Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

It is indeed a restriction imposed by Google. 

This would likely be one of two things, or a combination of both. First, the method by which data is transmitted to each device is different, and second, Google doesn’t want to allow Sonos into their ‘walled’ garden, so that Google gets the hardware sales, not Sonos.

Given the legal issues between the two companies, I wouldn’t expect this to change any time soon. 

You most certainly cannot do it with Amazon devices. I don't know where that idea came from.
Same frustration. Home is networked through google. Waited months for the integration. Every other third party speaker I own can be grouped using Google (unlike Amazon/Alexa groups), and their spokespeople have been telling press this would be part of the functionality. Hugely frustrated to have my highest quality speaker disconnected from my home and rarely used as a result. I would like Sonos to be definitive - one way or the other - on whether this basic feature is on the roadmap.

I follow the press about Sonos pretty closely, and I never saw this type of feature touted as part of the functionality. Furthermore, I wouldn't expect it to be, because you cannot do it with Alexa devices either. I'm curious if you can provide links to these press statements?

lol this is still an issue? What a joke

Ended up here just like most of you folks. 

I assumed that now that Sonos has Google Assistant integration I d be able to add a high-end speaker to my house and connect it with the existing google Home speakers in my other rooms, but it turned out to be a disappointment out of the box. 

just bought my first Sonos last night and this is a deal breaker for me. There’s no point having connected speakers in every room and then having this brand Siloed into its own little system. 

I will be returning my Sonos to the retailer next weekend. It’s too bad because the speakers sound great but Sonos’ current integration (or lack thereof) makes this an expensive isolated TV sound bar at best, which I don’t need.  

Goodbye Sonos!

I'm a new Beam Gen 2 owner. I'm very satisfied with the sound but am frustrated (like many others here) that I cannot add my Sonos to my Google home speaker group. Even more disappointed that Sonos will not officially give us a definitive roadmap if this is coming. Had I known this I would never have purchased.

Also annoying is that while I can see my Sonos in my Google Home, I can't choose my Sonos to target it in YouTube Music. Annoying. I don't want to use the Sonos Music software.

Userlevel 2
It will be very nice to have some information from Sonos about their roadmap with regards to further GA implementation. All I hear above is speculation (assuming it will be similar to Alexa, etc.) and it is not clear at all that this functionality (chromcast functionality) will ever happen. The wait will be easier if I know it is something they are actually working on. Sonos speakers are not cheap and as paying consumers I think Sonos should treat us with respect, especially given that GA support was promised when I bought the speaker (yes, no specific functionality was promised but it was easy to assume that it will have the same basic functionality as other google-supported network speakers).

Just bought a Sonos Beam, two Ikea speakers and consider buying the Sonos Sub. I know noticed that I cannot add the Sonos Speakers (or in my case the speaker group) to Google Home groups. I also cannot control the speaker throught the Google Home app (pause, next and volume).

This is unaccaptable… Both my Lenovo Smart Clock and my JBL Link are able to do this and they cost a fraction of what Sonos costs. I am still in my return period and might actually make use of it as this…

The Lenovo and JBL are just speakers. Sonos is already a multiroon system. The price is irrelevant. 

If this is unacceptable then you had better get the return labels ready, because it is very unlikely to change. 

So why can I not pause/play or change the volume (or cast from music directly from the Google Home App to the Sonos)? That are not multiroom features and should work. 

Even then, Sonos supports speaker groups with Alex so why not with Google?

The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.

I am already invested but Chromecast is what I'm really missing with this system. Grouping with a Google home would allow casting and I'd by one to cut down on cords but trying to cast sound from a projector is my goal and apple iOS is not a direction I would ever go due to its limitations.

Can someone confirm that this has still not been fixed, 4 years later? 🤔

I was 1 click away from buying a Sonos One (Gen2) and a Sonos Move, as I am not happy with the sound quality from some of my google assistant devices.

But cancel that!

You can not group Sonos speaker with other speakers for multiroom playback, using google assistant? 

That makes this speaker useless for me

Can someone confirm that this is still not possible? I have google assistant devices in all my rooms and I just want Sonos speakers in my living room and kitchen for better sound there. 

You’ve never been able to group Sonos speakers with any other brand speakers. It’s not broken because it’s never been a promised feature.  You also cannot group Amazon and GA speakers.  Or Apple Homepods with GA speakers. 

Other than Apple’s airplay, which has it’s issues and isn’t usable without an iOS device or AppleTV, there is no universal multiroom audio standard that all companies use.  Nothing indicates that we are close to one developing anytime soon.

Damnit, should have read this topic sooner. Just bought two Sonos One to group them with the Naim muso 2 and didn't understand why I couldn't do it on google assistant.

So sadly, it will be a refund 😕
Userlevel 2
The only thing holding me back from purchasing these speakers today is the lack of chromecast built-in. I keep checking back to see if it will be integrated in a future update.

“The price is irrelevant” is a funny quote when you have a questionably useful $800 speaker. I’d advise the fanboys not defend Sonos here; they’re in a lawsuit with Google due to the danger this type of issues poses against their survival.

You need them to be able to demonstrate that customers like me exist because we’re a growing market segment. I refer to people who are building integrated ecosystems & will skip over non-integrated options. This necessitates regulation to prevent players like Google/Amazon from abusing their market positions & killing players like Sonos.

I’m still in the return period & evaluating the Arc, but without a statement from Sonos I will likely return this. The smart-tech capabilities are useless to me if they can’t fit into my existing systems.

Haha. You’re probably right, but i cannot help but feel cheated and resentful towards Sonos. It’s like they gave me enough to convince me it would work like every other speaker, but left out the key component that makes it appealing.

I’m sorry to all the other Californians that are innocent here, but i kind of hope it does break off into the ocean. Sonos hq is in Santa barabara, two birds one stone.

Over a year ago I posted on the message board expressing my disappointment in the lack of integration . Many users felt I was being too harsh saying they had only promised integration sometime in 2018. They missed the integration time by 6 months and provided a sub-par integration. They were saying also that it could be Google slowing the process, but based on the number of compatible products coming out, I highly doubt Google is the bottleneck.

Time to switch speakers.
All of this waiting for crap. Goggle assistant can cast to ONE. A year ago I found a sync and work around with Chromecast. It even allow for syncing the speaker delay coming from other rooms. Why can we create groups?

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless.

I saved my money for months and months to buy my playbar and I am disappointed 😞 

So one year later, and Sonos still cannot integrate with google groups. Such a disappointment as just bought a Sonos 1.

I have already decided to return it, and get two google nest audio.

Another disappointed Sonos user here. I've been wondering why I wasn't seeing my Sonos speakers as addable to GA speaker groups. Finally took the time to do a little searching and ended up here. I was assuming it was just me overlooking something.

This really screws up my whole configuration--not being able to simultaneously play on all my speakers throughout the house. Guess I'll give it a little time and see if they make any progress but seems likely I'll soon be dumping my Sonos gear for something that plays nicely with the rest of my home.

😞

Guys, buy a chrome cast and let it play throughout the tv… disable the night mode and the dialogue mode and be happy. I was frustrated in the past as well. I have a play bar, a nest hub and a google home. And I can play music on all speaks with a good sync thanks to google chrome cast. 

i waited for Google:Sonos integration assuming speaker grouping is a given, fundamental feature. Was about to add 2 more Sonos speakers. How glad I’m I didn’t buy those ahead of release. You lost me Sonos. Simple as that.
Userlevel 1

Please can someone explain why JBL speakers can be added to groups on the Google Home app but Sonos speakers can’t? I don’t understand why other 3rd party companies have this ability but Sonos doesn’t?

Userlevel 1

I have 3 JBLs and a Chromecast all grouped together on the Google Home app so I’m not having the same issue the people are within the link you’ve provided.

I am not interested in saying whose ‘fault’ this is, not least because I don’t see it as a fault.  Sonos does not make speakers.  Its product is a fully integrated multiroom audio system.  That is what you voluntarily buy into when you go down the Sonos route.  It is not designed to work with other companies’ systems, and it makes no apologies for that.

Sonos has, relatively recently in its history, added voice control, including that provided by Google Assistant.  That is a world away from integrating two rival multiroom systems, and it was a big and incorrect assumption that that was the case.  

So, Sonos is unashamedly a solution to whole-home music in itself.  I am happy to be committed to the Sonos ecosystem - a willing prisoner, if you like.  But I started from scratch with Sonos.  @Boppy17 - you are starting from a different place from me, as you are already invested in the Google system.  I can understand you wanting your Google system and your Sonos system to sync, but that is just not on offer.  You have to choose one or the other, and given where you are now it would be understandable if you chose Google.

For all I know, Sonos and Google are currently working behind the scenes on making this possible, but that seems highly unlikely to me, especially given the current litigation between the two companies.