Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss

Show first post

1200 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Apple TV 4K seems to be a common denominator for a lot of the reports.

UPDATE: I had an HD Fury Arcana which I used with my older TV that only had an ARC port (never had this issue then). I have not used it since getting a new TV with an eARC port. I decided to try the HD Fury and have not encountered the issue in the last 48 hours. For clarity the below is the setup:

Apple TV 4K → HD Fury → Video to TV eARC and Audio to Sonos Arc system

If this resolves the issue, it would not be ideal for most since the HD Fury is a 249USD device.

I actually have an unused Arcana that I haven’t sold on yet but I don’t think this solution will work for me as I have multiple devices going into the TV that need to send sound to the Arc (happy to be corrected on this assumption!!).

Although I do have a 4K Dr HDMI which I might try between Apple TV and TV so see if this sorts out what seems to be some kind of a audio signal problem…

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Well I am deeply disappointed in Sonos at this point.  The reply I got was simply that they know of the issue and it is not their fault so I should just disable Atmos.  If that's the case then I want them to update their Arc product page to say NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XBOX/APPLETV/ROKU.  I feel cheated right now and even though I know it most likely isn't ALL Sonos fault here, other manufacturers have seemed to push out firmware updates that fix Atmos issues with these devices. If nothing else it seems only the Sonos gives the loud BANG whereas other manufacturers just have crackles.

Totally agree. Sonos needs to publish a disclaimer that these devices are not reliably compatible with Arc and could produce very loud popping noises and audio loss.

At the very least Sonos should offer those who are having this issue an opportunity to return their Arc. It’s false advertising to say Dolby Atmos content is available using these devices. 

If you're experiencing a loud pop followed by audio loss on your Sonos Arc soundbar, it could be due to a few different factors. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Ensure the Sonos Arc is properly connected: Check that all cables are securely plugged into their respective ports, both on the soundbar and the TV or audio source.

2. Check the audio source: Verify that the audio source (TV, streaming device, etc.) is set to output audio to the Sonos Arc. Check the audio settings on your device and ensure it is correctly configured to send audio to the soundbar.

3. Restart the Sonos system: Power off the Sonos Arc and any other Sonos components you have, including the Sonos app. Wait a few seconds, then power them back on. This can help resolve temporary software or connectivity issues.

4. Update Sonos software: Ensure that your Sonos system is running the latest software version. Open the Sonos app on your mobile device or computer, go to Settings, and check for any available updates.

5. Reset the Sonos Arc: If the issue persists, you can try performing a factory reset on the Sonos Arc. Keep in mind that this will erase any custom settings or configurations you have made on the soundbar.

6. Contact Sonos support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Sonos customer support for further assistance. They can provide specific troubleshooting guidance or determine if there may be a hardware issue with your Sonos Arc that needs to be addressed.

Remember to consult the Sonos user manual or support resources for detailed instructions specific to your model and setup.

Regards;

David Johson.

Interesting. I am owner of Sonos Home Theatre (Sonos Arc + Sub 3rd gen + 2xOne SL) for almost 3 years, owning Apple TV 4K (2021) - Dolby Atmos enabled, PS5 - all connected into LG OLED TV CX (eARC enabled, CEC enabled, Passthrough enabled) and I have never experienced the Arc popping sound. 

I am paying for top-tier Netlifx, Disney+, HBO Max, Apple Music, playing Atmos movies from native LG apps, Apple TV apps, Apple Music, but never experienced it.

When I will be able to test PS5 beta firmware, I will test as well.

May be the only 40Gbps HDMI ports on LG TV CX has something to do with that, but so far I was lucky.

None of those four examples fit the behavior described in this thread.

The only thing any of them have in common is some sort of general “popping sound”. Users here are reporting that their Sonos soundbar, when playing Atmos content from an Apple TV or XBOX, makes a loud noise and crashes, requiring a power cycle to fix. I’ve yet to see an example this exact same behavior reproduced by any other soundbar.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

@Corry P THANK YOU for acknowledging the issue. That step alone make me feel a lot better. The runaround from Sonos support (go change the cable) had been disheartening.

@bromos I have the exact same model TV and my Apple TV is hooked up to one of the physical HDMI 2.0 ports (XBOX is on HDMI 2.1, Arc is on the shared HDMI 2.1/eARC port). I’m afraid I get the pops all the same.

However, I believe having the port set to “Standard” takes you all the way down to HDMI 1.4, as in you can’t even get 4K60 or HDR on “Standard”. I recommend checking into that on your Apple TV.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

X900H (XH92)

Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen)

Arc

2x One Surrounds

Sub (Gen 2)

Seems like most of us here experiencing the issue are using surrounds; just checking for consistencies, has anyone experienced without rears?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I run my Xbox Series X without Auto HDR. Also Dolby Vision is disabled because my TV lets you have VRR or Dolby Vision but not both. I run it at 4K60 VRR. 

I have gotten the pop within the last week with Atmos on. I have since turned Atmos back off.

Dolby Vision off is not the solution. 

The Dolby Vision disabled solution only works for Apple TV. With Xbox Series X, both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos must be disabled.

Not true.  I am a very heavy gamer and have Atmos enabled for all my gaming.  I haven’t had the issue since deactivating Auto HDR which forced Dolby Vision

After reading the comments, I’m starting to wonder if this is a TV passthrough thing.   I have a LG C1 for the record

Had the same thing happen to me a few days ago. Once when watching a movie from iTunes and once from Disney+.  Both were outputting Dolby Atmos at the time. 

My setup:

Sony X900H 

Apple TV 4K (2nd Gen)

Arc

Sub (Gen 3)

Userlevel 3
Badge

Can anyone confirm if 14.12 fixes the pop issue? I haven’t had a chance to test my Xbox yet.

Same issue. Has occured3 times now. Xbox Series X and an Arc..  very loud pop then no sound. Application says that it is still connected to TV, but no noises/music.

Connected to Sony TV with eARC back to the arc. Cables not loose.

Report #1393335637

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I am on 14.12, and I just had it happen again.  Was getting excited for a minute there because I hadn’t had the issue in over a week and a half

Sigh :(

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Well I am deeply disappointed in Sonos at this point.  The reply I got was simply that they know of the issue and it is not their fault so I should just disable Atmos.  If that's the case then I want them to update their Arc product page to say NOT COMPATIBLE WITH XBOX/APPLETV/ROKU.  I feel cheated right now and even though I know it most likely isn't ALL Sonos fault here, other manufacturers have seemed to push out firmware updates that fix Atmos issues with these devices. If nothing else it seems only the Sonos gives the loud BANG whereas other manufacturers just have crackles.

Totally agree. Sonos needs to publish a disclaimer that these devices are not reliably compatible with Arc and could produce very loud popping noises and audio loss.

At the very least Sonos should offer those who are having this issue an opportunity to return their Arc. It’s false advertising to say Dolby Atmos content is available using these devices. 

The problem is that they were compatible, and it's not all Atmos sources that are affected.

I bought my Arc in December 2020 and had absolutely no issues until I updated the OS of the Arc, Apple TV, and/or my Bravia XH92 in September 2021. They were all updated around the same time, with seemingly no downgrade path, so it's impossible to deduce which.

Just ordered both beam and arc to see which is best. With all this going on, should I just return the arc and keep the beam?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Unfortunately, also need to report this issue. Started happening today when playing Xbox Series X on my LG C2 with the Arc connected. Really loud pop when playing Forza Horizon 5 and now it keeps returning. Hope Sonos comes through with an update to finally fix it for us all.

I had same issue yesterday night, it never happened before. Seems no solution available. In the meantime change XBOX audio output from ATMOS to DOLBY DIGITAL, not the best solution but it works

Do you have Dolby vision enabled in tandem?  I turned that off and it completely solved the popping issue for me

Userlevel 1
Badge

Had this happen again today & scared the heck out of me, 4th time in as many months when I was turning off the series x, every-time this happens I feel as if it will be the one to break a speaker, so frustrating.

For those of us not really interested in combing through 35 pages of this, is there a solution or anything that needs to be done for anyone who experiences this issue?

I’ve had my Arc since launch with no issues ever, and just started seeing this issue relatively often

Userlevel 1
Badge

Same issue. Has occured3 times now. Xbox Series X and an Arc..  very loud pop then no sound. Application says that it is still connected to TV, but no noises/music.

Connected to Sony TV with eARC back to the arc. Cables not loose.

Report #1393335637

Sounds like the same thing that happened to me, have you noticed any degradation in sound quality since it happened? Mine sounds like it’s broke now :( Waiting to hear back from Sonos about it but they seem to be avoiding the issue here on the forums. @Simon B Hope you can provide an update as to why this is happening? 

I have a Sony X85 91j with a second gen apple tv 4k.  I set the HDMI interface to Dolby Vision on the Google TV.  The TV was fully up to date and Apple tv is as well.   The apple TV was set to Dolby Atmos as auto and Dolby Vision.  I have a Sonos Arc with  2 Gen 3 Subs and the SL rears using the eARC interface off the TV.  I have the same loud popping sound when playing any movie with ATMOS off the apple tv.  If I use the built in apps on the tv or a Amazon Firestick 4k Max I did not experience the issue.  It has to be something with the appletv.  Im not sure if Sonos or Apple needs to do the update to correct this?

If Sonos are saying it’s not their fault - I can’t ever see them going onto make an announcement that it’s some other companies fault - that’s certainly not the way to build on a relationship between partner companies.

Sonos are doing the correct thing and saying nothing about whoever is responsible here, they’re simply just saying it’s not their issue. If changing the ‘other’ connected hardware solves the issue then maybe that helps to go some way to maybe confirm what Sonos says.

I can perhaps partly help on that point, as I don’t have an Xbox nor an Apple TV 4K, but I do have an Arc connected to an LG C9 TV together with a FireTV 4K and a Nvidia Shield (amongst other things) and I’ve not once experienced the popping or crackling issues mentioned in this thread. So maybe some inferences can be drawn from that fact 🤔?

Do you turn Dolby Vision off from the TV, Apple TV or Sonos itself?

and once you do aren’t you loosing something? 

Thanks

S

hello everyone. 

I have just started to have this issue and I contacted sonos support, I have owned the arc for 18 months and the issue only started now after the latest update. 

They mentioned the engineers are working on it and there is only 2 known workarounds at the moment, which is crazy considering this has been a known issue for atleast 2 years. 

I am using Xbox series x on a Sony x9000h, does anyone have any better ideas other then the workarounds provided by sonos below? 

Workaround 1: Disable CEC on HDMI connected devices, then reboot these devices as well as the TV by unplugging from power for 60 seconds then plug it back in. a. This may allow Atmos content to be played, but cannot be guaranteed. Workaround 2: Disable Dolby Atmos and use Dolby Digital 5.1 instead.

I have the same problem. 
It happened to me twice, for the moment, while watching a movie  on my AppleTV. 

diagnostic : 878538476

I have the same problem since a few months now. Xbox Series X; Sony XH900 with Arc + ONE SL + Sub.

my support file: 1523225932

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Corry P THANK YOU for acknowledging the issue. That step alone make me feel a lot better. The runaround from Sonos support (go change the cable) had been disheartening.

@bromos I have the exact same model TV and my Apple TV is hooked up to one of the physical HDMI 2.0 ports (XBOX is on HDMI 2.1, Arc is on the shared HDMI 2.1/eARC port). I’m afraid I get the pops all the same.

However, I believe having the port set to “Standard” takes you all the way down to HDMI 1.4, as in you can’t even get 4K60 or HDR on “Standard”. I recommend checking into that on your Apple TV.

I’m not exactly sure what the limitations are of “Standard” but I ONLY use HDMI3 for the ARC, and from what I’ve read the worst case scenario is that I’m getting compressed Atmos instead of uncompressed when doing so.  The weird thing to me is that I would expect if you enable eARC that it would force HDMI3 to Enhanced, as they SHOULD go hand in hand, but that doesn’t seem to be the case, as I have eARC enabled with HDMI3 set to “Standard”.  I wish they wouldn’t dumb this stuff down so much that we have no idea what’s going on so it could help with troubleshooting some.  Technically speaking, Atmos shouldn’t work at all unless using HDMI2.1/eARC, so maybe eARC enabled “overrides” the Standard/Enhanced setting somehow?  There are some on other forums (AVS) that have this same combo without issues and I wonder if its this setting (leaving it as standard) as the reason why?  I’m really hoping this “fixed” it for me, but I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong at some point in the next day or 2.

I have AppleTV 4K gen2 on HDMI1 set to Enhanced Format running at 4k60 DV and Xbox Series X/PS5 on a 2.1 switch on HDMI4 set to Enhanced as well (for the awesome crappy fake 4K120)