Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

https://www.facebook.com/sonos/posts/10152075829359699

like my posting!
Badge
Why is this decision taking so long? Please provide an update. We have supported Sonos by paying a premium for your product. Please support us by adding DTS.
i agree. this is advertised as a home entertainment device.  TrueHD and DTS are home entertainment requirements.  no exception.  i just picked up a playbar and sub today and got it home to realize that TrueHD/DTS are not able to be delivered over an optical cable.  

big miss.
Please add dts support for the Sonos Playbar. This is an amazing product and even better when teamed up with the Sub and Play:1/Play:2 combo. But having to find workarounds for a product this expensive should not be necessary. As many people have pointed out - there are cheaper options that support both dts and Dolby digital. Please at least have the consideration to provide us with an update on this. It has been 3 months with no word. Please Sonos. Make it a Christmas gift for your customers!
Userlevel 2
I already own a couple of Sonos components and love them all. I would also love to buy a Soundbar, a Sub and two Play 1 units for my living room. But, as long as DTS is not supported, this is not gonna happen. If i pay a premium price for hi-fi equipment, I except it to work flawless with all kind of audio tracks.
A few hours ago I was on the way to order a playbar with sub and rear speakers, but now knowing DTS it's not there, knowing the playbar or I should netter say the Sonos system, isn't able to work as every 5.1 system I stopped thinking about my order. Sorry Sonos, great system but really bad decision. Furthermore without statement I can't buy, because I never know if there is an upgrade possible or I have to buy another one in a few months....
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Whatever it is, it is unfair to the customers who have invested so much into their products to get the surround sound experience. They have to come up with a workaround (charge few etc bucks one time who want DTS and already have a playbar), or something else..But this kind of support is not warranted
Mostprobably this has to do with licensing costs for DTS. Especially for already sold playbars the cost has not been included in the price, hence this is a major financial loss for Sonos if they choose to implement as they cannot charge the customers again. Poor product design and market research on Sonos side.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Some type of update would at least settle everyone posting and posting... Come on guys. 
Userlevel 2
@Al:
I would go with the PS3. It's very affordable now and overall a great device for gaming and of course movies. The DTS2DD conversion works just fine. The sound is awesome.

@topic:
Perhaps the negotiations with the DTS company are really just taking "a little" longer. The license fee thing could be more complicated, because of the streaming features: If you not only have the Playbar but also two Play3/1 as rears there could be a fee for every one of this stand alone devices. And whats with other Sonos devices in other rooms/zones. You can stream the DTS signal to every Sonos product in your house. Would that mean to pay fees for this speakers too??? Perhaps thats the deal... But if it is...no...WHATEVER it is, this politic of non comnunication / ignoring the customers in this threat and on facebook is absolutely unacceptable from Sonos. I really dont understand this. Every other question gets answers, but for this one they are dead.
Aubrey: that would not work as the TV probably downgrades both DTS and DD5.1 to stereo before giving it to the Playbar.  So having the AV receiver in there would make no difference.

You could output from the receiver directly to the Playbar.  But I don't know of any receivers that will do this.  As far as I can tell, the only equipment that will do the conversion is a few select Blu-ray players.

I'm hoping for a definitive answer to this issue before Christmas, as it would be nice to enjoy some 5.1 from my Blu-rays over the holidays: shall I buy a PS3 now to do the conversion, or should I wait for DTS support?!
+1 for DTS support. But I really doubt Sonos will announce anything in the near future. So would the following idea be a workaround? Getting an AV receiver to decode the DTS of any source and supply DD 5.1 to my TV that is optically connected to the Playbar. Would this work?
+1 for DTS support. But I really doubt Sonos will announce anything in the near future. So would this idea be a workaround? Getting an AV receiver to decode the DTS of any source and supply DD 5.1 to my TV that is optically connected to the Playbar. Would this work?
I have the possibility to change the audiosettings of my Blu Ray Player manually to PCM, then it works. But it is a pain in the ass......
Yes it is Time!
Badge
Really IS TIME you got this Sorted Sonos
Badge
Really IS TIME you got this Sorted Sonos
come on give a Update
Please add this feature as this is the only thing that's stopping me from purchasing a full 5.1 sonos system
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
There is also an issue is being reported in many threads regarding sound drop outs from the playbar from TV broadcasts.. One that I have been following has been archived and is not visible to community members, even though the followers are still commenting on this issue. I have been suffering the same issue for several months and recently gave up trying to resolve it as the conclusion from Sonos support teams is that the issue is due to lots of HD broadcasts being in Dolby Digital Plus which is not fully supported by the playbar. The only way is to downgrade to stereo which defeats the point of investing in a high end surround system.
I am starting to think that there is a real problem here that SONOS are hiding by archiving threads. With the DTS problem from BluRay and the DD+ issue from Netflix and HD channels, there are not many sources left that the Playbar supports. 
What are SONOS going to do with all these problems from a complete lack of correct product development.
please add DTS as I will be unable to have surround sound from my XboxOne!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
@All- till the time Sonos come up with the response (not sure if they will), use this software to convert DTS to DD 5.1 of your mkv files..It does a pretty good job in audio converstion..I understand it is a hassel, but it's worth it especially after spending so many bucks on this playbar. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn-MKV-AudioConverter
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Amen @Roel Jetten
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Sonos please add a working DTS codec for the Sonos Playbar that's all what we Sonos Playbar users want, its a shame that It still not is available!! Come on Sonos keep the good work on and install those DTS codecs to the Sonos Playbar! I hope Sonos listening to his customers and will add soon the codecs, than it will be a fantastic system!!!
Userlevel 2
how about a little Christmas update on this Sonos? Just an ETA on when a decision will be made would be better than the infuriating silence we have at the moment!