14.14 is out, did it fix Arc+Sub for you?

• 23 August 2022
  • 84 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

These last 2 updates have been a mess. Besides the sub and trueplay issues, the overall volume is the worst for me. I know they say only the volume curve was changed but I don't buy it. I never used to be able to go near 90 - 100 now I max out and it still isn't as loud as it was with 14.10. Especially with atmos content. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve had automatic updates off and just checked for an update. After reading all of this I’m thinking I’ll pass on the update.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was just on a support call and I’ve been told that this 14.14 update was for some other thing, and doesn’t inlude fix for Arc+Sub 😮

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

This - “ if Sonos really wanted to tinker around to appease these people surely they should of placed these changes in the already existing voice enhancement button or create a second on alongside that one,”

Making changes to the existing sound profile without making it effectively optional is all wrong. Of, course, give people who don’t like the sound balance a way of changing it if they wish, but don’t force a new profile on people who don’t want it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Sonos - let’s all just quietly walk back from these “enhancements” and enjoy 14.10 the way we like it. We won’t even acknowledge this massive screw up ever again. We promise. 😃 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

They haven't changed anything , instead of the bass that we all paid for we got a neutered purring like a near dead cat piece of nice looking furniture... Thanks for nothing Sonos 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

@Corry P

Thanks for the transparency, much appreciated. Since we are now transparant to each other, can you tell us about what the sub-mini has to do with it?

I am bordered with something and just can't get it out of my head… I do believe, because te sub-mini has launched, the engineers clamp on the “new sound profile”, because they might be afraid to fix our problem, with the risk of killing the sound profile for the sub-mini. Because when that happens, the sales at the retailers will not be as high as expected. So they keep this bug in play until the sub-mini is in the stores for demonstrations to the customer, and after that, the fix will roll out to the public. Since once the demo models of the sub-mini are at the retailers, they probably won't update it anymore. So then it’s safe to roll out a fix, and that way everyone wins. Sonos sells their new product, and the existing costumers (for who are still using Sonos and didn't get rid of it) are happy too….

Just me thinking out loud… Just a thought, but the longer I think about it, the more sense it makes to (at least) me.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Sonos - let’s all just quietly walk back from these “enhancements” and enjoy 14.10 the way we like it. We won’t even acknowledge this massive screw up ever again. We promise. 😃 

I’d really like if they revert us to 14.10, but I want all the changes they brought - minus the Sub problems people are experiencing. So I think a reversion is a great band-aid, but these channel isolations on the recent update are amazing..

Userlevel 7

I just performed the 14.14 update and ran Trueplay. With Trueplay enabled, the bass is still weak on the Sub, but the Sub returns to its full glory with Trueplay disabled (per Sonos’ recommendation). Volume levels have remained the same, but I didn’t experience a noticeable drop in volume with the 14.12 update like many others have reported.

I’m still very happy with my Arc/Sub/Fives setup and still think it sounds fantastic. It’s one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I trust Sonos will fix the Trueplay issue with the Sub in due time and my system will sound better than ever.

Badge

Throughly disappointing that this 14.14 update seemingly hasn’t touched the sub issue, at least in my case here after performing the update and redoing TruePlay as of 5 minutes ago.

Updated mine earlier. Running just the Arc and sub Gen 3. I retuned trueplay. To me it sounds better than it was but by no means anywhere near as what it should. Still a huge drop in bass. Clarity is on point but if I youtube a bass test and toggle between trueplay off and on there's still a huge difference. Gonna keep it off until Peter Pee can advise on an alternative solution.

Come on Sonos, wtf is going on there?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just updated to 14.14, lo and behold, there were no sound from my One SL surrounds and sub! The Sonos APP could not find the devices and I was ask to reconnect. Took me a while (restart router … on/off spakers/sub …) but got nothing in the end. Connection failed. I decided to leave them alone and out of a sudden the surround (only the right side though) and sub came back to life. Still cant get the left surround to reconnect.

Come on Sonos. This is ridiculous and unfair. Buck up and fire those useless team running the show before your customers dump your speakers for good. 

Happened to me also. I unplugged and reset  everything including router, in the order prompted by the app. Worked after that for me. Worried about it for a bit but all okay after 24 hours.

Badge

I’m very sad to report that 14.14 has not fixed the sub issue for me at all. I updated, ran Trueplay again…

With Trueplay enabled, mid-bass is boomy and low/sub-bass is gone. With Trueplay off, sub bass is strong and mid-bass is lacking. Neither sounds great. For now, I have Trueplay off with Bass +6 and Sub +6 (my settings before 14.12 were all 0) but it still just doesn’t sound right.

Very frustrating. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I was reading this thread the other day and thought, maybe, yea maybe I'm hearing that, but tbh if no one told me I probably wouldn't have noticed.

My little fella is playing Fortnite right now and it sounds punchy and exciting.

There's a degree of placebo in all this. In any case I don't mind if Sonos tweak the sound signature as long as they get it refined as soon as they can. The cynic in me says the new sub product has something to do with all this - they're doing stuff.

Arc +gen2sub+ 2xPlay1s

Userlevel 1

Ok guys you have to turn trueplay off. My entire system is back to life after turning tureplay off!

I was a big fan of sonos but since the last update, my home theater is a garbage. No more punchs bass as before. Even when I do disable trueplay nothing change for me. For a billion dollar company, taking more than 2 weeks to fix a problem like this is inacceptable. When sonos was at their beginning I convinced many of my friends to buy sonos products. The price was premium but in my eyes and many others it was de rolls royce of connected sound.

I wait for the update to fix my problem since 2 months I think. When the update will be available I will turn autoupdate off and for now I will avoid any other sonos products.

When you take the time to lunch a new product (the sub mini) knowing that your main product (the normal sub) is still broken you clearly give the middle finger for your previous and actual consummers and you just try to sell new products.

good luck with this marketing strategy,I will be curious to see your results next year.

I own the sonos arc, 2x one Sl, 2 sonos five, 2 sonos sub, 2 sonos play 5.

For me until this company changes and become what it was previously I will avoid any sonos products.

good luck

Wow, it's more than two months now. Two months! Sorry, but i just don't feel secure anymore in buying you products.

Volume mapping has no effect on the ultimate sound quality, but it might influence our perception of how “powerful” the unit might be. If units ‘A’ and ‘B’ have identical maximum output power, but unit ‘A’ must be set to ‘20’ while ‘B’ must be set to ‘40’ for normal listening level, ‘A’ will be perceived as more powerful -- even though at the maximum control setting the units will have identical output.

In this example ‘A’ may be more difficult to control at lower listening levels because the steps are larger.

Sounds fine to me. 

Yes, I’ve not really noticed the Bass issues that some people refer to. The Arc with Surrounds/Sub playing either (Atmos/Dolby) Netflix movies or Amazon/Deezer music all sound fine here too.

The thing I noticed (mostly) was the change to the volume curve. So the volume slider is set higher in the App at our ‘usual’ listening level. It’s also certainly true that the speech/dialogue center-channel audio has improved.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

my PlayBar + Sub + Surrounds still sounds way better than the Arc + Sub + Surrounds even with the 14.14 update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

After a month of waiting, they don't fix the issues their customers are pointing at, and instead update was for other things, then I honestly think it's time to sell all the gear from Sonos and get the Sony hta9's.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

my PlayBar + Sub + Surrounds still sounds way better than the Arc + Sub + Surrounds even with the 14.14 update.

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on an ARC last month, Playbar Sub and Surrounds will do for now.

Won't be an ARC taking it's place that's for sure.

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

14.4 was not a fix for 14.12…Sonos said they’re still working on it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

The sub being absolutely nerfed has not been corrected. I won’t get into the Arc’s sound profile transformation, which I’m not a fan of either, because the sub being neutered is absolutely what’s most infuriating. 

Trueplay off or on, the sub used to absolutely floor me with how powerful it was. I have used the same songs to showcase it to friends and family since I set my system up, but those same songs are now completely lifeless. I wouldn’t show this system off to anyone at this point because quite frankly, it sounds like trash. 

This has been covered already in other threads but such a drastic change to the sound profile should be something the user has control over toggling on or off. To simply force a change on us that breaks what we initially paid for with no ability to roll back has got to be the worst move I’ve ever seen a company like this make. 

Thanks for the lack of communication, Sonos. You won’t be seeing another cent from this once loyal customer. 

What do you mean by “nerfed” though? If you mean that it’s simply not as overpowering as it was, then yes, it’s been corrected and balanced. I suspect your sound preference mirrors the trend of heavy bass at the expense of clarity and musicality. From my perspective the update’s made my Arc+Sub much more musical, and the Sub is more subtle and reinforces the sound (which it should), rather than lead the sound you hear. 

There was already a slider to lessen the bass if it was too much for you. It has not been “corrected”. I equate it to having purchased a Corvette and waking up to find they’ve installed a governor on it which no longer allows me to drive past 60 mph. 

My sound preference is having the ability to choose the output of my system, and the old way worked just fine for me no matter what style of music I was listening to. You can always turn it down if you need to, but taking away the ability to really crank it up is ridiculous. I don’t need a “subtle” $750 subwoofer. Give me a break. 

Badge

Never got to experience 14.10...I asked a tradesman home entertainment /automation installer with many years experience about upping to surround without amp and large speakers and said Sonos beam was best bang for buck.Bought arc/ sub combo to push it up a step...had to update to 14.12 immediately to set up...sounds way better than old soundbar but I wonder what the old version you guys keep saying is so great sounds like...I am a newb here .Maybe I should have stuck with Sony that has never let me down with anything...Expensive lesson unless they fix this I guess . sounds a little sterile and lack of real eq and levels is pretty weak. Peter P is the man with tests to prove it.Was thinking of getting sl1’s for rears but holding off now. trying to angle arc to get height channel to be over head instead of over tv. I know ceiling fan probably the problem but no way to add ceiling speakers as height channel with this system. 14.14 changed nothing for me