Sonos Roam Orange Light

I have 2 sonos Roam speakers. One of which will not connect. I have not used this one for several months. All I get when placed on charger is the orange light but this goes out for after a couple of minutes then nothing. I’ve tried a different charger same thing. 

Airgetlam 6 months ago

Call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

View original

70 replies

I’m having exactly the same issue. 

First the magnetic charging base stopped working but I could charge the Roam with the cable. 

Now it will not turn on at all. The orange light at the bottom is constant if it is connected to power, otherwise there is no light anymore, nothing at the top. And the buttons don’t seem to be doing nothing. Tried holding the Power button multiple times for a long period of time… with the Roam commected by cable and disconnected also. Nothing happens. Completely bricked except for the constant orange light at th bottom. 

I contacted customer service and after several troubleshooting steps he confined my unit was defective. Best of luck 

I had the same thing going on with my Sonos Roam… Right on the 12 month mark it stated dying a slow death. First up I noticed that the battery was barely lasting me an hour if that, this continued for a week or so, after that I was just stuck with a solid amber light at the bottom of the unit and not responsive to anything else I’d try including those 20 second press and holds where my finger would turn pale due to lack of circulation… lol.

So yeah, 13 months in and it was completely dead, I’m glad I got it at Costco so was able to return and get a full refund. No longer a current item in Costco stores any more so I decided to order online this time and received it yesterday. Let’s see how long this one lasts, I’m just breathing easier that I can just return it at Costco when it dies again (yeah, I used ‘when’ because I know it will seeing all these messages on this forum here). I’m even saving the box this time to make the return easier.

Different experience here - have two x 3-year old Roams from when they were first launched and both are still going strong. I mostly leave them on their Qi charger when not in use/out & about with them and use both regularly. No battery issues seen. I use the battery saving features.

Bluetooth and WiFi playback have been excellent. No complaints. Have even dropped them a couple of times and they just bounced.😀

Yup, well done Sonos! Accepted that my Roam was dead and replacement on its way. Refreshing to work with a tech company that takes its responsibilities seriously. Support agents polite and helpful.

5 stars

Just went through the same thing.  Dead unit.  14 months old.  Customer service essentially said “sucks for you”. Offered me a 30% coupon to buy the same crappy speaker.  After I sent in my old one, which I’m sure they will resell after refurbished.  

Not a fan of Sonos after this

Not gloating, but I have two Sonos Roams here that are 3 yrs old and still going strong, (touch wood). I’m perhaps going to lose out eventually though, as I have small appliance extended warranty insurance and so if the covered devices do not fail in the next two years, then I’ve lost out too… but I guess that’s why that type of insurance cover exists outside any manufacturers normal warranty period.

I did learn my own lesson many (many) years ago with a B&O TV - so these days, I like to cover most electrical goods for a 5 year period, by which time it’s usually a case that things need to be upgraded to the new model/version anyway. Any product that fails several months outside a warranty period, is perhaps a case of c'est la vie anyway, I guess, as nothing is ever going to be perfect in any mass-produced goods that are available worldwide.

Hi

Same issue here with 1 of my w Roams. In USB charger, constant Orange until unplugged. No response to either botton combinations mentioned in this thread. Same charger/cable combo as for my other Roam with no issue 10W/2Amp.

Wondering if this a general issue, maybe after a certain SW update ?!?

Best regards

Christian, DK

I’ve installed each/every Sonos update and the two Roans here are still okay, so maybe it’s a hardware issue. You’re probably best to contact Sonos Support via this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I’m having exactly the same issue. 

First the magnetic charging base stopped working but I could charge the Roam with the cable. 

Now it will not turn on at all. The orange light at the bottom is constant if it is connected to power, otherwise there is no light anymore, nothing at the top. And the buttons don’t seem to be doing nothing. Tried holding the Power button multiple times for a long period of time… with the Roam commected by cable and disconnected also. Nothing happens. Completely bricked except for the constant orange light at th bottom. 

I see you’ve only just joined the forum here today, I assume therefore that your Roam/charger is still under warranty, unless you’ve waited more than a year to suddenly post about your issue? - Anyhow, you are probably best to contact Sonos customer support and see what they may suggest. Here is a link to contact/chat to them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

Userlevel 7

Are you referring to the orange light on the base of the Roam? If so, place it on the charger and let it charge for a couple of hours.

From Sonos:

”When connected to power, Roam will display a solid orange light to indicate that it’s charging. After about 10 seconds, the light will turn off but Roam will continue to charge.

If the battery is depleted or has a very low charge, the orange light will stay on longer than 10 seconds until Roam has enough charge to turn on. This charging time will vary based on the power adapter Roam is using and how depleted the battery is. Once the battery light turns off, Roam may still require additional charging before it can be used on battery power.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I know you don't judge the health of somewhere by visiting a hospital etc. but there do seem to be lots of users with similar issues with the Roam to suggest to me there is an issue there. I have no clue how Roam sales compare to Move for example (assume more) but there are rarely such battery/completely dead issues with Move - especially compared to what is posted almost daily here regarding the Roam.

My Roam has also behaved well battery-wise but I would not use that to believe they must all be like that.

FWIW, I use mine off the charger and charge via USB when needed - and then fully power off until next time. I don't keep it docked on its official charger ever.

To complete my story on dead roam. I was able to return to Sonos and they replaced it with a new roam  they were flexible with the warranty. I bought in november 2021 an when coming home in november 2023 after sling holyfzy it was dead and I contacted Sonos in december. When trying to return via mediamarkt they said it was outside w warranty bund it would end up with a cost do I contacted Sonos directly and they sent a label to return for replacement. All was handelde. Within a week. So end good all good. And seamless service from Sonos 

Thanks for the advice. I have had it charging with the Sonos supplied USB-C block and cord for about 90 mins and the amber light stays solid. The speaker will not turn on.  I think something is wrong with the speaker.  

If you’ve tried the power button 20s+ reset off it’s charger a couple of times with no joy, then you are probably best to get in touch with Sonos Support Staff and see if they can maybe assist you.

Thanks Ken, yes I have tried a factory reset several times with no joy. I will call them tomorrow. 

Thanks Ken, yes I have tried a factory reset several times with no joy. I will call them tomorrow. 

Okay but please note that it’s not a factory reset I was referring to, it’s a PID power reset, where ‘off the charger’ (important) you press/hold the rear power button for quite a long time, at least 20s+ then connect the Roam to a USB-C charger for 30 minutes and rinse/repeat the process (off it’s charger). Anyhow I hope you get it sorted with Sonos Support. 👍

I think it is clear that the product has an intrinsic issue. Sonos is quick to offer replacements, and is clearly cognisant of the issue. It bothers me that Sonos is not willing to be more open about it, explaining what it is, and if they can/will or cannot solve it. 

Very frustrating to see so many devices go to waste, including all the shipping back and forth. If apparently still worth Sonos’ while, we the customers have clearly been paying way too much for the devices anyway. 

I think it is clear that the product has an intrinsic issue. Sonos is quick to offer replacements, and is clearly cognisant of the issue. It bothers me that Sonos is not willing to be more open about it, explaining what it is, and if they can/will or cannot solve it. 

Very frustrating to see so many devices go to waste, including all the shipping back and forth. If apparently still worth Sonos’ while, we the customers have clearly been paying way too much for the devices anyway. 

These things though, still do not explain why both the Roams here are still working fine. I’ve had them both over 3 years and they sit on the Sonos Qi charger, or I may charge them from time to time with a PD certified charger. I don’t let their lithium-ion batteries go flat, as leaving those type of batteries discharged for long periods is probably not going to do them much good, but the little speakers work fine and still play for 8 hours, or thereabouts, whilst off their charger, away from Home (we often take them with us when camping/glamping). Other family members and friends have the Sonos Roam too (purchased at different stages) and they’re working okay aswell. 

If there was a known faulty batch of Roams, then ‘yes’ I can understand that Sonos (as a responsible company) would replace those for people, but there have been some reports where, outside of the warranty period, they have not been replaced according to some threads I’ve read here in the community - so that makes me think it’s not a known issue, but perhaps a mix of things, such as users using under-powered 1A chargers and/or leaving them discharged for excessively long periods etc. This is only a bit of a guess of course, but I’ve not seen any issues here involving such devices belonging friends and family who use this little speaker. So it does not explain why our Roams choose to keep on working.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yesterday the Roam I purchased in the summer of 21 stopped working. It exhibited the same red light issue as described in the thread. After reading through this thread and trying the different suggestions I let it charge overnight and this morning it still failed to start. I phoned support and he ran through his scripted responses and troubleshooting which failed. Of course I knew it would but stayed patient. In the end after taking and verifying the serial number he said it would be replaced under warranty. There was discussion above by someone who said SONOS had this issue with Roams dated June 2021 (or something to that effect) - My Roam serial number had a date of 2106. The first part of the SN is “A100 2106WC”. The SN is found on the bottom of the Roam. You’ll need a well lit space to see it. I took a picture of it so I could magnify it.

My guess is there certainly were issues with Roams during this period or perhaps a recent s/w update had issues. Some people with this issue have only been offered 30% discounts on a new Roam. I got lucky I guess. 

Just went through the same thing.  Dead unit.  14 months old.  Customer service essentially said “sucks for you”. Offered me a 30% coupon to buy the same crappy speaker.  After I sent in my old one, which I’m sure they will resell after refurbished.  

Not a fan of Sonos after this

This forum has nothing to do with extended warranties, making posts about the fact that you have a product that is working as its intended. It’s clearly labeled “Sonos Roam Orange Light” - which is what I’m posting about. I suggest you start a new thread… preferably on a different website that is about the value of extended warranties (which is not even a Sonos offered product).

People following this thread are looking for info about this specific topic and how to get resolution, as well as to share similar experiences. I worked with Sonos customer service and found them to be helpful in finding a resolution, and I hope others do as well. It’s great to see a company stand behind their products; which is rare these days.

I have exactly the same issue as described by many above. Very worrying, and what an incredibly bad response from Sonos, thus far. The Roam was purchased in March 2022 (!).

Did you ever resolve this? I’ve had my Roam plugged in for days and it is still unresponsive. Orange light remains on solid but nothing happens when I push the power button.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi - another one with the exact same issue.

My Roam has spent all it’s days on the Sonos-supplied charging pad.  Suddenly it started manifesting this same issue about 2 weeks ago: when taken off the power, it is 100% dead.  On the charging pad - 100% dead.  On USB, the orange light at the bottom comes on, otherwise dead.  The orange light will change from solid to flashing sometimes.  This is after 4 days of being charged via the USB cable.

As a software engineer with a very dogged attitude towards troubleshooting, I’ve been very persistent at trying to get the Roam to connect.  After a LOT of messing around, I think the issue is that a software update might have bricked the Roam. 

On my PC, the Roam does not show up at all.  On my iPhone, the Roam shows up as ‘Not Connected’. After multiple attempts, I can get the Roam to very briefly connect - and it shows that the battery is 100% charged. It also tells me that the Roam requires a software update. A second later it falls off my system again, and the software update is not able to take place. I do the process again, and it shows ‘not connected’ for the next 10 times, then it will connect briefly, request an update, and drop off again. When the Roam drops off, my remaining Sonos system (7 speakers) say the system is up to date.  So I think there was an update about 2 weeks ago or so where the rest of the system got updated but the Roam didn’t and now it is non-functional.

Although the battery shows as 100% (and earlier showed at 97% so seems to be reading something),  the unit is totally dead and unresponsive when removed from the USB cable. 

----------

EDIT: After 40 minutes with chat support, they have confirmed that my unit is faulty and they will be sending me a replacement.

@User482341,

It maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App and either note/post it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the matter.

After charging for a while, remove the charger and hold the power button for 15 seconds. If you slip off the button, restart the interval. If the unit starts, fully charge the unit.

We cannot rule out hardware failure, probably the battery.

Userlevel 2
Badge

After charging for a while, remove the charger and hold the power button for 15 seconds. If you slip off the button, restart the interval. If the unit starts, fully charge the unit.

We cannot rule out hardware failure, probably the battery.

Thanks for the suggestion.  When I remove the unit from the charger, it is 100% dead, so holding the power button doesn’t appear to do anything.

Support have just confirmed my unit is defective.

It will not power on no matter how long I hold down the button. I’ve tried it with the power cable plugged in and without it but it doesn’t work.

As soon as I disconnect the power cable the orange light goes off and  then there are no lights at all no matter how long I hold the power button on the back.