Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

Shadley, I suspect they can’t even though, like Sonos speakers they’ll show up in the Home app, this suggests they don't group either.

I just want to be able to tell Google Assistant to play music in my whole house. Is it that hard to let me do that? Just let me group the speakers already…

I paid a ton of money for high end products which even advertise the Google integration and I’m not able to use a basic function. Very disapointing.

Moderation note: removed expletive

Badge

Here is another problem.

I have fully equiped smarthome and couple of nest hubs. Nest hubs control lights, heating, AC, Roomba etc. It's very convinient out of the box solution. My family members really like it and use it every day. Way better than using your mobile phone.

I started with Sonos, have couple of them. For me, Sonos sound is perfect, way better than nest audio speakers.

But for multiroom Sonos lost the battle. Convinince of manipulating groups of speakers with nest hub is way better than, grabing your phone , opening Sonos app, and doing everything needed.

So what happend is that I got couple of nest minis and couple nest audio speakers for multiroom audio and installed Sonos speakers in rooms that I would like to have better listening experience, but I also have google speakers in that rooms.

All in all, I use Sonos now as dumb speakers and google nest for multiroom audio, home control, and everything else it offers.

I am sad because of that. Still thrilled when I hear sound from Sonos speakers but the reallity is google offers way more in one solution. And smarthomes are the future.

So for me it would be dream come true if I could control speaker groups with nest hub that could include both Sonos and google speakers. 

But in truth, google will launch good expensive speaker and that would be the end of Sonos in my home :-(

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The Sonos system is the best by far, however that was before the rise of assistance voice. Sonos admitted they really didn't expect voice enabled speakers to take off and were very late to the party.

I do feel that Sonos have joined this party begrudgingly, they really didn't want to do this and stick with their very unique and excellent system.

However the method of listening to music had and we'll develop further towards voice enabled speakers. Be that asking for your music on a single speaker, group of speakers or the whole house.

I feel Sonos have done the bare minimum to say they have Assistant build into their system, but it's basic at best. Just look at what they launched for GA after 2 years work. No voice recognition, no direct play to Sonos from within Google app, no ability to select Sonos as a speaker with Google app.

Its very achievable just look at Sony, JBL and LG. Yes I know the music quality of these products does not compare to Sonos, it's just that Sonos have done the minimum which pleases no one. Myself as a Sonos use who has GA; it's just not capable enough. It will also not suit individuals who are looking to buy into smart speakers, if these individuals to the research they will probably look at Amazon, Google, Sony, JBL, LG the list goes on and on.

I regard this as a defensive decision by Sonos which will hurt their headline sales.

I loved and still love the sound and quality of my Sonos but I took the plunge and sold my Play 5 at bought Google Home Max cheaper and sounds very good with full GA. I waited for the UK launch to see how good/ bad the integration is before making a decision on my Play 1 & 3. Suffice to say I'm not impressed. The vast lack of integration is enough to tip me over to other makes. I will accept a slightly lesser sound quality, even that's subjective with the better GA speaker's, to get a full Google Voice speaker with Google or 95% there for every other third party speakers who only stop short regarding voice calling.

Sonos is and I believe will be light years behind of their current strategy.

Hoping the speaker grouping is high on the next features list too...

Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.

If you have an Android, you set your dual/separate audio to a sonos speaker  and connect to it via Bluetooth and then connect to a google home speaker via Bluetooth. Then you can go into your google home and play on all google speakers. The downside is that you can only get the one sonos to play with google Groups.

Really sad that there isn't a backlog or something where we can see what's going on, or vote on things we really miss. I believe this is the greatest feature which will push Sonos forward above the others. A real integration with the Google equipment. For smaller rooms it's nice to have just a small 27 euro Nest Mini, and the bigger rooms can have the more expensive (and better sounding) Sonos equipment. But just grouping them all together would be such a great feature.

Most definitely disappointing that Sonos-Google “integration” does not allow:
  1. grouping of Sonos and Google speakers
  2. control of Sonos grouping by voice.
This is particularly disappointing because the work-around that I used prior to “integration” did allow 1. by using chromecast as a line-in source to Sonos. Seems that the work-around had better functionality than the “integration”.

Add my vote for 1. and 2. above. Or at least tell us if it’s not going to happen.

Recently bought a Sonos Roam to dip my toe in the Sonos eco system. I have numerous Google speakers, chrome casts and a Lenovo clock that I can integrate into groups. 

I stupidly assumed that I would be able to integrate my speakers with the Roam. Was actually considering over the next few years swapping out some of my Google speakers and "upgrading" to Sonos.

All though I love. My roam I won't be doing this due to the lack of groups with different speakers. I don't know if it's a technical issue or some sort of dispute between Google and Sonos. I do know that it's hurting sales for Sonos as I can't justify replacing my whole system in one go.

I hope that there will be some sort of resolution but won't hold my breath.

not sure I’m following you.   I’m trying to get my sonos speakers to show up in the google home app under “speaker groups” so I can pay in sync with all the other speakers in my house.   

not sure I’m following you.   I’m trying to get my sonos speakers to show up in the google home app under “speaker groups” so I can pay in sync with all the other speakers in my house.   

So my friend, that won't happen. But if you want to play music through your Sonos AND other Google speakers grouped together, the good way is to use a chrome cast on your TV which is connected to a playbar or playbase. Unless you don't have these speakers, that's sad. At least with bar base or beam you can't . 

+1 here.
I would have to return my buying if the real Sonos-Google integration isn't going to happen.

I am immensely disappointed in the lack of ability to group my Sonos One with my google home speakers.  This is unacceptable and makes my Sonos essentially useless in parties.  I’d rather pick 5 decent speakers over 1 sorta good overpriced one.

So I just bought a One for the living room with probably the overall goal of completing a 5.1 setup.

In terms of Google products, I have a regular Hub in my bedroom and a Home Mini in the kitchen, with a Shield TV and come Christmas Day, a Chromecast Ultra in the living room.

So not as entwined within the Google ecosystem as many here.

I guess my point and what I’m thinking for me is that should I just stop my Google purchases from this point onwards and merely buy the Sonos stuff to get the whole house audio set up?

2 years and still no progress on this topic?

2 years and still no progress on this topic?

“Progress”?  Exactly when were you promised this feature that you would expect some “progress”?  I’ll answer - Never, because it’s not possible.  Sonos and Google have two completely different synching methodologies.  

Really sad that there isn't a backlog or something where we can see what's going on, or vote on things we really miss.

Sonos reads these forums, so your thoughts are considered.  Don’t know if they hold an official tally.  I’m not all surprised that they don’t show numbers who on who else wants a particular feature, as that would only bring disappoint to customers who feel like customer votes should be the only factor in implementing feature...ignoring things like making a profit, contractual limitations, impact on other development plans, and technical feasibility.

I believe this is the greatest feature which will push Sonos forward above the others. A real integration with the Google equipment. For smaller rooms it's nice to have just a small 27 euro Nest Mini, and the bigger rooms can have the more expensive (and better sounding) Sonos equipment. But just grouping them all together would be such a great feature.

Personally, I’d rather see Sonos come out with their own $50 puck speaker. Scratch that, I’d love to see a non-portable version of the Roam for maybe around $120 or something.

Bambooya, I can confirm that any speaker you can fit a chromecast to will have 100% integration with Google speakers and can be grouped. This means through the Home app, not the Sonos app. Unfortunately you can't integrate Sonos One this way as they don't have AUX inputs.