Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Hi John
how is the state after three months? "DTS" is Bluaray standard and here we have only stereo and not 5.1. With DVD we have AC3 5.1 but then a bad picture. Sonos advertises we bring your home theater to the rock. For me it rocks only in old DVD and not with Blueray.
What is the status?
Please add dts to sonos playbar!
It's fucking annoying to create workarounds (with less audio quality)!
I was so close to buy the all set with Playbar, Sub, and 2 x Play:1. Then i discovered this DTS non-support. My reaction was : "what a joke ! Dolby but not DTS ?!". How can you speak about home cinema with no DTS ? Impossible. Ready to pay 1600€, but with DTS. Otherwise i will buy nothing or something else to concurrent. So ridiculous...
Like everyone, I am waiting badly for this! Implementing DTS would make this system one of the best.
Missed the boat Sonos , bought a yamaha ysp-3300 which is excellent really pleased and its GOT DTS and cost £350 less
Userlevel 2
Badge
when will DTS be supported. it's unbelievable that it is not!
i can't watch most of my movies which are in DTS only!
I want to add Playbars to two of my TVs, but I won't do that until DTS is supported.
Lack of dts decoding is the #1 thing keeping me from getting a playbar. I love my other sonos components. With the addition of the play 1 and its ability for two to be used as the rear surround speakers, it seemed like sonos had a legit 5.1 system. But there is no way I'd get equipment that won't play audio from most blu rays.
I too wish I could get true 5.1...I've started reencoding my library with dual audio where available, but most blurays simply don't have dolby audio, it's all dts-hd, and in cases where it has acs 5.1, it's only for french/spanish/etc tracks.

PLEASE give us dts. Like many others with the playbar, I'm very much invested in this system, and I don't want to get anything else. With Bose and Samsung pushing the wifi audio thing, would it not make sense to make this happen? I mean, it's not some strange and obscure audio format, it's pretty common.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks Oliver, we should use social media by all means to bring this out in public. May be then they would take a stance..
Hi
how is the state after three months? "DTS" is Bluaray standard and here we have only stereo and not 5.1. With DVD we have AC3 5.1 but then a bad picture. Sonos advertises we bring your home theater to the rock. For me it rocks only in old DVD and not with Blueray.
What is the status?

@ All I do not like Facebook, but I have good connections to a few major newspapers in Germany publishers.
I would also would like it, I just hope it's a software update!
Userlevel 2
I would like to see DTS Support Added As Well
Hi John
What is the status?

@ All I do not like Facebook, but I have good connections to a few major newspapers in Germany publishers.
Userlevel 1
Yes, please go to their Facebook page.
Maybe they'll feel more pressure if more than 250K people see this instead of a couple forumites.

Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/sonos
Badge
We should all be making this monumental flaw aware on their FACEBOOK page... I only took me one comment to cause a SONOS member to cover up what I said with total lies. 
Badge
It should be a simple yes or no answer, not an ambiguous "under consideration". They could be simply stringing people along with the potential of it coming to help claw at more unwary consumers. Makes me sick.
Userlevel 2
I still can't believe that a simple yes or can take so much time. Last week I purchased a Sub afer I bought my playbar a half year ago. I'm still a very happy customer, but no additional products will be bought, for example: play1 or play x2 because fake surround is not what the customer is spending is money on when watching DTS encoded movies.

Come on Sonos let us hear your voice!
Can someone at Sonos please tell me why are you only just considering and not implementing, after all this time it must be you simply just cannot do it because you would be left with a lot of ex-DTS stock that will not sell possibly, just a thought.
Userlevel 2
Another 3 months have passed since the last official anouncement - please make a decision one way or another!

Userlevel 2
"DTS support was not included in part because the vast majority of televisions do not pass DTS audio from their optical ports. This topic is currently marked as Under Consideration as a possible future enhancement."

To the Sonos gurus, most user's are not using the TV pass through function via the optical output. There are well known optical switches out there which are being used to feed sound direct from the component to the Playbar. One of these components is a DVD player and if the DVD is encoded for DTS only, then no sound is heard. Please forget the TV DTS pass through capability issue and realise that there are other options for feeding the sound from a device to the Playbar. Count my vote for DTS please.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Cant believe just got a promotional email on playbar stating it is a complete package for surround sound! They should be dragged to consumer court for false marketing!
Sonos please let us now!!! Will the Playbar support DTS or not?
Userlevel 2
Unbelievable, I just caught up on my emails and spotted the Playbar one. I cannot believe they are happily promoting with a thread like this just being ignored! I routinely recommend Sonos to anyone who is looking for something for music around the house, but this really is taking the piss. At least say that the Playbar won't be supporting it and then we can move on, or that some form of progress is being made. Where can we go next, Forums don't seem to do anything, facebook, doens't do anything....?
Userlevel 2
I just purchased the Sonos Playbar and the Sonos Sub to actually listen to the products despite the DTS limitation. Quite honestly, I love the system, but the lack of DTS support is a fatal flaw that is preventing it from even be considered a serious home theater component. Will return both tomorrow and will purchase the obvious competitor's product.

Sonos, please add DTS support to the Playbar, it's a great product with a terrible, unavoidable defect.