Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
They should be sued for false promotion.. Disgusting!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
BTW it was also very upsetting to see the email headline for the playbar... Hear Every Detail !!
The disconnect between the marketing messages and reality is astounding
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
i also received the email promoting the playbar as able to play everything connected to your TV with full surround.
With all the recent comments on this forum and Facebook, it seems very clear to me that regardless of the official comment that SONOS hears the request, they don't give a damn about customer satisfaction and are only concerned with selling.
I am amazed at the lack of connection between their marketing department and listening to customers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another promotional email this morning:

'Hear every detail'.......

https://sonos.custhelp.com/ci/documents/view/1/AvUa~wozFP8SLvHDGoke~yL~Jvsq~zT~_8VVMDr~
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality even DTS-HD Sources play on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
Add me to the list. Was going to pull the trigger on a play bar and sub after my play 3 and bridge purchase. Love the streaming features of it so far. But without something as basic as DTS support... Not going to drop the cash on something that won't deliver the ultimate surround experience as your company plasters all over my tv in commercial form every 30 minutes. You're loosing lots of customers SONOS. Sort it.
I want DTS support now :-)
count my vote
This is an astonishing thread. I'm glad I found it before purchasing a Playbar so that I was able to think again and save wasting my cash. The official responses are a joke. No new information to be shared? Incredibly unlikely. I imagine there is a heap of information to be shared, but it's likely that it's not good news and so Sonos keeps quiet. Why else would people be kept waiting for so many months for something like this? Imagine if the Play 1 had released with no support for MP3 or FLAC, and then people had to wait 9 months for any concrete news.

Something bad this way comes, and it's probably called Playbar 2.
Userlevel 2
I already have two connects and a connect amp. I will not buy a playbar, sub, and wireless rears until this obvious connectivity issue is resolved.
I've voted for DTS too.  I have several Sonos devices however I won't upgrade my Yamaha YSP1000 sound bar to a Playbar until DTS is added.

If this is a "licensing thing" then why not allow people to buy the license separately.  This is how Raspberry Pi support legacy MPEG2 codecs on their devices.  I realise it will rankle with some people that they have to buy something else to get DTS, however for those people who genuinely won't buy this product until it has DTS it will provide another option.
Dave:

I just ordered a Sonos Playbar and Sub to pair with recently purchased play1s.  Unfortunately I didn't do my research before ordering and didn't realize thet the soundbar would not support DTS.  Hopefully, you will announce that support for DTS is forthcoming in the next couple of weeks so I can avoid the hassle of returning these items. 

I don't pretend to know whether it is in the companies best interest to add support for DTS, but If it isn't, I would appreciate knowing your decision so we can find alternatives for our home theater sound system and concentrate on optimizing our Sonos system for it's intended designed purposes.

Thanks for your consideration.
Just invested in a new Panasonic 65VT60. Already very happy with Sonos PLAY:5, PLAY:3, PLAY:1 and CONNECT:AMP. Next logical addition was to replace 10 year old H/K receiver and wired speakers with PLAYBAR, SUB and and add'l 1 or 3 for rears. Seems that the "HDMI through the TV" recommended playbar setup by SONOS is worthless to me without DSP support. Hooking up as is would be a sound downgrade to stereo and the optical switch workarounds defeat the purpose of the simplicity of the system and don't help me with Netflix streaming from the TV. I HOPE I'm missing something otherwise add me to this list hoping to see more than "under consideration" from an otherwise great company.
If you own an HDMI receiver that does not have Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoding, then you can set the HDMI Audio for PCM. This tells the player to use its own internal decoders to decode the selected soundtrack on the disc, be it Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, etc. Most (but not all) new players have both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA decoders built in. So, set the player for PCM, and it will decode the audio and send it in the form of multichannel PCM to your receiver over the HDMI cable. 
So for me everything worked out great, I hate to write but i have to share this with you guys, so i was aware of the whole dts situation of the system but then i still bought the system because i found some software that convert movies from dts to dd5.1. Just one week earlier i bought a Sony KDL-50W656 TV because it finally can play MKV files and so on. So what happened NOW is crazy because i did a research online for about 3 weeks, didnt find anything and then had the luck to find out by myself just like that.. that TV not only passtrough the dd5.1 signal but if i open a MKV file with DTS or any other audio it sends it out by optical in dd5.1 so EVERY DTS Movie i have plays in full DTS quality on my Sonos System!!! This is really true, and real dolby digital 5.1 no pcm or any other shit. from dts to 5.1. I havent tried over hdmi, this was with files in my network. I am fuckin happy like hell!!! i tried it with some dts test files in mts with mkv and other files
Sonos, John M, we deserve an answer! And a concrete one.

John, don't you think it's a bit scandalous that Sonos hasn't yet given an answer to a question that was posed 8 months ago? With no satisfying response in between? 
Hi John, How about an easier question ... Can the current Playbar be upgraded, via firmware, to support Dts playback? A Yes Or No answer will suffice. Answering that question may at least give some of us hope.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi All
I have just received the comment below from John M on another thread (What source of true surround sound is compatable with play bar) Take a look for the full conversation.

No progress at all then, and the same old reply. 
What is the problem SONOS ?

We hear the request on DTS but we do not have any new information to share on the possibility of DTS support at this time.  The status is still under consideration.
The PLAYBAR supports both stereo PCM and Dolby Digital sources.  This information is available in multiple places online but for reference, you can find the full requirements here.
Dolby Digital Plus is not a supported codec because it is only passed through HDMI, not optical.  As you know, the PLAYBAR was designed to connect to a television via optical and does not feature HDMI.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
John- This kind of an answer from the company like yours is not acceptable. After waiting for so many months, all we get to hear is there is nothing to be shared. Very sad.
Badge +18

Fabian,  

We hear you but unfortunately we do not have an update to share at this time.  This topic will be the first place we update once there's any new information.

John
Userlevel 2
Userlevel 2
Any chance of an update from someone at Sonos please?
Hello, I've just got a Play:1 and I was checking the other "pieces" to buy a complete set for my smart tv...now seeing that it has only one optical input and DTS is not supported I think I will wait to see if you will ever support it or not. I'm ready to pay (a lot) more but I think not only the price should be "premium" but also the (basic for this kind of devices) features should be.

Following this topic for updates...