Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have a KS9000 and do not experience this issue.
Revising this; I have now experienced this issue. During a 5-hour playback yesterday we noted a 1-second dropout. KS9000 running software rev.1142.

Im on 1142 aswell and its not the telly, as i have tried direct from the sky Q box and it was still happening. Everything was fine till the update.

Oh, that's rich.

Sonos has been blaming this solely on Samsung (read through the thread), but c'mon man..... Do people with Vizio soundbars complain about dropouts? Oh, and what's that, Vizo can do DTS over optical? It's like the person they paid the least was the guy who had to design the input controller....
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Revising this; I have now experienced this issue. During a 5-hour playback yesterday we noted a 1-second dropout. KS9000 running software rev.1142.

Im on 1142 aswell and its not the telly, as i have tried direct from the sky Q box and it was still happening. Everything was fine till the update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Anyone notice an increase in dropouts with the release of Sonos 7.0 update? My JU6400 was working perfectly after I updated to the latest Samsung firmware, but after updating to Sonos 7.0 yesterday there was a huge increase on dropouts - they were happening every few minutes.
I have a ks9000 and mine has starting droping out since i updated it yesterday to the point everything will stop for up to 3 seconds then it will come back on then might not happen again for a while. Its starting to get me down as i have tried everything and nothing helps.

It'd be best to give us a call on our support line for this one. We're continuing to test the Samsung TVs to make sure there isn't an issue hitting all of them, but so far we haven't identified an issue that hasn't been unique to the home setup. There was a big issue that we found and helped Samsung fix, but there are many other things that can cause audio cutouts on Sonos regarding the handling of the audio, starting from a potential issue with the stream you're getting to the home, and then from that point to every component that touches it up until it plays at the PLAYBAR. A lot of factors get involved here, and any one of them could cause audio to cut out. We'll help you in every step of the way investigating the issue and helping to find where it's breaking down.
Userlevel 4
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Anyone notice an increase in dropouts with the release of Sonos 7.0 update? My JU6400 was working perfectly after I updated to the latest Samsung firmware, but after updating to Sonos 7.0 yesterday there was a huge increase on dropouts - they were happening every few minutes.
I have a ks9000 and mine has starting droping out since i updated it yesterday to the point everything will stop for up to 3 seconds then it will come back on then might not happen again for a while. Its starting to get me down as i have tried everything and nothing helps.
Userlevel 3
Badge +7
Switch your TV and playbar off at the wall for five minutes.

i have a ks9000 and mine has started droping out like a mofo to the point playbar drops for about 3 seconds then comes back on. this is since last night when i done the update. Its starting to get me down.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just updated to 7.0 this morning. Will report back. However my JS7000 has been dropping like gangbusters ever since I got Sonos, so I'm not hopeful anyhing got fixed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Switch your TV and playbar off at the wall for five minutes.
Userlevel 4
Does the dropout issue still exist on the KS series of Samsung televisions?
I'm experiencing this on a UN55KU6300 as soon as I put Dolby Digital on as well, most fresh FW. The Connect with wired surrounds not getting much use. 😞
Does the dropout issue still exist on the KS series of Samsung televisions?
Badge
So a friend finally told me 45% off on sonos, and I'm about to bite the bullet, then I saw this thread.

My equipment
Samsung UN65JU6700FXZA
Samsung playbar with wireless sub
Verizon fios

My plan was to use my two play 1's as rear speakers and use a playbar and sub and get rid of my current setup.

Now it seems like that would be a bad idea since there seems to be issues and no end in sight.

Thoughts?
Userlevel 1
Badge
It's a known bug with Samsung passing "dirty" signal over optical. Sonos freaks out and drops audio. Hence the subject of this thread.

I actually just redid my wifi network and all routers are now hardwired via ethernet. Sonos music/app is much more stable.
Leftmywallet,

I wish I could help you. I've got two Vizio TVs, both connected to Playbars, and I don't experience any dropouts whatsoever. I'm guessing it is the implementation of your TV manufacturer for the optical out codec that is the problem, which you seem to be working on by installing new firmware to the TV.

As to your music playing issues using the Sonos, I'd bet that some of your speakers have duplicated IP addresses with other devices in your home. There are many threads out there on how to reboot your wifi system to help deal with that issue. To be honest, the one I finally defaulted to, as a result of the fact that there were devices that I couldn't power down, was assigning static IPs to each speaker. Worked like a charm!

Best of luck. A functioning system is absolutely amazing, and lovely to listen to.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Firmware 1464 loaded this morning. Will see if it does anything.....

Still getting dropouts.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So before I buy a playbar, will I have issues with my TV which is, UN65JU6700

I have a samsung soundbar, which the only really issue is, sometimes it doesnt turn on when I turn on my tv, which is no real problem from what some of you are having.

YES YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. It's not huge, but having the audio drop out occasionally for a $700 soundbar is unacceptable.

Sonos sounds great.

Doesn't work so good.

Hell, my Sonos app on my iphone is so hit and miss....... Nothing like having the music blasting, want to turn it down, and suddenly the app refuses to respond or loses some of the speakers in the house....

grumble, grumble
Badge
So before I buy a playbar, will I have issues with my TV which is, UN65JU6700

I have a samsung soundbar, which the only really issue is, sometimes it doesnt turn on when I turn on my tv, which is no real problem from what some of you are having.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Firmware 1464 loaded this morning. Will see if it does anything.....
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Following a lot of experimentation with my system (you name it, i've done it and tested it) . Tv, bluray/pvr, Sky HD box allconnected hdmi and optical through a switch.

I do not get drop outs from the combined bluray/pvr box - playing BR or live broadcats (Samsung set to output DD)

I do not get drop outs from any recorded programme from pvr or Sky box

I do not get dropouts from iPlayer or Amazon via the tv or bluray.

I only get drop outs on live TV from the Smasung TV to playbar in DD and live TV from the Sky box (the latter both from hdmi and optical)

So dropouts from two independent sources. IIRC other dvices have had drop outs too.

Correlation does not equal causation but it would, in this instance, indicate a potential link. Rather than it being the sending device it is the playbar that is introducing the drop outs.

A bit of lateral, maybe well off centre, thinking and what is the difference between recorded and live signals. Is it the EPG/PDC (Electronic Programme Guide/Programme Delivery Control) codes embedded in the signal causing the playbar to drop out? Are these signals stripped when being recorded and, of course, there is no need for them when playing a disc.

I was originally happy to ascribe the drop outs to Samsung but since the Sky box (and other devices have reported the same problem elsewhere on the forum) i am coming round to thinking that it is actually a Sonos problem - the playbar doesn't like the embedded coding in the data stream causing it fail - maybe some kind of checksum foul up?

I do hope that Sonos can categorically deny it is their playbar that is causing the drop outs and they are going to fix it pronto, or if they state it absolutely has nothing to do with them then what is it in the data stream being received that is causing it to do so.

I do not, and at present just can't, believe that various devices can't output a proper DD signal. As Samsung's own playbar works just fine...Samsung deliberately hamstring other brands? Nah! Nice conspiracy.

To add: i usually only watch recorded stuff from the Sky Box so never noticed the problem until I watched some live TV quite recently.
Badge
1463 is WORSE!!!!! MUCH WORSE!!!!!! However, I've found a fix: if a source is dropping out, switch to PCM then back to Bitstream and it seems to settle down.

I'm sick of this.

Sonos has got some serious shortcomings that just can't be fixed.

Edit: I take it back. I just did the PCM to Bitstream trick, and my current DirecTV show stayed stable for 10 minutes and is now dropping every 20 seconds. So maybe I got lucky the last time.

Wow. I'm not seeing anything like that. I do think the problem is most noticeable with DirecTV, but I'm probably at only 2-3 drops an hour. Some streaming sources (e.g., Amazon, Netflix) don't seem to be affected us much.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Oh, and now I'm getting micro drop-outs in PCM.....

I give up. Sonos is pretty, sounds great, but is garbage for TV.
Userlevel 1
Badge
1463 is WORSE!!!!! MUCH WORSE!!!!!! However, I've found a fix: if a source is dropping out, switch to PCM then back to Bitstream and it seems to settle down.

I'm sick of this.

Sonos has got some serious shortcomings that just can't be fixed.

Edit: I take it back. I just did the PCM to Bitstream trick, and my current DirecTV show stayed stable for 10 minutes and is now dropping every 20 seconds. So maybe I got lucky the last time.
Badge
I received a message this morning and it looks like there was a new update (1463). I'll see if this improved anything.
What is going on with this Sonos. It's been dragging on for far too long. It's clearly not an isolated incident as numerous owners are complaining about the same issue. I've just had firmware 1470 installed on a JU6400 and its still dropping out, in fact its worse that the last firmware. Please sort it out.