Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of the Sonos Arc. At this point, I’m chalking this up as an inherent design flaw of the Arc and that this issue won’t be resolved until the release of the Arc 2. If it hasn’t been fixed by now, it probably never will…

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I see it. I really don’t know what I should do. I'm on the verge of selling all Sonos products, simply because I don't think Sonos is bothered to solve the problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

I haven’t yet had time to test the software fix, holidays and all. Do we have reports from affected users yet if Arc/Beam2 are fixed now?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Came across something interesting on Reddit 

https://www.reddit.com/r/sonos/comments/y9d84i/apple_tv_spatial_audio_with_sonos_arc_issue_fix/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

In this post the user has the same issue discussed many times in this forum, however making changes to the video setting seems to have fixed his issues.

Wondering if this is a Dolby Vision / Dolby Atmos combination thing?  I know for me I get this issue on the Xbox series X and have both activated all the time.  I don’t get this on the Apple TV because I match dynamic range settings

What are others experiences??

Badge +1

I’m living with the CEC-off solution at the moment. The least annoying compromise for me.

I still expect Sonos to acknowledge the issue in an FAQ or disclaimer though. New customers should be warned about the potential problem so that they can make an informed decision. 

I really wonder why this problem occurs with so many different patterns. For me, for example, it doesn't do any good to turn off CEC. I turned it off on the Xbox and the TV and the bang still comes with Dolby Atmos. The only thing that works for me is switching to Dolby Digital 5.1

Have you tried factory reset and not to trueplay?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Every Sonos Arc is NOT affected. I’ve had one for maybe 4 years without a single POP. 

And the blame game redirection implies that it’s not any one thing- like not just AppleTV or Xbox or PS5 or a television or a cable or ATMOS setting on or CEC setting on. There’s too many different third party potential catalysts while others have no issue for me to believe it’s any 1+ (external) thing. 

I go back to the common denominator- the Arc itself- (me) guessing either a bad batch (if hardware) or something in on-board software is driving this issue. It’s easier to sling blame at other stuff but look at the example I offered:

• my own has never popped in maybe 4 years of ownership
  • my friends was fine for a few hours before running Trueplay, then pop-mania for anything that generated audio (including stereo music or just touching the buttons on the arc) starting immediately AFTER running Trueplay, then factory reset + setup again but skipping Trueplay step: no more pops for weeks now. All other variables & settings (TV, cable, sources of video & audio, etc remain consistently the same) but no more pops. What changed? For them, it was not re-running Trueplay on a fresh setup. If not Trueplay (bug, which some have since seemed to negate), the factory reset seemed to fix it. 

If it’s ATMOS or CEC or TV or cable, it would consistently repeat by using that same tech and the same settings. But it seems that it is not replicable for many, which implies it is probably NOT much of the stuff getting the (redirection) blame. 

I have to think it is some bugs in software or a bad batch of hardware production. Else, if it is any one thing, someone could:

• set up an Arc, hook it to the catalyst thing, generate pops.
  • Factory reset, bypass the catalyst thing, no pops.
  • Insert the catalyst thing again, generate pops. 

Pinning it down like this would allow others to run the same test, generate the same result and then the blame game would have more credibility… and SONOS themselves could execute the same test to replicate it themselves. Instead, we have 45 pages of “my setup is generating pops” with others saying “my <different> setup is generating pops” and other people sharing their same setup does NOT generate pops or that their Arc- like my own- has NEVER popped. 

Collectively find an absolute, repeatable cause & effect catalyst, repeated/repeatable on more than one Arc and it would give SONOS an absolute point of focus. As is, we’re all over the place with possible causes and possible remedies with others countering each guess. 

I think it’s absolutely within their capability to fix this, but they’re far more driven by money and new products. 

i would push back on just blaming the arc though as there’s other sound bars which have the issue 

Which soundbars and how often it occurs ?

LG SK9Y and a few others. 

won’t know the frequency but perhaps you can ask on the Reddit posts of other brands that are complaining about it.

Add another one to annoying popping noise on the arc.

Using a lg c1. It also happened on my Sony xbr940e. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

For me it did not help, unfortunately. 10 Minutes in on Xbox got the pop in the menu.

Isn’t it funny how in the past few months, more and more and more and more posts involve an Xbox? How is it that Sonos has not been able to recreate this error on their end? The answer is obvious. 

Why they have yet to issue a warning or acknowledge this issue, involves reputation and sales. Which going forward, I will endeavor to warn anyone I know who is eyeing a Sonos Arc, and if they’ve already purchased one to NEVER plug in an Xbox product to the Sonos Arc.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Tomorrow is the 3 year anniversary of the Sonos Arc. At this point, I’m chalking this up as an inherent design flaw of the Arc and that this issue won’t be resolved until the release of the Arc 2. If it hasn’t been fixed by now, it probably never will…

Unfortunately, that's exactly how I see it. I really don’t know what I should do. I'm on the verge of selling all Sonos products, simply because I don't think Sonos is bothered to solve the problem.

I don’t blame you for thinking about selling. I still enjoy my Sonos system overall, but having deficiencies when watching Atmos content is very disappointing.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

Yup! You can also go into the Sonos App, System, About My System when listening to Atmos if you have a Dolby MAT source (Apple TV, Xbox, soon PS5). 

If it just says Atmos, you’re good. If it says Atmos (DD+), it’s being downgraded. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m living with the CEC-off solution at the moment. The least annoying compromise for me.

I still expect Sonos to acknowledge the issue in an FAQ or disclaimer though. New customers should be warned about the potential problem so that they can make an informed decision. 

I really wonder why this problem occurs with so many different patterns. For me, for example, it doesn't do any good to turn off CEC. I turned it off on the Xbox and the TV and the bang still comes with Dolby Atmos. The only thing that works for me is switching to Dolby Digital 5.1

Have you tried factory reset and not to trueplay?

trueplay off, yes
factory reset before trueplay off, no

But I don't really feel like doing factory settings either, then I have to re-connect my surround speakers and the sub and if it doesn't work, then it's for nothing.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

We have a response, but all it largely says is that they can’t reproduce the issue. I’m going to offer to ship my TV, Sonos Arc, and Xbox to Sonos.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/8/10/23824258/sonos-arc-dolby-atmos-problems-loud-audio-pop

It would be so much easier for them to fly one of their engineers out for a few days and pay you for using your home to test it. 🤣

Weird experience today. (LG C3, Sonos arc + mini sub + surrounds) Was on Xbox Series X just sitting in settings, forget what I was doing but looked down at my phone for a bit, LOUD pop, followed by 3 or 4 smaller pops. Hadn't experienced ‘echo’ pops before.

It's just so weird because native apps have Atmos and they're fine. I don't think I’ve experienced it on the PS5 once, but using my Xbox Series X is like russian roulette. And only since getting the LG set. Used for years on Samsung (no earc) with no problems.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

New Arc owner here. With Sony now rolling out the PS5’s Atmos update, should I be cautious of using that mode for audio output?

Based on what I have read on reddit, yes. The PS5 uses Atmos via MAT as well, which appears to be the cause of the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Weird experience today. (LG C3, Sonos arc + mini sub + surrounds) Was on Xbox Series X just sitting in settings, forget what I was doing but looked down at my phone for a bit, LOUD pop, followed by 3 or 4 smaller pops. Hadn't experienced ‘echo’ pops before.

It's just so weird because native apps have Atmos and they're fine. I don't think I’ve experienced it on the PS5 once, but using my Xbox Series X is like russian roulette. And only since getting the LG set. Used for years on Samsung (no earc) with no problems.

Your Xbox setting probably were 120hz and VRR on ?

Hi  I’ve just had the same problem I  was watching YouTube on Xbox series x and the arc popped like something had blown then no sound changed over to sky and sound came back then about twenty minutes later it did it again while watching YouTube on Xbox series x it’s seems ok now but do you know what’s causing this as this thread been going for sometime now without any solution 

Badge

Same thing here. I experienced it last night for the first time and then again just now. Last night it was while turning on Ted lasso on the Apple TV+ app and now on Disney +. 

I am using: a

Samsung KS8000

Apple TV 4K

Sonos Arc

2x Sonos Ones

Gen 3 Sub

I also experienced the loud loud pops then only audio from the surround speakers continuing to play. 

Diagnostic report 1030162427

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

For me it did not help, unfortunately. 10 Minutes in on Xbox got the pop in the menu.

Isn’t it funny how in the past few months, more and more and more and more posts involve an Xbox? How is it that Sonos has not been able to recreate this error on their end? The answer is obvious. 

Why they have yet to issue a warning or acknowledge this issue, involves reputation and sales. Which going forward, I will endeavor to warn anyone I know who is eyeing a Sonos Arc, and if they’ve already purchased one to NEVER plug in an Xbox product to the Sonos Arc.

I don’t own an Xbox, and have never changed the hardware configuration of my TV since purchase.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Maybe. 

But if that’s true they sold a product as Atmos certified only for it to be incapable of doing so. I don’t care if it only has issues with MAT. It’s their responsibility to release a product that works as described. It doesn’t say “incompatible with MAT” which puts them as the accountable party in these issues if it cannot be fixed. 

The funny part is I have yet to experience this on an Apple TV 4K even when using Dolby Vision and Atmos on both my Arc and Gen 2 Beam. It’s only been my Xbox. I’m sure it’ll happen on my Apple TV soon enough but I don’t understand why I’ve had the issue with Xbox but not Apple yet. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

i wonder what happened with tom warren set, did they fixed it for him, tried to ask him in twitter but he didn't respond 

its shame that sonos don't have anything to say about this issue, no ETA for fix

If I understand it correctly, @tomwarren disabled eARC (thereby dropping from Dolby MAT to DD+ Almos) to avoid the issue. I think his attention shifted to other topics once he was no longer affected.

Or you can hop on the conspiracy crazy-train and speculate that Sonos let Chris Welch etc know that they will lose their preferred access to Sonos execs and upcoming products if they keep on this issue. :)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

New Arc owner here. With Sony now rolling out the PS5’s Atmos update, should I be cautious of using that mode for audio output?

Yes, beta users here reported the pop after switching to Atmos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

After all the software updates, I decided to test again. Apple TV playing Apple Music in Spatial Audio → Sony 900H → Arc/Ones/Sub. All OEM cables. 

It took a little under 6 minutes until pop and audio loss. Diagnostic: 1209526902.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

@ProfessorFrag were your Xbox series X set to 120hz when the pop sound happened ?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Well I am deeply disappointed in Sonos at this point.  The reply I got was simply that they know of the issue and it is not their fault so I should just disable Atmos.  If that's the case then I want them to update their Arc product page to say NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XBOX/APPLETV/ROKU.  I feel cheated right now and even though I know it most likely isn't ALL Sonos fault here, other manufacturers have seemed to push out firmware updates that fix Atmos issues with these devices. If nothing else it seems only the Sonos gives the loud BANG whereas other manufacturers just have crackles.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @William_61 et al

We are aware of this behaviour and are investigating it, but we do not have any additional information to share on a resolution at this time. 

We are also aware of other manufacturer brands experiencing the same problem. Some users have reported it with in-built TV apps, so it is not limited to X-Box and Apple TV owners.

The issue only happens when playing Atmos content, so in the meantime, you can prevent this from happening by disabling Atmos audio on the TV or source device - not ideal, I know, but if it has happened to you before and you are concerned about it happening again, this step would prevent it.

I hope this helps.

First of all, THANK YOU for at least acknowledging the issue, that is a first major step to put consumer minds at ease a little.  I perfectly understand things taking time (software developer here) but just want to know that the issue is at least being worked on, and if Sonos is sure it is not their issue, then we need to be able to know what to tell other manufacturers (i.e. Apple/Microsoft) so that we can get a resolution at some point.  As many have reported, $800 is no small chunk of change to spend on something that has a glaring issue, so we want to at least know that things are being looked into so we can expect some sort of resolution at some point.

Now for others, I have done some more troubleshooting on my side and noticed after a factory reset of my TV (Sony XBR75X90CH) the issue hasn’t YET repeated.  Now, a setting IS different this time in that when I enabled eARC, it didn’t automatically change the HDMI3 channel to “Enhanced Format”, and it is still in “Standard Format”, which according to Sony means it is running in HDMI 2.0 mode instead of HDMI 2.1 for backwards compatibility.  Now, the strange thing is, the Sonos app is still reporting “Dolby Atmos” when playing content from my Apple TV, but from what I have read it is a compressed version of Atmos instead of uncompressed if HDMI is running in 2.0 mode instead of 2.1.  Long story short, this might be a “better” compromise in the meantime if your TV allows running the ARC port in backwards compatibility mode.  I will report here immediately the first POP that I get, but I went from seemingly every 10 minutes to watching a couple hours without issue so far.  Also for reference AppleTV was on 15.5 when I disabled Atmos, and is now on 15.6 as well.  I’ll take compressed Atmos for the time being over no Atmos if this truly is what is preventing the POP.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have the problem since March 2022. And I tried all the things called here. All without success.

Finally I read that you should turn off trueplay and then run Dolby Atmos MAT. I wanted to try that next.