Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2

@Cavecanem just to clarify for slower folks like myself: all you changed was Sonos Arc to Sennheiser Ambeo and the pop is gone?

Correct. Since the AMBEO has 4 HDMI ins I played a little to se if it changed anything or something happened. First all connected to the TV and TV to soundbar…nothing, all ok. Then I did it the other way around…nothing, all ok. I left all connected to the soundbar and works like a charm, all CEC enabled and working smooth like mountain fresh snow.

Same issue reoccurring since few months ago and it seems more frequent recently.

Sonos Arc / Sub (Gen3) / One SL’s (Gen 2 x2)

TV is Sony X900H

Source is Apple TV 4K

Diagnostic number 2051423738

Userlevel 2

@Cavecanem just to clarify for slower folks like myself: all you changed was Sonos Arc to Sennheiser Ambeo and the pop is gone?

Wow, that’s amazing! Who would have thunk?!

Xmas miracle in June.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@DC92 Hi, Be great to know any of the feedback you get via email in the end if that’s possible please, would certainly help with any next steps.👍

Hey, Not heard from Sonos just yet, saw my local currys had one in stock (where I bought it from) So I took it in for a replacement and the new one sounds miles better :) 

I’ll see what SONOS return with anyway and pop it in here when they eventually reply. I’ll ask them what they would’ve done had I not replaced it already too just so other people with this issue know how to proceed.

Cheers

That’s brilliant cheers mate. Good that currys swapped it usually they make things a bit hard sometimes and the fact you noticed a difference is really interesting! Thanks again for the update.

Hey, Sonos got back to me and asked me to do the following in order to test for damage to the speakers:

“As simple test to confirm, Trueplay. Please attempt to Trueplay the Arc in a 5.0 surround set up as well as while a stand along player. Please capture a diagnostic after each tune and let me know the outcome”

As I can’t do this now I’ve replaced the arc I’ve shifted the question to whether Sonos are looking into this issue we’ve all started experiencing recently. Whether it’s something they’re aware of and how we can avoid this pop sound. If it caused damage to my ARC then I’d imagine some other will follow. I’ll update again when they return with answer 

cheers

Brilliant update, thanks for taking the time to do that much appreciated!!

Not a problem, still waiting for a response. I have read somewhere that the auto HDR feature on Xbox sometimes causes the pop to occur. It happens when the image type and audio changes. So this apparently fixes the problem (not tried it) but may be worth trying :)

Would be great to have this resolved. ARC popping on the Xbox series x, Lg C2 is becoming more frequent. I think. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have an Xbox One X attached to the Arc via the HD Fury Arcana, and I have also had the LOUD POP. 

Its proper frightening when it happens. It sounds like a gun going off in the room. 

This has happened at least a dozen times but it has always been at-random. 

I don't think my speakers were ruined but if this happened more frequently I would be concerned. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I’m reading in the YouTube replies on the video that some have had Sonos replace their Arc. Has anyone here had a replacement and did it help? How long had you owned your Arc when they agreed to replace it? I got mine very early on in it’s availability and the popping has been going on for nearly 2 years. 

Badge

Yo he vendido ya mi SONOS Beam 2 , se acabo la espera

he adquirido otra marca que este mas atenta a los errores de sus productos 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

I have owned my arc since release and never had an issue. I use my Apple TV every day with Dolby atmos. Never had a pop. Noticed the other day that Atmos was now available on ps5 so enabled it. 

played Jedi survivor for a whole week with no issues. 

soon as I started playing Spider-Man 2 tonight I get a huge pop and no audio. Have to change inputs to get audio back. Play for 45 seconds huge loud pop and no audio. 

tv is a Sony A80J. 

​​Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

there you go ! As I always say when you play games on 120hz with VRR on the POP happens . You probably didn’t play any games on VRR with 120hz before therefore you never experienced it 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have an Xbox One X attached to the Arc via the HD Fury Arcana, and I have also had the LOUD POP. 

Its proper frightening when it happens. It sounds like a gun going off in the room. 

This has happened at least a dozen times but it has always been at-random. 

I don't think my speakers were ruined but if this happened more frequently I would be concerned. 

Hey, I read online disabling the auto HDR feature on the Xbox and switching audio delay to on with the arcana should stop this happening. I have an arcana too and this is what the engineers who make the arcana suggest on their discord :) If you give this a go and let us know if it works that'd be brilliant. In the process of testing this myself 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I spoke too soon.  Had it occur during Kenobi last night.

Womp womp.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I have owned my arc since release and never had an issue. I use my Apple TV every day with Dolby atmos. Never had a pop. Noticed the other day that Atmos was now available on ps5 so enabled it. 

played Jedi survivor for a whole week with no issues. 

soon as I started playing Spider-Man 2 tonight I get a huge pop and no audio. Have to change inputs to get audio back. Play for 45 seconds huge loud pop and no audio. 

tv is a Sony A80J. 

​​Spider-Man 2 is running at 120hz with HDR and VRR. 

there you go ! As I always say when you play games on 120hz with VRR on the POP happens . You probably didn’t play any games on VRR with 120hz before therefore you never experienced it 

Jedi survivor is 120hz VRR I believe. Anyway played Spider-Man all day today and it didn’t happen so no idea what’s going on. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Has anyone reached out to Xbox or Apple directly regarding this issue? Considering Sonos hasn’t directly addressed this issue in 2+ years, I’m starting to wonder if it’s something they can even fix at all. Might be worth a try. 

Badge

I've had a few instances of the sound popping and then my system restarting on a Beam Gen 2 with sub and surrounds set up. I got in touch with Sonos at the start of January who advised to factory reset everything which I did but it was a massive headache doing so.

Yesterday the issue happened again, so I got in touch with customer support via the chat and they have confirmed that the issue is well known for the Arc but as it's not typical of the Beam they have been able to arrange a replacement.

I experience the same. Xbox Series X - Atmos… Signal comes via eARC from an Sony XH9000.

My Diagnostic 1540348382

Badge

This has happened twice to me so far.  Here’s a video from last night.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K1MCjDXJqxQPg3Nx6

Is there any fix?  Does Sonos even acknowledge the problem?

Turn off HDMI CEC on Xbox settings. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Well, I’ve about had it with this. The final straw now was the Sonos decision to discontinue their email support option. I had a dialogue with the technicians there, but on my most recent response, I now get the auto-reply: “This email address is no longer monitored, instead you can reach us by submitting your question via the web at http://support.sonos.com.” Amazing. Thanks, Sonos. Is anyone interested in pursuing a class action. I don’t know how feasible it will be, but I am at least interested in looking into the issue. I really wish it didn’t come to this. If they had demonstrated ANY commitment to addressing the issue or making things right for those of us affected, we wouldn’t be at this point. I’m waiting for them to whitewash this entire thread soon, to be honest.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

There is, devices that use the Dolby MAT container for Atmos (Xbox, Apple TV and now Roku).   There was some debate before as to whether the TV passing through the MAT signal was doing it properly and since I’ve had failure with two different TVs now.  I’m more confident it has nothing to do with the TV passing through the signal but the signal itself

Same model of TV? Same brand, different models? 

Different models

Sony x900H to start, LG C1 now

Userlevel 2
Badge

Looking at the thread on the Sonos subreddit, I'm surprised to see so many users who had the bang once or twice and it went away; or who have configurations identical to ours but no problems.

Could this be just specific Arcs malfunctioning? Has anybody had their unit exchanged and the problem came back?

If this were as straightforward as "we need new units", that would blow my mind.

I know at least one person in this thread had theirs replaced with the issue remaining.  However, I am starting to think maybe we do have defective units with the data we are getting, and maybe that person got yet another defective unit.  If that is the case I am hoping Sonos will stand by their product and customers and issue replacements without needing legal action.

Number of class action suits threatened by Sonos users over the years - Hundreds.

Number of class action suits actually filed - One (and the “class” consisted of exactly one complainant)

Number of class action suits won - Zero

Save your lawyers the time and wait for it to be fixed. 

This has happened twice to me so far.  Here’s a video from last night.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/K1MCjDXJqxQPg3Nx6

Is there any fix?  Does Sonos even acknowledge the problem?

Turn off HDMI CEC on Xbox settings. 

This seems like a terrible solution to this problem, I’ll give a whirl though.

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Looking at the thread on the Sonos subreddit, I'm surprised to see so many users who had the bang once or twice and it went away; or who have configurations identical to ours but no problems.

Could this be just specific Arcs malfunctioning? Has anybody had their unit exchanged and the problem came back?

If this were as straightforward as "we need new units", that would blow my mind.

@Corry P I think if this issue has not been totally reproduced by SONOS using brand new equipment, maybe it’s a good idea to buyback / replace products that has been reported with issue in this tread and then study / cross check with new equipment.

@ProfessorFrag has a good point, if this issue related to hardware malfunction then we may need new units.

No i did not setup trueplay with any iphone.  It doesn't pop that often but it does stop playing sound does something like a reset or something the light on top starts pulsing after it.  Dolby Atmos is on, it is connected to my pc with a Arcana Earc converter between my pc and my sonos.

Hi - same issue here while watching TV, not playing games. Diagnostic number 990074139. Has been happening for a couple of months and has happened several times tonight while watching CODA on AppleTV. Thanks! Paul

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I’d like to know too because this has to be fixed soon. I don’t care if they have to replace it or release a software update. Enough is enough. 

im about to stop recommending Sonos to clients, which is quite often, if they don’t give us an update soon.