Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Shame on you Sonos

Thanks. It’s not exactly fantastic looking at how many here have had an issue and how long it’s going back without a fix. I’m based in Europe where warranty rules are very strong so I’ll reach out to them and see what happens but will be insisting on a replacement if they can’t fix it. I’ve two other Arcs with Apple TVs and subs etc with no issues so to me it’s a hardware issue. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

We did have a user many pages back that was affected and had a TV that used Dolby MAT for output. No Xbox or Apple TV had ever been hooked up. 

Just give up ProfessorFrag Sonos don´t care. You care but they are not.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Unfortunately, also need to report this issue. Started happening today when playing Xbox Series X on my LG C2 with the Arc connected. Really loud pop when playing Forza Horizon 5 and now it keeps returning. Hope Sonos comes through with an update to finally fix it for us all.

I had same issue yesterday night, it never happened before. Seems no solution available. In the meantime change XBOX audio output from ATMOS to DOLBY DIGITAL, not the best solution but it works

Badge +1

Called Sonos support today and was told that their level 2 team was “closed for new escalations” whatever in the world that means. They couldn’t elaborate and I was told that “maybe they have meetings today.” They also attempted to call the Level 3 team and said they “were not available.” I was told that someone “should” reach out to me. Advised to call back next week if no response.

@jgatie I disagree that it is not worthwhile. Though it might not be successful, the only way that we have seen any attention towards these issues is through more visibility. I think we have very clearly seen that 1000+ posts over three years hasn’t prompted Sonos to care all that much - but the Verge article and others seems to have at least gotten some attention. They have shown that they are only going to response when there is sufficient public pressure and visibility. 

i wonder what happened with tom warren set, did they fixed it for him, tried to ask him in twitter but he didn't respond 

its shame that sonos don't have anything to say about this issue, no ETA for fix

Userlevel 1

I have just spent an hour or so on xbox series one x playing a couple of games that were guaranteed to ‘pop’ with Atmos enabled and it hasn’t happened so far again, since update. But will reserve judgement just yet in case its related to the reboot as part of the update to v14.

Fingers crossed though!

Update: So still no popping after many hours of xbox series X and atmos enabled, playing the games that previously would pop without fail (Forza Horizon 5, MS Flight Sim, Cyberpunk 2077). I also watched a 4K bluray with an atmos soundtrack and no pops. I never had issues with other sources such as my Apple TV 4K or the inbuilt apps on the Sony A8J and thankfully still don’t. Still keeping fingers crossed and hoping its solved it but why for me and not you Jamie I don’t know :(

Called Sonos support today and was told that their level 2 team was “closed for new escalations” whatever in the world that means. They couldn’t elaborate and I was told that “maybe they have meetings today.” They also attempted to call the Level 3 team and said they “were not available.” I was told that someone “should” reach out to me. Advised to call back next week if no response.

@jgatie I disagree that it is not worthwhile. Though it might not be successful, the only way that we have seen any attention towards these issues is through more visibility. I think we have very clearly seen that 1000+ posts over three years hasn’t prompted Sonos to care all that much - but the Verge article and others seems to have at least gotten some attention. They have shown that they are only going to response when there is sufficient public pressure and visibility. 

No judge is going to allow a class action suit to go forward simply to bring attention to what is basically a consumer dispute.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Any luck with the 15.5 update?

Userlevel 2
Badge

i wonder what happened with tom warren set, did they fixed it for him, tried to ask him in twitter but he didn't respond 

its shame that sonos don't have anything to say about this issue, no ETA for fix

2 years from the first post. They will not fix it. Sell it or return the speakers if you can.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Unfortunately, also need to report this issue. Started happening today when playing Xbox Series X on my LG C2 with the Arc connected. Really loud pop when playing Forza Horizon 5 and now it keeps returning. Hope Sonos comes through with an update to finally fix it for us all.

Again, why there should be a warning on the Sonos Site declaring not to plug in an Xbox Series X to the Sonos Arc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Just a thought, has anyone tried to get any of the tech sites to cover this?  I’m thinking like Ars Technica or the like.  Some additional pressure and eyes on the issue might help get the ball rolling on this.

I have not. 

I was contacted by Sonos Level 2 Support regarding this. 

“Hello Stephen,

This is Bryan from Sonos Level 2 Support. I received your case. This case will be escalated to our Engineering team for further investigation, but I need to ask you a question first: What audio format are you playing when you experience these screeching sounds in your Sonos Arc (PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos...)?

I will be eagerly awaiting your answer.”

I let them know that it’s only when Atmos is in use and even linked them to this ongoing discussion. I also sent them the video one user posted above showing the issue at hand. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Not great for such an easily repeatable issue that affects so many users is being pushed under the carpet, and for almost 3 years. 

I think maybe getting more exposure might help getting this issue fast tracked as we’ve heard “we’re working on it” for far too long now. 

Linus Tech Tips have reviewed Sonos products (which were provided by Sonos) previously and they have a forum thread for complaints about sponsors. 

I’ve added a post summarising frustrations here: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1428939-lmg-sponsor-complaints/?do=findComment&comment=16165444

Perhaps if we get enough upvotes they may at least have a WAN show segment and prompt more action.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Presumably Sonos already knows if this is an all Arcs or some Arcs bug. But if they don’t, a more conservative start would be to send a new loaner to one, or maybe a few, users and see if it misbehaves.  

I’m having the same issue, with loud pop and no sound. I turn off/on my LG G2 TV and the sound comes back on. I didn’t have this issue until i have hooked up an Apple TV 4K gen 2. The loud pop doesn’t happen too frequently, but it happens. 

Within 20 minutes of the issue occurring again, submit a Sonos diagnostic report from the ‘Settings/Support’ area of the Sonos App. Make a note of the reference generated, and when practicable, contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff about the matter via this LINK and see what they can suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Thanks. It’s not exactly fantastic looking at how many here have had an issue and how long it’s going back without a fix. I’m based in Europe where warranty rules are very strong so I’ll reach out to them and see what happens but will be insisting on a replacement if they can’t fix it. I’ve two other Arcs with Apple TVs and subs etc with no issues so to me it’s a hardware issue.  

That is interesting — assuming the others are both using Dolby Atmos, also?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hey, I read online disabling the auto HDR feature on the Xbox and switching audio delay to on with the arcana should stop this happening. I have an arcana too and this is what the engineers who make the arcana suggest on their discord 🙂 If you give this a go and let us know if it works that'd be brilliant. In the process of testing this myself 

Thanks for sharing that, @DC92. Has anyone been able to confirm that doing this has helped?

Userlevel 1
Badge

The popping is really upsetting… looking forward to a fix soon!

Brand new customer with LG C3 OLED, ARC, Sub Gen 3 and 2 ERA 300s.  Had this happen to me twice last night, sounded like the Arc was going to explode.  The status light was flashing on it as well.  Sound eventually came back, but I was worried to use it anymore.

I use my Windows 11 PC over HDMI to the TV to play video games - was playing Cyberpunk 2077 with Dolby Atmos turned on and with 4k gfx.  Support says they want me to submit diagnositcs after it happens again but I’m like damn...what if it damages the speaker?  Hope they would cover it if that’s their advice

It worked for 3-4 days and all the sudden the pop happened again. The update didn't fix it for me.

My daughter told me when it started happening just recently she had it happen to her about 10 months ago when it was just installed. That was before all the Apple TV updates etc. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s certainly an interesting tidbit about it being the TV manufacturers fault and not Sonos.  If I had to read between the lines it’s either a problem with the eARC ports technical standards, the passthrough mechanism or the CEC which we have discussed at length on this forum

Certainly is tough to understand how all the TV manufacturers get this wrong the same way if there isn’t a deep rooted problem with one of the specs the TV uses

Either way, I expect a fix from someone. But I just don’t see this as being a TV manufacturer problem. If it is, Sonos needs to work with them and find a solution. With that said, I don’t believe it’s on the TV manufacturers. That sounds like a cop out. 

I have a Sony A80J. Has anyone had issues with an LG or Samsung?

I have the same issue with my ATV 4K (1st gen) + Samsung QE65Q90 (trough eARC). My sonos setup is Arc, 2xOneSL and the Sub. Got this specifically for Dolby Atmos. Experience 4-5 sound cut outs during every single dolby atmos movie.

Bought my Arc in march 2021, and did not have this issue until iOS update 15-16 (do not remember exactly which one). Have been waiting for Sonos to release a fix for about a year. Reading this thread it seems we are not even getting close.

The setup set me back around 20 k. Nice to see Sonos giving a damn about their costumers…

Badge

Welp. Just started having popping issues with my arc. Started with a few very loud pops during the Apple Keynote, which to no surprise, was using Dolby. Have also started having this when using Xbox, which according to this thread is also not surprising. Really disappointed, as I have only had it for a few months now and never had any issues during the return period.

My setup includes:

- Arc + Symfonisk Surrounds + Sub Mini
- LG C2 OLED
- Apple TV & Xbox Series S

I tried turning off CEC and power cycling with the TV and Apple TV, which seemed to help for a while. But came back on the Xbox as soon as I switched over. Guess I will also disable CEC on the Xbox and try again. 

It's wild that this has been going on for so long with no solution. Makes me kind of regret getting into Sonos, after loving it for so long. 

Or perhaps if it’s a CEC bug…..

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

That’s certainly an interesting tidbit about it being the TV manufacturers fault and not Sonos.  If I had to read between the lines it’s either a problem with the eARC ports technical standards, the passthrough mechanism or the CEC which we have discussed at length on this forum

Certainly is tough to understand how all the TV manufacturers get this wrong the same way if there isn’t a deep rooted problem with one of the specs the TV uses

I have a Sony A80J. Has anyone had issues with an LG or Samsung?

I’ve had the problem happen on both Sony and LG TVs in my exact same setup.  I swapped out TVs over a year ago