Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Called Sonos support today and was told that their level 2 team was “closed for new escalations” whatever in the world that means. They couldn’t elaborate and I was told that “maybe they have meetings today.” They also attempted to call the Level 3 team and said they “were not available.” I was told that someone “should” reach out to me. Advised to call back next week if no response.

@jgatie I disagree that it is not worthwhile. Though it might not be successful, the only way that we have seen any attention towards these issues is through more visibility. I think we have very clearly seen that 1000+ posts over three years hasn’t prompted Sonos to care all that much - but the Verge article and others seems to have at least gotten some attention. They have shown that they are only going to response when there is sufficient public pressure and visibility. 

Hi @William_61 et al

We are aware of this behaviour and are investigating it, but we do not have any additional information to share on a resolution at this time. 

We are also aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem. Some users have reported it with in-built TV apps, so it is not limited to X-Box and Apple TV owners.

The issue only happens when playing Atmos content, so in the meantime, you can prevent this from happening by disabling Atmos audio on the TV or source device - not ideal, I know, but if it has happened to you before and you are concerned about it happening again, this step would prevent it.

I hope this helps.

Dear Corry,

Is there any update on this issue? Where can Sonos customers track and see updates for this issue?

Many thanks.

sorry i thought you had xbox plugged in.  Mostly people have problem with xbox and apple tv.  I've never heard of a problem with native TV apps

@Eric F - No, neither have I, maybe a different issue. If not done already and you encounter the issue again, it might be worthwhile submitting a system diagnostic and note, or post, it’s reference back here and then contact/chat with the Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see if they can help with your issue.

Had my Arc about 3 weeks now and it’s happened nearly every time I watch Dolby Atmos material. 

I have my Oled tv connected to my arc via HDMI to eARC socket on tv.

It’s popped on 3 occasions twice watching Netflix on tv app and once watching Apple TV also on the app.

I use my Apple TV 4K box to play Apple Music through the arc and haven’t had any issues so far.

Any ideas WTF Sonos are doing about this? 

Had a play bar for about 6 years before the arc with no problems.

Because it doesn’t happen on all systems, for instance on mine, which are Vizios, and all reports seem to be centered around either XBox or Apple TV devices. If it’s limited to specific types of device inputs, and doesn’t occur across all types of TV sets, that suggests at least the possibility that the event is occurring upstream from the Sonos device. 

In the past, when there has been an issue with Sonos, they’ve been pretty clear about admitting it as a cause, and indicated that they were working on the issue. At one point, there was a thread with thousands of posts from users of the PLAYBAR that were experiencing an issue. So far, Sonos has not said anything about this issue being on their side. 

None of that is definitive proof, mind you, but I would also assert there is no definitive proof in these forums that it happens to be a Sonos issue. You’re certainly welcome to draw your own conclusions, and would likely be as accurate as I am. I’m open to any potential solution to the problem. But, if it happens not to be a Sonos software issue, I logically can’t expect them to fix it. If it is indeed their issue, I expect them to own it, admit it, and rectify it. So far, none of those items have occurred. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had my Arc about 3 weeks now and it’s happened nearly every time I watch Dolby Atmos material. 

I have my Oled tv connected to my arc via HDMI to eARC socket on tv.

It’s popped on 3 occasions twice watching Netflix on tv app and once watching Apple TV also on the app.

I use my Apple TV 4K box to play Apple Music through the arc and haven’t had any issues so far.

Any ideas WTF Sonos are doing about this? 

Had a play bar for about 6 years before the arc with no problems.

You can gather diagnostics from the Sonos App and submit it to support. Their claim to me is that they will fix this issue soon. Don’t know what soon means plus it appears to be happening often.

while I’m new the Sonos world, my guess is the Playbar does not have the full bandwidth needed to support eARC and Dolby Atmos content, which explains why you never experienced it before.

Do you experience the same issues with the same apps/content that are built into your TV? In my case, I have not experienced the issue when playing Atmos content from webOS directly (I have an LG OLED) when compared to either the Apple TV or Xbox Series X.

Badge

um, the symptom was the same - a loud shot as in the video above.  only that it was able to shoot in the menu on xbox when I had the CEC function turned on under x on the pad, automatic change of signal input on xbox.  pressing x quickly several times could trigger this loud sound bang several times.  After disabling the CEC feature, is ok 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@KrylonBlue thats right ! I have enough of this *** . They kept on ignoring this issue. Telling us the engineers are working on the fix , for two years !!!! How many damn cars have already completed production in two years ?! This is such a simple fix by software , I’m going to call CS on Monday and demand my refund on my ARC that was purchased back in 2020 !

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I've had a few instances of the sound popping and then my system restarting on a Beam Gen 2 with sub and surrounds set up. I got in touch with Sonos at the start of January who advised to factory reset everything which I did but it was a massive headache doing so.

Yesterday the issue happened again, so I got in touch with customer support via the chat and they have confirmed that the issue is well known for the Arc but as it's not typical of the Beam they have been able to arrange a replacement.

That’s very interesting. Let us know if getting new hardware has fixed the problem. What’s your setup? Apple TV? Xbox? I find listening to a Spatial Audio playlist in Apple Music on Apple TV to be a reliable trigger for the pop. But of course, that’s after it happened for the first time. When I first got Sonos Arc, Atmos worked for a while before the Arc started malfunctioning. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Blunderdome, what TV hardware do you have?

Gathered you were running 4K/120 with VRR enabled?  

Paul Tsang, same question to you?

Sony A90J tv , 120hz VRR . I have no issue on Apple TV , I heard changing setting on the Apple TV to match content to dynamic range and frame rate then the pop won’t happens

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well, I’ve about had it with this. The final straw now was the Sonos decision to discontinue their email support option. I had a dialogue with the technicians there, but on my most recent response, I now get the auto-reply: “This email address is no longer monitored, instead you can reach us by submitting your question via the web at http://support.sonos.com.” Amazing. Thanks, Sonos. Is anyone interested in pursuing a class action. I don’t know how feasible it will be, but I am at least interested in looking into the issue. I really wish it didn’t come to this. If they had demonstrated ANY commitment to addressing the issue or making things right for those of us affected, we wouldn’t be at this point. I’m waiting for them to whitewash this entire thread soon, to be honest.

Just sell all of your Sonos speakers. They don´t care.

I just had the same issue occur, which brought me to this thread.  I have an Arc, sub gen 3, and Play:1s for surrounds.  I’ve had the Arc for three months and the sub for two weeks.  First time this has happened.

I submitted diagnostic report number 726247310.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi all,

To throw my 2¢ in here, as I've read the entire thread after experiencing issues (daily) myself, I'm running a very similar set-up to many of you:

Sony Bravia X90H

Xbox S, Switch, Arc, PS5 (in order of HDMI 1-4 slots)

The popping noise has only come about when playing Xbox, and was happening 2-3 times each evening. I opened a ticket with support during the day, and after getting home power cycled the Arc as well as swapping out the HDMI cable (just in case) before submitting a diagnostic.

Support said things looked good on their end, but I imagine what did the trick more so was disabling Auto HDR on the Xbox. After turning that feature off I had no sound disruption at all last night, even after ~4 hours of gaming. I'll post an edit/update if they come back, but compared to the last few weeks that's already a vast improvement. 

One thing I'd like to note is the rep stated I may want to remove all other HDMI devices plugged in to the TV when using the Arc, which was an... interesting suggestion. Not sure I'm willing to use the Arc only when using streaming services via my TV. 

Similarly, kinda, is that I changed from 4k50 SDR to 4k50 Dolby Vision in my Apple TV video settings last night.  Made it through The Book of Boba Fett without issue, but will report back if anything *does* happen in the near future.

Mainly because it seems that whilst the Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen) is advertised at supporting DV over AirPlay for Photos, it only seems to work if the video output is DV by default—it won’t “upgrade” SDR to DV when starting an AirPlay stream (as it would everything else).

Whilst I can’t comprehend why video settings would affect audio; AV stuff, tracing all way back to good ol’ RF signals, is a tricky beast.

Same issue!  Loud pop then no audio.  Sonos Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Has there been any updates I’ve missed, this thread has died lately. 

Nothing major. We now have some workaround hacks, each of which work for some users:

1. Disable CEC and power cycle (works for me).
  2. Disable Dolby Vision (does not work for me).
  3. Disable Trueplay (haven’t tried).
  4. Disable Atmos (works for everyone, bug ugh).
  5. Don’t use Apple TV, Xbox, or PS5 (Lol! Some people actually think that’s a legitimate solution.)

I think as a consequence of these hacks and continued radio silence from Sonos, there’s just not been much to discuss.

Sell your speakers and write in all forums you can, that they don´t care.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I don’t know if anybody’s experience mimics my own.  But I can keep the problem at bay by doing a weekly power cycle on the Sonos Arc

Its almost like the running software starts to become less reliable over time and I’ve noticed if I go a more than a few weeks between reboots my system is more inclined to pop….never before though

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m having the same issue, with loud pop and no sound. I turn off/on my LG G2 TV and the sound comes back on. I didn’t have this issue until i have hooked up an Apple TV 4K gen 2. The loud pop doesn’t happen too frequently, but it happens. 

I just came home with a brand new Arc and set it up with my Samsung S95B.  I enabled Atmos on my Series X and everything appeared ok.  

I loaded up Overwatch 2 and less than a minute into the game…“POP” and the sound cut off.  :|   I quit out of the game and there was another smaller pop and then the audio returned. This is very disheartening. 
 I was aware of this issue from browsing the forums but was hoping I wouldn’t be affected or at least not often.  

I captured a diagnostic and called Sonos support and they basically just said since my sound had returned the issue was fixed and if it happens again to call back.  They seemed very dismissive of the popping sound/cutoff occurring which is obviously what the concern is. 

I don’t know what to do now as far as keeping or returning.  Again this is very disheartening after spending $1000.    I’m already scared to leave Atmos enabled but and not sure if it’s worth it without it. 

I know this has been a long standing issue but is there any acknowledgment or confidence that this will be resolved?

It sounds like a real frustrating issue and it has always seemed to me, as an outsider looking in, just reading about the matter, to be quite prevalent whenever there’s an XBox, or Apple TV 4K, in the mix.

Support Staff here have said they are aware of the issue, but seem to speak as though the problem lies elsewhere and outside the control of Sonos, but that’s just some speculation on my part, although other brands of soundbar apparently have the same issue too.

I would definitely take your issue back to Sonos Support if it happens again and try to gather video and diagnostic evidence, as that perhaps may help with the ongoing issue etc.

Badge +2

Same problem with PS5 beta firmware and a Samsung Q95T connected using e-arc.

Hi all,

I have a Sonos Arc and Sub Gen 3. 
They’ve been “exploding” on occasion… I’d say once in every ten times I use it. I have it connected to my PC via the eARC port on my LG 42” C2 which I use for gaming. I have Dolby Atmos selected in my PC sound options for the LG TV output. It’s very loud when it bangs. The TV screen flickers and Arc restarts when it happens. 

I just a got off the phone with Sonos support and like others have mentioned, they now seem to be taking the issue seriously. They acknowledge that a software issue exists and that their engineers are working on a fix but no timeframe at the moment. 

I can’t get CEC to disable on this TV… just keeps coming back on, so no workaround for me. I refuse to use Dolby 5.1… I didn’t spend £800 for audio I could get from my old Sonos PlayBase. 

Cheers

Userlevel 2
Badge

To be crystal clear the first post in this thread is 2 years old. Live with it or sell your Sonos speakers. They don´t care and can not fix it. I have sold my speakers to a person that only uses his phone to control them. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I can confirm that Sonos 14 hasn’t fixed the issue, neither has tvOS 15.3.

Just experienced the issue minutes after starting a purchased iTunes Movie on the Apple TV.

Badge

This loud pop and audio loss just happened to me while on my Xbox series x.  Controller was idle for a bit, picked it up and went to select a game and then a loud ass POP!  Scared the crap out of me.  I had to unplug/replug the Arc to get audio back.  

Diagnostic code:  757099552

I wouldn’t think so, since it doesn’t appear to be Apple TV or Sonos only, at this point. 

Userlevel 1

Diagnostic info sent in case it might be of any help: 1973970356