Sonos Roam Orange Light

Show first post

71 replies

It will not power on no matter how long I hold down the button. I’ve tried it with the power cable plugged in and without it but it doesn’t work.

As soon as I disconnect the power cable the orange light goes off and  then there are no lights at all no matter how long I hold the power button on the back.

Userlevel 2

Same orange light issue as everyone else. Purchased my Roam in the spring of 2022, so about 18 months of life on the thing. Went through all the steps with support to confirm that the Roam is bricked. “Sorry but as it’s out of warranty the only thing we can do is offer a discount on a new product”… I pushed back on that response but the support person (who was otherwise very professional) wouldn’t budge. Sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making.

I’m having exactly the same issue. 

First the magnetic charging base stopped working but I could charge the Roam with the cable. 

Now it will not turn on at all. The orange light at the bottom is constant if it is connected to power, otherwise there is no light anymore, nothing at the top. And the buttons don’t seem to be doing nothing. Tried holding the Power button multiple times for a long period of time… with the Roam commected by cable and disconnected also. Nothing happens. Completely bricked except for the constant orange light at th bottom. 

Yup, mine’s ‘bricked’ too.  Bought the roam shortly after launch.  Love my other Sonos stuff, but the roam has not been great.  Always had short battery life and glitchy connections.

I think the culprit (no real evidence, though) might be the Sonos wireless charging base for the Roam.  I picked that up right when they offered it.

After several months of sitting on it (and using the speaker a few times each week) and removing it rarely, it started to ‘sleep’ and/or disconnect.  I had to 5sec Hold or 20sec hold or all of the other tricks to get it back.  Eventually, I had to stop using the wireless charging pad, as it never seemed to provide enough of a charge.  (yes, I swapped the plug portion a couple times).  

USBC charging worked well for a few weeks, but then the same problems started. 

Now, it is orange light full time when plugged in, bricked when unplugged.  swapped several USBC cables and power sources.  I think the battery is prob shot now.

I’ve had to go back to my Bose Soundlink Micro (several years old) when I’m mobile.  That battery is still a champ.  Of course, it’s a Bose - so it doesn’t mesh with the good Sonos stuff.

The concept of Roam was good, but never really worked for me.  I may consider the Move, but that’s moving to a much bulkier size (not to mention cost).

Just went through the same thing.  Dead unit.  14 months old.  Customer service essentially said “sucks for you”. Offered me a 30% coupon to buy the same crappy speaker.  After I sent in my old one, which I’m sure they will resell after refurbished.  

Not a fan of Sonos after this

Same. Been early adopter for over ten years. Was always a fan but now this  roam is worst piece of tech I own. 

Badge

Exact same issue here.  Did all the troubleshooting and now have a case open with Sonos.  They want me to charge it overnight….

Serial number has a 2112 date code.

I’ll update on the outcome.

What did Sonos Support say, when you contacted them with this issue?

Yes it is the orange light at the base. It’s been on charge for hours and hours. I’ve even used a different cable but nothing.

It may not be the cable at issue, but what the cable is plugged in to. 

Well after an online chat with customer support today and trying a different reset technique than I had found online, I'm stumped too. My Roam is about 2 years old. Wireless charger does not turn the orange light on. Sonos provided USB cable/block turns the orange light on for about 10 seconds then nothing.

Why are so many people encountering the same issue? This is looking like something deeper than "sorry for your luck".  I have 4 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Play speaker which are all amazing. Sonos needs to do something more substantial than "here's 30% off".

One more thing to add is that it seems that most people experiencing this problem have the Roam docked on the wireless charger. This could have something to do with it.

Well after an online chat with customer support today and trying a different reset technique than I had found online, I'm stumped too. My Roam is about 2 years old. Wireless charger does not turn the orange light on. Sonos provided USB cable/block turns the orange light on for about 10 seconds then nothing.

The battery LED is only supposed to show orange for 10secs - so it sounds like your device is working but likely has a depleted battery. Leave the Roam on charge for a couple of hours and then go onto try the power button reset - which is "off it’s charger" (important) - press and hold rear power button for 20+ seconds then return the Roam to its charger. If that doesn’t sort it, then leave it charging another couple of hours and once again “off it’s charger” try holding the power button again for 20+ seconds - those steps usually kick the Roam back to life, but ensure you give it a couple of hours on charge before trying the long press on the rear power button. Hope that sorts it for you. 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Why are so many people encountering the same issue? This is looking like something deeper than "sorry for your luck".  I have 4 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Play speaker which are all amazing. Sonos needs to do something more substantial than "here's 30% off".

One more thing to add is that it seems that most people experiencing this problem have the Roam docked on the wireless charger. This could have something to do with it.

IMO from all the threads here and elsewhere that the roam has issues. If I was you I would consider get a different speaker with the 30% off if they give you the discount and move on from the roam. 

Did you ever resolve this? I’ve had my Roam plugged in for days and it is still unresponsive. Orange light remains on solid but nothing happens when I push the power button.

Did you ever resolve this? I am having the same issue. 

Did you ever resolve this? I’ve had my Roam plugged in for days and it is still unresponsive. Orange light remains on solid but nothing happens when I push the power button.

Hi @Tim1993,

Have you already tried the steps mentioned a little earlier in this thread? If so, and you have repeated them, as described and checked the charger is PD certified with (at least) a power-output of 5Vx2A (10w), then you are perhaps best to contact Sonos Support Staff. Here is their contact LINK

Hi @Tim1993,

Have you already tried the steps mentioned a little earlier in this thread? If so, and you have repeated them, as described and checked the charger is PD certified with (at least) a power-output of 5Vx2A (10w), then you are perhaps best to contact Sonos Support Staff. Here is their contact LINK

Ken, thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I think I have tried all of those steps. I typically use the Roam wireless charger, but I noticed the Roam was completely dead and would not charge with the wireless charger. When I use my MacBook Pro USB-C charger, I get an amber solid light on the Roam. It has remained solid amber for nearly an hour and the Roam will not reboot or power up. 

Ken, thank you for the quick reply. Yes, I think I have tried all of those steps. I typically use the Roam wireless charger, but I noticed the Roam was completely dead and would not charge with the wireless charger. When I use my MacBook Pro USB-C charger, I get an amber solid light on the Roam. It has remained solid amber for nearly an hour and the Roam will not reboot or power up. 

Does your Sonos Qi charger allow you to disconnect its base & cable from its power adapter and allow you to use just the power adapter with the USB cable that came with your Roam? (See attached screenshot).. if so then set the Qi base aside and try charging your Roam with the supplied USB-C cable instead and see if that gets it going using the steps mentioned in my earlier post in this thread.

Hope that works for you.👍

The battery LED is only supposed to show orange for 10secs - so it sounds like your device is working but likely has a depleted battery. Leave the Roam on charge for a couple of hours and then go onto try the power button reset - which is "off it’s charger" (important) - press and hold rear power button for 20+ seconds then return the Roam to its charger. If that doesn’t sort it, then leave it charging another couple of hours and once again “off it’s charger” try holding the power button again for 20+ seconds - those steps usually kick the Roam back to life, but ensure you give it a couple of hours on charge before trying the long press on the rear power button. Hope that sorts it for you. 👍

Oh trust me, I have allowed it to "charge" for more than enough hours/days in attempts to get it working. Tried all the reset procedures that I have read including this thread. Tried charging on the wireless dock. Tried charging with the Sonos provided block/USB C cable. Tried a different charger altogether. It will not charge and will not power on no matter what I do.

I don't want to just turn this into a $200+ paper weight but it's not looking good.

IMO from all the threads here and elsewhere that the roam has issues. If I was you I would consider get a different speaker with the 30% off if they give you the discount and move on from the roam. 

Agreed, might look at the Move instead. I liked the compact size of the Roam and the sound was good for a small portable speaker. Disappointing to say the least.

Different experience here - have two x 3-year old Roams from when they were first launched and both are still going strong. I mostly leave them on their Qi charger when not in use/out & about with them and use both regularly. No battery issues seen. I use the battery saving features.

Bluetooth and WiFi playback have been excellent. No complaints. Have even dropped them a couple of times and they just bounced.😀

Honestly hoping I got a lemon the last time but reading all these messages here, I’m not feeling confident. Hopefully this one will last. (knocking on wood for your 2 Roams).

I have the exact same issue. I leave the Roam on the charging base. Haven’t had any problems. Went to use it in August and the unit was dead. I assumed it was a faulty outlet and set it aside. Tried again to charge it last week. No lights on the Roam using the charge base. Used the USB cable and the orange light came on. Charged for several hours and the light stayed orange. The light goes off when unplugged and won’t power on at all. 

Call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks for the advice. I have had it charging with the Sonos supplied USB-C block and cord for about 90 mins and the amber light stays solid. The speaker will not turn on.  I think something is wrong with the speaker.  

I have two roam speakers.  The first one had the orange light issue.  Sonos replaced it. Then my second one had same issue. Although after warranty sonos replaced it. Now the first one they replaced has same issue.  So 3 speakers now.  And anyone that says I should have gotten extended warranties when the product is obviously full of issues is ridiculous.   So disappointing. 

Sonos Support - Currently running through their advice which mirrors the steps in this forum and already tried!  Hopefully if it does not come back to life they will offer me a new one - not holding my breath...

I’m having the same issue with a Roam that is only a little over 1 year old. It does nothing on the magnetic base. If plugged in via USB, it gets a solid orange light. If unplugged, there’s no light. Either way it is totally unresponsive. I’ve been on with Customer Service for an hour now - having me do all the things I already tried in terms of factory reset, etc. Nothing’s working. Now I’m hold, awaiting a verdict. With all the Sonos equipment I own, anything other than a fix or replacement would be unacceptable.