Answered

Samsung JS/JU Model TVs Audio Issue with PLAYBAR

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

214 replies

Update: new firmware still drops out.
Ugh.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Update: new firmware still drops out.
Userlevel 1
Badge
New experiment. Samsung updated to firmware 1500. Audio delay changed from 50 to zero (well, I'm still debating 0 or 10).

How many of you used the TV's audio sync delay and got dropouts? Vs using the Sonos sync delay? I have always had the TV do the work.
Yet another reason that Sonos' refusal to provide HDMI is baffling. It's not because optical is simpler and they should stop with that excuse. I think they just don't want to spend the $$ on R&D.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Good point. They've already admitted there's an issue, both vendors apparently agree there's an issue, and they thought they had a solve.... They unfortunately did not.

It's a shame my $2000 Samsung will be crippled with Sonos. It's a shame my $1400 Playbar + Sub will be crippled with Samsung. I spent **way too much money** for this embarrassing problem.
Userlevel 4
I wouldn't think so. I'd imagine both companies are aware of the issue, and are working to resolve it. It may be all at one end, or the other, or somewhere in between. But most of these companies, Sonos included, don't tell the customers what they're working on, so as not to set unreasonable expectations.

In my years of live support on games, I've seen several cases of "yes, we've fixed that bug" fall apart at the last second with an unexpected consequence, and get pulled from a software release. If I'd promised the fix to our customers, I'd have been roasted, and they'd have been quite unhappy. Better to keep quiet, and then announce it with the release of the software. Shoot, there were many bugs we never let people know about, even when we fixed them. It's not about crowing the accomplishment of the team, it's about getting the experience correct. None of my programmers were happy when a bug was found. And they would do everything possible to figure out the fix.

You are quite right, but there's a point - especially when it's an issue with connectivity to something made by another firm - when engineers get grumpy and start just blaming the other party and give up.

If, for example, the Sonos half of the problem was in their digital input hardware, then there's perhaps no immediately obvious firmware fix. That doesn't mean it's impossible, only unimaginative fools use the word "impossible", but "harder than I have time to fix" and "requires more ingenuity than I possess" are phrases I've used myself, though, in similar situations.

Note two things:
1. That response post, at the top of the thread, makes it clear that Sonos think this is something Samsung are fixing, and
2. They've left it up long past the time when it's become very obvious to the many customers of both that there's no fix in place.

So I personally think they've given up even managing this issue at their end; they're certainly not following the announcement principles you just described.

Issue persists with latest revision of JS/KS-9000 software, I had dropouts last night.
I wouldn't think so. I'd imagine both companies are aware of the issue, and are working to resolve it. It may be all at one end, or the other, or somewhere in between. But most of these companies, Sonos included, don't tell the customers what they're working on, so as not to set unreasonable expectations.

In my years of live support on games, I've seen several cases of "yes, we've fixed that bug" fall apart at the last second with an unexpected consequence, and get pulled from a software release. If I'd promised the fix to our customers, I'd have been roasted, and they'd have been quite unhappy. Better to keep quiet, and then announce it with the release of the software. Shoot, there were many bugs we never let people know about, even when we fixed them. It's not about crowing the accomplishment of the team, it's about getting the experience correct. None of my programmers were happy when a bug was found. And they would do everything possible to figure out the fix.
Userlevel 1
Badge
So at this point, should we consider this glitch unsolvable?
Userlevel 1
Badge
That's what my layman understanding is. It's 100% digital. It's not like a older movie print where the Dolby Digital was written to piece of magnetic tape on the 35mm print.
Certainly possible. But then the question becomes why is the TV sending so much garbage? it's supposed to be a digital connection, the clarity of the data should be there. It's either a zero or a one, right? 🙂
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would think, simply, it's a matter of more robust error correction or tolerance. Sonos doesn't have aggressive enough error correction.

I recall reading a thread about Dolby error correction in theaters and how the decoding box would display how much noise and garble the signal incoming had, and how much error correction it was applying to interpolate bad packets.

Also, since other TV's don't have this issue, there must be extra garbage in the Samsung ouput. So it's not entirely Sonos' fault...... but if a Vizio can work on a Samsung without drops..... then maybe Sonos needs to spend some more R&D time on their gear.
Badge
The problem HAS been isolated. Samsung optical output sometimes sends garbage packets. The Sonos cannot rectify them and drops out.

if that is true then how is it non-Sonos devices don't have this issue when connected by optical to a Samsung TV?
I've had a high end Yamaha Soundbar and now Kef LS 50 wireless speakers connected to the optical on my JS9000 and neither of these have this issue. If Samsung had this issue with all other devices it would be very widely known.
That's why I wonder if the Playbase will have this issue or if Sonos has a fix in that devices optical connection.

I've thought about that as well - I own an JS8500 and recently changed from an HDMI 5.1 HT-in-a-box system to the Q-Acoustics M4 soundbar (which uses optical) and never once experienced audio drops with the M4 (or the HTB for that matter). My understanding it becomes an issue only on surround systems connected via optical. So clearly it seems that JS owners' last hope is that Sonos finally decides to integrate HDMI in their future products.
DarwinOSX,

If I were to guess, I'd suggest it's the implementation of the parser for the data coming in through the optical connection. In my mind, some companies add their own "features" so that they can send special commands to their own sound bars, and do "special" things. Completely unsubstantiated thought, though. But that would cause an issue to the implementation in other sound bars, when it receives a data command it doesn't comprehend, since it was built to the Dolby Digital specs, and doesn't know how to process "extra" data.

I'd suggest that some sound bars are more tolerant to this kind of 'extra' data than Sonos might be. And if I'm correct, Sonos may want to add some additional tolerance in their software decoder.

But as I say, I'm just guessing at this. I can't come up with any other rational explanation as to why certain soundbars don't have this problem, and Sonos does, with specific TV types. All I know is that with 2 Sony TVs, and 2 Vizio TVs, I've not had a single problem of this type.

And I suspect there's some communication between Sonos and Samsung, for instance, that they're unwilling to share publicly, trying to track down the issue. I'm sure neither side is willing to accept blame in the eyes of the public, but I do find it interesting that to this point, most of the "fixes" have come as firmware updates to the Samsung line of TVs. But then again, Sonos could have easily hidden their own updates to the code in their more frequent software updates, so who knows?
The problem HAS been isolated. Samsung optical output sometimes sends garbage packets. The Sonos cannot rectify them and drops out.

if that is true then how is it non-Sonos devices don't have this issue when connected by optical to a Samsung TV?
I've had a high end Yamaha Soundbar and now Kef LS 50 wireless speakers connected to the optical on my JS9000 and neither of these have this issue. If Samsung had this issue with all other devices it would be very widely known.
That's why I wonder if the Playbase will have this issue or if Sonos has a fix in that devices optical connection.
Badge
Hello Ryan,

Now that PLAYBASE has been officially announced - can you confirm whether audio drops are to be expected with JS/JU TV models?

I created a thread specifically on that topic: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/samsung-jsju-model-tvs-with-playbase-6765842

I'm a UN55JS8500 owner and I'm very eager to join the Sonos users community.

Thank you.

This has gotten much worse for me in the last 6 weeks or so.

TV Model: Samsung UN55JU7100
TV Software: 1467
Sonos: 7.1 (Build 341637101)
Diagnostics: 7160631

I haven't heard any big updates on this one lately but if you haven't yet, it'd be great to take a look at this live with one of our technicians. They'll be able to collect some details and if needed forward them on.
Badge

I haven't heard any big updates on this one lately but if you haven't yet, it'd be great to take a look at this live with one of our technicians. They'll be able to collect some details and if needed forward them on.

Ryan, thank you for the reply. Last night I had 4-5 drops during Homeland that were about 3 seconds long. Before, they were much shorter (around 1-2 seconds). In response, I made a change to my network configuration that I'm hoping may clear this issue up. I'm going to give it a few days and see if it improves. If it doesn't, I will contact a technician and see if we can troubleshoot.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Userlevel 1
Badge
I've given up, El Jefe. It's too bad I spent $2500 on this TV, I'd replace it with an LG OLED or something if I had my money back.
Badge

Here still no dropouts when ungrouped, dropouts when grouped with other speakers. Didn't see any updates though. Which version for TV and Playbar?
Badge
Any updates to this issue? I seem to have more frequent and longer drop-outs now with the latest Samsung firmware and updated Sonos software.
Very possible. Probably after a firmware update
Userlevel 4
Not at all, just that the issue dissappeared for me after doing so and I wanted to share this here so that others with the same setup can test this and see if it solves their problem. I'm sure there are multiple root causes for the same issue, in my case the ungrouping solved it.
I'm predicting you'll be back in a few days/weeks to say "Oh actually it's happening again".
[quote=ReggieD]So are we concluding that everyone who ever reported this issue had their Playbar grouped to speakers outside of their HT setup?

[quote=uncledave][quote=ReggieD]

Not at all, just that the issue dissappeared for me after doing so and I wanted to share this here so that others with the same setup can test this and see if it solves their problem. I'm sure there are multiple root causes for the same issue, in my case the ungrouping solved it.
Badge
So are we concluding that everyone who ever reported this issue had their Playbar grouped to speakers outside of their HT setup?

[quote=uncledave]So basically, the solution is to "downgrade" from 5.x to 3.x?

No, what I mean is the ungrouping of other speakers in other rooms. Not the surround speakers!