Please add support for DTS for the Sonos Playbar.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1190 replies

Sonos' lack of transparency on this topic has really ruined their reputation for me. I used to be a huge Sonos fan, but the way they are handling this DTS issue is terribly disappointing. They've had enough time to come out with a clear message to customers, but have only left people with an "under consideration" statement. Part of paying premium prices for Sonos products is expecting premium service, unfortunately this is not the case.
DTS support please, have to switch between PCM and Dolby eachtime I watch a movie. This is really annoying so please count my vote and add DTS.
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Lack of DTS will prevent me from buying a Playbar. Come one Sonos !
Agree with the post above, the company silence on this issue is pathetic. It's just rude and dishonoring to your customers.
Playbar needs DTS support. It can't be a surround sound system without it.
Playbar needs DTS support. It cannot be a surround sound system without it.
John M- do u have an update for us or shall we wait another year??
An official non-response response to the thread for the first time in months? Sounds about as good as my Blurays do when I try and play them through the Playbar...
Couldn't agree more, I have been waiting for 10 months + now for Sonos to release DTS support on the playbar. I am waiting to buy both the sub and playbar once this is confirmed.
The playbar is an out of date product at this stage... adding DTS should be of highest priority. I can't believe this is not something you are trying to do now! Amazes me.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks, I like to be optimistic. Love Your system, and want to stick with Sonos for long time. Thank you.
Badge +18
Vineet, I do not have an update at this time. You will be notified via email when an update is made to the thread.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
That's correct i have tested it out  (DTS AND DTS-HD) and indeed there will come dolby digital 5.1 out.
However this is not what we Sonos users want, Sonos must Licence DTS for the Playbar then only we can enjoy the real DTS sound.Come on Sonos Just Do It!!!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
count my vote DTS Support please!
I am using Sonos in order to listen to music, mainly P1s. I really like the system.

Until I found out that Sonos does not support DTS, I was thinking about buying the Playbar and the 2 P1s for surround sound for my TV.

Instead, I will now probably go with http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/home-cinema/cinebar-51-set-p8457.html , as this supports DTS.

I can only say that you are losing out on a lot of potential customers like myself.
We need all DTS in the Playbar. Come On Sonos Change it now.
Won't buy the following equipment without DTS Support: 1x Playbar + 1x Sub + 2x Play 3 !!! Already have several components from Sonos for stereo music and I love them; now it's time to also support my cinema room with a Sonos setup; please treat this issue as top-urgent !
I also very strongly request DTS to be added to the Playbar. Unless this is done I will not further invest into any SONOS equipment (currently have the SUB, 2 Play 1, 2 Play 3, 2 Play 5 and the Connect, so I consider myself to be a heavy user. Not adding DTS into a modern soundbar is really not up to my expectations of SONOS, which I hitherto always strongly recommended. So, Do yourselves a favour AND ADD THE DTS FEATURE!
DTS +1
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Just purchased a Playbar and would really appreciate DTS to be added ASAP.
If there's a business case to include the license in a $200 soundbar, the cost can't be prohibitive to Sonos' earnings on the Playbar. Or they could choose to sell it as a software addon. I'd be angry, but less so than now, and I'd probably end up paying for it.
imo it's not about technical ability, it's more about costs. DTS is an audio technology owned by DTS inc. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(sound_system) )
Sonos has to license the technology.
Even some 200$ Soundbars support DTS, so i don't know why Sonos seems to be so "close-fisted".
😞
Userlevel 2
I must say that had i known at the time I brought the Playbar that it did not do ALL 5.1 inputs the I may not have brought the Playbar. Please get this sorted ASAP as the reason I purchased the product was to eliminate wires from my living room and this was supposed to replace my old suroundsound system with no wires. As others have said it can't be that hard for a company with your technical ability.
Even if it's a hw limitation, create and sell a simple box that will convert DTS 5.1 to DD 5.1. Make it small so that it fits on the back of a tv, powered by a usb output on the tv. As it exists in some TVs and BR players, it must be possible.
Please add DTS now
Please add DTS now