Lost surround and sub ( after update ?)

Userlevel 3

Hi 

I don’t know if my issue is related to the 14.6 update but I noticed today that I had no sound from my surround (play 3) and my sub (Gen 2), only the Arc is working They are still present in the app under the my System view but now sound which every sources

When I reboot each of them, the sound comes back temporary, but when I switch to another source or audio format, thé Sound disappears again. Tried several times, same behavior

Thanks for your help

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1604 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Its back again - triggered when moving between AppleTV and Amazon Prime.

Experiment over.  Brad 0, Sonos 55.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m sad that we as users having to go through multiple troubleshooting steps, resets, messing around with our internet setups when it’s not our fault whereas the company who pushed the buggy update is just sitting and watching this unfold.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

One of the worst side effects of all this (apart from the obvious) is that you cut even decide to move away from Sonos and sell your kit to put toward a new kit. You would literally be selling this pain and torment to someone else.

We kind of really are sitting with an attractive Brick. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

One of the worst side effects of all this (apart from the obvious) is that you cut even decide to move away from Sonos and sell your kit to put toward a new kit. You would literally be selling this pain and torment to someone else.

We kind of really are sitting with an attractive Brick. 

Please push Sonos tech team to associate this to the parent case of subwoofer and surrounds drop out. It’s pointless raising concerns here, the more cases , the faster the resolution. I have been dealing with this since a month now. Even the last update didn’t fix it, I am aware they are working on something in the back end but they say we won’t know by when the fix will be ready. It’s quite difficult having to wait , so please voice it out on social media handles as well. The developer team needs to fix this on priority.

I spoke to a Sonos representative on the chat once again today and straight up asked for status on this issue. The guy knew about the problem and said that some users had had luck with using ethernet cable to the Arc. I tried, but no luck of course. He also said that they are aware of the issue and are working on it. 

I tried to get him to relay that they really need to get some more official information out regarding this as people are getting really angry about this, which he would try to. 

Badge

Today - after 5 day’s working - the issue occured again. So not making trueplaj adjustment is not solution.

What you think about WPA version? I have WPA3 now and as I know each device in WPA3 network is individually encrypted. Could it be reason that devices loose connection between each other?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Today - after 5 day’s working - the issue occured again. So not making trueplaj adjustment is not solution.

What you think about WPA version? I have WPA3 now and as I know each device in WPA3 network is individually encrypted. Could it be reason that devices loose connection between each other?

I really doubt its anything network related. I suspect its some software issue that occurs sometimes when switch codecs

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

All of my wireless Sonos gear (Move, Roam) is WPA3 only and I had no sync or loss issues until 14.6.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Hi all,

I was a bit premature with posting the original best answer message in this topic. While we have been investigating Topilouf’s issue, we have not seen an increase in surround audio errors and do not see anything that suggests that you all will experience the same issue following the recent update. If you do experience issues while listening to your Sonos system, we always encourage you to contact us and we will do our utmost to support you.

Apologies for any confusion caused.

Kind Regards

Corry P

@Corry P any interest in providing an update for us? I’m getting frustrated enough to consider returning my Arc and going back to my Playbar

Hi there, 

I have the same issue that often sub and surround are lost.

What I was able to perform several times now as a workaround was to switch audio to a TuneIn radio station playing some music for a few seconds and then switch back to TV sound again.

Then the sub and surround speakers work again for the TV audio.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi all,

I have also been experiencing the surround speakers (both Play:1s) disconnecting from my Sonos Arc in the last few weeks. The problem appears to be getting worse; I can barely make it through a 45-min TV episode without the surrounds suddenly going silent and needing to a) disconnect them using the app, b) power cycling them both, and c) adding them again using the app. 

Sometimes this only fixes the problem for a matter of minutes. In fact, I’ve given up and am just using the Arc without surrounds until this gets fixed.

The above workaround (thanks semmy) sometimes works, but more often than not the music stream only plays from the Arc as well.

This is all very frustrating and really detracts from an otherwise excellent product I’ve been very happy with for over a year.

Everyone suffering from this problem: Please take the time to submit a diagnostic, and reply here with the reference number, preferably within 10 minutes of the dropout occurring.  Simply stating the problem is not enough, Sonos needs data to pinpoint the cause.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Basic Playbook:

• Turned on Apple TV.  Played Atmos Film for 10 mins approx. All Good.
  • Switched to Disney Channel.  Played Atmos Film for 5 mins approx. All Good.
  • Stayed on Disney Channel. Selected DD multichannel 5.1 Film.  Subs and Rear not working at commencement of play. 
  • Went into S2 App, try to play the sub locate sound, nothing. (Like the ARC thinks its connected, but its actually not.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Basic Playbook:

• Turned on Apple TV.  Played Atmos Film for 10 mins approx. All Good.
  • Switched to Disney Channel.  Played Atmos Film for 5 mins approx. All Good.
  • Stayed on Disney Channel. Selected DD multichannel 5.1 Film.  Subs and Rear not working at commencement of play. 
  • Went into S2 App, try to play the sub locate sound, nothing. (Like the ARC thinks its connected, but its actually not.

what is “sub locate sound”?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Sorry, that was not clear. I went into the remove subs option and you can click a button so the sub makes a sound. This helps you identify what sub you are removing. However, there was no sound that come out of the sub. Despite the little icon fading whilst (if it was working) playing the sound. 

This just goes to demonstrate that the system ‘thinks’ it's all connected.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Sorry, that was not clear. I went into the remove subs option and you can click a button so the sub makes a sound. This helps you identify what sub you are removing. However, there was no sound that come out of the sub. Despite the little icon fading whilst (if it was working) playing the sound. 

This just goes to demonstrate that the system ‘thinks’ it's all connected.

ah yes I see makes sense. thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

O, and you can tell that the system thinks it's all connected as the frequency’s lost from the sub and rears are not redirected back to the ARC. If they were forced off (in normal working operation) the ARC take on some of the duties. But its pretty clear that during this issue, the ARC still thinks they are there…..

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

weird question. for anyone experience this issue that uses an apple tv, is your Apple TV on wifi or wired?

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

weird question. for anyone experience this issue that uses an apple tv, is your Apple TV on wifi or wired?

Wi-Fi for me Peter.  (And always has been since the start).

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Wired for me

Userlevel 1

Wired for me. Also happens while using the PS5 and Xbox Series X. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Wired for me

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I am so bewildered that some people are not having this issue - or it is taking a long, long time to manifest. I just can’t work out why some would have a working surround system and I can’t go 45 minutes or an app switch without the subs or surrounds stopping.

Badge

Due to this being my first time with a surround set-up and not understanding how 5.1 worked until recently, I thought I was affected by this issue, without knowing any better or what it was like pre-14.6, as I’d fully set up my new Arc + Sub + 2x One SL set-up - all within a couple metres of each other - within the 14.6 release.

Only the Arc, which is connected directly to my TV (via eARC), is Ethernet-connected to the primary router. I’ve not experienced delays nor reverberations, only a rear cut-out, which was rectified by disabling and enabling the rears in the app and hasn't appeared again since. Works very well in PCM 2.0, DD+ 5.1 and Atmos.

Maybe I got lucky… however, without knowing what it was like before 14.6, perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Userlevel 1

I’ve called tech support 3 times for this issue, only to be ran through network troubleshooting and told a different solution each time that only led to the problem occurring once again. The first solution they came up with was to disable one of my Wi-Fi bands (either 5ghz or 2.4ghz) because the router auto switching was causing the sub and surrounds to dropout… NOPE, still does it. Second solution was they were seeing a lot of Wi-Fi interference on their end when they ran my diagnostics so I needed to do power cycles of all components and delete and add them all back… NOPE, problem still occurs. Third solution was instead of hardwiring my sub to router I needed to wire the arc and that would solve this issue. Realize my arc is on a fireplace mantle and I’d have to run Ethernet cable down to router and as much as seeing the exposed wire would drive me crazy, it’d be better than not being able to enjoy anything I’m watching because I’m constantly listening and waiting for the sub and surrounds to cut out… NOPE, they STILL dropout. This would be my 4th call to tech support. I’m so frustrated at this point, they’ve taken all the enjoyment out of owning this system for me. Wish I would have bought the Sony ht-a9