you don't get with the program your going to get left behind or at least you won't get any more of my money. 

Couldn’t have put it better myself - seems like they have omitted a basic feature and it is very frustrating for people with Sonos speakers and very much into the Google ecosystem. Question is do you slowly switch to the Apple ecosystem or slowly switch the Sonos speakers for alternative high-end speakers (which are more Google Cast friendly)?

Apple ecosystem?  In this context, do you mean airplay?

Yes. Airplay 2 is fully supported.

Makes sense. It’s a fine piece of hardware & I’m tempted to hold onto it... especially as no “TV soundbar company” is building one that seems to pair nicely into Google Groups (for now.)

Hopefully someone fully in the Sonos ecosystem will get it as I can see a lot of love and effort went into the engineering. It’s sad to see it sit mostly unused when the rest of my house plays music 🙃

Yes it is. But the history is that Sonos invented wireless multiroom audio and the model is still 'all or nothing '. 

Whether that model continues to be viable remains to be seen.  I think it has lots of life in it yet,  but only time will tell. 

Yes we'll, people want wireless smart home more than wireless whole home audio. If I can't get full integration from sonos because they are to proud to do so then they won't have a place in my "smart" home for long. The Google assistant and cast button are too convenient. Having to use the clunky sonos app is an inconvenient and unnecessary step. I want to open YouTube or YouTube music and cast whatever I want. Not jump through sonoses nonsense outdated platform.i want to be able to integrate them into my existing platform, not be forced to buy a whole new one. The speakers are great and would probably be my go to every time I want a new one or want to upgrade audio in a room. But seeing that I'm unable to use them the way I want to, only the way sonos wants me to. Fine they will be returned. I payed for them, they are mine. Let me use them the way I want or you can have them back. If sonos fan boys want to keep using the sonos app, that's fine more power to them. I don't,  I guess the bottom line is I'll have to spend my money elsewhere.

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your scenario properly, but I don't know see why you would ever have to do any walking to another room as you describe, unless you don't have an GA compatible speakers in the living room at all.

If you have a Sonos One or a Beam in your living room, you can enable it for GA and then say "hey google, play x" to that device.. If you have have Google home speaker in your living room, then you say hey google, play x in my Living Room” to that device. If you don't have any GA device in your living around, there is no feature that would prevent you from having to walk to another room to give a voice command.

Wish I had found this thread earlier, just got one of those Ikea Sonos speakers yesterday, had issues connecting to my Google WiFi (no other device has ever had issues with that), to the Google home account and after I tried this morning and finally added the speaker to Google home... I can't play anything on it from Google home and can't add them to the same group. One thing I hate about companies are walled gardens, just like apple and I think Sonos is walking in their footsteps. I guess I'll stick with my 10 years old Logitech z2300 connected to Google audio, sounds great even after all these years. Gonna return the Sonos piece of junk. 

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.

Perhaps I'm not understanding your scenario properly, but I don't know see why you would ever have to do any walking to another room as you describe, unless you don't have an GA compatible speakers in the living room at all.

If you have a Sonos One or a Beam in your living room, you can enable it for GA and then say "hey google, play x" to that device.. If you have have Google home speaker in your living room, then you say hey google, play x in my Living Room” to that device. If you don't have any GA device in your living around, there is no feature that would prevent you from having to walk to another room to give a voice command.

The ability to group Google assistant speakers means you can play the same audio source synchronized in Multiple rooms at the same time. 

Like others I am extremely disappointed that Sonos and/or Google hasn’t resolved this issue with grouping speakers (Sonos One’s and Beam’s with Google/Nest speakers). This clearly is a feature that everyone has expected and want with the Google assistant integration.

It has been some months now, since the original post was created and we as the customers still have no insight to whether this feature is being worked on or not, it would be great if Sonos could at least comment on whether it was in development and/or something that is never going to happen. From there it will give us the ability to decide if we should invest in a fully integrated OR part integration with Sonos and Google Assistant environment.

It can be done with Alexa so I don’t see why this can’t be done with Google Assistant.

I love my Sonos speaker… But I am afraid my next purchase will not be Sonos because of their inability to bring us

Well I think this may explain a lot of the seemingly-inexplicable missing features within the GA-Sonos ‘integration’. As I suspected it’s nothing to do with any technical limitations.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/8/21056198/sonos-google-statement-lawsuit-ces-reaction-big-tech

Thank you for this article. I only wish I had seen it before I dumped my hard-earned cash into a Sonos speaker.

I have no problem at all in settling for a JBL speaker, if they have full GA integration. Thank you for letting me kick the tires Sonos… But I think I’m going to trade in your Fiat, for a Lamborghini!

Just got my Arc and was so confused why I could not use my Google home app to control it. It sounds great but I think this is a basic requirement to be called smart. I don’t even think the process is complicated and feels like it is intentional.

Wonder what their angle is, I am forced to login into to all the services I wish to use it is so bizarre. My wife likes listening to the radio and work fine with the Bose 900 and my other Google speakers. However, the arc forces you to login. Why! Just work like all the other speakers!

My Google Home/Assistant is linked to my Sonos Play 5.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Now I understand why Sonos' stock went down from ~$20 per stock to ~$10. If they do not align to what people are expecting "smart functionality" they are not going to be able to sell more.

There are many reasons that Share prices fluctuate but as Sonos reported higher earnings than analysts were expecting, lack of sales is not relevant in this instance. (16% of the reduction was when the CFO announced his retirement...)

I understand your frustration but I have never seen a definitive list of functionality to be included within the initial release and I expect the level of integration to follow a similar path as the Alexa integration did - with a steady increase in functionality and integration over time.
I just wanted to add my voice to this to say that I was one of the people dissapointed that the Google Assistant integration was not complete. I expected my Sonos to behave is the exact manner as my Google Home, but that's not what I'm getting. The lack of grouping is only one of my issues. It also has difficulty controlling my other Google speakers and I'm sure there are many other things missing from its abilities when compared to the Google Home. Anyway, I'm hoping that Sonos will reach full integration sooner rather than later. I'd love for Google to simply recognize it as another speaker in the system as it it had been a native Google speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
So disappointed with the limited GA integration by Sonos, espically after nearly 2 years of work on this launch. I have advertised my Sonos Play 5 for sale. As soon as it goes it's Google Home Max for me.
Strange decision as the GA integration hasn't been released in the UK yet and the Sonos development approach is always to release functionality over a number of releases rather than incorporating it all in one big release but good luck with your choice.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I don't think there will be any major development before the UK launch. I may be wrong and regret my decision, but I feel Sonos will always be playing catch-up with Google and their development of Google Assistant.

Just decided I wanted the option of Full Google Assistant and Chromecast. Shame as I really loved my Sonos speakers. After sale of Play 5, I will then sell the Play 1 & Play 3.

Ho men I wish I read this thread before I bought my set... What a disappointment.... I wish I could group it with all my Audio Chromecast device's…

I'll send back my Play:1 then

Just bought a Sonos Beam, two Ikea speakers and consider buying the Sonos Sub. I know noticed that I cannot add the Sonos Speakers (or in my case the speaker group) to Google Home groups. I also cannot control the speaker throught the Google Home app (pause, next and volume).

This is unaccaptable… Both my Lenovo Smart Clock and my JBL Link are able to do this and they cost a fraction of what Sonos costs. I am still in my return period and might actually make use of it as this…

The Lenovo and JBL are just speakers. Sonos is already a multiroon system. The price is irrelevant. 

If this is unacceptable then you had better get the return labels ready, because it is very unlikely to change. 

Userlevel 2
If a year ago Sonos were honest and said - we will have GA support but it is going to be limited, I probably wouldn't have spent the money on a Sonos speaker