Sonos Roam Orange Light

I have 2 sonos Roam speakers. One of which will not connect. I have not used this one for several months. All I get when placed on charger is the orange light but this goes out for after a couple of minutes then nothing. I’ve tried a different charger same thing. 

Airgetlam 7 months ago

Call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

View original

71 replies

I just experienced this. Support determined unit (bought in Oct/21) to be dead. They are sending a free replacement even it’s out-of-warranty. I was surprised by this, rep said it was due to my relationship with Sonos (I do have many, many devices at home).

Yup, well done Sonos! Accepted that my Roam was dead and replacement on its way. Refreshing to work with a tech company that takes its responsibilities seriously. Support agents polite and helpful.

5 stars

Sonos Support - Currently running through their advice which mirrors the steps in this forum and already tried!  Hopefully if it does not come back to life they will offer me a new one - not holding my breath...

To complete my story on dead roam. I was able to return to Sonos and they replaced it with a new roam  they were flexible with the warranty. I bought in november 2021 an when coming home in november 2023 after sling holyfzy it was dead and I contacted Sonos in december. When trying to return via mediamarkt they said it was outside w warranty bund it would end up with a cost do I contacted Sonos directly and they sent a label to return for replacement. All was handelde. Within a week. So end good all good. And seamless service from Sonos 

What did Sonos Support say, when you contacted them with this issue?

Same issue, solid orange light, remediation suggestions do not work. Sits  on a charging base which was off for a few days. Purchased Sept 2021. By contrast my Bose Soundlink Mini purchased in 2017 is still going strong. Pity, my other Sonos kit seemed to have settled down.

it worked fine for 2 years, i left it on the charging basesystematically, but now in december2023. it turned dead like desrcibed in this thread. i tried rhard reset with help of Sonos support, but nothing helped. i fear the battery is dead so i hope it cabn be returned and repaired even if it is outside their warranty period of 2 years. a pitty that a fine producyt like roam breaks just at the end of warranty.  with other sonos products, never had an issue ( five, one, oneSL). we’ll see where this goes, surely the battery is not top quality or it should be clear that keeping it loaded on the base is to be avoided. perhaps regularly depleting the battery helps for longer SONOS lifetime.

i bought/got aroam in november 2021. worked fine for 2 yea

Solution:  Orange light of death = The battery is dead. Fix it yourself! Order a replacement battery on Amazon for $20-ish.  Watch YouTube video on how to disassemble unit and get to battery.  If you are handy it will take you about an hour.  The hardest part is getting the case apart because of all the waterproof glue. 

New battery worked great for me!
-Jim

I had the same issue before, and eventually got RMA. But now RMA unit has the same issue. Personally, the rate of the system failure on this seem a bit too high...

Badge

Exact same issue here.  Did all the troubleshooting and now have a case open with Sonos.  They want me to charge it overnight….

Serial number has a 2112 date code.

I’ll update on the outcome.

I think it is clear that the product has an intrinsic issue. Sonos is quick to offer replacements, and is clearly cognisant of the issue. It bothers me that Sonos is not willing to be more open about it, explaining what it is, and if they can/will or cannot solve it. 

Very frustrating to see so many devices go to waste, including all the shipping back and forth. If apparently still worth Sonos’ while, we the customers have clearly been paying way too much for the devices anyway. 

These things though, still do not explain why both the Roams here are still working fine. I’ve had them both over 3 years and they sit on the Sonos Qi charger, or I may charge them from time to time with a PD certified charger. I don’t let their lithium-ion batteries go flat, as leaving those type of batteries discharged for long periods is probably not going to do them much good, but the little speakers work fine and still play for 8 hours, or thereabouts, whilst off their charger, away from Home (we often take them with us when camping/glamping). Other family members and friends have the Sonos Roam too (purchased at different stages) and they’re working okay aswell. 

If there was a known faulty batch of Roams, then ‘yes’ I can understand that Sonos (as a responsible company) would replace those for people, but there have been some reports where, outside of the warranty period, they have not been replaced according to some threads I’ve read here in the community - so that makes me think it’s not a known issue, but perhaps a mix of things, such as users using under-powered 1A chargers and/or leaving them discharged for excessively long periods etc. This is only a bit of a guess of course, but I’ve not seen any issues here involving such devices belonging friends and family who use this little speaker. So it does not explain why our Roams choose to keep on working.

I think it is clear that the product has an intrinsic issue. Sonos is quick to offer replacements, and is clearly cognisant of the issue. It bothers me that Sonos is not willing to be more open about it, explaining what it is, and if they can/will or cannot solve it. 

Very frustrating to see so many devices go to waste, including all the shipping back and forth. If apparently still worth Sonos’ while, we the customers have clearly been paying way too much for the devices anyway. 

I have two roam speakers.  The first one had the orange light issue.  Sonos replaced it. Then my second one had same issue. Although after warranty sonos replaced it. Now the first one they replaced has same issue.  So 3 speakers now.  And anyone that says I should have gotten extended warranties when the product is obviously full of issues is ridiculous.   So disappointing. 

I have exactly the same issue as described by many above. Very worrying, and what an incredibly bad response from Sonos, thus far. The Roam was purchased in March 2022 (!).

Userlevel 2

Same orange light issue as everyone else. Purchased my Roam in the spring of 2022, so about 18 months of life on the thing. Went through all the steps with support to confirm that the Roam is bricked. “Sorry but as it’s out of warranty the only thing we can do is offer a discount on a new product”… I pushed back on that response but the support person (who was otherwise very professional) wouldn’t budge. Sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making.

I have the exact same issue here. The speaker is no longer responding at all, just showing a solid orange light when plugged into power. 

So frustrating. Bought it in June 2022. 

So what is the charger / power output you are using? Have you done any troubleshooting? If so, what have you tried so far?

It no longer is charging on the cable-free Sonos charger. I charged with my Mac charger, iPad charger and the cable that cake with the Sonos directly. The usual reset did not work and also not the alternative way to reset (push power button for 30 secs, charge for 30 mins, try again…). It‘s completely dead unless I plug in a USB C charger and it steadily shines orange. 

It’s sounds like you have carried out the usual troubleshooting - it’s probably best to next contact Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  (if you haven’t taken that step yet) and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

I have the exact same issue here. The speaker is no longer responding at all, just showing a solid orange light when plugged into power. 

So what is the charger / power output you are using? Have you done any troubleshooting? If so, what have you tried so far?

It no longer is charging on the cable-free Sonos charger. I charged with my Mac charger, iPad charger and the cable that cake with the Sonos directly. The usual reset did not work and also not the alternative way to reset (push power button for 30 secs, charge for 30 mins, try again…). It‘s completely dead unless I plug in a USB C charger and it steadily shines orange. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yesterday the Roam I purchased in the summer of 21 stopped working. It exhibited the same red light issue as described in the thread. After reading through this thread and trying the different suggestions I let it charge overnight and this morning it still failed to start. I phoned support and he ran through his scripted responses and troubleshooting which failed. Of course I knew it would but stayed patient. In the end after taking and verifying the serial number he said it would be replaced under warranty. There was discussion above by someone who said SONOS had this issue with Roams dated June 2021 (or something to that effect) - My Roam serial number had a date of 2106. The first part of the SN is “A100 2106WC”. The SN is found on the bottom of the Roam. You’ll need a well lit space to see it. I took a picture of it so I could magnify it.

My guess is there certainly were issues with Roams during this period or perhaps a recent s/w update had issues. Some people with this issue have only been offered 30% discounts on a new Roam. I got lucky I guess. 

Call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I have the exact same issue. I leave the Roam on the charging base. Haven’t had any problems. Went to use it in August and the unit was dead. I assumed it was a faulty outlet and set it aside. Tried again to charge it last week. No lights on the Roam using the charge base. Used the USB cable and the orange light came on. Charged for several hours and the light stayed orange. The light goes off when unplugged and won’t power on at all. 

Well after an online chat with customer support today and trying a different reset technique than I had found online, I'm stumped too. My Roam is about 2 years old. Wireless charger does not turn the orange light on. Sonos provided USB cable/block turns the orange light on for about 10 seconds then nothing.

Why are so many people encountering the same issue? This is looking like something deeper than "sorry for your luck".  I have 4 Sonos One speakers and a Sonos Play speaker which are all amazing. Sonos needs to do something more substantial than "here's 30% off".

One more thing to add is that it seems that most people experiencing this problem have the Roam docked on the wireless charger. This could have something to do with it.

IMO from all the threads here and elsewhere that the roam has issues. If I was you I would consider get a different speaker with the 30% off if they give you the discount and move on from the roam. 

Agreed, might look at the Move instead. I liked the compact size of the Roam and the sound was good for a small portable speaker. Disappointing to say the least.

Well after an online chat with customer support today and trying a different reset technique than I had found online, I'm stumped too. My Roam is about 2 years old. Wireless charger does not turn the orange light on. Sonos provided USB cable/block turns the orange light on for about 10 seconds then nothing.

The battery LED is only supposed to show orange for 10secs - so it sounds like your device is working but likely has a depleted battery. Leave the Roam on charge for a couple of hours and then go onto try the power button reset - which is "off it’s charger" (important) - press and hold rear power button for 20+ seconds then return the Roam to its charger. If that doesn’t sort it, then leave it charging another couple of hours and once again “off it’s charger” try holding the power button again for 20+ seconds - those steps usually kick the Roam back to life, but ensure you give it a couple of hours on charge before trying the long press on the rear power button. Hope that sorts it for you. 👍

Oh trust me, I have allowed it to "charge" for more than enough hours/days in attempts to get it working. Tried all the reset procedures that I have read including this thread. Tried charging on the wireless dock. Tried charging with the Sonos provided block/USB C cable. Tried a different charger altogether. It will not charge and will not power on no matter what I do.

I don't want to just turn this into a $200+ paper weight but it's not looking good.