Answered

Cannot group Sonos system with Google Home devices

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

218 replies

Two years later, can this be done? Can we link google/nest speakers and Sonos speakers? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I don't think that Sonos will ever support all GA or Alexa functionality, their stated goal is to support commands that enable the control of music.
As the people above, I am similarly disappointed from the Google Assistant integration into the Sonos ecosystem, especially after waiting for so long. I think it is crucial requirement that users will be able to:

1. Group Sonos speaker with other speakers for multiroom playback (not necessarily with Sonos in all rooms)

I was not surprised by this at all. While I get that there are 3rd party speakers that can play in sync with Google speakers (the same with Alexa) there are not any multiroom systems that play in sync. While I understand why some could care less about Sonos multiroom functionality, or any feature that isn't related to Google home for that matter as they just wanted a better sounding speaker, that's not what Sonos is.

Whether it's Sonos decision or Google's decision, I can't say for sure. I believe Sonos wants to remain a multiroom system company, not a simple smart speaker company, so it makes sense to see Sonos in favor of this move. However, they do support airplay, which doesn't completely fit with the closed system model.

1. Set Sonos speaker as a default music speaker

Yea, this is disappointing. Sonos is definitely aware that this is desired by customers. With Alexa, it seems like the delay in bringing this was waiting on Amazon to implement the Alexa groups on their side. It does make more sense for the functional be on the assistant side. With Google, it seems like the functionality already exists. I still think it would be Google that needs to apply the default setting in their logic, but I'm surprised this wasn't done. Perhaps it will come much sooner than it did with Alexa.

1. Cast from Google Assistant/Google Home to a Sonos speaker from within apps (i.e. for the Sonos speaker to show up as one of the casting destinations).

As I've not used Google's casting very much, I don't know what to make of this. It seems like Google's casting strategy is evolving, so perhaps it's being delayed for that reason. Perhaps it has something to do with casting for youtube requiring video capabilities on it's casting destinations. Perhaps, Sonos didn't want it for whatever reason, or Google is requiring a license fee that Sonos doesn't like. Perhaps it's coming after further development.

Essentially, all this functionality would be possible if Sonos implemented Chromcast into the system. For me, it is not so important to use the Sonos speaker itself as a Google Assistant/Home device - I have google Home devices for that. I just want to use Sonos as a network speaker (I only have Sonos Play:5)

Yea, that's the thing. Sonos isn't just a wifi speaker, it's an entire integrated system. In a way, saying that Sonos is poor since they don't do the things you want from an essentially 'dumb' smart speaker, is ignoring all the things that Sonos is. I'm not at all saying that you're wrong for wanting the features you want or being disappointed. I'm not. I'm not even saying that your assumptions on functionality were poor. Maybe Sonos could have done a better job of expectations, though I'm not exactly sure how that would be done in a positive manner.

Basically it comes down to whether you were looking to buy Sonos with a google assistant, or a google assistant with the Sonos brand on it.

Personally, I'm hopeful that having the integration of both Google and Alexa is going to create some competition that will drive more features in the future on the Sonos platform. In that regard, I'm disappointed that the Google integration isn't starting off at the current level of Alexa integration, and has some catching up to do before competition can really be effective.

Can anyone comment (I am hoping for an official Sonos response) if those functionalities will be coming to Sonos in the near future? It will be nice to know because if it is not coming soon I think it will be time to sell my Sonos and invest in other solutions.

Based on past experience, Sonos doesn't like to give out this kind of information until firm dates are set. Obviously, they want to avoid customer disappointment from missed dates, as was the case with this integration. Everything I've seen from Sonos staff on this subject so far has been no commitments on future releases or what will be in those releases.
Userlevel 1

Basically it comes down to whether you were looking to buy Sonos with a google assistant, or a google assistant with the Sonos brand on it.

I think this is a great summarization. Thus far--for my Sonos Beam soundbar--it feels like a Sonos with GA but I really just wanted a high-quality GA that has native support for TVs.

Knowing that they don't typically communicate their feature roadmap, it's somewhat comforting that we have not gotten confirmation that using Sonos within a Google Home speaker group is not something they're planning on doing.

I just bought a few thousand dollars of sonos speakers and subs. 2 full theater sets and an extra gen2 One to replace a bedroom assistant. I'm about to pack up the lot of them and return. Because I set up one in my bedroom and I can't integrate it with the existing speaker groups. So....., no sonos I'm not happy. I find it to be an underhanded attempt to sell more speakers and I don't want your speakers if I can't say "ok Google, play x on all speakers" or "play the latest news on all speakers". I also suspect I won't be able to run my morning routine on your speakers either. This is a really stupid place to dig in. Either allow full integration or go back to being "dumb" speaks, stop with the infuriating half measure. My opinion of sonos has always been "smart" bose. But if you don't get with the program your going to get left behind or at least you won't get any more of my money. 

You seem to be assuming that Google wanted Sonos speakers to be able to play along with their own, and Sonos refused.  Actually, Sonos approached Google in order to get Google to allow control of Sonos speakers via the Google Assistant.  Google did not want to do the integration at all, but Sonos convinced them to do it anyway.  Perhaps, Google then wanted to allow speakers to play in sync, but I highly doubt that.  I don’t think Sonos was ever interested in integrating with Google speakers, because there audio syncing tech has a lot more features than Google’s does.

Also, Sonos also has a lawsuit against Google for infringing on their IP with their wireless audio system.  

I get the frustration after making an assumption, spending thousands, and then being disappointed, but then assuming that Google wants to give you what you want and Sonos doesn’t...is just inaccurate.

Basically it comes down to whether you were looking to buy Sonos with a google assistant, or a google assistant with the Sonos brand on it.I think this is a great summarization. Thus far--for my Sonos Beam soundbar--it feels like a Sonos with GA but I really just wanted a high-quality GA that has native support for TVs.

Knowing that they don't typically communicate their feature roadmap, it's somewhat comforting that we have not gotten confirmation that using Sonos within a Google Home speaker group is not something they're planning on doing.

This article says about the same thing.

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/17/google-assistant-sonos-home/
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I just wanted to add my voice to this to say that I was one of the people dissapointed that the Google Assistant integration was not complete. I expected my Sonos to behave is the exact manner as my Google Home, but that's not what I'm getting. The lack of grouping is only one of my issues. It also has difficulty controlling my other Google speakers and I'm sure there are many other things missing from its abilities when compared to the Google Home. Anyway, I'm hoping that Sonos will reach full integration sooner rather than later. I'd love for Google to simply recognize it as another speaker in the system as it it had been a native Google speaker.

I stated earlier in this topic that I put my Sonos Play 5 for sale. Sold bought Google Home Max. Sound just as good as Play 5 and obviously fill GA. Yes I know it's made by Google, but even cheaper speakers JBL, LG and Sony have almost full GA integration. The only thing they lack is voice calling. Google didn't block those manafactures. I would suggest this is down to Sonos thinking they are superior and don't need Cast build in and full GA.

I believe in years to come this will be the death nail for Sonos. They have regular discounts, that rarely happened in the past.

Nest thing I will sell in my Play 1 & 3. They will be the end of my Sonos ownership.
Badge +1
Here’s a workaround I tested yesterday morning:

Using a Chromecast on the TV you’ve paired with your Sonos Beam create a group using the Chromecast and any other Google devices you own, call the the TV Chromecast Group.

Cast to the TV Chromecast Group and then using the Sonos app select all the Sonos speakers you want to play along with Google devices.

You may have to adjust for a lag between the Sonos and Google devices but it works.

Can someone confirm that this has still not been fixed, 4 years later? 🤔

I was 1 click away from buying a Sonos One (Gen2) and a Sonos Move, as I am not happy with the sound quality from some of my google assistant devices.

But cancel that!

You can not group Sonos speaker with other speakers for multiroom playback, using google assistant? 

That makes this speaker useless for me

Can someone confirm that this is still not possible? I have google assistant devices in all my rooms and I just want Sonos speakers in my living room and kitchen for better sound there. 

I bought Sonos One last year hoping it would be able to be grouped with other Chromecast speakers including google home in the other rooms once upgraded. But now it's disappointing...

I too was disappointed about lack of grouped speakers integration with GA. However, I was not particularly surprised. Sonos’ business model is similar to Apple’s. They want you to buy into an ecosystem, not just a single product. The Sonos One is the gateway drug, the good value for money speaker to tempt you in, with the hope you’ll add one to each room, then a pricey sound bar to your TV, followed by more Ones to add as surround speakers. 

If they provide full (speaker groups) integration with Google Assistant, we can all then choose to buy a Google Home Max instead, or a Google Nest Mini for the rooms where the extra volume isn’t required. I’m not sure this is what Sonos want. 

I hope I’m wrong.

Unbelievable. This Move speaker is going STRAIGHT back to the store. Total horse manure. I have JBL and other manufacturer’s speakers grouped together, so I don’t believe this is an issue on the Google side. So long Sonos!

Add me to the list of disappointed customers. I really hope they add the ability to add the Sonos speakers to Google Speaker Groups.
Sonos,

After all this waiting. And after multiple articles. And after multiple phone calls to your service reps (including today), I’m now being told that you cannot group your Sonos system devices with your Google Home devices (after being told for months and more than a year that the aid be able to group them). Even the rep I spoke with today tried to help me and didn’t find out it wasn’t possible until he spoke to a system engineer. You can do it with Amazon devices, but STILL not with Google devices

In all honesty, what is the point of adding Google assistant to Sonos if you can’t even use Sonos speakers with Google Speakers together in a group? It’s pretty useless for me to be in living room, have to get up and walk to my kitchen to say “hey google, play x in my Living Room” and then walk back.
Sorry you feel that way. Out of curiosity is that a gen 1 or gen 2 Play:5?

Unbelievable. This Move speaker is going STRAIGHT back to the store. Total horse manure. I have JBL and other manufacturer’s speakers grouped together, so I don’t believe this is an issue on the Google side. So long Sonos!

Take care!  Brush your hair!  

Sadly, it looks like the Google Assistant integration in Sonos is pretty weak.   Hard to say who’s to blame, Google or Sonos.   No matter, you can’t group Sonos speaker in a Google Home Group, and, you can’t even shuffle a Spotify playlist with the Sonos Google Assistant.   And, no ETA for fixing.   The Sonos speakers sound nice, but if I can’t use the Google Assistant to control, I’ll return and replace with speakers that have better GA control.  

.... Also, there isn't currently the ability to set a Sonos device as a preferred speaker within the Google Home app.

This feature would be great to have. The other features that seem to be missing, that cripple the current implementation are the ability to shuffle a playlist, and the ability to ask to play one song and have Sonos keep playing other songs based on the first selection. These two things do happen when I use Google Assistant with my chromecast devices.
Me too. Make grouping happen.
Userlevel 1
Again, regarding grouping capability. I would suggest you prioritize the grouping of Sonos branded speakers first (using google voice assistant). Focus initially on satisfying those consumers that purchased your branded products with the promise of google assistant functionality. It doesn’t need to be overly intuitive or a highly friendly initial experience but the capability should exist sooner than later to “group” and “remove from group” any sonos branded speaker using google assistant.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Sonos have made a good start with GA, even if it has taken over a year. This has breathed fresh life back into my PLAY1s, and one has regained it's lost position in my Kitchen to join my google home hub.I still think the PLAY1 sounds great and i still believe it is a winner for the price.
Will i buy anymore.........not until i can get BBC sounds out of it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I would rather be able to set sonos as default speaker for google home hub and mini.
We will soon know if bose will let their speakers be grouped with non-bose speakers with google assistant, if not, then no pressure on sonos to do it either.....
Badge +7
Forgive me if it's already been covered in this thread, tried to make it all the way through but have limited time to do so at work.

Is it fair to say the main concern is that 3rd party speakers are not grouping within the Google Home app, so each speaker can play music simultaneously?

Just trying to confirm because Sonos does have the option to play music to all your Sonos speakers at the same time through the Sonos app. But that doesn't appear to be the issue, right?

Thanks for clarity.

So, this sucks. Seriously, the speakers show up in the “google home” app, but just don’t show up when you try add them to a speaker group. I’ve got a group called “all speakers”, only now it cannot actually contain all my speakers. Sonos, just fix it...it’s a software change, and a small one, you’ll make a lot of people happy. I’ll be returning my products in the next 30 days if this isn’t fixed.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
You have to set a group in the sonos app first, to play to more than 1 sonos device via GA.

You cannot group sonos with other "works with google" speakers you may have for ALL house playing same thing , sonos's previous main usp and hence need to still keep some sort of closed eco-system.
If this did happen you would basically turn sonos into an expensive google cast enabled speaker.
Tricky.....alot of people want ALL their speakers to play nicely together. and will decide to sell sonos.

Iam not that bothered about "all house", what i want is bbc iplayer radio support 😫