14.14 is out, did it fix Arc+Sub for you?

• 23 August 2022
  • 84 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

RWPM;

Unrelated, but operating ceiling fans will tinker with the height channels and ceiling speakers. The Leslie Speaker deliberately invokes this effect.

I installed 14.14.  Wasn’t much different.  Out of frustration removed both subs and added them back. My system sounds like it used now.

Badge

Out of frustration removed both subs and added them back. My system sounds like it used now.

Did you run Trueplay again? I may try this to see if it helps...

Yes I turned it on. I did not retune. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Did some testing this morning. I don't have professional audio testing equipment, but what I do have is the app “spectroid” (free for android), so I can compare the results. All this was done with the latest firmware 14.14. All sliders at 0 and turned off the surround speakers.
For this test I have positioned an android phone on a fixed point while doing the measurements. For the frequency response I played a sample-file which sends a frequency from 320 to 20hZ. I have positioned the sub to the left of my Arc with the acoustic slot towards the main listening position.

t’s hard to see, but the red curve is what u need to look at. This represents the sub output with Trueplay disabled.

I

This graph shows the curve after I resented my sub (gen3) to factory default and re-added it again. Trueplay disabled. No difference with the first graph.

This graph shows before the reset with Trueplay enabled.

This one is after reset with Trueplay enabled. If you compare this to the graph before the reset, it doesn’t seem to make a difference to reset the sub to factory defaults.

Now the interesting part…. I decided to do 1 more measurement. This time with true play on after the reset and bumping the sublevel up all the way to +15:

With +15 it’s getting close to the rest of the curve, but as you can see it drops significantly after the sub gets as low as 30Hz.

The output of the sub is still not enough, but according to this measurements it’s acceptable for the time being until Sonos brings out a fix. If you realise that the Sonos sub under 25Hz doesn't suppose to do anything anymore, this drop between 30 and 25Hz seems to be acceptable in my point of view. So Trueplay enabled and sub-level maxed out gives the best result. So I can enjoy the wider soundstage while having a near-acceptable bass output from the sub (although it’s still about 8dB behind the rest)
When I do music playback and set the surround speakers to “full” the bass is very boomy and annoying, but if I set it to “ambient” it seems to sound ok.

It is still a big compromise if you compare it to 14.10, but I think it’s acceptable until Sonos get the fix out to us.
Maybe you want to try this out yourself and tell here what you think. Is it worth to lack a bit of bass and get the wider soundstage thanks to the enhanced voice clarity with Trueplay enabled? 

Hope this post can help some of you to get more out of your system while waiting for the fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

deleted

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just updated to 14.14. The issue with Arc+Sub is not fixed. Anyone with better luck?

I’m still not 100% clear that this is only effecting Arc+Sub-gen 1, subs? I have Arc+Sub-gen2 with surrounds and have had no issues.

No one said it was only effecting Gen1.

I have Gen3 and am impacted by this.

Even their public post doesn’t specifically say Gen1..

I have Arc + Sub Gen2 and don’t seem to have the issue either.  My sub sounds punchy and loud.  Does anyone with Arc and Sub Gen2 have the issue?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Just updated to 14.14. The issue with Arc+Sub is not fixed. Anyone with better luck?

I’m still not 100% clear that this is only effecting Arc+Sub-gen 1, subs? I have Arc+Sub-gen2 with surrounds and have had no issues.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Invalid question as Sonos has stated that 14.14 is not the fix for 14.12..

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I updated to 14,14 and I can now use the sub slider to increase or decrease the sub level. I could not do this with 14.12 so SOMETHING appears to have changed. Having said that, the sub doesn't go as high as it used to (although I can never have it too high in my room or it swamps everything).

It seems that, as with the recent sub/surrounds dropping out issue, not all systems get affected the same way. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I updated to 14,14 and I can now use the sub slider to increase or decrease the sub level. I could not do this with 14.12 so SOMETHING appears to have changed. Having said that, the sub doesn't go as high as it used to (although I can never have it too high in my room or it swamps everything).

It seems that, as with the recent sub/surrounds dropping out issue, not all systems get affected the same way. 

That’s with Trueplay ON, btw, both before and after 14.14

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Folks,

Later today there will be a software release and whilst we have been working to deliver the fix you have been waiting for, it’s not ready yet. We understand that it’s disappointing that this has not yet been resolved.  We can assure you that we’re working on making sure the Sub performs as it’s expected, and we’ll let you know as soon as there is any news.

Definitely appreciate the update Corry.  I am very disappointed that Sonos couldn’t at least roll things back to the way everything worked/sounded prior to 14.12 however.  It’s been ~2 months since the update “broke” the sub for thousands of users and that is simply unacceptable.  A quick rollback would have been the correct move on Sonos’ part and this is what should have happened.  Virtually every major software company (I work for one) has a way to cease rolling out a software update and revert to the previous build if something substantial is found to be broken.

Not trying to shoot the messenger and I do truly appreciate you providing us with an update, but I do not understand this decision (or lack thereof) by Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

After update my system did require reconfiguration of Arc+sub +surrounds to include initial setup of Trueplay.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@Corry P

Thanks for the transparency, much appreciated. Since we are now transparant to each other, can you tell us about what the sub-mini has to do with it?

I am bordered with something and just can't get it out of my head… I do believe, because te sub-mini has launched, the engineers clamp on the “new sound profile”, because they might be afraid to fix our problem, with the risk of killing the sound profile for the sub-mini. Because when that happens, the sales at the retailers will not be as high as expected. So they keep this bug in play until the sub-mini is in the stores for demonstrations to the customer, and after that, the fix will roll out to the public. Since once the demo models of the sub-mini are at the retailers, they probably won't update it anymore. So then it’s safe to roll out a fix, and that way everyone wins. Sonos sells their new product, and the existing costumers (for who are still using Sonos and didn't get rid of it) are happy too….

Just me thinking out loud… Just a thought, but the longer I think about it, the more sense it makes to (at least) me.

Shame American business is such, that not only do have to consider strategy like @JeroenVR details, there is probability that is has validity...

The sound is okay for me now

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That’s with Trueplay ON, btw, both before and after 14.14

That wasn’t an issue for the majority, nor was it the impact to why sub has diminished.

You either have excellent sub quality still, or you don’t.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Ok guys you have to turn trueplay off. My entire system is back to life after turning tureplay off!

Sonos already told us to shut off TruePlay, as a band-aid till they fix the issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Sounds fine to me. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Do you notice any difference in sound when TruePlay is on? In my case, it only cuts the base. When I remove Sub from the system, TruePlay doesn’t change the sound at all. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Deleted 

I’m onboard with everyone else on this matter. My sub has become none existent since 14.12. Whatever Sonos comes up with the sooner the better. Automatic updates will be off for now on. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

No problem with the sound for me. At first listen, no real change from 14.12 (which I am okay with). 

But the app itself had an issue with reconnecting with the system. I had to power off-on all speakers and my router. Hopefully a one-time experience.

vocals and center seem more pronounced but no low frequency from sub that isn’t up to +8 and it sounds flat and awful.  

It seems Sonos has released another update having the same version number but i guess the build number could be different. Can anyone confirm that please?  I did the upgrade 14.12 to 14.14 last night, but I am surprised to see another update from Sonos with the same version number.