Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Sorry all - exact model number is UE55JU6400KXXU
Hi all,

I have a Samsung UE55JU6400 TV with the Sonos drop out issue.

The current firmware on my TV 1214 & when I do a check for update it says no update available.

Should the firmware update to resolve the issue by applicable to my TV?
Badge
This is huge. I'll check this weekend, but I'm praying that I can remove the HDMI switcher from my setup. What a mess that has caused (even though it does work). I just hope that I don't reset all my Harmony One activities and then, for some reason, the firmware update didn't correct the problem. This issue has been my absolute biggest challenge with Sonos.

Since this update is a Samsung firmware update it won't have any affect on Sonos, that said, we did just have an unrelated software release today so it's possible that one makes your Harmony One unhappy. Have a good one and let us know if you have any trouble.

Right, but I had to add the HDMI switcher to my activity list so it could switch appropriately. Nothing to do with Sonos, per se.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This is huge. I'll check this weekend, but I'm praying that I can remove the HDMI switcher from my setup. What a mess that has caused (even though it does work). I just hope that I don't reset all my Harmony One activities and then, for some reason, the firmware update didn't correct the problem. This issue has been my absolute biggest challenge with Sonos.

Since this update is a Samsung firmware update it won't have any affect on Sonos, that said, we did just have an unrelated software release today so it's possible that one makes your Harmony One unhappy. Have a good one and let us know if you have any trouble.
Badge
Exciting news guys, we have confirmation that Samsung has released a firmware update (version 1455.0) to address this issue on the JS and JU TVs. You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

The update will install automatically on televisions that have a network connection, and automatic updates enabled. If you don't have them enabled, the television's firmware can be manually updated by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, Software Update, and then select Update now.

Once this is done, feel free to set the TV's audio output back to Dolby Digital if you had set it to PCM. Let us know how it goes!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
We've reached out to Samsung on details around the update version for the UK TVs, they might be rolling out the update a little slowly to other regions. I'll let you know when we have more details and not speculation.

Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Same as TopperXP here. My TV is on version 1452 and when I check for a software update through the TV it tells me it is on the latest version. I'm in the UK.
Badge +1
Exciting news guys, we have confirmation that Samsung has released a firmware update (version 1455.0) to address this issue on the JS and JU TVs. You can verify the installed firmware version by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, and then highlight Software Update.

The update will install automatically on televisions that have a network connection, and automatic updates enabled. If you don't have them enabled, the television's firmware can be manually updated by pressing the MENU/123 button on the remote, then selecting Menu, Support, Software Update, and then select Update now.

Once this is done, feel free to set the TV's audio output back to Dolby Digital if you had set it to PCM. Let us know how it goes!

Is this applicable to the UK ? or is it just for the USA? there is no mention of this firmware version on the UK Samsung Support site, latest version for the UK is 1452.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi there, I have this exact problem with my JU model curved Samsung, except even with the TV turned off, audio still cuts out exactly the same whilst being played through the Sonos app through the computer or my phone. Any ideas?

Hi Wobble, the symptoms are the same but I think your system is also experiencing wireless interference.
I'd be happy to check your system. Can you send us a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic.
Userlevel 2
Hi there, I have this exact problem with my JU model curved Samsung, except even with the TV turned off, audio still cuts out exactly the same whilst being played through the Sonos app through the computer or my phone. Any ideas?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
TV is in the middle of the wall. But then if I stream movies from my NAS or Amazon Prime etc, then the sound will only come through the TV and not the SONOS

Got it. In this case, the best would be to contact our customer care team by phone and let us do the technical work with your help. We can guide you through some steps if you give us a call on our support line when you have some time to troubleshoot.
Let us know how it goes.
I have the Samsung UE48JS8500 with Soundbar, sub and 2 play 3's for the surround. When it works its great. We only occasionally experience a drop out - not every hour and not every day either.

Hi Lance_Shaw, welcome to the community.
Would it be possible to wire the PLAYBAR to your ISPs cable box? (if it has an optical port of course) Let us know how it goes.

Hi.

That's not possible as I have the cable box in the corner of the room with all the wires going out, along the outside wall in trunking and back in for the wall mounted TV with soundbar underneath. The TV is in the middle of the wall. But then if I stream movies from my NAS or Amazon Prime etc, then the sound will only come through the TV and not the SONOS
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have the Samsung UE48JS8500 with Soundbar, sub and 2 play 3's for the surround. When it works its great. We only occasionally experience a drop out - not every hour and not every day either.

Hi Lance_Shaw, welcome to the community.
Would it be possible to wire the PLAYBAR to your ISPs cable box? (if it has an optical port of course) Let us know how it goes.

If I stream a movie from my NAS, there is never any drop out - the same as from Amazon Prime - just normal Tivo. If we get the drop out and then rewind, it's OK.

Not going to PCM as it defeats the whole object of 5.1.

Hears hoping for a fix soon.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Was thinking of buying the Playbar for my Samsung UE40JU6470 until I ran into this incompatibility issue as mentioned in this thread.

I mean I really love my 2 Sonos Play 5 speakers which I'd like to add to the Playbar for the big TV (surround?) sound experience.

But for this kind of money, ie. the Playbar is more expensive than my Samsung TV, one should expect an error free operation.

From what I've read here it is not clear if Sonos is actually dealing with the issue, or merely pointing at Samsung (who's doesn't seem to be aware of any issues) for it to take action. So nothing really seems to be happening at all? What is actually the status of this?

Anyone running the Samsung UE40JU6470 with Playbar and noticing any issues? Just checking to be sure.

Just do not wish to spend this kind of money for nothing, or at least for something which appears to be below the normal Sonos standard.

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Never mind, found another thread.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It worked for me but you lose some sound quality.
Hi,

I think and hope the Sonos information is correct and expect that the support part of Samsung would not be aware of the plan to develop a fix.

No I haven't tried the other work around .. I will go looking for that thread

Cheers Ken
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hi Ken, thank you for that information. If that is in fact the situation, that would be very disappointing because that would mean Sonos is giving false information to all of its customers.
I'm going to contact Samsung as well, thank you very much.
By the way, did You try the " temporary fix"'that was mentioned on another thread?
( changing the HDMI audio format on the TV to PCM and Setting HD Audio to ON"?
Hi Mikedagreek,

I have a similar issue with the Samsung TV. Sonos indicated that Samsung are looking to develop a software fix. However, when I emailed Samsung support they were not aware of any intention to provide a fix. It maybe worthwhile to register your issue with Samsung. Hoping that if they receive lots of complaints they may actually do something.

Cheers
Ken
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you for the reply Ryan. Even though I did the temporary fix, I'm hoping Samsung will correct the issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Question, if I'm just listening to the Playbar along with the sub, will I hear the difference in sound when the Dolby setting is switched to PCM?

Good question. Strictly speaking, Dolby Digital can have up to 6 dedicated channels of audio, the 6th is the ".1" in a 5.1 system, which is the channel for a subwoofer. This means that when you're playing a DD5.1 signal, you will likely have a fully dedicated channel for the SUB.

The PCM format is stereo in this case, so only left and right are being sent to the PLAYBAR, which in turn will create a surround solution out of that signal. You will absolutely hear a difference with the SUB on PCM. On any stereo signal, the SUB will pick up the low end of the audio and sound throughout the room. It may be more pronounced with a Dolby Digital source, but you certainly will be able to tell a difference.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Question, if I'm just listening to the Playbar along with the sub, will I hear the difference in sound when the Dolby setting is switched to PCM?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the update! I REALLY hope you guys can finagle a fix between you and Samsung. I can definitely feel the loss of depth and surround effects when my TV is in PCM.