Sonos Roam Orange Light

Show first post

71 replies

I’m having the same issue with a Roam that is only a little over 1 year old. It does nothing on the magnetic base. If plugged in via USB, it gets a solid orange light. If unplugged, there’s no light. Either way it is totally unresponsive. I’ve been on with Customer Service for an hour now - having me do all the things I already tried in terms of factory reset, etc. Nothing’s working. Now I’m hold, awaiting a verdict. With all the Sonos equipment I own, anything other than a fix or replacement would be unacceptable.

I’m not entirely sure why you have posted here, other than it would be unfair on those that take out extended warranty insurance cover, if a manufacturer replaced goods that fell faulty outside their own warranty period, unless perhaps in your case, we’re talking just a few days/weeks perhaps🤔?.. rather than several months. Otherwise those who pay and take out the extended cover, would be questioning their need to do so.

Thanks Ken, but I found your response 100% not helpful. I’m unsure what you’re trying to accomplish?

Thanks Ken, but I found your response 100% not helpful. I’m unsure what you’re trying to accomplish?

I’m not understanding (at all) why you are posting your "ongoing issue” here, particularly following on from my earlier comment about taking out "extended" warranty cover - it’s like you’re now putting Sonos in quite a difficult position of not being able to replace your Roam, if it’s outside the 12 month manufacturer warranty period, as it would be totally unfair to those folk that have paid out extra and chosen to extend the cover on their devices. It just seems to me that you are not helping your own case here by commenting - I think you ‘might’ have been better to just await the outcome.

I had the same issue before, and eventually got RMA. But now RMA unit has the same issue. Personally, the rate of the system failure on this seem a bit too high...

This forum has nothing to do with extended warranties, making posts about the fact that you have a product that is working as its intended. It’s clearly labeled “Sonos Roam Orange Light” - which is what I’m posting about. I suggest you start a new thread… preferably on a different website that is about the value of extended warranties (which is not even a Sonos offered product).

People following this thread are looking for info about this specific topic and how to get resolution, as well as to share similar experiences. I worked with Sonos customer service and found them to be helpful in finding a resolution, and I hope others do as well. It’s great to see a company stand behind their products; which is rare these days.

I was actually just trying to assist you, but I think you’re perhaps misunderstanding my posts in reply to you for some reason.

Badge

Hi

Same issue here with 1 of my w Roams. In USB charger, constant Orange until unplugged. No response to either botton combinations mentioned in this thread. Same charger/cable combo as for my other Roam with no issue 10W/2Amp.

Wondering if this a general issue, maybe after a certain SW update ?!?

Best regards

Christian, DK

Did you ever resolve this? I’ve had my Roam plugged in for days and it is still unresponsive. Orange light remains on solid but nothing happens when I push the power button.

Is the charger you’re using PD certified and if so, what is it’s power-output: volts x amps?

I’ve tried multiple chargers including the charger for my MacBook Pro (see pictures below).

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Not sure where you guys are based but don't forget your consumer rights may well be longer than the 12m you (or Sonos) may believe.  EU (inc. Norway and some others) is 2 years I believe and UK much longer.  The device needs to last a ‘reasonable’ length of time.  I'd ask Sonos to confirm that they believe that 14 months is reasonable for one of their items to last and take it from there…

I'd like to think Sonos would respond favourably and use some discretion and common sense in such a case, especially if you make your case calmly and constructively..

No way would I accept having to buy a replacement (even at ‘only’ 70% price) for something only that old.

Yes, that should work ok, but just have the one device (Roam) plugged into the USB power port, rather than sharing it with other devices. Perhaps try this…

• Whilst ‘off’ its charger (that’s important) with the device powered ‘on’- press and hold the rear power-button. The Roam may power itself ‘off’ after approx. 5-6 seconds, but do not let go the button, keep it pressed for about another 15+ seconds until you see the front top status LED (near Sonos logo) light-up and glow white and then place the Roam back on its USB-C charger and leave it until it’s fully charged - when it’s reached 100% it should then be okay after that.🤞
  • Note you may need to repeat the above steps (off the charger) a couple of times to get it going, but in between trying it leave it on the charger for at least 30 minutes in between each attempt.

Press and hold the power button on the back until the white light turns on. Mines been doing this for weeks

edit: It must be software from the “standby” as it does this even fully charged then works for me all day long with no issues

It will not power on no matter how long I hold down the button. I’ve tried it with the power cable plugged in and without it but it doesn’t work.

As soon as I disconnect the power cable the orange light goes off and  then there are no lights at all no matter how long I hold the power button on the back.

Don’t forget to charge the Roam for at least 30 minutes between each attempt at long-pressing the rear power button - and note when you do press/hold the power button for 20-30 seconds that should only be done off it’s charger to reset the PID - then put it on charge - you may need to do it a few times to get it going. If no joy after that then speak with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK.

Solution:  Orange light of death = The battery is dead. Fix it yourself! Order a replacement battery on Amazon for $20-ish.  Watch YouTube video on how to disassemble unit and get to battery.  If you are handy it will take you about an hour.  The hardest part is getting the case apart because of all the waterproof glue. 

New battery worked great for me!
-Jim

Same issue, solid orange light, remediation suggestions do not work. Sits  on a charging base which was off for a few days. Purchased Sept 2021. By contrast my Bose Soundlink Mini purchased in 2017 is still going strong. Pity, my other Sonos kit seemed to have settled down.

Same issue here for the last week or so. Sonos Roam stamped with "model S27" on the base. Stopped wireless charging, and would continuously show orange light at base when plugged into USB-C charger (Anker 511 Nano 3). Orange light never turns off. Original purchase date was November 2021.

Support had me go through all the troubleshooting steps - hold power button for 20s, press and hold play/pause + volume up, attempt factory reset with play/pause and power button, etc. Then charge overnight and repeat the process. Apparently there's a known issue for Roams manufactured before Aug 24, 2021, and mine doesn't match that so I have a 30% off coupon now and a decision to make about whether to buy another one that might fail in less than two years. 🤷‍♂️

i bought/got aroam in november 2021. worked fine for 2 yea

I have the exact same issue here. The speaker is no longer responding at all, just showing a solid orange light when plugged into power. 

So frustrating. Bought it in June 2022. 

it worked fine for 2 years, i left it on the charging basesystematically, but now in december2023. it turned dead like desrcibed in this thread. i tried rhard reset with help of Sonos support, but nothing helped. i fear the battery is dead so i hope it cabn be returned and repaired even if it is outside their warranty period of 2 years. a pitty that a fine producyt like roam breaks just at the end of warranty.  with other sonos products, never had an issue ( five, one, oneSL). we’ll see where this goes, surely the battery is not top quality or it should be clear that keeping it loaded on the base is to be avoided. perhaps regularly depleting the battery helps for longer SONOS lifetime.

I have the exact same issue here. The speaker is no longer responding at all, just showing a solid orange light when plugged into power. 

So what is the charger / power output you are using? Have you done any troubleshooting? If so, what have you tried so far?

So what is the charger / power output you are using? Have you done any troubleshooting? If so, what have you tried so far?

It no longer is charging on the cable-free Sonos charger. I charged with my Mac charger, iPad charger and the cable that cake with the Sonos directly. The usual reset did not work and also not the alternative way to reset (push power button for 30 secs, charge for 30 mins, try again…). It‘s completely dead unless I plug in a USB C charger and it steadily shines orange. 

It no longer is charging on the cable-free Sonos charger. I charged with my Mac charger, iPad charger and the cable that cake with the Sonos directly. The usual reset did not work and also not the alternative way to reset (push power button for 30 secs, charge for 30 mins, try again…). It‘s completely dead unless I plug in a USB C charger and it steadily shines orange. 

It’s sounds like you have carried out the usual troubleshooting - it’s probably best to next contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  (if you haven’t taken that step yet) and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.